PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Random Encounter Generator - Improved!

TheOverlord
2009-06-10, 02:40 PM
I just thought I would let people know as this has been a fairly popular portion of the Monster Advancer (http://www.monsteradvancer.com). The random encounter generator (http://www.monsteradvancer.com) now lets you generate a number of creatures a given CR or generate an encounter at any level you specify (it does the # of creatures and distributions to approximate the EL you asked for)

It also lets you restrict either method by creature type or environment.
(I wouldn't currently recommend restricting too much just because we need to increase the sheer volume of monsters in the system but do what you like)

For example:

I want a 10th level EL of Goblinoids. The system generates a randomly selected group of creatures that are goblinoids (currently only bugbears and goblins I think). It decides to return the following:

Goblin Rogue4 (CR4)
Bugbear Rogue2 (CR4)
Goblin Bard4 (CR4)
Goblin Sorcerer4 (CR4)

Spellwarped, Fiendish Bugbear Cleric1 (CR3)
Vampire Goblin Monk1 (CR3)
Vampire Goblin Fighter1 (CR3)

Goblin Fighter5 (CR5)

4 CR 4 creatures, 3 CR 3 creatures and 1 CR 5 creature which adds up to about a 9.83 EL overall.

That's right...it will give back advanced monsters, creatures with class levels, creatures with templates, creatures with templates and class levels, creatures with advanced hit dice, class levels and templates...you name it. All while working out groups of creatures of all different group distributions from one creature to many--and keeping the Encounter Level fairly close to what you want.

I hope you like it and send me your feedback.
(I just generated a Minotaur with 6 levels of Bard -- his perform skills were dance and string instruments)

Help 3.5 Thrive!

Flickerdart
2009-06-10, 03:43 PM
It gave me two Ogre wizards with INT 6 and an orc Sorcerer with CHA 7. Does the generator account for associated/useful classes?

13_CBS
2009-06-10, 03:44 PM
It gave me two Ogre wizards with INT 6 and an orc Sorcerer with CHA 7.

That's AWESOME. :smallbiggrin:

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-10, 03:50 PM
Vampire Goblin Monk1 (CR3)
Vampire Goblin Fighter1 (CR3)Neither of these templates are applicable, though - Vampire can only be applied to a creature with five or more HD/levels.

TheOverlord
2009-06-10, 04:04 PM
It does not currently take into account associated class levels. I am currently writing some basic (failsafe) rules to avoid just what you describe. It won't be perfect but it will know enough to know that primary stat for caster classes needs to be at least high enough to allow them to cast. I will let people know when I have that improvement in. Once it takes this into account it will also take that into account for CR as an non-associated class level only counts +1CR per 2 levels.

TSED
2009-06-10, 04:04 PM
This is gorgeous.

One thing that could be amazing is the ability to add in your own templates somehow, but that sounds like it could be a lot of work. ):

TheOverlord
2009-06-10, 04:06 PM
Neither of these templates are applicable, though - Vampire can only be applied to a creature with five or more HD/levels.

You got me there as well. I am currently making all templates run basic routines to test for validity. It isn't very clear cut though as certain templates can break their own rules under certain circumstances but that will also be in the next round. (Low level creatures will also tend to have less templates applied...my current system tends to try reach the expected CR with templates on low level creatures slightly more than I would like.)

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-10, 04:11 PM
Also, testing it out, I just got a wood-elf paladin that was TN.

Starbuck_II
2009-06-10, 05:17 PM
Neither of these templates are applicable, though - Vampire can only be applied to a creature with five or more HD/levels.

Maybe it means Vampire Spawn: they can have less than 5?

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-10, 05:27 PM
Vampire Spawn, as they are in the Monster Manual, are not actually templates - they're creatures in their own right.

TheOverlord: I'd like to see the Hooded Pupil template. That one's pretty cool. :smallcool:

Zeful
2009-06-10, 05:35 PM
I got a Gnome wizard with a 14 con and a 10 int.

Playing with it further I got a minotaur and got it to generate a CR 0 encounter.

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-10, 06:02 PM
Also, when I tried to set it up with 7 CR 4 monsters, it gave me this...

