PDA

View Full Version : Guess what level V will be when we see him again...

JeptCloak
2009-06-10, 12:57 AM
It seems clear things are now being readied to move the action to the other characters for a while, and V and O'Chul's fate will probably be left unclear for the immediate future. Additionally, it makes sense to move the focus to the other characters.

So, when V gets back what level will he be at? I'm going to go with 17.

Zevox
2009-06-10, 01:06 AM
Why would V spontaneously gain multiple levels between now and when we next see her? :smallconfused: Especially considering she had just leveled up to 14 sometime between the end of the Battle of Azure City and when she parted ways with the Refugees...

Zevox

B9anders
2009-06-10, 01:09 AM
I am sure she might get bonus XP for inventive use of low-level spells, but he's only been without the splice for half a battle. And prior to that, has been researching spells.

Doubtful [s]he'll be levelling.

JeptCloak
2009-06-10, 01:21 AM
I don't understand the rules, but I find it hard to credit V gets no decent XP for any of the things done since the splice, especially once Haerta was gone. Doesn't the quest of "steal the amulet" count for anything? Anyway, we might not see V for months now, plenty of time for gaining XP with the resistance or some such, especially with Xykon likely heading out of town soon.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-10, 01:24 AM
I don't understand the rules, but I find it hard to credit V gets no decent XP for any of the things done since the splice, especially once Haerta was gone. Doesn't the quest of "steal the amulet" count for anything? It would if I was DM. How much? That's hard to say without it being a real gaming decision I would have to make.

JeptCloak
2009-06-10, 01:32 AM
Plus, how the heck can you kill 25% of the Black Dragon populace and get no XP? It wasn't something that the fiends anticipated as likely, and the CL rules I've heard suggest you'd get some.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-10, 01:36 AM
Plus, how the heck can you kill 25% of the Black Dragon populace and get no XP? It wasn't something that the fiends anticipated as likely, and the CL rules I've heard suggest you'd get some.

Again if this was a game, then I would rule that as no XP as in you get no XP because you are using the overpowered and unbalanced mechanic.

The Wanderer
2009-06-10, 01:42 AM

Well, the fiends said a limit of the Splice was that V wouldn't gain any experience, no matter what he defeated while spliced. The fact that they were so complete about makes me think, despite the fact that it may seem like V should get something for the sheer number of dragons killed, that he really is out of luck there.

If this were a game, a kind DM would probably give him some roleplaying XP as a bonus and maybe something for an ingenious use of spells, but not nearly enough to hit a new level. It takes a LOT to gain levels once you hit the teen levels.

Morquard
2009-06-10, 01:52 AM
Well, the fiends said a limit of the Splice was that V wouldn't gain any experience, no matter what he defeated while spliced. The fact that they were so complete about makes me think, despite the fact that it may seem like V should get something for the sheer number of dragons killed, that he really is out of luck there.
here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html) one of the fiends says that, but gets corrected by the other one, saying he could earn XP but his effective level will be so high its unlikely.
Not impossible

I'm not sure exactly how "Wish" or "Miracle" work, but I think thats what MitD used to get O-chul and V away. (See this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114311) about how MitD apperently thinks wishing something hard enough is enough to make it happen)
So could he have realised that Xykon is really serious about it this time, unlike all the times before where he "wished O-Chul would escape, but not really because I want to keep Mr Stiffly". This time he knew its "escape or my friend is dead" and wished "O-chul and the funny elf to escape to O-chul's friends" or something, making them pop up in the middle of the Azurites.

Considering Roy is getting raised on that island and they don't really have a mean to get away on their own, they'll most likely head to them as well once Roy is alive, either to get help find V, get a ship to go to the gate, or use one of the Azurite Wizards for a teleport (if they still have one able to do that).

I don't think V and Ochul will be out of the picture for too long.

factotum
2009-06-10, 01:58 AM
Well, if he didn't get any XP for defeating the Ancient Black Dragon, he's not going to get any for killing all her less experienced (and thus lower CR) family members, is he? Sheer numbers don't matter here--remember how Belkar didn't gain any experience for killing that heap of hobgoblins during the siege of Azure City, because each one had far too low a CR.

Porthos
2009-06-10, 01:58 AM

Because since each of those dragons were killed individually, they are counted seperately on a per-kill basis. And since, again individually, they were each worth zero XP, V gets zero XP (at least from killing) from the entire encounter.

Unfair?

Perhaps.

But now V knows what Belkar felt like when he was in a similar situation. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0439.html) :smalltongue:

Mind you, V might get a ton of Role Playing XP. But combat?

Nahhh.

PS: What makes you think that V and O-Chul won't be teleported straight to the Azure City fleet? If I were a betting man, that's where I would think they would have gone.

Jaysyn
2009-06-10, 05:41 AM
No, the real question is how much XP did Xykon get for defeating a soul-spliced, 30+ level elf?

JeptCloak
2009-06-10, 05:43 AM
No, the real question is how much XP did Xykon get for defeating a soul-spliced, 30+ level elf?

hopefully not much, since he'll be unbeatable if he gets much stronger.

Malanthyus
2009-06-10, 05:50 AM
At a guess, just what was V's ECL during that fight anyway? Remember that Huerta was out of the picture at that point...

Zevox
2009-06-10, 12:11 PM
I don't understand the rules, but I find it hard to credit V gets no decent XP for any of the things done since the splice, especially once Haerta was gone. Doesn't the quest of "steal the amulet" count for anything? Anyway, we might not see V for months now, plenty of time for gaining XP with the resistance or some such, especially with Xykon likely heading out of town soon.
Even with Haerta gone, V was still spliced to two epic-level casters. And she didn't actually do anything that would typically generate xp, unless the DM gave out role-playing xp, and that almost never comes in large enough quantities to level you up when you recently leveled up unless you're playing with an extremely generous DM.

The whole thing with Xykon's phylactery wasn't even done by V for the most part. That was O-Chul's thing, and V just got dragged along for the ride. And it failed, too - the phylactery was not destroyed, just lost down the sewer pipes.

It seems unlikely that V would gain xp from spending time with the Azure City resistance as well, since most everything in Azure City would be too low in CR to grant her any, with the exception of Tsukiko. And we don't even know where V is now - I personally wouldn't guess the resistance, since MitD likely knows squat about them.

Plus, how the heck can you kill 25% of the Black Dragon populace and get no XP?
Quite easily, when your effective level is being boosted by no less than three epic level casters. The Fiends clearly didn't expect the ABD, who was CR 22+ (normally CR 19, but had to be more than that because she had levels in sorcerer/a casting prestige class to boost her natural spellcasting powers by at least 3 caster levels) to give V any xp. It seems doubtful that any of her kin would be much higher than that, if at all. A standard Great Wyrm Black Dragon is only CR 22 itself, and that's as strong as Dragons get without class levels.

At a guess, just what was V's ECL during that fight anyway? Remember that Huerta was out of the picture at that point...
Impossible to guess. We lack enough information to pin down even a general range of levels for Jephton and Ganoron, and any attempt at even saying exactly how V's ECL was calculated with them would be pure speculation itself.

Zevox

MickJay
2009-06-10, 01:41 PM
Xykon would probably already have noticed if he leveled up after defeating V.

Simanos
2009-06-10, 03:35 PM
http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm
A small note. XP is calculated and given per encounter (you don't even have to kill anyone, just beat them). The dragons were killed without encounter. As DM I would not award anything for their deaths. Then again as DM I would not allow Familicide to exist as an epic spell.