PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous domain casting for clerics

Maltore
2009-06-10, 09:56 AM
One of my players is making a cleric, and has asked whether he can give up his spontaneous casting of Cure spells for spontaneous domain casting. I am going to allow this, but am still undecided about whether it would be only one domain or both of them. Is there an existing cleric class variant somewhere that could inspire me one way or another?

We already know about the Domain Spontaneity feat. The entire reason he's asking about this is that he wants to save a feat.

Assassin89
2009-06-10, 10:03 AM
I think that there is a variant in PHB2 for Spontaneous Domain Casting, but it only applies for one domain. I am talking about 3.5 in this case, but for a different edition, I have no idea.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-10, 10:08 AM
I think that there is a variant in PHB2 for Spontaneous Domain Casting, but it only applies for one domain. I am talking about 3.5 in this case, but for a different edition, I have no idea.

Yep. True. It also allows you to use some/all of you domain slots as cure (or, for evil characters, inflict) spells.

Maltore
2009-06-10, 10:20 AM
Thanks, I've looked at the PHBII, and I think my player will be happy with it.

Eldariel
2009-06-10, 11:51 AM
There's also a Divine Feat named Domain Spontaneity [Complete Divine], which allows burning Turn Undead-uses to spontaneously convert Domain-spells. You need to take it once per each Domain you want to use it for though. Great addition to the spontaneous casting ACF (which is a must IMHO; makes way more sense than spontaneous curing/inflicting anyways). Third best casting Divine Feat (right after Divine Metamagic & Divine Spell Power).

Draz74
2009-06-10, 12:53 PM
There's also the UA Variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) where all of the Cleric's spellcasting is spontaneous. I'm a big fan; this makes MUCH more sense for a divine caster fluff-wise IMHO. And it makes Domain choices very important for a Cleric, too.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-10, 05:07 PM
Down with the generic cleric! Bring back spell spheres!

(I've never played AD&D, but I like the concept.)

And make Healing spells Necromancy, not Conjuration!

J.Gellert
2009-06-10, 06:00 PM
If he starts at high enough level, you can also reflavor the Hathran - all spells cast spontaneously, and divine casters qualify.