PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Blend

PrGo
2009-06-11, 03:58 AM
I decided to make a Human assassin-to-be with the Shadow Creature template, and one of its abilites confused me.
Here's the full description:
Shadow Blend (Su): In any conditions other than full daylight, a shadow creature can disappear into the shadows, giving it total concealment. Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability, but a daylight spell will.

What does total concealment mean? That he's invisible? Even while holding a torch? Does the fact that only sunlight or the Daylight spell negate it mean that he can be invisible constantly when sun's not around? And what about creatures with Darkvision?
Please clarify :smallconfused:

Farlion
2009-06-11, 04:04 AM
From the D&D Wicki:

Total Concealment
If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight he is considered to have total concealment from you. You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies. A successful attack into a square occupied by an enemy with total concealment has a 50% miss chance (instead of the normal 20% miss chance for an opponent with concealment).

You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies.

Concealment and Hide Checks
You can use concealment to make a Hide check. Without concealment, you usually need cover to make a Hide check.

Cheers,
Farlion

PrGo
2009-06-11, 04:07 AM
I am aware of that, but if he can't see me what's the point of rolling a Hide check?

Farlion
2009-06-11, 04:13 AM
Well, he knows your there, concealment just gives you cover in order to make a hide check. Unless you have hide in plain sight, thats the only possible way to get a hide check.

Your not invisible, your just hidden.

Cheers,
Farlion

sofawall
2009-06-11, 04:16 AM
Kind of a side question, what does hide do, mechanically? Is doesn't give concealment, as you need it to hide, so what does it give? Invisibility?

PrGo
2009-06-11, 04:20 AM
Your not invisible, your just hidden.

But where's the logic in that? If I can blend into the shadows and disappear from your sight entirely, I'm effectively invisible to you. Maybe it is possible to spot someone with total concealment but the hider should have an insane bonus to hide.
Invisibility grants total concealment too and it effectively gives a bonus of +40 to hide when stationary and +20 when mobile. Should that apply to Shadow blend too?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-11, 04:49 AM
Let's say you have total concealment. Opponents don't have line of sight to you, but they do know what square you're standing in if they make a Spot check vs your Hide check. You cannot be the target of spells unless they require an attack roll; ranged and melee touch spells and AoEs can target your square, in which case there will be a 50% miss chance if there is an attack roll involved. If you move to another square, anyone who makes a Spot check vs your Hide check automatically knows what square you moved to. If they fail their spot check vs your hide check, they have no idea where you went and will likely swing at the wrong square, thus wasting their attacks. If you've been attacking then you must follow the sniping rules described under the hide skill, which is basically a -20 to hide checks for a round after attacking.

It is extremely useful, though you probably don't need to worry about trying to hide during combat. Most characters rely on poor illumination to hide, but you won't have concealment relative to monsters with low-light vision or darkvision and thus you'll automatically fail your hide check vs their spot check. With Shadow Blend this is not an issue, so you can easily sneak around to flank opponents or even sneak away if you're losing the fight.

PrGo
2009-06-11, 05:10 AM
Ah! Thank you! You explained it all perfectly. :smallbiggrin: