PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Dwarves

TheThan
2005-11-14, 07:03 PM
Ok this is part 2 in my three part series on my modified core races. The first is Attack of the gnomes (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1131439784 ). Now this is about the dwarves I tweaked for my campaign. Please feel free to post any questions or comments you have concerning them. Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

The dwarves

Dwarves are great traders with a vast trade empire. They live in large coastal cities where almost anything can be bough or sold. Therefore they are going to have easy access to silk, gold and other merchandise.

Personality
Dwarves are proud and dedicated. They tend to be serous, but they do enjoy good entertainment and a good laugh. They love precious metals, gems and other expensive commodities. This has lead to their roll as merchants. Some have become a bit greedy, and are a bit distrustful of others. They are always quick to make a good deal; but they do not cheat their customers. Although they can be a bit misleading in their negotiations with others. Dwarves have taken to the sea nicely, while they have no natural affinity for the ocean; they do not detest it ether.
They have a very strong belief in justice and crime is usually dealt with swiftly and harshly. Some times they have an “eye for an eye” view of crime. They believe that the punishment fits the crime. Many thieves have lost a hand because of their strict and harsh crime laws. Even owning a set of thief’s tools is cause for an arrest and interrogation.
Some adventuring dwarves have developed a mercenary outlook to life and their adventuring careers. They often times approach life as if everything is an exchange or something to bargain with.
Physical description
Dwarves are a hearty lot. While only standing about 4 to 4.5 feet tall, they can weigh as much as a human. They are stocky and strong and well suited to their desert home. Most men wear their hair short and sport neatly trimmed beards. Their hair can range in color from black to bright red. They have dark skin, usually olive or bronze in tone. Their eyes are as varied in color as humans are; though they are typically a bit squinty. They prefer very loose clothing that helps keep them cool in the heat. Their clothes vary in elegance from the ornate to the simple. They love to wear gold and gems and often times make clothing out of gold and expensive fabrics. Dwarves live to an average of 400 years. They become adults at around 50.
Female dwarves are about the same size but are a bit lighter than the males. They tend to wear their hair long, and in a variety of styles. Their style of dress is a varied as the men’s. Whether they dress ornately or simply females always wear gold and jewelry. Female dwarves do not posses facial hair.
Relations
Dwarves get along very well with humans. Despite their longer lives dwarves and humans are quick to become friends. They have shared a beneficial trade agreement for a long time now.
Dwarves see the gnomes as wild savages. They generally do not tolerate them, feeling that they are a danger to the stability of their society.
Alignment
Dwarves believe strongly in law. They are always reliable and an excellent hand in a fight. However their knack for trade and potential greed leads them towards a neutral state.
Dwarven lands
Most dwarves live in large coastal cites located around a large desert. Smaller communities sprout up around any oasis large enough to sport village size communities. Most dwarf communities well defended. The desert is a dangerous place.
The port towns are built around commerce. There are usually several large bazaars. They also sport vast shipyards and docks.
[/b]Religion
Dwarves worship a god of commerce or of gold. Other possible gods include a god of roads such as fharlanghn.
Language
Dwarves speak dwarfish; they have no problem learning other tongues.
Names
Adventures
Dwarves seek adventure because it presents a good opportunity to seek out new riches and also to seek out new business opportunities.
[list] Racal traits
+2 strength, -2 Dexterity: dwarves are strong and sturdy but they lack physical grace.
+2 fortitude save vs hot weather: dwarves have developed a natural resistance to the effects of hot weather.
Bonus class skill: survival. Dwarves learn how to protect themselves from the elements at an early age. If a dwarf starts play as a class that grants survival as a class skill, then this becomes a +2 racial bonus to survival instead. (they do not receive this bonus when muliclassing)
+2 racial bonuses on appraise checks and diplomacy checks made to buy and sell items.
Medium sized: as medium sized creature dwarves gain no bonuses or minuses due to their size.
Base land speed 20 ft: dwarves can move at their full land speed while wearing medium orheavy armor, or while carrying a medium or heavy load.
Favored class: fighter

edit fixed beard part of their description

The_Werebear
2005-11-14, 07:12 PM
Something that confuses me. They have the ability to move well in heavy and medium armor. Since when does someone who wants to keep cool in the desert invest in platemail? Just something to think about.

Thomas
2005-11-14, 07:47 PM
I don't think it's intended (in the original write-up) to reflect a learned skill, but rather their powerful, sturdy build.

CaptG1066
2005-11-14, 08:34 PM
Something that confuses me. They have the ability to move well in heavy and medium armor. Since when does someone who wants to keep cool in the desert invest in platemail? Just something to think about.

Having the ability doesn't automatically mean having the desire to do it. Besides, war happens in the desert too.

I like the build.

CaptG

Leperflesh
2005-11-14, 08:38 PM
I don't get it.

Most of the description says they're desert-dwellers, yet the first paragraph says they live in "large coastal cities". Coastal cities are, as a rule, cooler and not desert areas (there are a very few exceptions to this but it is surpassingly rare). And you go on to describe their sailing prowess.