"Encounter Level: CR 8 + CR 6 + CR 4"

:smallconfused:

Don't get me wrong; this thing is pretty cool. :smallcool: For all my nitpicks, I love this thing. :smallsmile:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-10, 06:06 PM
1d3 Dire Camels.

Coidzor
2009-06-10, 07:15 PM
Smoke 'em if you got 'em.:smallamused:

kjones
2009-06-10, 08:38 PM
I asked for a 10th level encounter. It gave me:

A Centaur Druid 1
A Human Druid 3 / Bard 1
An Ogre Monk 1 (with 10 Wis, natch!)
A Drow Sorcerer 3 (can't tell if it's male or female - this is actually pretty important in this case)
A Wyrmling Green Dragon Rogue 1
A Monstrous Large Ghost Spider
A Human Rogue 3 / Paladin 1
And last but not least... a half-fiend spellwarped ghost stirge.

If I could come up with some plausible reason as to why all these monsters would be together in one encounter, I would be the greatest DM of all time.

Seriously, I love this thing. Kudos.

TSED
2009-06-10, 09:17 PM

A Centaur Druid 1
A Human Druid 3 / Bard 1
A Drow Sorcerer 3 (can't tell if it's male or female - this is actually pretty important in this case)

If I could come up with some plausible reason as to why all these monsters would be together in one encounter, I would be the greatest DM of all time.

Drow sorcerer has made liberal use of charm person and actually befriended the charmees afterwords?

AppleChips
2009-06-10, 09:40 PM
I just got a Half-orc paladin with 8 cha and a Gnoll bard with 8 cha. But I love it anyways!

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-10, 09:55 PM
I think you should put the link in your sig TheOverlord. It saves you the trouble of typing it out all the time :smallsmile:

But anyway, I really like it. Its pretty awesome.

Dagren
2009-06-10, 11:49 PM
Drow sorcerer has made liberal use of charm person and actually befriended the charmees afterwords?Maybe, except for the fact that most of them aren't, you know, humanoids?

Fizban
2009-06-11, 12:14 AM
At level 1, I cycled between gobliin barbarian 1 and monstrous spider.

For my first hit at level 10, I got:

Mimic
Dire Wolf
5 headed Hydra
Very Yound Green Dragon, and:
Fiendish Spellwarped Half-Copper Dragon Ghost Ghoul

Template validity aside (half dragon undead? ghost of a ghoul?), as kjones said, figuring out why those are all in the same place on the same side would take the greatest DM of all time.

I don't have the first idea of how the program is set up, but I have a suggestion: set it up so that it has an elite array distribution for all the base classes, and have it apply proper ability mods from the monster after. Then if an ability is too low, it rejects it and tries again. If you don't want to put in all the ability mods by hand, set up a part to derive them using the -10/11 rule.

Edit: also, this thing is awesome :smallwink:

Hmm, might want to add how contructs don't get feats from HD. You mentioned something about associated classes above, might I also suggest (even more work) a few feat trees for each class? And a sample animal companion to go with the driuds?

Are the templates weighted in any way? It seems like every 4th or 5th monster has a template, and half the time it's spellwarped, ghost, or both. Aside from a limit on number of templates you might weigh some of them against each other, and find a way to put them together in packs. If you did template selection first, you could have the first one increase the chances of others being the same template, and increase the chances of having wizards to go along with their creations, for example.

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-11, 12:42 AM
It seems like every 4th or 5th monster has a template, and half the time it's spellwarped, ghost, or both.Heh, when I asked for 5 mid-CR constructs, four of them were templated-to-hell homonculi. :smallamused:

kjones
2009-06-11, 12:48 AM

A Centaur Druid 1
A Human Druid 3 / Bard 1

Sorry to quote myself, but I think I figured out how to make this encounter work.

I just thought to myself for a bit - when you have a bunch of mismatched misfits together in one place, what do you call it?

An adventuring party, of course! :biggrin:

Meet The Replacements:

Samuel Taggart was born and raised a druid, but he always had one dream - to share the beautiful music of his glade with the world. Unfortunately, teaching anyone the druidic language would mean expulsion from the circle however... and you thought you had trouble finding a backup singer! He has thus resorted to his other true love, beat-boxing. This so annoyed the druids of his circle that they kicked him out, but he vowed to wander the wide world until he could find enough other druid/bards with whom he could form an all-druidic a capella group.

