nysisobli
2009-06-09, 11:07 PM
what creatures can use wish as a sla?

shadzar
2009-06-09, 11:13 PM
What is a "sla"?

PId6
2009-06-09, 11:16 PM
Noble Djinns and Efreeti. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm)

Starscream
2009-06-09, 11:20 PM
Pit fiend? They get one a year I think.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-09, 11:21 PM
what creatures can use wish as a sla?

Well we don't know it was a wish...

You know if, for some reason, the MitD was psionic, then Time Hop, a 3rd level power, might fit what happened...we we have to wait and see what happened.

Kish
2009-06-09, 11:22 PM
Pit fiend? They get one a year I think.

The biggest problem with that I see is, well. They're not epic by default. And whatever the creature in the darkness is, at this point I'm pretty sure it's way more powerful than the devil Vaarsuvius petrified.

DSCrankshaw
2009-06-09, 11:41 PM
Well we don't know it was a wish...

You know if, for some reason, the MitD was psionic, then Time Hop, a 3rd level power, might fit what happened...we we have to wait and see what happened.
I think it'd have to be Mass Time Hop, which is an 8th level power. V and O'Chul could be gone as long as 15 hours or more.

We'll know whether it's Time Hop if they return to where they started.

DoctorJest
2009-06-09, 11:48 PM
Noble Djinns and Efreeti. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm)

They can grant a wish to any non-djinn. They cannot use wish themselves.

DoctorJest
2009-06-09, 11:49 PM
What is a "sla"?

Spell-like ability.

PId6
2009-06-09, 11:52 PM
They can grant a wish to any non-djinn. They cannot use wish themselves.
Well V+O-Chul were probably wishing very hard to get away right about then. :smallbiggrin:

(I wonder if V/O-Chul's destination has anything to do with Redcloak's yet-to-be-revealed one?)

Deuce
2009-06-09, 11:52 PM
Can anything short of a Wish do that? Maybe a Miracle? Older editions had Limited Wish, is there an obsolete monster that had that? Heck, if we're opening up older editions, there's even Alter Reality. (Which I may or may not have used to abuse the Holy Hell out of the rules with a certain Gnomish Illusionist back in the 1st ed. days - no one can prove anything)

Ellye
2009-06-09, 11:54 PM
Deities of a certain divine rank, with some portfolio that can enable something like that?

My pet theory was that the MitD was some kind of deity that lost its memory. It seems a bit more likely now, for me at least.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-09, 11:59 PM
I think it'd have to be Mass Time Hop, which is an 8th level power. V and O'Chul could be gone as long as 15 hours or more.

Well the plain old 3rd level Time Hop (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timeHop.htm) can be augmented to effect 1 additional creature for 2 additional power points. I also like it because its range is not touch (like most transport spells). The short duration could be a problem...we'll have to see what happens.

Fuzzypaws
2009-06-10, 12:00 AM
A deity with divine rank 1 can have Alter Reality as a salient ability, which is Wish at will. It can also cast spells from its domains at-will, so if it had the Earth domain it could have done the Earthquake stomp from before.

Deuce
2009-06-10, 12:14 AM
Anyone have stats on a Dao? Earth counter-part to the Djinn and Effreeti. I'd imagine they'd have "Grant Wish to a mortal" either 1 or 3 times a day, and might have Earthquake as a SLA.

SOD Spoiler

Don't know about being able to eat Red Cloak though.

Though Effreeti would make the whole darkness gag even more funny.

shadzar
2009-06-10, 12:16 AM
Anyone have stats on a Dao? Earth counter-part to the Djinn and Effreeti. I'd imagine they'd have "Grant Wish to a mortal" either 1 or 3 times a day, and might have Earthquake as a SLA.

SOD Spoiler

Don't know about being able to eat Red Cloak though.

Though Effreeti would make the whole darkness gag even more funny.

Dao speak all of the languages of the genies, as well as Common and the tongue of earth elementals.

Copyright 1999 TSR Inc.

No surprise for one of them to speak per 2nd edition. Never saw them in 3rd. :smallconfused:

EyethatBinds
2009-06-10, 12:24 AM
Zodar can speak and can use wish as a spell-like ability. They also are immune to all non-bludgeoning attacks, regardless of the weapon's magical or physical prowess. Also they have the ability to double their strength once per day. Also, they rarely speak, often just once in a lifetime, which explains the confusion by explorer X and Y.

