PDA

View Full Version : Natural Weapons + Normal Weapons in Melee

daggaz
2009-06-10, 06:35 AM
Ok I know these are easy questions for many playgrounders, but I never played with natural attacks and so I have a few of them and didnt want to clutter up the simple qna thread, so here you go.

I have a lizardman character coming up, he has two primary claw attacks and a bite attack at 1d4 each, with reach of 5 ft. I know from basic rules that both of the claws are primary and hit at full BaB and the bite hits at -5 (no multiattack). I am of the understanding that I cannot power attack with any of them as they are considered light weapons.

So what happens when I combine with weapons? For starters, say Im wielding a 1h club in my primary weapon hand, no shield. Do I club and do one claw at full BaB, then the bite at -5? What if I had power attacked the round before? Do I take the hit on aB with no damage bonus, even tho the feat isnt applicable to natural attacks? (im assuming it goes that way.) Also, are any of the natural attacks then considered offhanded weapons and then only get half my str bonus to damage? (I wouldnt think so).

If I am wielding say a 2h longspear, and an enemy slips in past my threat range... perhaps right next to me so I cannot five ft step away on my next round and use the spear again.. I can let the spear go with one hand as a free action and make one claw attack at full BaB, and then bite at -5, right? Or just drop the spear and claw claw bite as normal?

Thanks for the help..

BobVosh
2009-06-10, 06:54 AM
Pretty sure you can PA with light weapons. Unsure about natural, but I believe so as well. I play pathfinder mainly, so...different PA.

Club is at full and claw + bite is at -5. PA the round before has no effect on the current round. Pretty sure all natural weapons are labeled if they get full/half/1.5 strength bonus. Check the stat blocked listed. I'm fairly sure you get full strength claw, half strength claw, and either 1.5 str bite or 1x str bite. Depends on the the monster for that.

Yes, yes, and yes with the spears (allowing the correct str check as I'm unsure on those.)

Dhavaer
2009-06-10, 07:00 AM
You can power attack with natural weapons.

You can’t add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks)

JellyPooga
2009-06-10, 07:08 AM
Power Attack does apply to natural weapons (check the description, it states this specifically).

Natural Weapons are either designated as Primary or Secondary. Primary Natural Weapons can all be used ona Full-Attack action at your full BAB whilst Secondary can be used at -5.

As part of a Full-Attack routine you may also incorporate a weapon attack, but in this case, all your Natural Attacks are considered Secondary and suffer the -5 penalty. You may not use a Claw Natural Attack if you are wielding a weapon in that hand.

So in your case you have 2 Primary Claw attacks and 1 Secondary Bite attack. If you had a longspear and a club, here are your options on a Full-Attack action:

1)Claw(+0)/Claw(+0)/Bite(-5) (Club and Spear sheathed)
2)Club(+0)/Claw(-5)/Bite(-5) (Spear sheathed)
3)Longspear(+0)/Bite(-5) (Club sheathed)

Option (3) requires two enemies (one adjacent, one 10ft away) to work though.

If you chose option (3) and someone moved adjacent to you, yes you could change to a Claw(+0)/Bite(-5) routine on a Full-Attack whilst maintaining a one-handed grip on your spear, or indeed you could drop it to make a (1) Full-Attack.

Power Attack lasts until your next action, so if you chose to PA on your action, any Attacks of Opportunity you make take the penalty to hit and relevent weapons gain the damage bonus.

daggaz
2009-06-10, 07:11 AM
thanks guys, the last post was btw incredibly clear so special thanks. :smallsmile: