PDA

View Full Version : O-Chul's abillity scores must be ridiculous @.@

Charmy
2009-06-10, 10:57 AM
This strip suggests to me that O-Chul's Charisma is 12+. And this is from his self-admitted DUMP stat. Good lord man!

And why do I say that?:

Divine Grace (Su)
At 2nd level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

This strip: "...as the twelve gods helped me to do."

Either he's just stating that because his paladin levels have given him a better save, or he is referring to his Divine Grace. I'm guessing the latter, as otherwise he could easily say, "... as the physical conditioning I gained by being a fighter helped me to do."

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-10, 11:00 AM
I'm assuming it was a reference to the Divine Grace ability; his basic Will save wouldn't be that great from levels due to being a multiclass Fighter/Paladin. Regarding the use of Cha, while there's no evidence to sugges that he has access to Lay on Hands so far, he could have taken 1 feat which lets him use Wis for some Paladin abilities, which would boost his saves using Divine Grace.

Haedrian
Paladins have very rubbishy will saves to be honest, but hold person isn't that high level (think its level 3)

I think he was just being in character - also, took him a few tries (you get a new attempt once per round)

rainbowjo
This strip suggests to me that O-Chul's Charisma is 12+. And this is from his self-admitted DUMP stat. Good lord man!

And why do I say that?:

Divine Grace (Su)
At 2nd level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

Either he's just stating that because his paladin levels have given him a better save, or he is referring to his Divine Grace. I'm guessing the former, as otherwise he could easily say, "... as the physical conditioning I gained by being a fighter helped me to do."

He could be working off dice rolls instead of a point buy-system, I mean, we've already seen that he is very lucky with his dice, right? :D

dragonseth
2009-06-10, 11:08 AM
He could be working off dice rolls instead of a point buy-system, I mean, we've already seen that he is very lucky with his dice, right? :D

True. Having seen a triple-eighteen before, I'll attest to the sheer amount of bull that can ensue. Though I must say, it was a lot of fun.

Iranon
2009-06-10, 11:12 AM
Paladins have very rubbishy will saves to be honest, but hold person isn't that high level (think its level 3)

I think he was just being in character - also, took him a few tries (you get a new attempt once per round)

The spell they got caught in was Mass Hold Person though, and thatis level 7.

Raenir Salazar
2009-06-10, 11:12 AM
charisma is his dump stat, and its MASS Hold person, which is significantly higher up.

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-10, 11:18 AM
Its entirely possible o'chul rolled a natural 20 and thanked the gods for it.

Even with an 18 wis, a 16 cha, and a warrior pally split that doesn't interfere with his will saves, V should have comperable if not much higher save than o chul at this point.

Croverus
2009-06-10, 11:19 AM
I once rolled a character with all 16s, 17s and 18s. He was a human monk. I promptly named him Jackie Lee. By his bare hand, many lives were ended. He met his demise in a rather sad way though. While fighting in the highest spire of a tower, on top of a freggin mountain, the party was being overwhelmed by the main bad-guy's war-hulk (i think it was a giant, or an ogre). The main bad guy was just a spell caster and had used all his spells, so his muscle was doing the work. Jackie Lee was doing ok, but I was slowly being moved towards the entranceway. I trie to grapple and toss the guy off the tower. I rolled a 2, he rolled a 20. There wasa moment of silence as the DM figured out what happened. So they both fell... abotu 3400 ft. Dead.

Weimann
2009-06-10, 11:22 AM
If I was a religious person, and I just broke the spell of an undead abomination, I'd thank my god as well.

It doesn't really have to be any particular bonus he is referring to. It's just what a holy man would say.

Charmy
2009-06-10, 11:29 AM
V should have comperable if not much higher save than o chul at this point.

Well, if V has a 11 wisdom (Giant noted it as 'moderate' wisdom), and O-Chul has an 18 wisdom, then their saves should be about +9 vs +4 (+4) respectively.

And say if we gave O-Chul a charisma of 14, then that would push him to +10, beating out V.

But if he were 14 charisma you'd think he'd have had a better chance of bluffing Redcloak earlier :smallconfused:

dragonseth
2009-06-10, 11:30 AM
But if he were 14 charisma you'd think he'd have had a better chance of bluffing Redcloak earlier :smallconfused:

I don't know about that. Redcloak has a very high Wisdom, so his Sense Motive is good.

NerfTW
2009-06-10, 11:47 AM
It also could have been the MitD that let him break free, considering several panels later he teleports them away by wishing.

Dork Lord
2009-06-10, 11:48 AM
Didn't Rich actually come out and say that O-Chul has no Charisma bonus, or am I remembering wrong?

Raenir Salazar
2009-06-10, 12:05 PM
Didn't Rich actually come out and say that O-Chul has no Charisma bonus, or am I remembering wrong?

11 would confer no bonus.

