PDA

View Full Version : Warblades and Swordsages

Zergrusheddie
2009-06-10, 05:59 AM
What kind of different play styles do these two classes encourage? Do Warblades do the typical 2-handed Power Attack and if so what maneuvers do they use? Looking at Tome of Battle, it seems that most maneuvers for Warblades do additional damage but is that really all that great when you could me getting iterative attacks and an extra swing from Haste? I know it's an extremely broad question, but perhaps you might forum gods could assist a puny worshiper?

Best of luck
-Eddie

Dhavaer
2009-06-10, 06:32 AM
It depends what maneuvers they take. They do, notably, do better with sword & Board than other classes, as they can get damage from maneuvers instead of power attack.

Zergrusheddie
2009-06-10, 06:40 AM
It depends what maneuvers they take. They do, notably, do better with sword & Board than other classes, as they can get damage from maneuvers instead of power attack.

Warblades can actually pull off S&B? :smalleek:

Dhavaer
2009-06-10, 06:42 AM
Sure. When your damage is based on a Concentration check rather then your weapon, strength and power attack, sword and board is pretty decent.

Riffington
2009-06-10, 07:18 AM
What kind of different play styles do these two classes encourage? Do Warblades do the typical 2-handed Power Attack and if so what maneuvers do they use? Looking at Tome of Battle, it seems that most maneuvers for Warblades do additional damage but is that really all that great when you could me getting iterative attacks and an extra swing from Haste? I know it's an extremely broad question, but perhaps you might forum gods could assist a puny worshiper?

Best of luck
-Eddie

In a full attack or a charge, an optimized fighter/barbarian will do a bit more damage than the warblade. Especially if your spellcasters believe in buffing the guy with the greatsword instead of doing everything themselves. But there are times when you want to pull off something special, and then maneuvers are wonderful. Also, any time you need to move and attack but can't set up a charge, a maneuver is better than a standard attack.

SadisticFishing
2009-06-10, 07:21 AM
Ha, I'm fairly sure that's untrue. Get some Tiger Claw maneuvers (the swift ones). Common knowledge is often a misconception.

AslanCross
2009-06-10, 08:27 AM
The Warblade could do really well in many ways. Two-handed power attack works surprisingly well with Diamond Mind, especially with the Gem Nightmare Blades (better multiplier) and Emerald Razor. (Drop attack bonus to the lowest it can go? No problem, it's a touch attack.)

Of course it could also do well with Stone Dragon.

Notably, Warblades and Swordsages do TWF very well with Tiger Claw.

A Diamond Mind build focusing on the Insightful Strikes could theoretically do the elusive one-hand/no shield build really well, since it wouldn't depend on your weapon for the damage.

Vortling
2009-06-10, 08:34 AM

Best of luck
-Eddie

Mobility. If you want your iteratives you need to either stand right next to the beast or acquire pounce somehow. Most maneuvers require less than a full round action so you can move and attack without having to worry about missing the iteratives or charging (The most common ways you get pounce require a charge).

Dex based melee. With shadow blade and weapon finesse you don't need strength at all and can still fight in melee. Maneuvers granting extra damage also grant you effectiveness even if you don't have shadow blade.

Lastly, fun stuff that melee doesn't normally get to do. Swordsages can teleport, spider climb, fly, inflict ability damage, inflict status conditions and chuck enemies around like pinballs with maneuvers. Warblades can successfully sword and board, fight with two weapons, inflict status conditions, and even focus nearly entirely on constitution.

All in all a good lot of fun stuff

woodenbandman
2009-06-10, 09:22 AM
I like anybody with Diamond Mind for two weapon fighting. Time Standing Still plus Stormguard Warrior plus Raging Mongoose = damage. Warblades and Swordsages can both pull that off (Warblade perhaps a bit easier). Swordsages do battlefield control and assassination with their funky Tornado Throw and Five Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike (say it three times fast). They're also decent damage monkeys with Burning Blade + Flashing Sun at low levels, but they don't get white raven :(

wadledo
2009-06-10, 10:04 AM
Actually, a OA Samurai/Warblade focusing on Diamond Mind sounds pretty awesome.
Get Able Learner for Iaijutsu Focus and Concentration and you can be doing some pretty kick ass damage in no time, as well as getting a semi-free magic weapon.