PDA

View Full Version : Tucker's Kobolds stories

Teln
2009-06-09, 11:49 PM
Okay, practically everyone here has heard of the horrifying engines of destruction that are Tucker's Kobolds. However, have any of you actually fought and/or GM'd them? If so, how'd it turn out, and did any PCs make it out alive?

Enguhl
2009-06-10, 12:54 AM
I use stuff like tuckers kobolds all the time, even before i had heard of tucker's specifically. why? because thats how kobolds are supposed to be played. ive always had them use obscure traps and hit-and-run tactics with reach weapons guarding hallways and creative survival/fighting techniques, its what kobolds are designed for.
and the PCs come out alive if they play it smart and cautious, never if they charge in though

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-10, 01:56 AM
The day after I read about Tucker's kobolds, I had designed a dungeon for my BBEG. It was full of devious traps and what not...he was CR 13 I think, I lich bard or something.

Anyway, he had lots of minions from his leadership feat and high charisma score. And most of them were 1st level. I had no idea what to do with them since they would be very little (read: no) help against players of that level.

Then I realized the advantages of being Fine-sized. I set a custom magic trap that turned them Fine, then put pipes with arrow slits running through the walls. I also had a couple other traps...they had a decent chance of hitting most characters. In addition, I included a trap that created poison :smalleek: as well as some other Tuckerish things...(I dont really remember, that was a long time ago :smalltongue:)

And most of the PCs that I tested this on didnt even get to this part of the dungeon. It was the 5th freakin room! Room 1 was a halway, Room 2 was a theater, and Room 3 was a storage cabinet. I mean, c'mon, seriously...