PDA

View Full Version : Confused about CR of Worm That Walks

Stormthorn
2009-06-11, 12:22 AM
I wanted to include one in a game, but the WTW only has a +3 CR for a being that can do 100 points of damage in a single attack and gets +20 to AC. So my level 5 WTW is a fight for level 8 characters, but it could one shot all of them? That seems odd.

RTGoodman
2009-06-11, 12:27 AM
Worm That Walks is an Epic template. I'm pretty sure it's only supposed to be used on creatures that are, well, already Epic. The actual template, by RAW, doesn't require it, but I think that's just sloppy editing on WotC's part - WtW characters, for instance, must have access to a whole host of high-level spells and still have a chance of failure, or they can be Epic casters already and cast the gathering of maggots epic spell.

DownwardSpiral
2009-06-11, 12:46 AM
That's kinda funny, I was just looking over the WTW template a day or two ago, and I noticed that it was only +3 CR. Personally? I think it's a mistype.

Even a 21st level sorcerer gains a lot from this. +20 AC? A bunch of spell like abilites?

......Eh, you eyeball CR anyways. =p

EDIT: Oh, and the template requires you to cast an epic spell to gain the template. Unless you feel like risking 1:100 odds.

Dagren
2009-06-11, 12:50 AM
Worm That Walks is an Epic template. I'm pretty sure it's only supposed to be used on creatures that are, well, already Epic. The actual template, by RAW, doesn't require it, but I think that's just sloppy editing on WotC's part - WtW characters, for instance, must have access to a whole host of high-level spells and still have a chance of failure, or they can be Epic casters already and cast the gathering of maggots epic spell.Actually those methods say they are to turn another character. It's not like a lich, you don't make yourself into one. (You could get a friend to do it to you, I suppose)

Worira
2009-06-11, 12:55 AM
Kobold commoner 1 WTW. Cr 1. Your players will love you.

EDIT: Bah, the template can only be applied to wizards and sorcerers.

Stormthorn
2009-07-16, 08:36 PM
Kobold commoner 1 WTW. Cr 1. Your players will love you.

EDIT: Bah, the template can only be applied to wizards and sorcerers.

See thats my thing. If i was level 21 i could use the spell on a buncha level 1 Sorcerer hirelings and have a lot of power over the common folk (or even non-epic heroes) of the world.

wizuriel
2009-07-16, 09:37 PM
call of cthulhu had a lesser version

quick_comment
2009-07-16, 09:40 PM
On the other hand, a 1 HD paragon commoner is expected to fight a level 15 party.

The Glyphstone
2009-07-16, 10:24 PM
EDIT: Oh, and the template requires you to cast an epic spell to gain the template. Unless you feel like risking 1:100 odds.

Actually, a lvl20 sorcerer with full spell slots has a sixty-something percent chance of it going off successfully, if I remember.

Gralamin
2009-07-17, 01:47 AM
Actually, a lvl20 sorcerer with full spell slots has a sixty-something percent chance of it going off successfully, if I remember.

57 Spell-slots are available before bonus spells. A few less if you decide to make sure you come back in 1d4 days. Assuming a Charisma around 29, you have +15, so thats actually a 72% Chance, less anything you do to ensure your survival.