While the other ogres hit each other over the head with rocks, young Krunk yearned for something more - enlightenment. He spent days, weeks, months in meditation, until he realized that it would probably be easier to hit somebody over the head with a rock and take their enlightenment. He's on a quest to do just that.

Gabriel "Sunshine" McAllister was never like the other drow. When they used their spells to torment small animals and battle each other for honor and superiority within their clan, he used his to create illusions of bright rainbows and pretty flowers. Needless to say, this did not endear him to the sunlight-hating drow, and he was cast out. Not the brightest crayon in the drawer, he assumed that this was because his illusions weren't pretty enough - he swore not to return home until he had the arcane might necessary to flood the Underdark with sunshine, and then all the other drow would be able to appreciate his magic.

Ezekiel Knifer was just another street urchin, looking out for number one and willing to stab anyone and anything in order to get ahead. One day, however, his life was changed when a priest of Pelor showed him the true meaning of friendship and fire safety. He made the fateful decision to enter the ranks of the paladinhood - but once his former enemies realized what this meant (namely, that he would face them with honor, wouldn't hit them if they were down, would show them charity and mercy, etc.) he was run out of town rather quickly, but is keen to spread the Good Word all over these wicked lands. He is aided in his quest by his noble steed, Grimlock the Insubstantial, a ghost monstrous spider whose unswerving loyalty Ezekiel won on the field of battle. Strangely, riding Grimlock is indistinguishable from walking... for everyone except Ezekiel, that is.

Thomas the green dragon always knew he was different from the other boys growing up on the tough streets. It took him a long time to realize that not everyone had the power to fly or breathe acid - he always assumed that the others just weren't trying hard enough. Denied membership to the Thieves' Guild due to racial discrimination, he struck out on his own, promising to show that even a creature with a horrendous level adjustment could go on to become the greatest thief the world has ever seen.

Yonn Yonson, the centaur druid, is the straight-man - the glue that holds the party together, and keeps this ragtag bunch of misfits from going for each others' throats. His attempts at peace and co-operation are constantly being foiled, however, thanks to the wacky hijinks of his animal companion: Sucky, the half-fiend spellwarped ghost stirge. Sucky was a demonic stirge with a curious aptitude for magic, sent to the Prime Material Plane to wreak havoc, but he met his fate one day when an enterprising young wizard pulled out a can of Raid. (That utility belt has everything!) Kicked off the Prime Material Plane, however, he soon found that the Nine Hells didn't want him either - he's cursed to walk the earth until he can give back every pint of blood he stole, a task made more difficult due to his incorporeality. The day he met Yonn Yonson, he latched onto him (literally!) and much to the centaur's chagrin, they've been inseparable ever since.

Together, they are The Replacements! They walk the earth and fight crime.

krko
2009-06-11, 12:49 AM
Tried specifying an ECL 20 Dragon encounter and got:

Sea Serpent, Fanged, Sorcerer 10 with cha 6
Sea Serpent, Brine x2
Wyvern
Vampire Dragon, Green (Young Adult)
and greatest of them all the
Ghost Brass Half-Dragon Fiendish Vampire Spellwarped Dragon, Green (Young)

I, for one, want to know the story behind that last one.

Rockphed
2009-06-11, 01:29 AM
I just generated this encounter:

Vampire Spellwarped Ghost Fiendish Brass Half-Dragon Rust Monster
Spellwarped Fiendish Vampire Black Half-Dragon Ghost Rust Monster
Delver x2
Spellwarped Gibbering Mouther
Mimic, Sorcerer 12

So, tell me what we have here. Is it a ghost seeking revenge on his evil half-brother murderer? Or is everything in the thrall of the sorcerer?

daggaz
2009-06-11, 02:20 AM
Vampire Rust monsters..... *shivers* Level drain and it destroys your equipment?? My friends would kill me in RL.

"I vant to fveel your rust!!"

sofawall
2009-06-11, 03:42 AM
Tried specifying an ECL 20 Dragon encounter and got:

Sea Serpent, Fanged, Sorcerer 10 with cha 6
Sea Serpent, Brine x2
Wyvern
Vampire Dragon, Green (Young Adult)
and greatest of them all the
Ghost Brass Half-Dragon Fiendish Vampire Spellwarped Dragon, Green (Young)

I, for one, want to know the story behind that last one.

