PDA

View Full Version : Playing age of empires 2 in widescreen?

Fri
2009-06-10, 04:44 AM
As title, are there any way to play my first pc game, age of empires 2, on widescreen without stretching? maybe in windowed mode or something?

the widescreen gaming wiki said that it doesn't support widescreen, but maybe one of you guys can help me?

Eh, and while we're at it, anyone know how to play crimson skies on widescreen monitor?

thanks.

Eloel
2009-06-10, 07:09 AM
There's the "add '-window' at end of 'target' on game shortcut" approach, but no idea if it works with aoe.

Edit: I tried, it didn't work.

Fri
2009-06-10, 09:04 AM
aww crud :smallfrown:

It's my first pc game. I guess I must satisfy myself with playing with streched graphic.

Eloel
2009-06-10, 09:11 AM
Try d3dwindower. It works on a few games, but better than not trying.

Fri
2009-06-10, 09:42 AM
It works! Yayness!

but since I'm such an ungrateful little adventurer, can someone with knowledge in moonrune (aka japanese) tell me how to make it 1024x768 window instead of 800x600?

Rutskarn
2009-06-11, 07:24 PM
aww crud :smallfrown:

It's my first pc game. I guess I must satisfy myself with playing with streched graphic.

First PC game as in, "Wow, Age of Empires II, that really takes me back. I wish I could enjoy it like I used to," or as in, "Huh, so this is what that new-fangled vidjamanet game fad is all about. I wish I could get it to work properly, seeing as this is my maiden voyage"?

Gundato
2009-06-11, 07:36 PM
Another useful trick for anyone with a widescreen (or anyone who plays older games period):

Check your video card's config utility. I know ATI/AMD has a trick and call it GPU Scaling (Catalyst Control Center -> Digital Panel (DVI) 4 -> Attributes). Essentially, you can set up how your video card handles games that don't support your dimensions. I am a fan of "Maintain Aspect Ratio", which means it will scale the image, but just leave black bars on the side if you have a widescreen but it doesn't (or on the top, if it likes widescreen and you don't have one). Works great.

Also leads to less desktop scrunching with low-res games.

Fri
2009-06-11, 11:25 PM
"Wow, Age of Empires II, that really takes me back. I wish I could enjoy it like I used to,"

that one :smallbiggrin:

I really like it. I judge every other rts by AoE 2. For me, it's the most intuitive, easiest to play, rts I've ever played.

Man, that bring back memories. It's really my first real pc game (compared to things like tetris or minesweeper).

Another useful trick for anyone with a widescreen (or anyone who plays older games period):

Check your video card's config utility. I know ATI/AMD has a trick and call it GPU Scaling (Catalyst Control Center -> Digital Panel (DVI) 4 -> Attributes). Essentially, you can set up how your video card handles games that don't support your dimensions. I am a fan of "Maintain Aspect Ratio", which means it will scale the image, but just leave black bars on the side if you have a widescreen but it doesn't (or on the top, if it likes widescreen and you don't have one). Works great.

Also leads to less desktop scrunching with low-res games.

I think it only works for DVI monitor. It won't work with cheap lcd screen with vga cable.

Deathslayer7
2009-06-11, 11:45 PM
i still love aoe2. British are my favorite race, closely followed by the saracens. Throwings daggers off a camel's back just appeals to me. :smallbiggrin:

Rutskarn
2009-06-11, 11:59 PM
I liked the Turkish. Janissaries FTW.

Fri
2009-06-12, 01:20 AM
I also like the british. Face, meet rain of arrows. I actually like a lot of arrow showering races, because, let's face it, hail of arrows toward your enemy's whimpering face is cool.

That, or the franks. Their Paladins are awesome.

Gundato
2009-06-12, 06:36 AM
I think it only works for DVI monitor. It won't work with cheap lcd screen with vga cable.

Possible, but I distinctly recall doing this before my cheap LCD screen finally crapped out (and I got a good monitor because it was on sale).

Fri
2009-06-12, 07:42 AM
really? that means it might work with my monitor? But I used Nvidia... Dunno if I've ever seen that in the nvidia control panel

Argh, crap. My old pc used radeon, but I gave it to my brother.

Dixieboy
2009-06-12, 08:23 AM
Screw you and your fancy technology

Huns is where it's at.

Houses
What's that?

Bases?
pssssh

Infantry?
Who needs it?

shazza95
2009-06-14, 02:41 AM
hey, i'm not sure if this will work on the pc, but on my ps2 on this game if you click repeatedly on the picture of whatever is being made (eg. villiger) it is made lots faster!
But don't do this if the picture is taking up most of the botton rectangle thingymajig.
you know what i mean right?
*cough*

SilentNight
2009-06-14, 10:50 AM
Damn, I used to love that game. I was always a fan of the Goths. SUre they had no defenses but that's what castles are for. I just loved how you could fill up a que of huskarls at the barracks and one would already be done when you finished clicking.