-Lep

Rastl_Deeperdown
2005-11-14, 10:07 PM
Female dwarves do not posses facial hair.

Meh. Where's the fun in that?

TheThan
2005-11-14, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the posts everyone.

First off the ability to wear heavy armor is supposed to reflect their powerful and stout build. Also who would wear heavy armor all the time anyway? I certainly wouldn’t.

Most of the time dwarves HATE traveling by sea. I guess its because they (usually) live underground. But since mine don’t live underground; I decided that they should have no particular fear or hatred of the sea, but neither do they have an affinity for it. I said nothing about them being excellent sailors.

As so far as them living along the coast, it only makes sense that a vast portion of any desert population is going to migrate to areas where they can live comfortably. Besides it is reasonable to assume that the part of the world where they live in has very warm coastal regions since it’s a desert. I imagine it being like the coastal regions of the Middle East or the northern coast of Africa; as far as climate (as in hot, but tolerable).

idksocrates
2005-11-14, 11:14 PM
my only quirck about the race is the +2 str/ -2 dex. In all other instances, str is regarded as the most valuable statistic in the block, and often requires a greater sacrifice.

Now, if you run a group that is not battle-oriented, as in battling is often only what you do half the time, I don't see a problem, but dnd tends to be combat oriented, and so the bonus is overpowered.

In other words, if your not looking for Darkvision, there is no reason to go for Half-orc over Dwarf except for personal sensibilities.

AtomicKitKat
2005-11-15, 02:37 AM
Actually, 1 point of Strength is considered worth 2 points of mental statistics(Int/Wis/Cha). Physical for physical is generally regarded as a 1 for 1 trade.Strength determines weight limits, BAB, and a few other things, Dex determines Initiative, Reflex Saves, Dodge AC, BAB with Finesse, and quite a few skills, Con determines Fortitude Saves, HP, previously determined how many times you could die and be raised, etc. Of the mental stats, Int is probably the one most equal to any of the physical stats in utility, as it determines number of skill-points, and quite a few skills, as well as pretty much all Knowledge skills.

SpiderBrigade
2005-11-15, 04:15 PM
I'm really liking these "reinvented core races" threads. If you're making a new setting this kind of thing is vital: otherwise you end up with a complex new history and everything with no explanation for why elves are just like Forgotten Realms elves.

So far we have Attack of the Gnomes and Revenge of the Dwarves. The next thread will be "The Phantom Halfling?"

Seraph
2005-11-15, 04:55 PM
I'm really liking these "reinvented core races" threads. If you're making a new setting this kind of thing is vital: otherwise you end up with a complex new history and everything with no explanation for why elves are just like Forgotten Realms elves.

So far we have Attack of the Gnomes and Revenge of the Dwarves. The next thread will be "The Phantom Halfling?"

"A New Half-Orc", more like.

HempRope
2005-11-15, 07:56 PM
I'm with Rastl. The women should have beards, too.

Better yet, I would like to see all of these dwarves hairless. Hair is a hindrance in the desert and at sea. What if all dwarves keep their facial hair short and shave their heads?

I agree with Atomic that the stats are balanced. If it comes down to it, though, take out the Diplomacy or Appraise bonus for selling items. Though in a game where the Str mod matters that much, there's not likely to be much price variation, as that part of the game tends to be glossed-over by hack-and-slashers.

Spuddly
2005-11-15, 08:05 PM
I'd love to see A New Half-Orc.

DrakeEvancore
2005-11-15, 08:40 PM
I think keeping the Stability racial trait, it's a physical ability, and nothing of there physiology was changed, especially since they do still have a "powerful and stout build"

And maybe a +2 racial bonus to Sense Motive checks while haggling? Knowing when someone is pulling your strings in buying and selling can be very important.

Thomas
2005-11-15, 08:42 PM
Better yet, I would like to see all of these dwarves hairless.

Like... Dark Sun dwarves? ;D

DrakeEvancore
2005-11-15, 08:49 PM
*checks books* Actually you're thinking Muls (half-dwarves)

TheThan
2005-11-15, 08:52 PM
Dwarves have long beards? *Rereads first post*. Oops that’s a mistake I thought I fixed. I’ll edit it. They are supposed to have neatly trimmed beards and short hair (at least for the guys).
I figured the ability adjustments were balanced anyway but I thought I would run it by you.

i have decided to extend these from a 3 part series to a six part series: here they are in no particular order. I’ll post them as soon as I finish them. :D

The phantom Elf
Attack of the Gnomes
Revenge of the Dwarves
A new Half Orc
The Halfing Strikes Back
Return of the Half Elf

DrakeEvancore
2005-11-15, 09:00 PM
I'll have to find the first in the series and check it out. So far pretty interesting.

Thomas
2005-11-15, 09:37 PM
*checks books* Actually you're thinking Muls (half-dwarves)

Nope, I'm not. ;) The muls get their hairlessness from their dwarven parent (along with their hardiness and big bones; they get height and agility from the human parent).

DrakeEvancore
2005-11-15, 09:58 PM
*checks once again* it states the male at least beards, which doesn't technically qualify as hair, but as facial hair. It does not specify they're bald though. But it also doesn't state that Muls are bald either strange.....weird where did I read that....I apologize, for lack of evidence, you are correct.

