PDA

View Full Version : New Race: Muuten (PEACH)

starwoof
2006-04-10, 06:36 PM
http://www.lff.org.uk/image_library/2/3/189.jpg

Muuten
The Muuten (singular Muutan) are a race of burly cat people who are charged with the sacred task of guarding the Great Desert Wall.

Physical Description
Muuten resemble oversized humanoid housecats. On average they stand about 7 feet tall and tend to be quite fat, weighing in the area of about 300 Ibs. Their thick white fur and fat disguise their muscles. They have short digits on their hands and feet. Muuten have short stubby tails, which look as though they’ve been broken off halfway.

Personality
Muuten rarely use two words when one is appropriate. They are regarded as the best bodyguards and guardians on all of Altera for their great strength and determination. They are also known to be excellent bounty hunters, if not for any particular skill at tracking, then for their tendency to never give up. When a Muuten sets its mind to something, they will often succeed or die.

Culture, Relations, and Lands
The Muuten retain a large kingdom on the west side of The Great Desert Wall, in the Mute Valley under the Malachi Rainforest. Three centuries ago after a massive hobgoblin attack, the Muuten built the wall to keep out all denizens of the desert. The races largest city, as well as their capitol, is built right on the great white stone wall. Geeda is a wonder of fortification, built from the white stone that is common in the Mute River Valley. In three hundred years its walls have never been breached by any enemy. From time to time Ashwalkers come out from the ash plains under the mountains to trade Ash Chickens, Worm hides, and items stolen from hobgoblins. Humans from Kelevar to the south also occasionally make the journey to trade their goods as well. The Hobgoblins from the north don’t bother attacking the wall anymore, but sometimes cross the high mountains to make war on the elves. Muuten are often subject to Aeroki raids on the outskirts of their kingdom.
All Muuten are expected to have at least minimal training as warriors, and are often capable in the use of the mace from a very young age. They wear armor in a similar style of the hobgoblins, leather and banded mail being common. When going out into the desert they wear heavy white robes and turbans in the style of the Kelevarians, and they ride specially bred Ash Chickens.

Religion
Muuten worship Pelor, the sun god.

+4 str, -2 dex, +2 con, -2 cha. Muuten are strong, but they are fat and bull headed.
Medium Size
Monstrous Humanoid
Powerful Build – The physical stature of a Muutan lets him function in many ways as though he were one size category larger. Whenever a Muuten is subject to a size modifier on an opposed check, he counts as one size larger for the purpose of special modifiers. A Muutan also counts as one size larger for the purpose of a creatures special attacks based on size, as well as for wielding weapons.
Muuten gain +2 bonuses to spot and listen checks.
Mace Proficiency - Muuten are always proficient with the light and heavy mace. If they are already proficient with the light or heavy mace, they instead gain weapon focus with these weapons.
Determined – Muuten are very focused in what they do. They gain a +2 bonus on will and fortitude saves.
Languages: Common, Muuten. Bonus Languages: Aeroki, Giant, Goblin, Elven, Halfling, Kelevarian.
Favored Class: Fighter
Level Adjustment: +1

So, any comments, criticism? Since I removed half-orcs from my campaign I needed a race with a strength bonus. So I was scratching my cat when I thought "Hey, my cat is awesome!". So I created this. I planned originally for them to be mostly fighters, but as I went along I thought of how they were close to hobgoblins, and Samurai might make a good choice. (Hobgoblins in my campaign have samurai as a favored class, and +0 LA) Im pretty sure I got the LA right this time around.

I think Im almost done with these new races, maybe one or two more. I swear!

Oh, and I almost forgot:

Ash Chicken
Large Animal
HD: 3d8+4 (16 hp)
Init: +2
Speed: 60 ft
AC: 12 (-1 size, +2 dex, +1 natural)
Attack: Bite +2 (1d4+1)
Face/Reach:10ftx10ft/5ft
Special Qualities: Ashwalk, Scent
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6
---------------------------------------------------------------
Climate/Terrain: Desert
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Flock (3-20)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Allignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Large)

This creature resembles nothing more than a giant chicken. It is blood red, with a black beak, legs, and claws.

Ash Chickens are often used as mounts for anyone traveling long distances across deserts. The Ash Walkers keep them as food and mounts, as well as collecting their eggs. Ash Chicken eggs are about 8 inches long, and they are considered delicacies in other parts of the world.

Ashwalk: Ash Chickens move at full speed across sandy environments.

LordOfNarf
2006-04-11, 12:53 AM
Give them more bonesus, they have alot of stat penalties for a LA +1, give them +2-4 CON and maybe atomatic proficiency of bonuses with a mace, since they all use that. they also need more skill bonuses, this is fairly close (rulewise) to a goliath, and the goliaths have alot of extra bonuses, and bonuses to +4 str and +2 con, with only -2 dex, plus some skill bonuses and their jumping deal, and acclimated. These guys need more extra stuff to balance them out.

PS: what does (PEACH) mean?

starwoof
2006-04-11, 03:29 AM
Peach stands for Please Examine and Critique Honestly.

I was trying to make them as statistically different from a goliath as possible, and without actually digging out my races of stone I just kind of went from memory. I guess I forgot goliaths had... stuff. Maces are simple weapons, and pretty much every class can use them, so auto mace proficiency sounds like it wont be a huge bonus. Im thinking +2 con and some skill bonuses. But what skills....

Well, theyre sentinels and guardians, so listen and spot seem to be about right. But even after that they still seem a bit weak. So uh... help me out people!

Spuddly
2006-04-11, 03:54 AM
It's odd that they take a hit to wisdom, as that, mechanically, helps with saves.

Give them +2 fort / will bonus, racial.

Maybe spot and listen as inclass skills, always? They are cats.

If they serve as bodyguards, fighter makes more sense than samurai.

starwoof
2006-04-11, 04:02 AM
You know I was just thinking about how the wisdom bonus dosnt make a whole lot of sense. I was actually just about to swap it to charisma. So I did. Keeping the spot and listen as just +2 though. Maybe increasing a little... bu not always a class skill.

On the whole I think this is about right for LA +1. I may be wrong though.

And on a note that mostly just applies to me, I have to go back through my other created races and change a few things, as I evolve my campaign world more with each race I add. T_T

LordOfNarf
2006-04-11, 10:47 AM
The auto prof w/ maces is pretty weak, my suggesttion ( and i use this w/elves and their auto prof) is to give them auto prof, but if they are already proficient with the weapon, then they get an effective weapon focus w/the weapon.

400vip
2006-04-11, 05:25 PM
What does PEACH maen?

Tobaselly
2006-04-11, 05:33 PM
Ack I keep on looking at muuten and thinking " Why is someone making a race out of lamb meat?"

ahh Mutton *Shakes his head at himself*

LordOfNarf
2006-04-11, 07:00 PM
What does PEACH maen?

Please Examine And Criticise Honestly