PDA

View Full Version : The Elemental Plane of Plants!

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-11, 09:17 AM
I created, as promised, an opposite to the Elemental Plane of Flesh (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3040009#post3040009).

Premise
It is an infinite plant.

It is a tree all gods, times a million, plus all other living creatures, times a billion, could enjoy the shade of.

The mysterious & bizarre plane known as the Elemental Plane of Plants is a unique amalgam of vine & place, flower & environment, what & where. The entire plane is filled with large-scale botanical tissues. Massive tunnels, like those that transfer nutrients to parts of lesser plants, run in every direction, branching & forking into smaller & smaller tributaries, carrying fluids at a rapid pace. Cyclopean leaves, stems, roots, etc, quiver & pulsate, performing unfathomable functions. Enormous limbs of unparalleled might pierce vast closed chasms, which are covered in plains of vines & forests of leaves.

The plane-plant is a shapeless entity; its structure & layout seem to defy all bonatical conventions.

Yes, this is supposed to be as much like a planty Elemental Plane of Flesh as possible.

Elemental Plane of Plants Traits
The Plant Plane has the flowing traits:

Objective Directional Gravity: In the yawning tunnels & vast sinuous cavities of the Elemental Plane of Plants, gravity is oriented toward whatever wall a creature is nearest. Thus, there is no normal concept of floor, wall & ceiling; any surface is a floor if you’re near enough to it. In fact, in the many narrow channels, gravity is exactly cancelled out, allowing vital fluids (& travelers) to shoot through them at incredible speed.

Normal Time.

Infinite Size: The Elemental Plane of Plants goes on forever, although there are finite areas covered in a variety of layers, including those with leaves, flowers, & even massive plates like there are on pine cones. These pockets can vary in size from room-sized to immense caverns stretching for miles, & are the closest thing on this plane to being “outside” of the plane-wide body.

Alterable Morphic.

Plant Dominant: Planes with this trait are mostly solid plant matter. Travelers who arrive run the risk of suffocation if they don’t reach a fissure within the plane-wide plant. Worse yet, individuals without the ability to burrow are entombed in the tissues & must dig their way out (5’ per turn). The myriad fluidic vessels that run through this plane are filled with an oxygenated liquid that is breathable by both air-based & water-based creatures.
Note: The plane has roots with 2-way portals into the Elemental Planes of Water and Earth, and leaves with such portals into the Elemental Plane Air.

Mildly Chaos-Aligned: Lawful characters suffer a -2 penalty on all Charisma-based checks.

Normal Magic.

Elemental Plane of Plants Inhabitants:
Obviously, all kinds of plant creatures live and thrive here, as do many fey. It is said that those rare plants with souls, and some fey, come here after death. In addition, there are a variety of special elementals, like Rootites, giant towering roots in search of water and nutrients, Floramentals, live flowers, and Leefamentals, who look for sunlight. Will-o-the-wisps and other glowing creatures are sought to allow the Plane to photosythesise. Fire creatures are attacked, while fleshy ones and constructs are "just" given the cold shoulder. For some reason, while elves (obviously) are more well-liked than most fleshy creatures, humans are hated, but half-elves even more so.
The native tounge of the Elemental Plane of Plants is Botan, a deep, slow tounge that is often learned by botanists, druids, fey, etc. Intelligent natives who deal with other planes typically speak Common, although there are some speakers of other elemental languages, as well.

The (plant) Subtyppe:
This subtype is used for ousiders and elementals with a connection to the Elemental Plane of Plants. Such creatures usually have DR/slashing or DR/-, and almost all (except oozes)have a high NA.
Creatures with the plant subtype have vulnerability to fire.

More will come when I have time.

EDIT:
Table of Contents
Premise (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6267268#post6267268)
Inhabitants (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6267268#post6267268)
Table of Contents (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6267268#post6267268)
Biophosphoesence (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6269078#post6269078)
Plant Gensai Genasi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6345722#post6345722)

paddyfool
2009-06-11, 11:37 AM
May I suggest reading some Swamp Thing comics for ideas? They're rich in mad plant-based goodness.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-11, 12:45 PM
May I suggest reading some Swamp Thing comics for ideas? They're rich in mad plant-based goodness.

"Swamp Thing"?

Also, I ask any aspiring botanists to tell me (PM or post) about various obscure plant structures (just shape, name, and function is fine) so I can make more goodies for this plane? I'm more of a zoologist myself.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-11, 01:04 PM
Also, I ask any aspiring botanists to tell me (PM or post) about various obscure plant structures (just shape, name, and function is fine) so I can make more goodies for this plane? I'm more of a zoologist myself.

