PDA

View Full Version : mtg inspired race peach

reorith
2006-05-02, 12:04 PM
The metathran

urza planeswalker created the metathran by mysticaly
crossing the various races of dominaria with his arcane might. as a result of a near eon of selective breeding, he created his champion race to defeat the phyrexians.

i need some help the racial stuff to make them suitable for a mtg themed campaign.

metathran are native outsiders

+2 dex, +2 con, +2str -2cha, -2 int. a thran's starting inteligence score is always at least 3

medium sized

a metathran's base speed is 30 feet

low light vision

+2 racial bonus will saves for mind affecting magical compulsions

+1 racial bonus to attack roles against outsiders and
constructs

+4 dodge bonus to ac against outsiders+constructs

+2 racial bonus on saves against fear

engineered health: a metathran is immune to all mundane diseases

automatic languages common + undercommon bonus
draconic + abyssal + infernal + celestial + orc + elven + dwarven + giant

favored class is fighter

la +1

any help suggestions? scrap this? i don't know what to do with the level adjustment.

ronin56
2006-05-02, 12:20 PM
I thought that the Thran's were the advanced race that died out before Urza was alive. Their ruins were where Urza and Mishra got the Thran's old machines to use and copy and ended up using in their war against each other. Just my thoughts, read the Arifact Cycle series. Urza's race manipulation was a legacy he created so that when the time was right he had the "machines" he needed to defeat Phyrexia. Was after the Artifact Cycle, so I'm not sure what happens, or if he calls them the Thran.

Gyrfalcon
2006-05-02, 03:58 PM
Towards the middle to the end he creates an artificial race of beings to be the perfect soldiers - faster, tougher, and more capable then the humans, linked to different mana sources. (instead of white or black, I think they're linked to blue.)

...read too many M:tG books when he was younger.

Everyman
2006-05-02, 04:43 PM
From a cursory glance, here's my notes...

1) Metathrans lack a favored class. I would think (considering how they are designed to be soldiers) that their favored class would fighter.

2) Your ability modifiers are a tad uneven (two +2 vs. one -2). Might I suggest a penalty to Cha? If I recall, these engineered soldiers were not exactly sociable.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong about the race. I wouldn't even bother giving them a LA.

Hyrael
2006-05-02, 05:01 PM
well, I think that a metathran race would warrant an LA, or even racial hit die. If they didnt have an LA, then they wouldnt be powerful enough to match the portrayal of metathran in the books.

Give them +2 bonuses to all physical stats, and a charisma penalty (they lack a highly developed sense of self, not intelligence).
Rapid healing is also an option. how about if they heal at twice or three times the normal rate?
Automatic proficiency with martial weapons?
Save bonuses vs fear and immunity to disease.
Racial Hatred is definitely a good idea. make the bonuses vs living constructs, as thats what phyrexians would be, for the most part.

Foeofthelance
2006-05-02, 05:26 PM
I'd give them some sort of natural armor or dodge bonus, as the orginal metathran were unblockable for various reasons (one was just unblockable 1/1, the others was a 2/3 unblockable when enchanted)

The_Pyre
2006-05-03, 04:18 AM
Type would most likely be Outsider (native) or elemental... or living construct? ???

I would suggest as the others have: racial HD, LA +1 or higher, bonuses to Str, Dex, and Con, penalty to Cha, favored class fighter.