I almost woke up my brother laughing at 4:45 in the morning. :smallbiggrin:

Peregrine
2009-06-11, 07:01 AM
Meet The Replacements:

So. Much. Win. :smallbiggrin:

TheOverlord
2009-06-11, 08:18 AM
I love that you guys are liking this thing. I can provide a bit of background as to the issues and what I am working on so you have some insight as to where this is going.

First, there are different flows depending on what the application decides it has to accomplish. For example: When you ask for a level 3 encounter it first decides on encounter group distribution (Do I give 2 level 1 creatures or 1 level 3 which are about the only 2 real options). Then it tries to generate those options so it goes to find any creatures that are equal to or less than the level it is looking for and decides if it can get it to the necessary CR.

In this case we will assume it chose 1 level CR3 creature and that you asked it only for constructs. Right now there is only one construct of low enough level to even attempt...the Homunculus. So it ends up selecting that creature and then it randomly selects a flow. Now a homunculus officially has a 10 INT so it could take class levels. So, it has the option to try to raise racial hd, class levels or add templates to reach the given CR...or some combination of the above.

As you have seen though...it currently is quite zealous about reaching its limit for CR and most templates just don't add much (if anything) to CR when the base creature has 1 HD...so it keeps adding a bit more than I would like.

I am going to tweak some of the decision making but stuff like that is tricky because you want to keep decisions as simple as possible of stuff starts to go wrong. But, there you have it...an inside look into why you can generate the craziest Homunculi ever.

It is a combination of low base HD with too few low level constructs. You will notice similar issues with other low HD creatures like the Stirge...(although with the Stirge class levels aren't even an option due to the low INT and it doesn't have any HD to advance to officially...so its only option to try to boost CR is templates...guess what happens).

A lot of these things will continue to become less frequent as we increase the number of creatures in the advancer just because the oddities won't get selected as much...although the Stirge may have this problem for a while since it doesn't have a lot of options...poor guy.

Dagren
2009-06-11, 08:35 AM
I take it you are going to code it to prevent template stacking then? Like, 1 template per creature, the rest must come from class levels and/or advanced hit dice.

TheOverlord
2009-06-11, 09:31 AM
I am going to at least make having more than 2 templates fairly infrequent...a creature should be able to stack (legitimate) templates as much as they want...but it will be far more rare.

BooNL
2009-06-11, 09:52 AM
Just made a CR 10 encounter. I was fairly suprised when I saw only one entry:

Ghost Spellwarped Vampire Fiendish Hydra, 5-headed CR 10

Awesome :smallbiggrin:

TheOverlord
2009-06-11, 10:56 AM
Have you ever tried to sunder the head of an incorporeal hydra? Good luck with that.

kjones
2009-06-11, 11:18 AM
Have you ever tried to sunder the head of an incorporeal hydra? Good luck with that.

Here's the general outcome of every hydra battle I've ever seen:

The players encounter the hydra
Someone remembers their mythology, and asks about severing heads
We spend a few minutes looking at Sunder rules
The players realize that none of them have Improved Sunder, and that they'll be taking tons of AoOs
The players say "Screw it" and bash the thing to pieces the old-fashioned way.

vegetalss4
2009-06-11, 11:25 AM

A Centaur Druid 1
A Human Druid 3 / Bard 1

easy, they are an adventure party

Emy
2009-06-11, 11:44 AM
Just made a CR 10 encounter. I was fairly suprised when I saw only one entry:

Ghost Spellwarped Vampire Fiendish Hydra, 5-headed CR 10

Awesome :smallbiggrin:

The problems here being that a Ghost Vampire cannot exist, nor can a Vampire Hydra

If you drop the vampire template, and apply the other templates in the right order, you could have a Fiendish Spellwarped Ghost Hydra, which would be an Undead (Augmented Magical Beast, Augmented Aberration).

To make up for the lost CR from the vampire template, turn it into a Fiendish Spellwarped Ghost Cryohydra to get back up to CR 10.

TheOverlord
2009-06-11, 11:45 AM
The next major enhancement:

Themes --(for more plausible encounters)
Sewer encounters.
City encounters.
Crypt encounters.
Etc.
(You tell me what themes you want and I just may make it happen.)

