PDA

View Full Version : Race - Murimus (PEACH)

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-24, 11:14 PM
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6316/mouseyventure2vx1.png

Murimus
(Moo-ree-moose)
* +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength
[hr]
*Murimus are highly agile, but they tend to be somewhat weak.
[hr]
* Small: As a Small creature, a Murimus gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
* Murimus base land speed is 20 feet.
* +2 racial bonus on Hide, Climb, Disable Device and Move Silently checks.
* A Murimus may speak with animals as a free action as the Spell "Speak with Animals" as cast by a 3rd level Druid.

* -1 on saves vs fear affects
[hr]
Murimus are rather timid, and subject to fear easily.
[hr]

*Musteval Ancestry: A Murimu may cast disguse self as a spell like ability twice per day. The DC is 10 + Charisma Modifier + Spell Level.

*Darkvision 60 f.t.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Murimus. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, and Halfling.
* Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass Murimus’ rogue class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Appearence: Murimus look like Small Humanoid mice, with fur ranging in color in shades of white, brown, and black. They have long pink tails and able agile fingers.

[hr][hr][hr]
Fluff time:

The Murimus are generally a shy race, keeping to their dens in the rolling hills of temperate climates. They can, however, survive just fine in an Urban setting, though their odd appearence often confuses people unfamiliar with them. They trace their lineage back to a far removed ancestor from the outer planes who was said to have many magical and amazing powers.

Murimus are communal, with a life very centered around the family unit. Often a single family of Murimus will have two parents and up to eight children. They live in dens underground in hilly, grassy areas and tend toward a life of farming and subsistence living.

They tend to be very curious, especially when in a new place, and ask many questions of people they view as reliable sources of knowledge. They can often be a bit too trusting though and have a tendency to take things literally.

Combat: Murimus dislike combat, due to their small physical nature, and prefer to sneak around or hide in the presence of larger enemies. They are not, however, above taking a cheap shot or two to fell an opponent who would otherwise be too large for them.

Adventuring: A sense of curiosity of the world outside the walls of their dens often sends a young Murimu out to the world in search of adventure. Because the Murimus mostly subsistence farm, any sort of drought or dryspell can send large families of Murimus seeking work and shelter in nearby cities until they can go back to farming again, often the sights and sounds of the Urban world excite and fascinate a Murimu, who will stay behind as his family returns to the farm life, in search of a whole new life of grand adventure amongst the city folk.

Any ideas/suggestions? Balanced, unbalanced?

BelkarsDagger
2006-07-24, 11:15 PM
A bonus to Disable Device? I didn't think it was wise to hae bonuses to Trained Only skills.

But otherwise, looks okay. I think I need more fluff text to really 'get' it, though.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-24, 11:46 PM
A bonus to Disable Device? I didn't think it was wise to hae bonuses to Trained Only skills.

But otherwise, looks okay. I think I need more fluff text to really 'get' it, though.

I'll add more fluff once I'm sure the crunch is ok. I also believe you're right about the disable device...*removed.*

RoboticSheeple
2006-07-24, 11:57 PM
Here's the basic test:
Why do I want to play them?

the answer? I don't. They seem to be more underpowered than kobolds already are. -2 to con is a huge limiter.

Also there is no reason to no have a racial bonus to a trained skill. Proof? A kobold character has a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks.
Profession is Trained only.

No darkvision? I thought that was a staple of the "animal" races.

EDIT for proof of above statement on underpowerment:

Kobold Characters VS Murimus

* -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution. Vs * +4 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution
Advantage: Murimus

* A kobold’s base land speed is 30 feet. VS * Murimus base land speed is 20 feet.
Advantage: Kobold

* Darkvision out to 60 feet. VS Nothing
Advantage: Kobold

* Racial Skills: A kobold character has a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks. VS * +2 racial bonus on Hide, Climb, and Move Silently checks.
Advantage: Contested

* +1 natural armor bonus.
* Special Qualities (see above): Light sensitivity. VS * A Murimus may speak with animals as a free action as the Spell "Speak with Animals" as cast by a 3rd level Druid.
Advantage: Contested

So how often can the Speak with Animals ability be used? That con penalty is a big sticking point for any character that makes them totally undeserable to many people. Considering that as a small size the character made is more likey to have class lvls in non-tanking classes like Rogue and Wizard where con is often how most hp are gained well like I've said it hurts. The idea of cute little mice people appeal to me but right now, they just don't seem viable.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-24, 11:59 PM
Here's the basic test:
Why do I want to play them?

the answer? I don't. They seem to be more underpowered than kobolds already are. -2 to con is a huge limiter.

Also there is no reason to no have a racial bonus to a trained skill. Proof? A kobold character has a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks.
Profession is Trained only.

No darkvision? I thought that was a staple of the "animal" races.

Good points all. Yeah the -2 con is tough, but I figured a +4 dex was a nice offset.

RoboticSheeple
2006-07-25, 12:10 AM
Good points all. Yeah the -2 con is tough, but I figured a +4 dex was a nice offset.