So times I wish my mind didn't muddle things, so. :-/

Jestir256
2005-11-15, 10:10 PM
I'm for a compromise on the she-dwarf facial hair issue, which comes to me courtesy of the Weiss/Hickman Death Gate books: Female dwarves have facial hair, but not beards. On their upper lips, they have fine, long whiskers, which they comb, braid, style, or bead much as a human woman might her hair.

You could also partially dodge the issue with the Tolkien solution, which is that for every dwarf woman there are two dwarf men. Dwarves are much more interested in works of craft than family-raising, but they live long and are hard to kill, so their population balances.

Thomas
2005-11-15, 10:16 PM
*checks once again* it states the male at least beards, which doesn't technically qualify as hair, but as facial hair. It does not specify they're bald though. But it also doesn't state that Muls are bald either strange.....weird where did I read that....I apologize, for lack of evidence, you are correct.

So times I wish my mind didn't muddle things, so. :-/

I'm going to have to concede to a draw here.

My AD&D Dark Sun books nowhere actually state dwarves are hairless. Troy Denning's Prism Pentad (AD&D Dark Sun) novels do, and all the pictures of the dwarves in my books show them as entirely hairless and beardless, but it's not conclusive evidence.

DrakeEvancore
2005-11-15, 10:31 PM
Lol. Oh well, no one wins, but that's fine. ;)

Democratus
2005-11-16, 09:59 AM
I thought the reason dwarves didn't like water is that they sink like rocks.

Redeagle
2005-11-17, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the posts everyone.

First off the ability to wear heavy armor is supposed to reflect their powerful and stout build. Also who would wear heavy armor all the time anyway? I certainly wouldn’t.

Most of the time dwarves HATE traveling by sea. I guess its because they (usually) live underground. But since mine don’t live underground; I decided that they should have no particular fear or hatred of the sea, but neither do they have an affinity for it. I said nothing about them being excellent sailors.

As so far as them living along the coast, it only makes sense that a vast portion of any desert population is going to migrate to areas where they can live comfortably. Besides it is reasonable to assume that the part of the world where they live in has very warm coastal regions since it’s a desert. I imagine it being like the coastal regions of the Middle East or the northern coast of Africa; as far as climate (as in hot, but tolerable).

Actully, the real reason Dwarves are shown as not likeing sea travel has to do with Body Density. At 2+ feet shorter than humans, but wider ans just as heavy, Dwarves would be denser than water (Humans are just barely less than) and thus, even with full lungs, a Dwarf will sink like a stone.
Seamanship does not come easily to those who can not swim or float.

Edt; Umm.. I should read the whole thread before repling, to note if others have the same answer.

bosssmiley
2005-11-17, 10:23 PM
Seamanship does not come easily to those who can not swim or float.

You'd be surprised, a lot of sail-era seamen considered it bad luck to be able to swim; it was seen as tempting fate.

A race of dense bodied dwarves would probably build ships as stable as themselves (catamarans or outrigger vessels) to ensure they stayed out of the water in the first place.

Democratus
2005-11-18, 09:32 AM
You'd be surprised, a lot of sail-era seamen considered it bad luck to be able to swim; it was seen as tempting fate.

There's quite a difference between considering falling into the water bad luck and sinking to the bottom as fast as an anchor.

During the age of sail, most people fell into the water at least once in their careers. Many were rescued even if they couldn't swim because of a line thrown out to them. A dwarf would hardly make a splash as his body raced to the briny deep! :o

bosssmiley
2005-11-18, 12:55 PM
Dwarven high body density makes me think in terms of work-arounds the crafty little devils will have invented. Cork life-preservers (hot, heavy & awkward if worn all the time), rigging monkeys (find a Dwarf climbing the rigging? How undignified!) and shoulder-high gunwhales with lockable gates in them.

A dwarven god of the sea would probably be represented as some kind of all-devouring sucking black maw, to be propitiated with the sacrifice of cargo and valuables before each voyage.

What at first appears to be illogical theory-saving rapidly becomes exotic background colour :)

TheThan
2005-11-18, 02:16 PM
the dwarven sea god is great!!

im so going to use it. ;)

Alchemistmerlin
2006-01-12, 01:59 PM
Yer takin' th' beards away from our ladies? What's next, yer goin' t' be tackin' th' beer from our taverns?!

;D

Meh. Where's the fun in that?

*co-off topic* I know you from Delving ;D You might know me as Agantyr_Dankil there.

Did I just cast True Resurrection on this thread? I hope not.

Democratus
2006-01-12, 02:37 PM
Did I just cast True Resurrection on this thread? I hope not.

Yep. Ye sure did. So be careful...and check for any new posting rules to be certain that you don't violate any. :)

From the posting rules:

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from “the dead.” If a thread has fallen to page three and hasn’t been posted in for a month and a half, don’t post in it. Start a new topic if you want to discuss the subject.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-01-12, 02:38 PM
Ah crud. The guy who made it linked it from elsewhere, and I didn't bother to check how long it had been gone before commenting. :'(