Themes let me do a bit more organizing of creatures so that the creatures you get back are a bit more coherent. I am not taking away the randomness...because that is fun...but themes will be a new option.

If you select some type of Dark Magical Forest encounter...it may select a boss Druid and a bunch of animal companions...perhaps even those grouped up a bit. A Druid with 3 dire wolves and a dire tiger. Or a Green Dragon with a bunch of kobolds.

Obviously, the amount of intelligence the application needs to accomplish this is fairly high and I am working on crafting the AI now. (Item Creation Feat: wondrous items)

Let me know what you think and what you want.

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-11, 11:47 AM
Overlord, I really dig your work here. I can tell you've put a crapton of thought and effort into it. Like anything, there's some kinks to work out, but that doesn't really come out without testing. Keep at it - this is a great resource! :smallsmile:

kjones
2009-06-11, 11:51 AM
easy, they are an adventure party

Did you read my follow-up post?

The next major enhancement:

Themes --(for more plausible encounters)
Sewer encounters.
City encounters.
Crypt encounters.
Etc.
(You tell me what themes you want and I just may make it happen.)

Themes let me do a bit more organizing of creatures so that the creatures you get back are a bit more coherent. I am not taking away the randomness...because that is fun...but themes will be a new option.

If you select some type of Dark Magical Forest encounter...it may select a boss Druid and a bunch of animal companions...perhaps even those grouped up a bit. A Druid with 3 dire wolves and a dire tiger. Or a Green Dragon with a bunch of kobolds.

Obviously, the amount of intelligence the application needs to accomplish this is fairly high and I am working on crafting the AI now. (Item Creation Feat: wondrous items)

Let me know what you think and what you want.

I feel like instead of implementing a major feature like that, you should focus on fixing bugs - specifically, impossible template stacking and monsters with terrible stats for their class. (Casters who can't cast being the most significant problem, IMHO.)

Unless you consider these "features", in which case you might want to make them optional.

vegetalss4
2009-06-11, 12:10 PM
Did you read my follow-up post?

sorry, no i didn't:smallredface: i usually does

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 12:14 PM
A note: it doesn't mention gnomes' spell-like abilities when it generates them with class levels.

Also, I would agree that the way stats are determined for classed NPCs needs some work. Maybe a hierarchy of stats highest to lowest based on the class chosen.

Possibly eventually with an option to choose between non-elite, elite, and rolled stats...

Maybe even eventually aim for a way to interact with generated results that allows some further focusing/tweaking (like buttons to say, reroll creature stats or give them an array)

You've made progress (and even given us a bit of amusement with some of the bugs), but I'd echo kjones here and recommend trying to shore up the weaknesses before adding in more features.

I do like the idea of more focussed "themes" for encounters, and I'd recommend some along the lines of "Back Alley/Abandoned Warehouse," "Pirates," and maybe an "Adventurers/Mirrormatch" which specifically tries to put together an NPC adventuring party. Maybe even a DM's challenge in the form of a "Dirty Dozen"

kjones: I did like your hypothetical followup about the adventuring party. Especially the druid/bard and the ogre monk...:smallbiggrin:

Edit: Interestingly it seems it either has forgotten the fey you've entered into its tables or you have the Fey type up without having entered any fey creatures.

Starbuck_II
2009-06-11, 12:29 PM
I'm trying 25:
I got:
Kraken
Hellfire Bloodshark, Raging
Hellfire Bloodshark, Raging
Ogre Mage, Paladin 8, Sorcerer 4 (Wis 14 and Cha 17, so he can cast spells)

Okay, this Paladin is friends with evil creatures... But not bad either way.

13:
Spellwarped Spider, Monstrous Gargantuan
Tendriculos

15:
Gorgon
Roper
Flesh Golem
Goblin, Cleric 6, Paladin 4

TheOverlord
2009-06-11, 02:05 PM
The stats things have come up in the normal generator as well. I am planning on implementing something at least for the creatures that only advance by class. The trouble with the rest is that every creature would have to be reverse engineered for stat by stat racial bonuses. Which I am more than willing to do but it will be a while before I get to that. (If someone already knows of a creature list with racial bonuses for every stat speak now!)

