PDA

View Full Version : Greater Lantern Archon

Eldan
2009-06-10, 05:18 AM
So, one of my players asked for this. I'm not all that good with homebrewing, I've only done a few low-level player races and the one or other prestige class, so this is one of my first attempts at monster creation. It was supposed to be on about the same power level as the mid-tier archons (hound etc.)

Greater Lantern Archon

Size/Type: Small Outsider (Archon, Extraplanar, Good, Incorporeal, Lawful)
HD 6d8+6 (33 HP)
Speed Fly 60 feet ft. (perfect) (12 squares)
Init: +6
AC 16 (+1 size, +2 dexterity +3 deflection); touch 16; flat-footed 13
BAB +6; Grp -3
Attack Light Ray +8 ranged touch (2d6, blindness)
Full-Attack 2 Light Rays +8 ranged touch (2d6, blindness)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities Aura of Menace, Aura of Light, DR 10/evil and magic, Darkvision 60 feet, immunity to electricity and petrification, magic circle against evil, teleport, tongues
Saves Fort +7; Ref +8; Will +7
Abilities Str --, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 16
Skills Concentration +10, Diplomacy +13, Knowledge: The Planes +8, Knowledge: Religion +8, Listen +10, Sense Motive +12, Spot +10
Feats Improved Initiative, Negotiator, Point Blanc Shot
Environment Mount Celestia
Organization Solitary, squad (1 with 3-5 normal lantern archons)
Challenge Rating ?
Treasure None
Alignment Always Lawful Good
Advancement 7-9 HD (small) or by character class
Level Adjustment +?

Aura of Menace (Su): A righteous aura surrounds archons that fight or get angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of an archon must succeed on a Will save (DC 15) to resist its effects. Those who fail take a -2 penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for 24 hours or until they successfully hit the archon that generated the aura. A creature that has resisted or broken the effect cannot be affected again by the same archon’s aura for 24 hours.

Aura of Light: (Su):The lantern archon is surrounded by a permanent nimbus of bright light, which is as bright as a torch. They can supress the glow to half that brightness as a free action, but never entirely extinguish it. Alternatively, they can make the light even brighter, as a daylight spell by concentrating on it.

Light Ray: The Greater Lantern Archon can fire rays of light that deal 2d6 damage at a range of 30 feet. This damage overcomes all resistances and damage reduction. Additionally, any creature hit by the Greater Lantern Archon's light ray must succeed on a fortitude save, DC 15 or be blinded for one round.

Spell-like abilities:
At will: aid, detect evil, continual flame, dancing lights; mage hand; 3/day: Glitterdust, calm emotions, cure moderate wounds (caster level 6th)

Not all Lantern archons eventually raise to the status of Hound Archon: some stay behind, remaining on the lowest layer of the mounting heavens voluntarily. In time, they shed even the last traces of corporeality normal Lantern Archons have, becoming motes of pure light.
The Greater Lantern Archons have a variety of duties: they serve as advisors and negotiators towards visiting mortals, as squad leaders for other lantern archons in the rare cases that they are called to war or as guides for newly arrived petitioners.
The greater lantern abhor violence, always prefering the use of calm words and spells to using their rays of light.

So, how horribly unbalanced is this? What would be an appropriate challenge rating or, since the player in question actually wants to play one, Level Adjustment?

wadledo
2009-06-10, 10:13 AM
......If it's Incorporeal, shouldn't it not have a str score?:smallconfused:

Eldan
2009-06-10, 12:26 PM
Ah, thanks. Forgot that when converting form the normal Lantern Archon. Which, by the way, is strange as a corporeal creature anyway.

Harperfan7
2009-06-10, 12:32 PM
When I clicked on this thread, I thought it said "Green Lantern Archon."

I was greatly disappointed.