Amiel
2009-06-11, 12:05 AM
Gordon Freeman (Half-Life, Half-Life 2)

"Man of few words, aren't you?"
-- Alyx Vance

Medium Humanoid (Human)
"The One Free Man"
Wounds: 12 WP, 70 VP (12d8+12)
Initiative: +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft.
Defense Bonus: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 Class), touch 14, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+13
Attack: Crowbar +12 melee (1d6+1); H&K USP Match +14 ranged (2d6); Magnum +14 ranged (2d8); SPAS-12 +14 ranged (2d10); H&K MP7 +14 ranged (2d6); Crossbow +14 ranged (2d12); RPG +14 ranged (10d6); Pulse Rifle +14 ranged (2d10)
Full Attack: Crowbar +12/+7/+2 melee (1d6+1); H&K USP Match +14/+9/+4 ranged (2d6); Magnum +14/+9/+4 ranged (2d8); SPAS-12 +14/+9/+4 ranged (2d10); H&K MP7 +14/+9/+4 ranged (2d6); Crossbow +14/+9/+4 ranged (2d12); RPG +14/+9/+4 ranged (10d6); Pulse Rifle +14/+9/+4 ranged (2d10)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: The Free Man, MIT Graduate, resistance to cold 5, resistance to fire 5, Silent Protagonist
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +11
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 18
Skills: Computer Use +12, Craft (electronic) +14, Craft (mechanical) +14, Craft (writing) +12, Diplomacy +10, Knowledge (behavioral sciences) +10, Knowledge (current events) +6, Knowledge (earth and life sciences) +10, Knowledge (physical sciences) +15, Listen +8, Profession (PhD professor) +12, Research +14, Search +8, Spot +8
Feats: Advanced Firearms Proficiency, Burst Fire, Creative, Dead Aim B, Double Tap, Educated, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Improved Initiative, Leadership B, Point Blank Shot, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Run B, Strafe, Studious, Surface Vehicle Operation, Weapon Proficiency (crowbar)
Climate/Terrain: Black Mesa, Earth or City-17, Earth
Organization: Solitary (unique); or pair (with Alyx Vance); or pair (With Barney Calhourn); or cohort (with five Freedom fighters)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: H.E.V-Mark V
Alignment: Neutral Good

The Free-Man (Ex): Gordon Freeman, Doctor, is looked upon and up to as a savior figure, and already has a legendary reputation among Earth's surviving human populace. He is known by such messanic titles as "The One Free-Man." Gordon Freeman possesses the following attributes:

Good Will and Reflex saves
Good Base Attack Bonus Progression
Bonus feats as a Fighter of his HD
8+Int mod skill points per level
Leadership as a bonus feat, though Gordon may only command a maximum of six followers.

MIT Graduate (Ex): Gordon is an MIT Graduate, though this continues to be a point of contention. Arguably the most scientific thing Gordon has ever done is push a button.

Silent Protagonist (Ex): Gordon seems to be wholly incapable of speech, adamant in his refusal to give a reply. This has several advantages, Gordon is not affected by any mind-influencing effects. Though he takes normal damage from severe aural effects.

H.E.V-Mark V: Gordon wears a special full-body hazard suit, known as the H.E.V. suit; H.E.V. standing for Hazardous EnVironment. Designed to protect the user from radiation, energy discharges, and blunt trauma during the handling of hazardous materials, the HEV suit is what allows Gordon, an ordinary human being, to survive the dangers and injuries he faces over the course of his struggles.

The suit provides the following benefits:

When the suit is charged at 100 or full power, it provides the equivalent of heavy armor and the Armor Proficiency (Heavy) feat. When the suit is at 50 energy capacity, the suit provides the equivalent of medium armor and the Armor Proficiency (Medium) feat. When the suit is at 25 energy levels, the suit provides the equivalent of light armor and the Armor Proficiency (Light) feat.

The suit contains an on-board computer system that constantly monitors the user's health and vital signs, and reacts to any changes in the user's condition. The H.E.V is capable of administering morphine in the form of a cure light wounds spell. It may also administer the equivalent of a anti-toxin spell. The user will still die from massive damage.

The wearer is protected to a limited degree from the effects of radiation, extreme heat and extreme cold. The user has resistance to cold 5 and resistance to fire 5.

When charged, the user of the H.E.V may use Run as the feat or the use of Dead Aim at any time.

Harperfan7
2009-06-11, 11:54 AM
umm, higher str and dex, lower charisma (but not low).

