PDA

View Full Version : FFTA Races

fetfet
2006-04-02, 08:25 AM
Moogle

Moogles are small, rabbitlike, creatures who were introduced to the common races when one was caught stealing a house. He suceeded.

Personality: Moogles are funloving, happy, and some suspect they are insane. Moogles are also curious, and for some, that turns to kleptomania.

Physical description: Moogles are short, ranging from around a little under 3 feet, and reaching a little over same. They look like pink hybrid rabbits, and the only thing differencing them from such is tiny wing, and a fuzzy antennae. The antennae has a fuzzy ball.
Moogles wear light fitting clothing, and robes as well.

Relations: Moogles get along with everyone.

Alignment: Moogles tend towards chaos, but most are neutral any ways.

Moogle Lands: Moogles have many cities. They also tend to share land with humans, gnomes, and halflings.

Religion: Moogles have one godess, Named Kuipa. Her domains are Protection, Good, Chaos, and Trickery. Her favorite weapon is the dagger.

Language: Moogles speak Moogle, a tongue using its own dialect, and the speak every other one. They speak all other laguages with a strong accent.

Names: Moogles only have one name. It usually sound nice and wordy.

Male Names: Alfonz, Brenar, Lauret, Montblanc, Olivir, Rolat, Thofele.

Female Names: Adele, Aymee, Anaste, Genevire, Ines, Jaqui, Modo.

Moogle Racial traits

+2 dex, +2 cha, -4 str.
Small size
Spd 20ft, fly 10 ft(perfect)
Low light vision
+2 Jump and Balance
+4 Listen
Automatic languages:Common, Moogle. Bonus languages:Any.
Favored Class: Rogue
Preferred Class: Sorcerer

What do you thin?

The Glyphstone
2006-04-02, 09:55 AM
Definitely needs a LA of at least +1. Every Small player race has a speed of 20ft. Medium creatures usually have a speed of 30ft. You've given these Small Creatures a base speed of 40ft, equal to most Large creatures. That, along with the +2 Cha, the +2 Dex, and the stat bonuses, is rather powerful. Would make an excellent sorcerer, who'd be very hard to catch.

fetfet
2006-04-02, 10:11 AM
ok, fixed that, but i have a feeling that moogles are really fast, so 30ft speed.

Kaerou
2006-04-02, 11:17 AM
It still seems slightlu superior to PC races, with a +4 for -2.. perhaps a con penalty or skill penalty could even it out for a LA of +0.

Elurindel
2006-04-02, 11:30 AM
I saw something like this on Wizards.com once. The moogles got a -2 penalty to wisdom, because they're silly little things, and +2 to Int, because despite their ditziness, they are possessed of useful knowledge.

They also had 0 natural reach, due to their stubby arms, 20ft spped and clumsy flight manueverability.

Dragonmuncher
2006-04-02, 01:01 PM
"Favored Class:Rogue
Preferred Class:Sorceror "

Is there a difference between Favored and Preferred classes?

Adghar
2006-04-02, 01:35 PM
I wonder if the moogle I made on DnDOG has slipped into oblivion.

TheDarkOne
2006-04-02, 03:13 PM
Every Small player race has a speed of 20ft. Medium creatures usually have a speed of 30ft.

Take a look at Whisper Gnomes and Dwarfs. Whisper Gnomes are small and have 30ft, dwarfs are medium and have 20ft. There's no rule about player races, size, and land speed.

McBish
2006-04-02, 03:19 PM
Take a look at Whisper Gnomes and Dwarfs. Whisper Gnomes are small and have 30ft, dwarfs are medium and have 20ft. There's no rule about player races, size, and land speed.

Kobolds also have a 30 speed and are small. And since the -2 is to str I think it is ok to give them +4 since half-orcs get -4 for a +2.

Pedantic
2006-04-02, 03:54 PM
Kobolds also have a 30 speed and are small. And since the -2 is to str I think it is ok to give them +4 since half-orcs get -4 for a +2.

Goblins are also at 30. Personally, I think it's good as it stands.

The Glyphstone
2006-04-02, 04:18 PM

Didn't say there was - I was referring to Small player races out of the PHB.

Kobolds and Goblins both move 30ft., so that's balanced. It was originally 40ft., which was too much - hence my post.

Everyman
2006-04-02, 04:24 PM
The DEX bonus I can understand, but why do they get a +2 CHA? Wouldn't it make more sense for moogles (who are builders and knowledgeable) to have a +2 INT instead? Afterall, Craft and Knowledge skills are all INT based.

Otherwise, nothing there seems too powerful.

Orion-the-G
2006-04-02, 04:29 PM
Got to say they seem overpowered to me. +4 to -2 ability adjustments? small size (which is a net positive)? combined with no speed penalty, low light vision, and decent skill modifiers. Significantly more powerful than a PC race.