Wikipedia is your friend. She is your lover. She is your only hope. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_physiology) :smallwink:

Seriously though, the articles on Plant Physiology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_physiology), Plant Anatomy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_anatomy), & Plant Morphology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_morphology)have just about anything you could need.

I referenced a lot of human anatomy & zoology materials when I was writing the Fleshplane. I think it paid off in the end, but most of the results were... subtle. And good luck avoiding copious plant-based puns; the body part puns in the PoF project couldn't be helped.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-11, 01:28 PM
Wikipedia is your friend. She is your lover. She is your only hope. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_physiology) :smallwink:

Seriously though, the articles on Plant Physiology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_physiology), Plant Anatomy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_anatomy), & Plant Morphology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_morphology)have just about anything you could need.

I referenced a lot of human anatomy & zoology materials when I was writing the Fleshplane. I think it paid off in the end, but most of the results were... subtle. And good luck avoiding copious plant-based puns; the body part puns in the PoF project couldn't be helped.

Thanks.

Rootites-Root Elementals (Rhysoid[root hair])
Stamentals
Ovuloids

Nastic Movement-plants moving
Also, what puns? Organelle is the only pseudo-pun I can come up with.

paddyfool
2009-06-11, 01:35 PM
He speaks the truth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_Thing)

Lysander
2009-06-11, 01:46 PM
Plants are very reliant on sunlight. Can I suggest having some kind of magical sunlight exist in this plane, even though there's no sun?

Maybe large orbs of magical sunlight, or shafts of light that magically pierce thorough all obstacles and continue through the plane on infinite paths.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-11, 02:09 PM
I'll see what I can do with Swamp Thing.

Plants are very reliant on sunlight. Can I suggest having some kind of magical sunlight exist in this plane, even though there's no sun?

Maybe large orbs of magical sunlight, or shafts of light that magically pierce thorough all obstacles and continue through the plane on infinite paths.
See first post.
See first post run.
Run, first post, run!
(can't remember where that's from, or I'd quote it.)
In the first post I said there were Will-O-The-Wisps and other light-emmiting creatures for just that purpose.

Also, for the glowing elf who helps the plant plane grow:
Biophosphoesence
You glow!
Benifet: You canstantly glow like a light spell. You cannot suppress this effect and take a -40 penalty to Hide checks if poor lighting is allowing you to hide.

paddyfool
2009-06-11, 02:18 PM

I recommend the Alan Moore run on this.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-11, 02:58 PM
I recommend the Alan Moore run on this.

??????????
stupid 10 character rule.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-11, 03:04 PM
??????????
stupid 10 character rule.

Are you purposefully ignoring this, or do you truly not know the almight power of the Green? Alan Moore's run on the Swamp Thing was awesome, & redefined the character. If you only know the Swamp Thing from the crappy movies, the crapphy TV show, or the crappy cartoon, then you do NOT know Swamp Thing. That crap suffers from Adaptation Decay to the 10th power.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-11, 03:06 PM
Are you purposefully ignoring this, or do you truly not know the almight power of the Green? Alan Moore's run on the Swamp Thing was awesome, & redefined the character. If you only know the Swamp Thing from the crappy movies, the crapphy TV show, or the crappy cartoon, then you do NOT know Swamp Thing. That crap suffers from Adaptation Decay to the 10th power.

I didn't know Swamp Thing at all until paddyfool mentioned it.

hamishspence
2009-06-11, 03:13 PM
the Plane of Wood in Manual of the Planes seems like a similar concept- with the difference being that its one big wooden plant rather than a jungle.

Plant Creatures from the same book might work well.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-11, 03:56 PM
the Plane of Wood in Manual of the Planes seems like a similar concept- with the difference being that its one big wooden plant rather than a jungle.

Plant Creatures from the same book might work well.

Which is the jungle?:smallconfused:I know mine's a giant plant, but the EPoW seems like an infinite solid wood block.

I wish I had the Manual of the Planes. There is so much in the Planar Handboook that refrence the manuel...

hamishspence
2009-06-11, 04:23 PM
the plane of plants as described is rather fleshy, a bit like MotP's Neth- The Plane that Lives.

the Plane of Wood is described as

a massive banyan tree with neither root or crown. Instead branches the size of Material Plane sequoias twist and curl through space, and other plant life is cradled among these humongous branches.

The branches of the Great Tree fill with water and support mangrove swamps, while other ridged portions are homes to domesticated crops. Forests of pine and oak spiral along the great branches. Blankets of wildflowers grown up along the sides of the Great Tree, and within hidden hollows thrive various molds and fungi.

There is no native animal life larger than the insects needed for pollination. Animals in general and sentient beings in particular are not welcome.