Ever notice how fast he swings that heavy ass crowbar?

Ever notice how freaking fast he runs (especially in the first one) and how fast he can change direction? Also, the booklet mentions that he is wiry and athletic.

Otherwise, this is awesome and I'm glad I finally got to see him in stats.

Amiel
2009-06-12, 06:53 AM
I agree that he is 'wiry and athletic,' although I feel that a representation of such by a Str and Dex of 13 is within the definition; we have both Drizzt and Artemis, who are described as deceptively strong, with Str 13 and 14 respectively.
Incidently, regarding his charisma, he was followed, willingly and blindly by the resistance fighters. His true force of personality is implied rather than implicit, for a silent protagonist isn't exactly inducive to such a portrayal.

I would argue that his fast swings of the crowbar, his speed, his dexterity and his quick directional changes are functionalities of his suit rather than his physical person; realistically, these appear to be the products of the computer game world itself, no one can change direction the way Gordon Freeman does, it'd mean one has to twist their torso by a complete 90 degrees.

And thanks! Glad you liked and enjoyed this write-up of him :)

readsaboutd&d
2009-06-12, 10:34 AM
You forgot the grabbity gun, reducing the suits energy, limited amounts of the spells (otherwise he could "heal light wounds himself to full health) and the guns are slightly...basic:smallannoyed:.

readsaboutd&d
2009-06-12, 10:36 AM
You forgot the grabbity gun, reducing the suits energy, limited amounts of the spells (otherwise he could "heal light wounds himself to full health) and the guns are slightly...basic:smallannoyed:. And he only gets one advantage from not speaking (also I think it should not be separated in two phrases).

Amiel
2009-06-22, 08:14 AM
You forgot the grabbity gun, reducing the suits energy, limited amounts of the spells (otherwise he could "heal light wounds himself to full health) and the guns are slightly...basic:smallannoyed:.

Well, this is one of my older works, so the lack of gravity gun might be an oversight.
The mechanics for a gravity gun seem to be somewhat complicated. The only analogous method is to build a weapon that is able to shoot the telekinesis spell at will. Give me a few to tinker with something.

The energy levels of the suit coupled with the corresponding feats it provides was a way of trying to replicate what actually happens in-game when the protagonist has a suit charged to that amount.
The suit does provide as much protection as the feats given and the protection level drops as the power level diminishes. Be sure to play the game for the in-game reason.

He only gets once instance of the cure light wounds spell and that is as Gordon is about to die from massive death incurred through(out) the 'campaign.'

The guns are basic as they are normal, everyday guns. I think embellishment is not required as they are not unique personal or personalised weapons, nor are they overly exotic. If you wish to know more about them, be sure to check out the d20 modern SRD; you can find it on google.

And he only gets one advantage from not speaking (also I think it should not be separated in two phrases).

No, he gains several advantages. Mind-affecting/mind-influencing effects break down into several subcategories as follows.

mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)

And this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-on_sentence) is the reason why it should be separated into two sentences.

Diagoras
2009-06-22, 10:14 AM
This is awesome. Nice work.

Makes me want to run a Half-life game, actually.

Amiel
2009-06-23, 08:28 PM
Thank you kindly, mate! Glad you liked and enjoyed this build of him. :)

Incidently, who else would you like to see?
If I get the chance, I'll try to build stats for Alyx, Doctor Breen, Barney, Dog...the G-Man (say it isn't so!) among others.

And running a d20 Half-Life game? that would be all kinds of awesome.
I'll also add to this here thread and introduce additional rules so one may DM/run a game within the Half-Life universe, whether that involves escaping from Black Mesa or saving City-17 and Earth.

Actually, how would this sound? d20 Ravenholm! Madness?...This. Is. Ravenholm!

BarroomBard
2009-06-24, 06:03 PM
...reducing the suits energy...

He meant, I think, that you forgot to include rules on how the suit loses or gains energy.

Also, there are different kinds of heavy, medium, and light armors. Saying it provides the equivalent of these types of armor is thus relatively meaningless.

That being said... HEAD CRABS!!!!

BRC
2009-06-24, 06:07 PM
Actually, how would this sound? d20 Ravenholm! Madness?...This. Is. Ravenholm!
If you do that, you MUST stat out Father Grigori . In fact, you should stat out Grigori anyway.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-24, 06:22 PM
the G-Man

How do you have stats for something that does nothing?

