PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the shell D20 questions - Viruses & gen. D20 question.

Foolster41
2009-06-09, 06:09 PM
I'm currently thinking of starting a Ghost in the shell D20 campaign, and I'm a little confused on how cyberhacking and viruses work. How do I define what a virus does? Does it use the Cyberhacks in the table below?
Here's the page for reference: http://www.serenadawn.com/GITS-InformationAge.htm

I want to create a "laughing virus" that makes people go into berserk laughter. So I think I want a basic+modular virus for a DC 20 to create and DC 30 to actually work on the victim, right?

Thanks!

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-09, 08:30 PM
You're not trying to use Cyberscape, are you?

Just go with Shadowrun 4E; it's got a slick system, wireless hacking, and it'd be really easy to give everyone cyberbrains and come up with some rules for hacking them.

Foolster41
2009-06-10, 01:27 AM
Uh, no. It's D20, like I said. The rules for hacking is there, I'm just having a little trouble understanding it.

Is Shadowrun available (legally) somewhere? I'd rather not have to come up with mechanics if I don't have to.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-10, 06:04 AM
d20 what? Cyberscape is the d20 cyberpunk setting/sourcebook. It's grotesque, taking the ill-conceived Cyberpunk 2020 netrunning solution way, way further: being online is a dungeon with squares and the programs are monsters with regular stats that you bash.

Is Shadowrun available (legally) somewhere? I'd rather not have to come up with mechanics if I don't have to.

Gaming stores, maybe bookstores, probably sold online too.

Foolster41
2009-06-10, 07:58 PM
d20 what? Cyberscape is the d20 cyberpunk setting/sourcebook. It's grotesque, taking the ill-conceived Cyberpunk 2020 netrunning solution way, way further: being online is a dungeon with squares and the programs are monsters with regular stats that you bash.
It appears to be based on the D20 Modern/Future SRD. What I've read of the rules in the GitS Site look nothing like that with mazes etc. Perhaps the things you mention is why they descided to build off the Modern/Future than use cyberscape.

Anyway, unless you can present a free alternative, I think I'll stick with this, thanks. If someone could answer my question instead of telling me I'm using the wrong system. that'd be great.

Edit: Another question about D20 modern in general. I looked around but can't find anything for calculating challenges in D20 modern. Can I use the D&D calculator at D20srd.org and get the same results? Would three lvl 1 Section 9 guys vs. 3 lvl 1 soldiers be really overpowering? Thanks!