There are, however, Wood element creatures. Template can be applied to various aberrations, animals, magical beasts, or vermin, giving them the elemental (wood) type. They look like the normal creature made entirely of branches and leaves.

Pie Guy
2009-06-11, 04:23 PM
Just one nitpick: Under the plant subtype you say all creatures with a connection to the plane of FLESH.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-11, 04:27 PM
the plane of plants as described is rather fleshy, a bit like MotP's Neth- The Plane that Lives.

the Plane of Wood is described as

a massive banyan tree with neither root or crown. Instead branches the size of Material Plane sequoias twist and curl through space, and other plant life is cradled among these humongous branches.

The branches of the Great Tree fill with water and support mangrove swamps, while other ridged portions are homes to domesticated crops. Forests of pine and oak spiral along the great branches. Blankets of wildflowers grown up along the sides of the Great Tree, and within hidden hollows thrive various molds and fungi.

There is no native animal life larger than the insects needed for pollination. Animals in general and sentient beings in particular are not welcome.

There are, however, Wood element creatures. Template can be applied to various aberrations, animals, magical beasts, or vermin, giving them the elemental (wood) type. They look like the normal creature made entirely of branches and leaves.
The Plane of Plants is A.) one plant, and B.) supposed to be an anti-flesh plane.
The mentioned template would be perfectfor this plane! Now I really wish I had that book...:smallfrown:

Just one nitpick: Under the plant subtype you say all creatures with a connection to the plane of FLESH.

Oops. Stupid copy/paste error!

JackMage666
2009-06-11, 04:36 PM
Is it safe to say that most non-fey creatures that live here posses the Woodling template from MM3?

Zeta Kai
2009-06-11, 04:49 PM
Also, what puns? Organelle is the only pseudo-pun I can come up with.

The EPoF is filled with bad puns. Hell, I wrote it because of a bad pun. It started because I wanted to stat up a creature called a Ligamental. The ligamental needed a home plane to be an elemental from, & the Fleshplane is the result.

Here are some more of the horrible, awful puns from the EPoF project:

Cystemic Anomalies
Obee City
The Red Flow
Cell Block
Mightochondrion
Parasight
Sickle Cell

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-11, 06:29 PM
Is it safe to say that most non-fey creatures that live here posses the Woodling template from MM3?
Other than plants, plant elementals, and plant outsiders? Yeah.

The EPoF is filled with bad puns. Hell, I wrote it because of a bad pun. It started because I wanted to stat up a creature called a Ligamental. The ligamental needed a home plane to be an elemental from, & the Fleshplane is the result.

Cystemic Anomalies
Obee City
The Red Flow
Cell Block
Mightochondrion
Parasight
Sickle Cell

Those are puns? :smallconfused: They never seemed too Punny to me...pun intended

Katasi
2009-06-15, 05:19 PM

Cystemic Anomalies
Obee City
The Red Flow
Cell Block
Mightochondrion
Parasight
Sickle Cell

yes, those puns where true groaners. Also I love "the red flow" of course you meant it to be based of the blood stream... but honestly it brings to mind a girl with her period.

TSED
2009-06-15, 05:41 PM
All I can think of with Elemental Plane of Plants is

"Frig, how did we end up INSIDE Yggdrasil?"

EDIT:: Which gives a pretty easy way to incorporate it into standard D&D cosmology.

Juhn
2009-06-16, 06:56 PM
...I feel terrible that I never picked up on Obee City.

I blame Star Wars for the fact that cities can have incredibly strange names and I won't bat an eye.

DracoDei
2009-06-16, 07:34 PM
I have been wanting to say this for a while, and I think the time has come...

You know, if you pull this off, and maybe even if you don't, I think this means that someone needs to do a demi-plane of macro-sized single-celled organisms that is a sub-plane of the elemental plane of water... adventure among ladies' slippers, algae strands, and amoebae(sp)!

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-16, 08:59 PM
yes, those puns where true groaners.

I got some of them later.

Katasi
2009-06-16, 09:20 PM

See first post.
See first post run.
Run, first post, run!
(can't remember where that's from, or I'd quote it.)
In the first post I said there were Will-O-The-Wisps and other light-emmiting creatures for just that purpose.

Also, for the glowing elf who helps the plant plane grow:
Biophosphoesence
You glow!
Benifet: You canstantly glow like a light spell. You cannot suppress this effect and take a -40 penalty to Hide checks if poor lighting is allowing you to hide.

I do believe your quote is a parody of the old "**** and jane" books for teaching kids to read.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-17, 09:43 PM
I do believe your quote is a parody of the old "**** and jane" books for teaching kids to read.

I know, but someone else posted it for a similar reason.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-22, 07:21 PM
Alright...more!