Ancalagon
2009-06-10, 12:34 PM
Maybe his reference to "the god's helped me to break free" just referred to a very high roll of 18 to 20?

He surely has a wis-bonus, but from what we know about him surely no cha-bonus (or at least not higher than +1!)

Snake-Aes
2009-06-10, 12:36 PM

And why do I say that?:

Divine Grace (Su)

Either he's just stating that because his paladin levels have given him a better save, or he is referring to his Divine Grace. I'm guessing the latter, as otherwise he could easily say, "... as the physical conditioning I gained by being a fighter helped me to do."

At cha 0 he's still being helped by the gods. For a total of 0 bonus.

Just because he has faith in the gods, it doesn't mean they help him.
(arguably because HE helps the gods!). If he had a charisma bonus, his lie to RC would be more believable. And he would be able to Lay on Hands, which he has not done the whole strip.

Callista
2009-06-10, 12:48 PM
O-Chul strikes me as the sort of person who would thank the gods for anything good in his life, even if the gods hadn't directly caused it. After all, the gods created the OOtSverse, so they're the ultimate cause for everything.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-10, 12:58 PM
O-Chul strikes me as the sort of person who would thank the gods for anything good in his life, even if the gods hadn't directly caused it. After all, the gods created the OOtSverse, so they're the ultimate cause for everything.Twice.
fixt.

<obligatory text>

PrzeSzkoda
2009-06-10, 05:01 PM
All of you wondering why V failed hir Will save, remember hir's still under the effects of Tsukkiko's Mind Fog spell, and that means a -10 competence bonus on all Will saves. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindfog.htm

Worira
2009-06-10, 05:15 PM
V either saved or had immunity to mind-affecting spells for the fog. Also, "hir's"? That doesn't even make sense with made-up pronouns. That's like saying "his's" or "her's". Her is still under the effect of the mind fog. His has a penalty to will waves!

PrzeSzkoda
2009-06-10, 05:22 PM
V either saved or had immunity to mind-affecting spells for the fog. Also, "hir's"? That doesn't even make sense with made-up pronouns. That's like saying "his's" or "her's". Her is still under the effect of the mind fog. His has a penalty to will waves!

Conjoining "she" with "he" would result in "she", although I could have written (s)he, tru dat. You can now get yourself a cookie. Good job, Lassie.

Anyway, for a made-up pronoun nazi you seem to have problems with reading comprehension.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0653.html - immunity? Dispelled. Save against Mind Fog? Doesn't seem so, note how V's feeling woozy after falling into the Mind Fog's area of effect.

Worira
2009-06-10, 05:35 PM
Ah, true. That said, the effect has probably worn off by now.

David Argall
2009-06-10, 06:15 PM
All of you wondering why V failed hir Will save, remember hir's still under the effects of Tsukkiko's Mind Fog spell, and that means a -10 competence bonus on all Will saves. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindfog.htm

It can be argued either way, depending on the generosity of the DM. Anyway, it's a good enough case to make it reasonable that V only saves on a 20.

littlequietguy
2009-06-10, 06:20 PM
He means the gods actually helped him. Him and his deity have tea and biscuits and talk about killing people with their willpower alone every so often.
That god owed O-chul for helping him create the awesome sections of the universe.

warrl
2009-06-10, 11:57 PM
Well, if V has a 11 wisdom (Giant noted it as 'moderate' wisdom), and O-Chul has an 18 wisdom, then their saves should be about +9 vs +4 (+4) respectively.

I have seen nothing that makes me think V's wisdom is anywhere near as high as 11.

I'd guess more like 6.

Charmy
2009-06-11, 12:21 AM
I have seen nothing that makes me think V's wisdom is anywhere near as high as 11.

I'd guess more like 6.

Again, the Giant stated in his description of why the Illithid found Roy more tasty than V, that V has "moderate Wisdom".

I don't think a 6 would constitute moderate wisdom ^_~

I do agree though that V has only sporadically demonstrated wisdom in his/her actions, but I don't think he/she has demonstrated an appalling lack of common sense either.

Ossian
2009-06-11, 06:14 AM
V. has a history of repeatedly blowing Will saves, by the way.

This, and a DC of 10 (base) + 7 (mass hold person) + Xykon's whopping CHA bonus makes it a...shall we say DC 24 Will save? Not an easy task...

Callista
2009-06-11, 06:20 AM
"Moderate", I'd consider, would be 10-12. So yeah. V isn't completely lacking in willpower. On the other hand, if you look up "willpower" in the dictionary, you find a picture of O-Chul...

King of Nowhere
2009-06-11, 07:03 AM
Xykon's CHA is at least +9, for a cd of 26, and could be easily be up to +14.
That said, O-Chul is a pious persona and thanks the gods for everything. Even Miko did that, it seems common in azurite paladins. I suppose they pray the twelve gods for guidance before going to the toilet :smallbiggrin:.