PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Epic Spell DCs

quick_comment
2009-06-09, 04:37 PM
I just found a line in frostburn, on the bottom of page 106

"Spells with a coldfire component require coldfire as a component and their DCs are reduced by 1 for each ounce of coldfire needed to cast the spell"

On p88: "Coldfire costs 50gp an ounce"

So to reduce a DC 1000 epic spell to 0, it would cost only 50,000gp, which is pocket change for even low level epic characters. Especially since your first epic spell is going to be one that sucks coldfire right out of the elemental plane of air, giving you infinite epic spellcasting power.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-09, 04:39 PM
marginally faster than calling solars if you can just write in that it sucks the fuel out of another plane as part of the spell but only marginally, the whole rule system of epic casting is so wonky it's a joke.

SSGoW
2009-06-09, 04:40 PM
do you know of anyone that has rewrote epic level rules?

mostlyharmful
2009-06-09, 04:43 PM
do you know of anyone that has rewrote epic level rules?

The homebrew forums got several versions based on epic feats, rewritten DCs and epic casting PrCs. They'd be happy to help. I think it was Afroakuma that worked out the last version but I could be wrong.

quick_comment
2009-06-09, 07:51 PM
Honestly, the best way to fix epic spells is to erase the entire thing. They just ask the player "what would you like your epic spell to do? Ok. Hmmm.... that will be a 1 minute casting time and cost you 100k GP and 10k xp to develop"