PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Spell-like abilites

Thrawn183
2009-06-11, 09:38 PM
Ok, so we all know that spell-like abilites have no verbal, somatic or material components. Now, for certain spells like say Cone of Cold, it's probably pretty obvious where the spell is coming from. But what about mental control spells like say... Suggestion? I mean, yeah if you make your save you know that "someone" attempted to control your mind, but you still don't actually know who.

What's to stop something like say... a succubus from transforming into a halfling and just plinking away at the party while in the middle of a town? I mean, without magic you'd have no way of figuring which one was doing it to you.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-11, 09:40 PM
Obviously, but a simple casting of Magic Circle Against Evil or X Protection from Evil spells would instantly render the Succubus impotent. Pun intended.

quick_comment
2009-06-11, 09:47 PM
Spell like abilities, despite not having any components, are still recognizable because they provoke AoOs.

Eldariel
2009-06-11, 09:48 PM
What's to stop something like say... a succubus from transforming into a halfling and just plinking away at the party while in the middle of a town? I mean, without magic you'd have no way of figuring which one was doing it to you.

Note that the form alteration is only a +10 bonus to Disguise; you can still beat the Spot-check just fine to figure out it's really a Succubus. That's definitely one way.

Jack_Simth
2009-06-11, 09:51 PM
Obviously, but a simple casting of Magic Circle Against Evil or X Protection from Evil spells would instantly render the Succubus impotent. Pun intended.
Only for the spell's duration. What you need to cast is Arcane Sight or True Sight, either of which allows you to locate the shapechanger without too much of a problem.

Spell like abilities, despite not having any components, are still recognizable because they provoke AoOs.

Potentially. This may or may not be the case for all DM's. After all, most everyday tasks provoke attacks of opportunity. You could be doing something else that causes you to drop your gaurd.

Note that the form alteration is only a +10 bonus to Disguise; you can still beat the Spot-check just fine to figure out it's really a Succubus. That's definitely one way.

Definately. I always forget how useful the skillmonkey can be.

Thrawn183
2009-06-11, 10:00 PM
Well as far as the disguise versus spot goes. A succubus as a CR 7 would have a +27 bonus. A level 7 rogue with maxed spot and a +5 item would have somewhere around around a +17. Then you start adding in the -2 penalty for for every 10 feet of distance... and yeah, you're gonna be hard pressed to actually beat that disguise check.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-12, 07:41 AM
Well, in the case of suggestion at least, there is a verbal component. At least, there must be a verbal suggestion which they are suggesting for you to follow. Otherwise, how would you know they suggested it? Basically, they have to be talking to you to use it.