You might want to note that Gordon's suit has an on board zoom feature and probably give him the benefit of a scope at all times.

BRC
2009-06-24, 06:23 PM

You might want to note that Gordon's suit has an on board zoom feature and probably give him the benefit of a scope at all times.
The G-Man, DC 80 Will save vs being extremely unsettled and creeped out.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-25, 12:26 AM
The G-Man, DC 80 Will save vs being extremely unsettled and creeped out.

DC 100 or be involuentarily teleported ahead just the right amount to further the plot, with no recollection of what happened in the meantime. :smalltongue:

Amiel
2009-07-02, 10:13 PM
He meant, I think, that you forgot to include rules on how the suit loses or gains energy.

Also, there are different kinds of heavy, medium, and light armors. Saying it provides the equivalent of these types of armor is thus relatively meaningless.

As Half-Life is a self-contained universe wherein spells are non-existent, although psionics do seem to exist, damage from various physical sources will reduce the suit's energy by the amount dealt. Essentially, it acts a buffer. It insulates Gordon Freeman from damage by the appreciable amount until the suit's energy is completely drained, where it then deals direct damage to his hit points.
Power stations in turn will increase the energy of the suit.

I'll work that in to his write-up.
Yeah, I blame the ungodly hour.

It's true that there are different kinds of armor types, but that was also kinda the underlying intent, the DM can pick and choose which armor best suits the campaign and/or scenario in question; I didn't want to needlessly dictate to the DM what he can or can't use.

That being said... HEAD CRABS!!!!

Here be Head Crabs!! *insert head crab biggrin emoticon*
Going on my to-do-list.

If you do that, you MUST stat out Father Grigori . In fact, you should stat out Grigori anyway.

Definitely going to happen. Grigori was an awesome character (or was he...), and I need to find a way to work in the angelic references and his disturbing voyeuristic inclinations.

He presents free-choice as an arbitrary construct, can stop time, traverse the portals of reality, can contain Gordon in stasis and can dance like he means it. Other than that I got nothing :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, around the interwebs floats the mechanics for the Lady of Pain...which I intend to use as inspiration.

'Kay, Ill work that in to his suit features.

The G-Man, DC 80 Will save vs being extremely unsettled and creeped out.DC 100 or be involuentarily teleported ahead just the right amount to further the plot, with no recollection of what happened in the meantime. :smalltongue:

Gor-don Free-man I presssume, you mussst be missss-ta-ken. I have no idea. Whooo the Men-In-Black are. When I plucked you from Black Mesa, I-I-I-I had noooo idea of the messsss you would causssse. I musssst confess. My em-ploy-ersss asssked me. To redressss the sssit-uation. When direct interference. Was out of the quessstion. Hmm. Ssso sssory Mister Freeman, time to sssleep again. Don't let. The bed bugss bite.

chiasaur11
2009-07-02, 10:21 PM
Stats for Gordon Frohman would be appreciated.

And D0g. Everyone loves D0g.

Amiel
2009-07-04, 09:28 AM
Stats for Gordon Frohman would be appreciated.

Oh hoh. This gives me another reason to re-re-read the Concerned webcomics :smallbiggrin:

Definitely going to happen...and I'll try to build him in a way that do the comics justice.

And D0g. Everyone loves D0g.
They sure do!

A discussion on his strength though...what score would you see as reasonable (bearing in mind that he threw dumpsters in combat and trashed those gunner ships by him(it)self)? 40 perhaps; lower - 30s (kinda leaning towards these figures) or higher - 40s (may be an exaggeration)?

Revanmal
2009-07-04, 12:52 PM
D0g DID lift that combine wall section to get Gordon into the Citadel. If that thing were solid metal, it'd have to weigh several hundred tons. It's several stories high, about 5-10 feet wide, and about as thick as a person if I'm not mistaken.

Amiel
2009-07-05, 10:09 AM
Would you see him (really it but I digress) as having a strength on par with a pit fiend 37 or thereabouts or wyrm or great wyrm red dragon 41 or thereabouts or would you see him as having a different strength score?

I would actually argue that the section of the metal wall he lifted was actually just that, a section only. Since the other parts of the wall didn't experience any upward movement or momentum, it may be inferred that he didn't really actually lift several hundred tons but rather a few thousand kilograms or tons that didn't exceed single digit figures.

If we calculate that a Str 18, equivalent to a medal winning Olympic weightlifter, can lift 200 - 300 kg give or take, a Str 37 will only always exceed that by an exponential amount.