OK, right, I understand where you're coming from with this but the Kobold thread just went over this point not too long ago.
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1153747032 ;start=15#15
Basically, +dex =/= -con in terms of surviving. The con weighs in at much more valuable.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-25, 12:15 AM
When I say "As a free action" I mean they can use it whenever they wish, as though it were just a language for them. (This ability comes from their Guardinal ancestry, which I alluded to in the fluff I just added)

As for the Dex Con situation,

I don't really feel that a -4 Str in exchange for a +4 Dex is very pleasant, but it is liveable, opinion?

RoboticSheeple
2006-07-25, 12:24 AM
When I say "As a free action" I mean they can use it whenever they wish, as though it were just a language for them. (This ability comes from their Guardinal ancestry, which I alluded to in the fluff I just added)

As for the Dex Con situation,

I don't really feel that a -4 Str in exchange for a +4 Dex is very pleasant, but it is liveable, opinion?

I think the problem is being stuck on a +4 dex. +2 dex +2 int, or wis, or cha sounds a lot more playable.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-25, 12:35 AM
I think the problem is being stuck on a +4 dex. +2 dex +2 int, or wis, or cha sounds a lot more playable.

Hmm...give me a moment, I have an idea.

Edit: Alright I altered the stats, as well as gave them a spell-like ability to better reflect their ancestry.

RoboticSheeple
2006-07-25, 12:36 AM
Hmm...give me a moment, I have an idea.

Edit: Alright I altered the stats, as well as gave them a spell-like ability to better reflect their ancestry.

You're going to hate me, But now seem slightly overpowered... -1 on saves vs fear affects to reflect timidness would balance them...

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-25, 12:40 AM
You're going to hate me, But now seem slightly overpowered... -1 on saves vs fear affects to reflect timidness would balance them...

I like :)

I don't hate you at all. Frankly I wanted a +0 LA version of the Muskeval, and set out to do it. Help is always appreciated.

I don't take Criticism to heart, I take it to mind ;D

RoboticSheeple
2006-07-25, 12:51 AM
I like em, now to make a party with a Murimus, a Tibbit, and a Werewolf or Lupin...

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-25, 10:13 AM
I like em, now to make a party with a Murimus, a Tibbit, and a Werewolf or Lupin...

I'm glad they now meet with approval.

Anyone else?

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-25, 10:14 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought it said 'Mumins'. I almost killed myself.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-25, 11:14 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought it said 'Mumins'. I almost killed myself.
I don't get the reference...I should be shamed...

kailin
2006-07-25, 11:32 AM
Hmm . . . favorable ability score adjustments, 2 fairly useful spell-like abilities, 4 skill boosts, a small save penalty, and short-range darkvision.

I hate to say this, but they either need a little more and an LA+1, or a little less and LA 0.

Compare to halflings:
+2 Dex, -2 Str. Murimus win hands down
Small, 20 ft base spd Even
+2 to 3 skills Even
+1 to saves (+3 v fear) Halflings win

Unique traits
Halflings: +1 with thrown wpns.
Murimus: darkvision, spell-like abilities.

The only big thing is the extra +2 to Cha. I'd tend to say, and I don't think many would disagree, that +2 to an ability score is better than +1 to all saves. I'd say the two races are about even as far as the unique traits go, the utility of darkvision and disguise self balances well against the sometimes-good +1 bonus to thrown attacks.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-25, 03:16 PM
All true but Dex and Cha don't really equal Str true?

I'd say, compare them to the Gnome and it's spell like abilities if anything.

Perhaps instead of -1 vs fear it should be -1 vs all will saves since they're timid and too trusting?

kailin
2006-07-25, 03:57 PM
All true but Dex and Cha don't really equal Str true?

You could debate that question endlessly, but the fact is halflings get +2 Dex, -2 Str, so Murimus' ability score adjustments are strictly better.

I'd say, compare them to the Gnome and it's spell like abilities if anything.

This occured to me, but their set spell-like abilities don't seem all that comparable to gnomes', because they have fewer of them, and unlike gnomes they have no limitations on what kind of animals they can speak to and no minimum Cha score to use these abilities.

Perhaps instead of -1 vs fear it should be -1 vs all will saves since they're timid and too trusting?

If it were me, I'd take away the +2 Cha and the save penalty, and call it even. Maybe leave it as -1 to fear saves and boost their Darkvision up to 60 feet in exchange. Ends up looking like a naturally timid, sneaky guy who has some resemblances to halflings and gnomes but won't be confused for either.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-25, 10:59 PM
Ahem *cough*

How 'bout now?

kailin
2006-07-26, 03:02 PM
Ahem *cough*

How 'bout now?

I like it!

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-26, 09:53 PM
Now I'm planning on putting these into the campaign world I'm developing.

If I do, I think I'm going to remove halflings entirely from the campaign.

Does any direct problem emerge from this?

kailin
2006-07-27, 01:54 AM
Only me being sad about no halflings. But I assume a madman callous enough to cut the poor half-pintswould be deaf to my heartbroken sobs.