The only trouble is that they are constructs. This leads some issues to his parentage and more questions about his size and so on.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-10, 12:26 AM

And if they do, poor O'Chul. :smallbiggrin:

shadzar
2009-06-10, 12:27 AM
Zodar can speak

That is the problem....the fact :mitd: can speak is surprising, or so I thought. :smallconfused: So anything that can speak naturally isn't really fitting the clues. It would need to be something that normally doesn't speak, or is very rare for it to do so.

MisterLeirus
2009-06-10, 12:28 AM
Deities of a certain divine rank, with some portfolio that can enable something like that?

My pet theory was that the MitD was some kind of deity that lost its memory. It seems a bit more likely now, for me at least.

Well, it could be some surviving deity from the slayed east pantheon, but the Giant has already stated that he is a creature we could be able to recognize by the hints... so who knows...

I have even thought that he may be the Snarl, or other plot related creature, even if I know that that does not make sense...

EyethatBinds
2009-06-10, 12:31 AM
That is the problem....the fact :mitd: can speak is surprising, or so I thought. :smallconfused: So anything that can speak naturally isn't really fitting the clues. It would need to be something that normally doesn't speak, or is very rare for it to do so.

Not so, Zodar (http://www.iwozhere.com/SRD/images/88268_620_163.jpg) can speak but do so about once in the lifetime of a human, often only a word or two at that. One that is actually just saying whatever is on it's mind is somewhat odd by comparison.

golentan
2009-06-10, 12:34 AM
Everyone bringing up time hop:

If you recall, Redcloak new what the MitD is. And he wasn't sure until well on in torturing O'chul that Psionics existed in the campaign world. So I'm fairly sure that MitD isn't a naturally psionic monster, or if he is it's in the nature of the core book illithids.

Just saying.

Raenir Salazar
2009-06-10, 12:35 AM
Limited Wish is still in the 3.5e PHB

we know MitD is:

-A creature from one of the Monster Manuals
-Has something similar to Wish or Teleport Other as a SLA
-Has Damage reduction slashing/-
-Has Absurd strength on par with Titans.
-Has a father with probably Colossol size category.
-low int, but possibly HIGH int in comparison/relative to its base race.
-should rarely if ever speak but can.
-probably ot Psionic as weld have more clues.

Deuce
2009-06-10, 12:36 AM
No surprise for one of them to speak per 2nd edition. Never saw them in 3rd. :smallconfused:

Good point maybe when he was younger he looked like a rock, or a Galab-Dur or some other Earthy Elemental thing?

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-10, 12:41 AM

If you recall, Redcloak new what the MitD is. And he wasn't sure until well on in torturing O'chul that Psionics existed in the campaign world. So I'm fairly sure that MitD isn't a naturally psionic monster, or if he is it's in the nature of the core book illithids.

Just saying.

Panel 3 of 546 is a funny joke. Just saying.

tKircher
2009-06-10, 12:42 AM
MITD, i think, has got to be a unique creature. I'd be hugely disappointed if it turned out to be a "clone" of other monsters. Either something the Giant made up (which i doubt), or a template applied to... something.

Necrus Philius
2009-06-10, 12:43 AM
I always thought he was just a young, talking tarrasque since they are technically neutral and don't differentiate between good and evil. But the new ability skews the ideas I had before. I think the ability he used may have a verbal component too it and not necessarily straight -at will potentially.

Berserk Monk
2009-06-10, 12:47 AM
How can we discuss what the mitd is based on the last strip when we don't even know what it is he did (if he even did anything)? It's like all the other thousand threads that ask "Okay, the mitd has insane str and DR. Let's narrow it down to the 500 creatures in the countless 3.5 books with those qualities."

DSCrankshaw
2009-06-10, 12:55 AM

Just saying.

It's possible Redcloak didn't know he was psionic, meaning either something like the phrenic template or levels in a psionic class. Also, the existence of psionic monsters does not necessarily mean psionic classes exist, and vice versa.

Or he could be a psionic variant of a creature that's not usually psionic.

Having looked through all the psionic creatures in the SRD, however, I didn't see anything which was a good match.

doodthedud
2009-06-10, 12:57 AM
Hmm. when the MitD says '-ESCAPE!' his eyes go a bit hazy....

silas the monk
2009-06-10, 03:42 AM
I think it far more likely that Lee, Nero and Cedrik found a way of intervening. We know they have the motive. Maybe they were able to grant the MitD a free wish because he was wishing for it. On that basis they only wanted to get V out but because they were leveraging the MitD's wish they had to take O-Chul as well. Thus they may end up on the lower planes which could be an interesting holiday destination for O-Chul.