In the mean time my short-term plan is this. Implement system for stat assignment based on stat preferences based on class. I have some old code that already sets up stat priority based on class. This will work for all creatures that advance by character class. For other creatures that happen to end up with class levels I will put in some other special logic to make sure requisite stats are met until such a time as I have racial stat adjustments for every creature.

This also means that putting in a feature to allow rolling of stats for any creature which I know the racial bonuses would be fairly simple.

Kris Strife
2009-06-11, 02:40 PM
I feel like instead of implementing a major feature like that, you should focus on fixing bugs - specifically, impossible template stacking and monsters with terrible stats for their class. (Casters who can't cast being the most significant problem, IMHO.)

Unless you consider these "features", in which case you might want to make them optional.

I consider it an awesome feature, and vote to have an optional switch to turn off the template and stat/class based filters.

A Ghost Fiendish Spellwarped Green Half-Dragon Vampire Rust Monster CR 14
and a Brass Half-Dragon Ghost Vampire Fiendish Spellwarped Rust Monster CR 13...

Coidzor
2009-06-11, 03:20 PM
Hmm, that would be a useful table to have... I believe I've seen something along those lines before, at least for humanoids/PC-possible races...

http://crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php The "races" index here might be of some use.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112059 a semi-related topic which might give you some ideas... or maybe just seeing a similar effort might get something flowing. http://www.dinglesgames.com/tools/NPCGenerator/dnd35/

TheOverlord
2009-06-11, 03:25 PM
I will look into those lists. I am familiar with Crystal Keep's stuff but I haven't looked for this information specifically before so it may help me get a good start on it. (Savage Species will also help me a ways I imagine). With the humanoid races I am not too worried because the vast majority of those are listed in the Monster Manual itself.

Thanks.

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-11, 03:43 PM
Someone remembers their mythology, and asks about severing headsI wish more people I know remembered their mythology. I've had to tell the tale of the Twelve Labors of Heracles about five times now. :smallannoyed:

Dixieboy
2009-06-11, 03:58 PM
I just generated this encounter:

Vampire Spellwarped Ghost Fiendish Brass Half-Dragon Rust Monster
Spellwarped Fiendish Vampire Black Half-Dragon Ghost Rust Monster

That is the scariest encounter of all time.

'kay, so I'm trying to summon lvl 10 planar animals/vermin.

Trying without the planar restriction

Edit:I got a Dire shark and a Dire bear :smallannoyed
And a Fiendish Gold Half-Dragon Spellwarped Vampire Spider.

kjones
2009-06-11, 05:14 PM
I wish more people I know remembered their mythology. I've had to tell the tale of the Twelve Labors of Heracles about five times now. :smallannoyed:

I've had a lot of respect for the power of remembering one's mythology ever since Henry Jones remembered his Charlemagne in The Last Crusade.

arguskos
2009-06-11, 05:29 PM
First things first, this thing is AWESOME to fiddle about with. Good stuff (like when it gave me a spellwarped vampire dretch wizard 1, with Int 13 to boot!).

However, why is the only elemental creature it's spitting out at me the Invisible Stalker (templated of course)? Are the other elementals not programmed yet?

TheOverlord
2009-06-11, 06:58 PM
However, why is the only elemental creature it's spitting out at me the Invisible Stalker (templated of course)? Are the other elementals not programmed yet?

You got me there. I am constantly adding more creatures to the list. If you have requests like more elementals just say so and I will push them up the list. If you want a quick run down take a look at the quickened or main monster advancer (http://www.monsteradvancer.com)and the lists of creatures show every creature I currently have in there. More coming soon...just make your requests known!

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-11, 07:54 PM
CR 10s:
Red Half-Dragon Gelatinous Cube
Vampire Fiendish Ghost Bronze Half-Dragon Gnome
Vampire Blue Half-Dragon Ghost Fiendish Spellwarped Darkmantle

Basically: Your generator likes the Half-Dragon, Vampire, Spellwarped and Fiendish templates.

TheOverlord
2009-06-12, 07:53 AM
Basically: Your generator likes the Half-Dragon, Vampire, Spellwarped and Fiendish templates.

There are more templates in the system than I have set up the random encounter generator (http://www.monsteradvancer.com) to use. I will be hooking in the rest once I get system to ensure the template is valid for the given creature. As it stands it can be very generous with the aforementioned templates.

