PDA

View Full Version : New Race: Aeroki (PEACH)

starwoof
2006-04-04, 02:38 AM
Aeroki
Aeroki are aerial people hailing from the central jungles of Elfreach and the northern jungles of Argyle. They have flown the skies of the world for millennia, trading their exotic goods with the elves and halflings. Aeroki merchants have even been seen as far south as Arvandor.

Physical Description
Aeroki have the heads of snakes, the wings and tail feathers of parrots, and the bodies of humans. Green scales cover their snake heads, shoulders, and over arms and legs. Their wings have feathers of red and green, with their tail feathers matching and extending several feet. They have small claws on their hands and feet, but are made from strong cartilage and are useless as weapons. Their eyes are yellow with narrow pupils and, unlike snakes, they have eyelids.

Personality, Culture, and Relations
While not overly violent, Aeroki are aggressive in all that they do. Aeroki dislike deception and pointless frivolities, preferring to get straight to the point. Aeroki tend to be trusting of Light Elves, Halflings, and Dorzun, but assume deception of Dwarves, Giants, and Humans. Aeroki despise Yuan-Ti, as most people assume the Aeroki to be Yuan-Ti themselves and try to destroy them. When an Aeroki knows that Yuan-Ti are in the area, he will attempt to destroy them, usually gathering adventurers, local military, and other Aeroki to their cause.

Aeroki have only one permanent city, which is known as Eternal Summer. This is where the lord of their race, the High-Chief lives. The current High-Chief is Aarokl, who gained the position in mortal combat with the former chief, Icara. Either gender is permitted to be a chieftan of a tribe or high chief. Eternal Summer is a city high in the great tropical canopy, safe from most humanoid attackers. Its exact location is difficult to locate on a map.

Aeroki in their native jungles prefer nudity or loose clothing. Loose tunics crafted of silk and leave are favored by both genders, and pants are nearly unheard of. When traveling abroad Aeroki tend to bundle up in heavier clothing purchased from other races.

In battle, Aeroki prefer spears, with which they can perform vicious dive bombs on land bound foes. They prefer attack rather than defense, and often split their forces into several small groups to harass their foes. Slings are popular for ranged attacks. Aeroki camps have roving scout bands that protect them from giant spiders, living plants, and other jungle dangers.

Religion
Aeroki have no gods of their own, but often worship Fharlangn, god of roads and travel, or pay homage to air elemental lords.

+2 dex, -2 wis. Aeroki are aggressive and usually fail to think things through.
Medium Size
30 ft movement
Humanoid [Aeroki]
-2 bluff and diplomacy
Gliding (Ex): An aeroki can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Aeroki glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if an aeroki's maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. An aeroki can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If an aeroki becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The aeroki descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
Flight (Ex): When an aeroki reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). An aeroki can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Aeroki can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. Aeroki are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because aeroki can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).

When they reach 10 Hit Dice, aeroki have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. An aeroki with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the aeroki must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A raptoran can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. An aeroki with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
Cold Vulnerability – Aeroki take –2 penalties on all saves against cold effects and conditions.
Aeroki ignore fatigue and subdual damage from heat conditions.
Favored Class – Scout
Automatic Languages: Common, Aeroki. Bonus Languages: Elven, Auran, Halfling
LA: +0

Since this is one of my creations, Im going to go out on a limb here and assume that its underpowered. Im not too sure what raptoran flight is, I mostly just skimmed it when I read the raptoran entry in my friends Masters of the Wild. They replace Raptoran in my campaign setting, just so you know.

So, criticise away!

bosssmiley
2006-04-04, 04:32 AM
Starwoof. Cool take on Couatl-people. I like :D

Raptoran flight is weird in that it's more gliding and soaring than true flight. The race starts out able to glide, then at 5th level they can fly for a limited time/day (gliding indefinitely though), then at 10th level they can fly indefinitely. I suppose it was a way of keeping them LA+0...

You might want to give them some racial skill bonuses as they currently look a teeny bit underpowered. Maybe bonuses to Concentration (cold-blooded reptilian calm) and Survival (jungle scouts)?

Oh thing that made me chuckle "...jungles of northern Argyle". ;D

Rei_Jin
2006-04-04, 04:40 AM
I'd say that they are fairly well balanced, about the only thing I would do is give them some bonus in warm climates to offset their cold penalty.

Maybe Fire Resistance 5? Or the ability to ignore fatigue from heat conditions, and subdual damage from heat conditions?

starwoof
2006-04-04, 06:08 PM
Resistance to weather conditions isnt incredily uncommon in my campaign world, and it is incredibly useful. Therefore, resisitant to the hot jungles. Theres somewhere on the wizards site that has stats for raptoran, I wonder if I can find it. Then I can just copy+paste, which makes my life easier.

Oh thing that made me chuckle "...jungles of northern Argyle". ;D

Is it because I named a continent after a sweater? ;D

axraelshelm
2006-04-04, 06:13 PM
Argyle? your joking?!? thats my football ground in plymouth england!!!

starwoof
2006-04-04, 08:16 PM
"Oh no, argyle ninja!"

Aha, I knew it. Wizards does indeed have the entire raptoran online. The flight and gliding ability is word for word except replacing raptoran with aeroki and to update the grammar because of it.

Now they seem to be balanced to me. Now I officially add them to the ranks of my brainspawn.