GolemsVoice
2009-06-14, 11:17 AM
No no no, Japanese or Spanish all the way! There is nothing like drowning your enemy in a) Katanas and elite infantry or b) a hail of gunshots. Japanese happen to have the more appealing visual style, while the Spanish have monks on mules. It's a win-win situation.
Or, barring that, any of the south american civlizations. The style eally appeals to me, and you can whack your enemy over the head with an obsidian mace.

EDIT: however, whenever we play multiplayer, one of us MUST take Franks. It's a cultural heritage thing.

Keld Denar
2009-06-14, 03:55 PM
No love for the Persians? Nothing says "all your base belong to me" like 20 or so elephants stampeding upon it with no desire to do well.

Mando Knight
2009-06-14, 04:05 PM
No love for the Persians? Nothing says "all your base belong to me" like 20 or so elephants stampeding upon it with no desire to do well.

Teutonic F'n Knights. They're gods among infantry, and their monks turn the Persians and Goths into their mind-slaves. On top of that, they are the only civ with all of the top-level ranged siege engines, have long-range castles, and train decent Paladins (Full set of melee armor/weapon techs, and Bloodlines!). The Teutons' only real drawback is that they lack skirmishing units: their light cavalry are stuck at Scout Cavalry, and they don't get Bracer or Parthian Tactics to boost their standard Cavalry Archers.

And they get cheap farms.

Samuel Sturm
2009-06-14, 07:14 PM

Man, I loved the Persians, but my armies of 60 Elite war elephants and 40 Heavy Calvary archers would always get lost somewhere between 40 Conquistadors, 40 Palidians, and 80 Champions on one side and a similar byzantine army on the other side. And this was 5-7 minutes into the game.

Yes, I played with some seriously hardcore dudes.

Also, Viking Berserker's FTW! For about 5-7 minutes. :smallannoyed:

Fri
2009-06-14, 07:21 PM
The problem with war elephant is, guys with pointy sticks can easily down them.

Dixieboy
2009-06-14, 08:28 PM
Need i repeat myself?

Huns

I don't need to build ANYTHING but a stable and then just pump out cavalry, this include mounted archers, killing said pointy stick wielders.

toasty
2009-06-15, 03:37 AM
Never could get into AoE II. I was always a Red Alert person. Dunno why. I tried AoE II... really did but never got into it.

If I had to play a RTS game now I'd probably be Warcraft III, Starcraft or Total Annihilation. Nothing much has come out in the last few years to match those games.

GolemsVoice
2009-06-15, 03:57 AM
That's what I thought at first, too, but AoE was reintroduced to me a few days back, and it's really still kickin behind!

HunterRoge
2009-06-15, 11:09 AM
Gotta go with the Goths. I mean who doesn't love a group of soldiers that can take down a castle on their own, and are basicly imune to arrow fire?

SilentNight
2009-06-15, 12:06 PM
Gotta go with the Goths. I mean who doesn't love a group of soldiers that can take down a castle on their own, and are basicly imune to arrow fire?

Not to mention produce like rabbits.

Triaxx
2009-06-15, 05:44 PM
Puny races. No challenge are they for mighty Viking Berserkers, nor even mightier Viking Longboats.

Fri
2009-06-15, 09:44 PM
I haven't tried AoE 3 actually. is it any good?

I just thought from what I've seen that... it's just less fantastical. I mean, can we still make a bunch of samurai fight a war elephant?

Dixieboy
2009-06-17, 08:07 PM
Yes

Not only that

Samurai are now basic infantry for the japanese

You can have an army of Samurais and ninjas led by a warrior monk fighting against a horde of shaolins while being bombarded by canons mounted atop an elephant >.>

Fri
2009-06-18, 02:54 AM
Man, now I want to try AoE 3. Maybe later :smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-18, 10:21 AM
I have AoE2 and AoE3, with the first expansion to AoE3.

AoE2 was my first ever video game. I don't play it anymore, but I still look through the fold-out guide to remember just how awesome it was. I loved playing as the British. Hordes of longbowmen, just out the range of everyone. I would tell the whole horde to fire at one man at a time. It always worked brilliantly. Mind you, goths were my doom.

Probably the only reason I wouldn't be able to go back is because of a) the fact that I now find the base-building a bit silly, and b) the complete lack of historical context.

Yeah, I'm a history nut. Well, back then I wasn't. Back then I had no idea who he Byzantines were. I thought they were some sort of Arab faction. :smallsigh: Now I know that they are the Romans.

AoE3 I enjoyed around equally. For one, at the time the graphics blew me away. Secondly, it was set in Canada, biatches! Thirdly, it wasn't as historically bung. I mean, you still had the Turks in NA, but once you ignored that small fact, it was pretty damn feasible. Oh, maybe the Germans were a bit far-fetched too, considering there was no such thing as Germany, and they never did get much of a colony anyway, but it was a fun game.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-18, 05:42 PM
If we're talking AOE 3 now, I have to say; I love playing as the Russians. What's better than massing 50 units that can't take a hit and do crap all for damage, but still take everything down in one (group) shot?

Plus the Villagers spawn 3 at a time.