I'd recomend at least dropping that strength penalty to -4, if you can't find some other score to take a hit.

Maryring
2006-04-02, 04:44 PM
From what I've read, smaller size is actually bad because you have less damage on your weapon.

Of course that doesn't apply to those glass cannons we all know and love ;)

hyenahyena
2006-04-02, 04:51 PM
I say stick em with a -2 to wisdom. Just to balance out the +4 with a -4.

Why the +4 to listen? They're cute silly little monster-beasts. Even wolves, who are like, super ultra hearing sorta things, only get +3 to listen naturally.

So, in my lousy opinion, drop the listen bonus entirely, and give +4 to jump, +2 balance. Cause hey, they've got wings. They should be able to jump rather decently.

RoboticSheeple
2006-04-02, 04:52 PM
I'd say Fly speed of 20, Perfect. They can Hover, fly straight up, fly backwards, that's a perfect.
They will most certianly need a LA

Orion-the-G
2006-04-02, 04:58 PM
From what I've read, smaller size is actually bad because you have less damage on your weapon.

Of course that doesn't apply to those glass cannons we all know and love ;)

Nah, the damage drop is more than paid off for by the benefits of being small (+1 AC, +1 attack, +4 to hide). It definitely has it's disadvantages but small size overall is still a positive benefit. Especially when you consider that both rogue and sorcerer (and wizard for that matter) don't give a damn whether or not the dagger they're weilding does 1d4 or 1d3 damage.

Heck, even weapon-heavy classes can work fine at higher levels. By the time you're a 15-20th level barbarian who cares if you roll 1d10 or 1d12 damage with that greataxe? you've got + bajillion to the damage roll anyway.

stainboy
2006-04-02, 08:24 PM
Definitely needs a LA of at least +1. Every Small player race has a speed of 20ft. Medium creatures usually have a speed of 30ft. You've given these Small Creatures a base speed of 40ft, equal to most Large creatures. That, along with the +2 Cha, the +2 Dex, and the stat bonuses, is rather powerful. Would make an excellent sorcerer, who'd be very hard to catch.

Goblins move at 30'. Granted, goblins get shafted on stat mods, but they also have some nice racial skill bonuses that make up for it.

fetfet
2006-04-02, 08:41 PM
They dont get a fly speed because their wings dont move. also the +4 listen is because they have rabbit ears.

Paperclip
2006-04-02, 08:58 PM
they fly in the games...

fetfet
2006-04-02, 09:29 PM
Not in the game i play (final fantasy tactics advance)

Paperclip
2006-04-02, 09:42 PM
No, they do not fly in Tactics Advance.
In the other games, however, (a great example being Final Fantasy IX) they can hover, backflip, fly up, down, back, forwards, etc. They do not do this often, because their walk speed is faster.

Thus a 30 ft walk speed and 20 ft fly speed seems perfect.

They do not fly in Tactics Advance for a reason. Mainly, because it is a tactics game and none of the other races fly. Also, because walking is easier to animate, and this left more room for story.

Behold_the_Void
2006-04-02, 10:41 PM
Moogles can fly, just not very well.

Jothki
2006-04-02, 11:34 PM
No, they do not fly in Tactics Advance.
In the other games, however, (a great example being Final Fantasy IX) they can hover, backflip, fly up, down, back, forwards, etc. They do not do this often, because their walk speed is faster.

Thus a 30 ft walk speed and 20 ft fly speed seems perfect.

They do not fly in Tactics Advance for a reason. Mainly, because it is a tactics game and none of the other races fly. Also, because walking is easier to animate, and this left more room for story.

Crystal Chronicles is another good example of Moogle flight. They don't seem to be very manuverable, though.

Krade
2006-04-03, 12:02 AM
It's actually pretty interesting when you look at the evolution of the moogle throughout the Final Fantasy games.

FFV: Pretty sure this is where they started, they had a language that only one human could understand, they were afraid of everything, and were painfully weak in just about every way.

FFVI: Moogles get a MAJOR face lift.While they still look the same, they are NOT shy, and they were far from weak, one of my favorite parts was when you got three parties of almost all moogles. That was awesome. Main moogle character also favored polearms, which is just plain awesome.

FFVII: They get mention, but are completely ficticious beings in a ficticious world, FFVII moogles suck.

FFVIII: Pretty sure they were even less of a presence than in VII.

FFIX: Moogles come in a variety of personalities and even one that was an eidolon (summons) in disguise, they run a mailing service, save your game for you, and allow you use tents. By far the largest role they had played yet.

FFX: If moogles were in this one, it would have been SO much cooler.

FFXI: Don't know, and don't care to find out.

FFT: N/A

FFTA: Played the game for few hours and shut it off, glad I didn't buy it. The moogle kinda kicked ass, but not as much as they did in FFVI. I thought the rabbit-ears thing was stupid, and they should've stay the way they looked before.