BooNL
2009-06-12, 08:11 AM
As mentioned before, I think you should put your main focus on getting the generated stats right. This tool should make it so that DM's don't have to double check the creature stats for mistakes.

Another idea that I'd like to see implemented is selecting a range of creatures to stat out.

For example, you select a CR 10 encounter and are able to choose between:
1 creature
2-5 creatures
5-10 creatures
1-100 creatures
etc.

Awesome work though, really awesome.

Ghost Fiendish Gold Half-Dragon Spellwarped Vampire Dragon, Green (Young) CR 16!

TheOverlord
2009-06-12, 08:40 AM
Another idea that I'd like to see implemented is selecting a range of creatures to stat out.

For example, you select a CR 10 encounter and are able to choose between:
1 creature
2-5 creatures
5-10 creatures
1-100 creatures
etc.

That is a very good idea. The trick there is that getting combinations of creatures with varied CRs that add up to the given EL is trickier than one might imagine. But, I already have some thoughts that could get pretty close to what you are looking for. I will add this to my list of potential features and once I get the core adjustments done I think I will do something with this.

Thanks.

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 10:24 AM
this is awesome :D

Vampire Gelatinous Cube CR 6
Always Neutral Evil Large Undead
Init -3

AC 12 FF 15 Touch 6
(-1 size, -3 Dex , +6 natural)
HD: 8
HP: 52 (8d12+0)
Fort +2 Ref -1 Will -2

Speed 15ft
Base Atk +6 Grp +13
Attack: Slam +8 1d6+4
Max Power Attack: Slam +2 1d6+16
Full Attack: Slam +8 1d6+4
Space 10 ft. (2 squares) Reach 5 ft. (1 squares)

Abilities Str 16(+3) Dex 5(-3) Con -- Int -- Wis 3(-4) Cha 5(-3)
Stat Points Gained From Advancement: 1

Total Feats: 3
Feats: Power Attack

Engulf(Ex): Reflex save DC 18(+4 HD, +1 Racial, +3 Str, +0 Feat) avoids
Although it moves slowly, a gelatinous cube can simply mow down Large or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The gelatinous cube merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make opportunity attacks against the cube, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent's choice) as the cube moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the cube's paralysis and acid, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body.
Paralysis(Ex): Fortitude save DC 14(+4 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) avoids
A gelatinous cube secretes an anesthetizing slime. A target hit by a cube's melee or engulf attack can be paralyzed for 3d6 rounds. The cube can automatically engulf a paralyzed opponent.
Transparent(Ex): Gelatinous cubes are hard to see, even under ideal conditions, and it takes a DC 15 Spot check to notice one. Creatures who fail to notice a cube and walk into it are automatically engulfed.
Damage Reduction(Su): 20/silver and magic
Cold Resistance(Ex): 10
Electricity Resistance(Ex): 10

i so need to draw a vampire Gelatinous Cube (is the type of cube even possible?)

Coidzor
2009-06-12, 11:51 AM
Nope. Gelatinous Cubes count as oozes (though I always thought they were fairly obvious and green in any kind of decent lighting.), and so can't really become undead.

...Though having a vampire gelatinous cube create spawn would be.... Interesting to say the least.

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 12:33 PM
hmm maybe i will make a room or portal that shoots the party into a alternate plane that makes it possible hmmm

TheOverlord
2009-06-13, 12:14 AM
Right now templates aren't being validated at all...but turning the rules for templates on or off will definitely be something that is left up the user...in the end creativity is up to the DM so there is no need to force anything. If a gelatinous cube that is a vampire inspires you, that is awesome!

Cedrass
2009-06-13, 01:07 PM
Mhhh, I noticed something today. Your generator has no animals that we can advance...

And by putting animals, maybe having the option of having Awaken casted on it would be nice.

TheOverlord
2009-06-15, 01:00 PM
I will be putting in some animals soon especially focusing on standard ones as well as ones that would commonly be familiars. With that in mind what are people's thoughts of having Familiar be a class you can add to a creature rather than a template. As a class the level you specify would indicate the level of character the creature is a familiar for. Thus Familiar 4 would give a +2 to natural armor, a 7 int and the special ability to deliver touch spells. (As well as the level 1 and 2 powers: Alertness, improved evasion, share spells, empathic link.)

Thoughts?