PDA

View Full Version : Anti-magic magic item? [3.5]

Choco
2009-06-10, 11:17 AM
Say you have an item that is basically an AMF that you can turn on/off, how would it be affected inside of an AMF? I am thinking of trying to convince my current DM to let my barbarian have something like that to avoid becoming useless when forcecaged. I was considering some sort of short-range teleportation/shadowstep item but then remembered that with feats a caster can cast a shaped AMF to not include the forcecage. So my question is that if I had a "magic" item that could creat AMFs when activated, would it not be usable if inside of another AMF? Or would this be something the DM would have to fiat, and make the item contain some sort of material that is naturally magic canceling and pressing a button releases some of it?

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-10, 11:31 AM
Isn't the AMF centered on the caster anyway?

Choco
2009-06-10, 11:39 AM
Normally, but I have seen it cast on items/areas before with some feats, though it might have been house ruled. I am just trying to cover all possibilities.

Hat-Trick
2009-06-10, 11:44 AM
There's Anti-magic Bulwark from Draconomicron. +1 Tower Shield that allows you to activate Anti-magic 1/day. It says in the description that two anti-magic fields don't effect each other, so I'm assuming you could activate it with in one, but I'm not sure.

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-10, 11:45 AM
So first, the item: anti-magic torc, Underdark. 1/day, AMF centered on it.

As a DM, I wouldn't allow it work in a AMFielded zone, but I wouldn't allow an AMF not centered on the source (item or caster) anyway.

Hat-Trick
2009-06-10, 11:52 AM
So Arcane Archers hate you, right?

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-10, 11:55 AM

:smalleek:... Caught.

*COUGH* ok, unless specified. Well, this makesthings for the OP harder..

Choco
2009-06-10, 12:09 PM

LOL, actually, one of my party members is an arcane archer who knows I only carry melee weapons (my char believes ranged weapons are for wimps that don't have the cojones to battle face to face) and has some custom spiderclimb boots that even let her RUN up walls. She always uses the threat of climbing out of my reach and shooting me to get her way whenever we argue (all in character, there is no OOC drama). So technically this is reason #2 I want said item :smalltongue:

p.s. I am just waiting until the next time we are in a forest... I will call her on that, she will run up a tree and try to shoot me, and I will proceed to charge (shock trooper/leap attack) the tree and cut it down with 1 blow of mah mighty Adamantite Fullblade :smallbiggrin:

If the fall don't kill her, my blade will next round :smallbiggrin:

Edit: So far it seems that it would be up to the DM whether the item could be activated in an AMF or not... I will have to ask him how it would be before I decide to try to get one...