As for alignment, why did you have them as chaotic and neutral, when their goddess has good as one of her domains? I always saw them more as neutral good than anything else. But then, I didn't play FFTA (which is, apparently, what you used to make this) very much, and I'm drawing all my analysis from V, VI, and IX.

Frank
2006-04-03, 04:14 AM
Oh, and they were from caves.

Would that affect anything?

-Frank

fetfet
2006-04-03, 07:06 AM
ok, reasonable.how about fly 20 ft average.

Beleriphon
2006-04-03, 10:31 AM

You're right there is no hard and fast rule, although most small creatures move 20ft, medium 30ft, and large at 40ft.

Arakune
2006-04-03, 01:21 PM
there are rulles for moggles postman and GF?

fetfet
2006-04-13, 08:36 AM
Time for a new one.

Bangaa

Bangaa are reptilian humanoids with a grumpy, stout militaristic disposition.

Personality: Bangaa are angry and stubborn. They are too focused, and that ticks some people off. They are thought as a collective people with sticks up their asses.

Physical description: Bangaa are akin to crocodiles and armadillos, sans the small part. They stand 6 to 7 feet. They weigh about 200 pounds. Bangaa scales ranges in all types of brown. They have big tails, and floppy ears.

Relations: Bangaa tend to deal with dwarves and humans more than anything. They find elves, gnomes, and halflings giddy, flighty, and ignorant.

Alignment: Bangaa are almost always lawful,and good.

Bangaa Lands: Bangaa run militairistic, tight shift prison towns, and the inhabitants like it that way.

Religion: Bangaa follow war gods. Theirs is Boqien. His domains are War, Good, Law, and...War.

Language: Bangaa speak Bangaa, a tounge of clicks and hisses. It is impossible for humanoids to speak Bangaa.

Names: Bangaa have one name, for simplicity.

Bangaa Racial traits

+2 str, +2 con, -2 int, -2 cha
Medium size
Speed 20 ft
Low light vision
+2 jump
+2 listen
Favored Class: Monk

Catch
2006-04-13, 09:36 AM
A few minor adustments. First of all, Bangaa is plural in it's base form. Like "fish."

Second, two bonuses to pysical stats and two natural attacks in exchange for -2 wisdom and charisma is worth a level adjustment of +1. Not to mention the +10 to jump, and that's something that I'd say is unique to Dragoons, not Bangaa in general. That, and in FFTA, Bangaa never used their tails or mouths as weapons. I'd say they're strictly ornamental.

In regards to stats, Bangaa are more like lizardy dwarves in my eyes. Stout and hardy, but gruff and not very personal. I wouldn't penalize their wisdom, as there are Bangaa monks and bishops in the game. Something like +2 constitution and -2 charisma, maybe. That's pretty dwarfy, though.

Anyone else familar with FFTA?

fetfet
2006-04-13, 10:13 AM
But what is the makeup for terrible losses?

Soniku
2006-04-13, 01:47 PM
I personally would have given the Bangaa monk as a favored class, because in the games I don't remember a paladin class (or didn't unlock it) and I saw a whoooole lot of Bangaa monks. I would leave the Wis as it is, if not increse it, because of the monks and bishops, and give them a negetive in INT because there were no arcane bangaas in FFTA (that I saw) and they didn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the draw.

Godhand
2006-04-14, 01:09 AM
Physical description: Bangaa are akin to small reptiles and armadillos, sans the small part. They stand 6 to 7 feet. They weigh about 150 pounds. Bangaa scales ranges in all types of brown. They have big tails, and floppy ears.

150 pounds for a 6 to 7 foot tall creature with scales? That seems really light for a creature that only has a 20ft move speed. Perhaps you could add a little weight on/up their movement speed?

Also, +2 total to base stats? You need to add in a -2 to int or another -2 to chr. With the stats you have there the bangaas would need a level adjustment.

fetfet
2006-04-14, 07:48 AM
awright, changed, but they now seem pretty bland :-/

Magnus_Samma
2006-04-18, 12:26 AM
You might be looking at this the wrong way. Don't think of these races as being supplemental to the DnD core PC races. A d20 Final Fantasy game would be its own setting with its own PC races and classes. So don't worry that your Bangaa seems too dwarfy- it is, for all intents and purposes, the equivalent of a dwarf for its setting, so you don't have to go out of your way to make it different just for the sake of being different.

I like what you've done with this so far. Keep up the good work!

storybookknight
2006-04-18, 12:47 AM
It's okay to give things level adjustments, too - if you wanted, you could tack on a point or two of natural armor.

Then they start resembling Lizardfolk from the 3.5 Monster Manual...

In the DMG section on creating races, a +2 to a physical stat is generally worth a -4 on mental stats, with strength bonuses meriting the strictest penalty, so as is it's a touch imbalanced?

If you decide to level adjust them, they can keep the jump bonuses. Thri-Keen do...