PDA

View Full Version : I can swing skyscrapers like swords!

strawberryman
2009-06-11, 12:16 AM
So, I had this random inclination to find out all the kinds of stuff that can be dug up on wielding weapons that are of a larger size than the character (We'll assume Medium-sized). It's always been an entertaining concept to me.

I already know about the essential Monkey Grip and the epic version in Wield Oversized Weapon, but I'm curious as to any other feats, PrCs, or anything else other people have come across based on this premise.

RTGoodman
2009-06-11, 12:19 AM
Read the Titan Bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm) from Unearthed Arcana or the SRD.

It gives you, by RAW, the Titan's Oversized Weapon ability which reads, "A titan wields a great, two-handed warhammer (big enough for Gargantuan creatures) without penalty."

So basically, no matter what size you are, you can swing around a two-handed warhammer that's like 20 feet long. (You don't get reach, though... :smallfrown:)

EDIT: Also, Goliaths (RoS) and Half-Giants (XPH) have the Powerful Build ability, but that only gets you a weapon one size bigger than you actually are. Strongarm Bracers from the MIC do the same thing, I believe.

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-11, 12:38 AM
There's also the shillelagh spell; it doesn't actually let you wield a bigger weapon, but you can wield your quarterstaff/club as if it was bigger.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-11, 01:19 AM
Magic of Faerun I think it is... Certain materials you can make your weapon out of increase the damage dice as if it was a size larger. Gold I believe is one of them.
Greatsword: 2d6
Large Greatsword: 3d6?
Golden Large Greatsword: 4d6

And for bonus points, you've blinged your weapon, Army of Two style.

edit: Magic of Faerun is a 3.0 book, and might not be valid for this... According to MoF, a gold weapon is 'heavy' and requires an EWP to use properly. Can bypass the EWP by wielding a longsword for instance in 2 hands. And only works on weapons made largely of metal.

Worira
2009-06-11, 01:49 AM
The Sun Blade is the size of a bastard sword, but wielded like a short sword. If you could somehow get your hands one one sized for a Gargantuan creature and used Monkey Grip, or had powerful build, you would effectively be wielding a Gargantuan bastard sword. You'd take a -4 penalty on attacks, or -6 with Monkey Grip, but you'd be doing 4d8 damage.

EDIT: And, for what it's worth, it would be about 30 feet long. Although it would still only have 5 foot reach.

BobVosh
2009-06-11, 02:00 AM
awwww I was hoping for skyscraper-chucks

Teln
2009-06-11, 09:44 AM
EDIT: And, for what it's worth, it would be about 30 feet long. Although it would still only have 5 foot reach.

How the hell does that work?!?

woodenbandman
2009-06-11, 10:17 AM
I've also wanted to create a character that can wield a boat anchor like a Kusari-Gama. For some perspective, the main anchor on the titanic weighed 16 tons. An old style anchor for, like, a trade ship was probably only 3 tons or so.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-11, 10:23 AM

I can see that, you hold it at the bottem and balance it almost straight up like a sealion with a ball and sort of nudge people with the bottem of it.... :smallfrown:

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-11, 10:24 AM

Reach is determined by your size, not your weapon's size.

Guess they took the saying to heart: It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean.

Tengu_temp
2009-06-11, 10:27 AM
I've also wanted to create a character that can wield a boat anchor like a Kusari-Gama. For some perspective, the main anchor on the titanic weighed 16 tons. An old style anchor for, like, a trade ship was probably only 3 tons or so.

Is a mace close enough?
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Spiritgx/renders/may-guilty-gear.gif

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-06-11, 12:36 PM
Maybe not what you are looking for, but this here homebrewed PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88932) revolves entirely around wielding ludicrously large swords.

Gerbah
2009-06-11, 08:16 PM
Ooh! You can also make the weapon a Balanced Weapon (Arms & Equipment I believe), which lets you wield a larger version of it without penalty if memory serves.

shadow_archmagi
2009-06-11, 09:15 PM
Hmm, perhaps some kind of Hulking Hurler, Drunken Master, and War Hulk?

deuxhero
2009-06-11, 09:26 PM
some pair of bracers gave you the ability to wield weapons 1 size higher than normal, don't remeber where though.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-11, 11:40 PM
Is a mace close enough?
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Spiritgx/renders/may-guilty-gear.gif

Nope. Nowhere near enough.

http://kokuun.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/negima-202.jpg

May has nothing on Jack Rakkan. (http://media.photobucket.com/image/jack%20rakkan/darksaber999/Jack_Rakan.jpg)

Gaiyamato
2009-06-12, 12:11 AM
Trait Gigantism from netbook makes you one size bigger.

