PDA

View Full Version : 3 LA +1 Races [PEACH]

kailin
2006-07-27, 07:35 PM
Hey all! I thought I'd try my hand at making a few LA +1 PC races that'd be fun and actually playable. It's been an interesting challenge to make them better than base races, but just enough so to be worth that higher ECL. Please PEACH away:

Sellesci (Sell-ess-ee)
+2 Str, -2 Con, -2 Int
Medium Humanoid (Human Blood)
30 ft base land speed
+2 to racial bonus Sense Motive, Gather Information, and Heal checks
+2 racial bonus to resist mind-affecting effects
Divine Armament (Su): Any weapon held by a Sellesci gains a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls.
Lucky (Su): Once per day, a Sellesci may reroll a roll he has just made, before the DM announces the results, EDIT: Just like the granted power of the Luck domain.
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): A Sellesci with a Wisdom of at least 10 may use these abilities 3/day - virtue, light
Favored Class: Paladin
LA +1

Sellesci are planetouched humans who often feel the call to do some great good with their lives. They appear as tall, handsome humans with piercing gray eyes. They injure easily and tend to carry a number of scars.

A typical Sellesci is saddened and angered to see helpless people enslaved or exploited, and many champions of the downtrodden have emerged from their lines. Sellesci are not the craftiest thinkers, but they are not wanton fighters like half-orcs often are. They simply shy away from subtle planning. Though they feel an innate call to do good, their lineage is primarily human and they are open to all manner of thinking. However, outright evil Sellesci are the exception rather than the rule, and even the vilest must feel the occasional twinge of guilt.

Vetinor
+2 Int, +2 Cha, -4 Dex
Medium Humanoid
20 ft base land speed
+2 racial bonus to Spellcraft, and Knowlege (arcana), and Climb checks.
Tight Grip (Ex): All checks to disarm a Vetinor take a -2 penalty
Spell Power: +1 to caster level for level-dependent spell variables and caster level checks
Vexing Spell Lore: +1 to dispelling checks, (stacks with Spell Power)
Spell Mastery: At level 1, a Vetinor gains Spell Mastery as a bonus feat.
Favored Class: Wizard
LA +1

Vetinor are squat-nosed, slothy creatures with fur ranging from pale green to vivid blue and three short claws on each hand. These clumsy claws are too small to use as weapons, but give Vetinor a clamplike grip and help them climb.

Vetinor are slow-moving arboreal beings drawn to the study and appreciation of magic. They love the same woods as elves, and indeed claim to have welcomed the first elves into the world and introduced them to the magical arts. They don't like to range far from home, however, their version of elvish history is not so well-known. Vetinor can't eat meat. They are generally a conservative race, but make fierce adversaries when moved to anger.

Ruki
+4 Dex, -2 Con, -4 Wis
Small Humanoid
20 ft base land speed, fly 40 ft (perfect)
+2 racial bonus to Craft (Alchemy), and Disable Device checks
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Ruki with a charisma of at least 11 can use these abilities 3/day (DC 11 + Cha) - Grease, Tenser's Floating Disk, Message
Favored Class: Rogue

These small, wiry humanoids have an odd combination of childlike features and stern-looking bony crests. Two incredibly delicate wings emerging from their backs seem to be in constant flutter. the deft but frail Ruki are insatiably curious sneaks and tinkerers, and their curiosity gets the better of them just as often as they get the better of others.

Most who are familiar with Ruki have more than one story about one having to flee from town one step ahead of the guard, or being blown up in his own laboratory. Nevertheless, the mercurial Ruki are endlessly charming and make friends at least as quickly as they make trouble.

Cybren
2006-07-27, 09:59 PM
Favored class for ruki? (okay, I can guess it's rogue, bard, or sorcerer)

kailin
2006-07-27, 11:01 PM
Oh, right, forgot that. You guessed right the first time.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-07-28, 12:16 AM
These races are all awesome. However, i don't like how the Sellesci's luck ability can only be used before they find out the result of the role. IMO, it kinda defeats the purpose.

skreweded
2006-07-28, 01:51 AM
Not so much.

Um. I rolled a nat 1. I think ill reroll....

TheOOB
2006-07-28, 02:09 AM
All abilities that let you reroll require you to do so before you know the result. Its usually fairly easy to know when to use it. Hmm, I'm saving agienst a slay living and I rolled a 3, I think I'll reroll that before the DM tells me I die.

Ditto
2006-07-28, 02:13 AM
Ruki is pretty strong. I'm not sure about balance for LA races (I suck at that game...), but I don't see any drawbacks at all to picking this race. -4 Wis doesn't really kill a rogue, especially when he's getting Dex and Cha to counter. The SLAs *and* flight? This thing is jacked.

kailin
2006-07-28, 10:59 AM
Ruki is pretty strong. etc, etc . . . This thing is jacked.

Is it? I mean, yeah, it's better than the base races, but the LA +1 slows you down. But this is my first try at fiddling with races with an LA -- what needs changing to be worth a +1 level adjustment?

Thomas
2006-07-28, 11:23 AM
Is it? I mean, yeah, it's better than the base races, but the LA +1 slows you down. But this is my first try at fiddling with races with an LA -- what needs changing to be worth a +1 level adjustment?

They're easily the equal of drow (LA +2), and quite probably more powerful, what with the perfect-maneuverability flight. (Spell resistance only helps against spells; flight helps in almost all situations and challenges.)

kailin
2006-07-28, 12:19 PM
Hmm, okay. I wanted the flight to be the main draw of the race, and thus generally great. I replaced the +2 Cha with a -2 Con and took away the +2 racial bonus to Move Silently and the swift invisibility SLA. How's it look now?

Personally, I think I'd rather play a Vetinor. What do you think of them?