PDA

View Full Version : Promoting an author. What would you do?

Talanic
2009-06-10, 04:35 PM
I'm a former student of author P. C. Hodgell, and I'm a writer myself. I've spent the last couple months designing a tabletop RPG based on her books. Other than that, I'm sporadically employed and have a bunch of time on my hands, and she's got a launch party coming up here in my hometown, promoting her next book.

Since I have so much time and no regular employment, I've decided to do quite a bit of promotion for her (largely because I believe she deserves it).

The party's on July 7th, here in Oshkosh, Wisconsin (in case anyone actually was interested in showing up). I've been working on the following ideas...

1. Promotional cards at comic stores and book shops (with owners' permission of course) that also serve as raffle tickets.

2. Autographed books - but those are the easy part.

3. The RPG is likely to be playable by then, so I'm going to try to showcase it. Unfortunately the agent in charge of producing the official contract regarding the RPG hasn't gotten back to me yet; I'm going to keep working on it but it's in a bizarre limbo.

4. Merchandise that emulates the major artifacts of the series (a book bound in pale leather, an ivory knife and a serpent-skinned cloak). Potential prizes for the raffle.

5. An armored dueling jacket such as what the heroine of the series wears.

I'm also theoretically looking into getting Amtgard players, wearing said armored jackets, playing out knife fights.

I've found us a very geeky celebrity who's declared that she loves this author, but I don't have clearance to use any blurbs from her and won't use her name until I have such permission.

So, that's what I've done so far. What would YOU do to promote an author you like?

Robert_Frazer
2009-06-11, 05:49 AM
In addition to the above, make sure that you can get any of her new releases reviewed. There's the possibility of receiving negative reviews, of course, but certain people will still want the 'official reccommendation' that a good review provides.