Take an Ogre with Gigantism trait and your now huge sized and can wield weapons one size larger (gigantic). There is also a template (cannot remember the name or book, but it is 3.0 WoTC) that you can add (+2 LA) which reads "you may wield a weapon once size larger than you are currently able to".

So what size up is there from the max size? Skyscrapers, thats what.

Not available at level 1 unfortunately.

Not entirely WoTC legit, but it is RAW in a broader sense.

Tengu_temp
2009-06-12, 12:16 AM
Nope. Nowhere near enough.

<picture>

May has nothing on Jack Rakkan. (http://media.photobucket.com/image/jack%20rakkan/darksaber999/Jack_Rakan.jpg)

And suddenly, I can't get rid of the feeling that Mahou Sensei Negima would make a good Exalted game.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-12, 12:21 AM
A Half-Giant or Goliath psion or psy-warrior with Expansion augmented to 7 counts as Gargantuan for wielding weapons. A human with Enlarge Person, Expansion augmented to 7 PP and Monkey Grip can wield Colossal weapons. But that second one only works with no magic/psionics transparency.

Failing that, a ogre(large) psy-warrior with Expansion augmented to 7 pp(large->huge->Gargantuan) can Monkey Grip a Colossal Weapon legitimately.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-12, 12:23 AM
And suddenly, I can't get rid of the feeling that Mahou Sensei Negima would make a good Exalted game.

Heh, I'm working on converting their spellcasting into d20 myself. The rest of it is a pain in the nads, but the spells they have are very useful for DnD characters.

Jack would make an excellent Exalted character. He's over-the-top enough for damn near anything.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-12, 12:25 AM
Failing that, a ogre(large) psy-warrior with Expansion augmented to 7 pp(large->huge->Gargantuan) can Monkey Grip a Colossal Weapon legitimately.

If they gigantism trait is allowed that lets you go beyond colossal. fun fun.

New party member: So what weapon do you each wield?
Rogue: A set of shiny daggers.
New Party member: Cool. :)
Wizard: A quarterstaff
New Party member: Meh.
Fighter: My Greatsword.
New Party member: Awesome.
Psy-warrior: An energy mountain that deals almost infinite crushing damage.
New Party member: WTF?
DM: You cannot complain Pun-Pun.
New Party member: *sheepish*

Random NPC
2009-06-12, 12:37 AM

So, a 50 feet tall Greatsword when fully expanded. That's big.

Can we make it bigger :smallbiggrin:

Gaiyamato
2009-06-12, 12:50 AM
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Fullblade

Expand that to Collosal. :P

Page 7 Arms and Equipment.

It is huge sized, but can be swung by a medium creature with only a single feat.
So if you presume that it is simply an exotic medium weapon then you can enlarge it to collosal.

The fluff says it is 18 inches longer than a greatsword.

tyckspoon
2009-06-12, 12:55 AM
A Half-Giant or Goliath psion or psy-warrior with Expansion augmented to 7 counts as Gargantuan for wielding weapons. A human with Enlarge Person, Expansion augmented to 7 PP and Monkey Grip can wield Colossal weapons. But that second one only works with no magic/psionics transparency.

It just doesn't work at all- Enlarge Person specifies magical effects, but Expansion just says "multiple size increasing effects" without discrimination as to whether they are magical or psionic (or arguably even mundane- if you had an (ex) ability to increase your size, like maybe the Goliath Barbarian substitution level, the strictest way to interpret Expansion would mean those wouldn't stack.)

Ravens_cry
2009-06-12, 01:08 AM
A thought.
Wouldn't it be like swinging skyscrapers like clubs or other bludgeoning weapons?
Just a thought.