Plant Genasi*
*I have only seen stats for one genasi, the flesh genasi (aka human).
Plant genasi hate humans, giving support to the theory that humans are flesh genasi. Another theory states that a union between a human and a plant genasi produces an elf, but this theory is unprovable due to the fact that most plant geanai and humans cannot coexist with each other. By this theory, half-elves are hated, even attacked, because they are fleshy mockeries of elves and plant genasi.
Plant genasi look like dark-skinned elves from a distance; however, up close, one can tell their skin is barky, their "hair" is leaves, and their limbs branch (no effect on statistics). In addition, a plant genasi's feet resemble roots.

Plant genasi characters:
Ability adjustments: +2 Con, -2 Cha: While tough, plant genasi are hateful of nonplant creatures.
+1 natural armor bonus
Medium
Speed: 20 ft
+1 bonus on Diplomacy checks against plants, creatures with the plant subtype, plant genasi, and elves: Not all creatures are hated by plant genasi.
Energy resistance: Plant genasi have resistance to cold equal to 2+1/4 their character level.
Natural attack: A plant genasi has a natural slam attack dealing 1d6 points of damage; this attack cannot be used if both of the plant genasi's hands are full.
Automatic language: Botan. Bonus languages: Any. Plant genasi can learn the languages of their fleshy foes, and that of elves.
Favored Class: Any.

-----------
How balenced do you think they are?

PumpkinEater
2009-06-22, 07:50 PM
Alright...more!

Plant Gensai*
*I have only seen stats for one gensai, the flesh gensai (aka human).
Plant gensai hate humans, giving support to the theory that humans are flesh gensai. Another theory states that a union between a human and a plant gensai produces an elf, but this theory is unprovable due to the fact that most plant gensai and humans cannot coexist with each other. By this theory, half-elves are hated, even attacked, because they are fleshy mockeries of elves and plant gensai.
Plant gensai look like dark-skinned elves from a distance; however, up close, one can tell their skin is barky, their "hair" is leaves, and their limbs branch (no effect on statistics). In addition, a plant gensai's feet resemble roots.

Plant gensai characters:
Ability adjustments: +2 Con, -2 Cha: While tough, plant gensai are hateful of nonplant creatures.
+1 natural armor bonus
Medium
Speed: 20 ft
+1 bonus on Diplomacy checks against plants, creatures with the plant subtype, plant gensai, and elves: Not all creatures are hated by plant gensai.
Energy resistance: Plant gensai have resistance to cold equal to 2+1/4 their character level.
Natural attack: A plant gensai has a natural slam attack dealing 1d6 points of damage; this attack cannot be used if both of the plant gensai's hands are full.
Automatic language: Botan. Bonus languages: Any. Plant gensai can learn the languages of their fleshy foes, and that of elves.
Favored Class: Any.

-----------
How balenced do you think they are?

For one, they're called Genasi, not Gensai.

Being tough and relations between plant Genasi and non-plant creatures seem totally unrelated, unless I'm missing something.

Is Botan really actually the Plant language?

Besides that, it seems fairly balanced...

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-22, 09:02 PM
For one, they're called Genasi, not Gensai.
Thanks.

Being tough and relations between plant Genasi and non-plant creatures seem totally unrelated, unless I'm missing something.
You're missing that they are meant for the two different ability score modifiers.

Is Botan really actually the Plant language?

The native tounge of the Elemental Plane of Plants is Botan, a deep, slow tounge that is often learned by botanists, druids, fey, etc.
I belive so.

Besides that, it seems fairly balanced...
Great!

Leon
2009-06-24, 06:00 AM
Welcome to the Jungle

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-06, 08:46 PM
Okay, now to get back to this.

Nactic Movement
It's unknown to many a layman that plants move. Oh, if they thought about it, they'd realise that flowers open and close, but few examples really stand out in the minds of the commoners, the dung shovelers and farmers that make up the majority of many a campaign.
But I am getting off track.
Sometimes, for unknown reasons, the plants in an area of the plane, usually not more than a few hundred feet wide but sometimes miles across, suddenly move quicker. It's theorised that this is due to the plane's own movement, but it is impossible to tell. Perhaps even the gods do not know what causes this.
In an area of nactic movement, all plants and creatures with the (plant) subtype are affected as if by haste; any under a haste effect for any other reason instead may take two actions per turn, gain a +1 bonus to Initiative, and have a +2 bonus to AC and attack rolls. Flesh creatures must make a DC 5 Fortitude save or be under a slow effect for as long as they are in this section of nactic movement. This is the oddest part about nactic movement, but it is a strange thing to begin with.
An area of nactic movement usually is 2d4X5 feet across and lasts for 2d8+1 rounds.