Ganurath
2009-06-12, 01:20 AM
A thought.
Wouldn't it be like swinging skyscrapers like clubs or other bludgeoning weapons?
Just a thought.Not if you swing them at a diagonal, so that it's a corner arcing toward your opponent rather than a side.

As for my contribution: A cleric with the Strength Domain and PHBII's Spontaneous Domain Casting with Monkey Grip and EWP (Fullblade) carries a Sizing Balanced Fullblade into battle. Enlarge Person makes the cleric one size category larger, Monkey Grip lets the cleric wield two size categories larger, Balanced lets the size grow three size categories larger thanks to the Sizing enchantment, and if the cleric's race has Powerful Build, then look out!

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-12, 01:22 AM
Not if you swing them at a diagonal, so that it's a corner arcing toward your opponent rather than a side.

As for my contribution: A cleric with the Strength Domain and PHBII's Spontaneous Domain Casting with Monkey Grip and EWP (Fullblade) carries a Sizing Balanced Fullblade into battle. Enlarge Person makes the cleric one size category larger, Monkey Grip lets the cleric wield two size categories larger, Balanced lets the size grow three size categories larger thanks to the Sizing enchantment, and if the cleric's race has Powerful Build, then look out!Powerful Build and Monkey Grip DO NOT STACK!

Ganurath
2009-06-12, 01:24 AM
Powerful Build and Monkey Grip DO NOT STACK!Still, you have a Gargantuan Fullblade.

Keld Denar
2009-06-12, 01:33 AM

Monkey Grip is actually crappy for this exercise. Instead of being smart and saying "one side larger" it says "large". Therefore, if you are large or larger, Monkey Grip does absolutely jack for you, since you CAN already wield large weapons.

Also, as far as stacking size increases...I believe there was a Sage ruling that stated that size increases never stack. Thus, if you polymorph into something large, you couldn't further enlarge yourself with mage or psionics, and Enlarge Person wouldn't stack with Expansion or Righteous Might, etc.

Ganurath
2009-06-12, 01:37 AM
Also, as far as stacking size increases...I believe there was a Sage ruling that stated that size increases never stack. Thus, if you polymorph into something large, you couldn't further enlarge yourself with mage or psionics, and Enlarge Person wouldn't stack with Expansion or Righteous Might, etc.Enlarge Person cast by a Goliath makes them Large, and able to wield a size category larger at Huge. Balanced lets one wield the weapon as though it were a size category smaller, so the weapon can be Gargantuan, and Sizing changes the weapon to whatever size you want. With a single proficiency feat and a properly enchanted weapon, you too can have a Gargantuan Fullblade.

Keld Denar
2009-06-12, 01:58 AM
Funny story. Goliaths aren't actually "people". They are Monstrous Humanoids (which is wierd, since they should be Giants). As Monstrous Humanoids, rather than just plain Humanoids, they are not subject to spells that affect a "person" (Charm Person, Hold Person, enlarge Person).

So, no Enlarging a Goliath, though Expansion DOES work.

Darrin
2009-06-12, 10:42 AM
Funny story. Goliaths aren't actually "people". They are Monstrous Humanoids (which is wierd, since they should be Giants). As Monstrous Humanoids, rather than just plain Humanoids, they are not subject to spells that affect a "person" (Charm Person, Hold Person, enlarge Person).

So, no Enlarging a Goliath, though Expansion DOES work.

The Human Heritage feat (RoD) should be able to fix that. If not, then it should work for Half-giants.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-12, 08:34 PM
Enlarge Person cast by a Goliath makes them Large, and able to wield a size category larger at Huge. Balanced lets one wield the weapon as though it were a size category smaller, so the weapon can be Gargantuan, and Sizing changes the weapon to whatever size you want. With a single proficiency feat and a properly enchanted weapon, you too can have a Gargantuan Fullblade.

Is 'balanced' a weapon enhancement in the MiC? Or is it in a third party source?

deuxhero
2009-06-13, 12:09 AM
I don't know, but I know full blades (I think balance as well) were 3.0 and part of the different size system used in it (compared to 3.5) and are incompatible with 3.5.

Ganurath
2009-06-13, 12:17 AM
Is 'balanced' a weapon enhancement in the MiC? Or is it in a third party source?Arms & Equipment... Not sure if it carried over from 3.0, actually.