PDA

View Full Version : Intellegence based Character Classes

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-12, 12:00 AM
I like playing characters with a good Intellegence. It is the easiest to roleplay for me, and I find it fun to have a character who can actually solve a puzzle. Since my DM frequently starts geshalt games, I am trying to come up with as many base classes that use Intellegence (primarily or secondarily) as possible.

Wizard
Archivist
Factotum
Truenamer
Shadowcaster
Warblade
Swashbuckler
Wu Jen
Duskblade
Beguiler
Warmage
Psion
Artificer
Lurk
Psychic Rogue
Ranger (with Sword of the Arcane Order)
Monk (with Kung-Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk)

Please help me out here.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-12, 12:02 AM
You have covered all of the ones I know.

I'd also like to find a list of prestige classes that provide spellcasting on thier own accord who use INT as the primary stat. I'm not sure if there are any. They all appear to be WIS and CHA based to me. :(

Brogen
2009-06-12, 12:07 AM
The duelist prestige class gets intelligence to AC, as does the Bladesinger prc. (DMG, and Complete Warrior(?) respectively).

holywhippet
2009-06-12, 12:14 AM
I'd add bard to that list. One of the bards role in the party is to know stuff and figure stuff out. All of the knowledge skills, decipher script, appraise and spellcraft rely on the intelligence stat.

The rogue could also be included as they are a skill monkey class with a lot of intelligence based skills.

Dogmantra
2009-06-12, 12:18 AM
I'd also like to find a list of prestige classes that provide spellcasting on thier own accord who use INT as the primary stat. I'm not sure if there are any. They all appear to be WIS and CHA based to me. :(

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Assassin.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-12, 12:24 AM
I'd add bard to that list. One of the bards role in the party is to know stuff and figure stuff out. All of the knowledge skills, decipher script, appraise and spellcraft rely on the intelligence stat.

The rogue could also be included as they are a skill monkey class with a lot of intelligence based skills.

I am mainly trying to focus on classes that have Intellegence based class features, though rouge or bard would be a decent geshalting for extremely high skill points.

holywhippet
2009-06-12, 12:37 AM
I am mainly trying to focus on classes that have Intellegence based class features, though rouge or bard would be a decent geshalting for extremely high skill points.

Bard does have an intelligence based class feature - bardic knowledge. Good as a "I didn't put points in the knowledge skill I need or might not have enough points" fallback option.

Rogues partially do as well as only they can spot traps with a DC higher than 20 using search which is intelligence based.

Thorin
2009-06-12, 08:41 AM
bard sage from UA could fit for the "intelligent bard"

WARBLADE!!! has an awesome int sinergy

im planing actually

wrbld 20// bard sage 2/swashbuckler 3 /dervish 10 / warchanter 5

You have great party buffs (2 auras+ 2 useful songs if you pick song of the white raven is delicious total of 4 buffs from weird sources), manuvers and a really good fighting style. gonna be fun :)

Doc Roc
2009-06-12, 08:48 AM
Isn't the dread necromancer int based?

Blackfang108
2009-06-12, 08:51 AM
For Gestalt:

Duskblade has INT based Spellcasting, full BAB, d8 HD and Arcane Channel.

Armored Mage only applies to duskblade spells, but Arcane channel can be use with every Range: Touch spell known.

Turns your single stat character into a 2 stat character.

DEX: for all attacks (weapon Finesse for arcane channel.)
INT: Spellcasting stat. (Higher Priority)

Duke of URL
2009-06-12, 09:01 AM
Isn't the dread necromancer int based?

Nope, it's CHA-based.

But Artificer is INT-based for its infusions.

Goatman_Ted
2009-06-12, 01:11 PM
Artificer
Lurk
Psychic Rogue

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-12, 01:13 PM
Bard does have an intelligence based class feature - bardic knowledge. Good as a "I didn't put points in the knowledge skill I need or might not have enough points" fallback option.
Similarly, the Cloistered Cleric variant from Unearthed Arcana. Similar in flavor to Archivist, but I think it involves less bookkeeping.

I'd also like to find a list of prestige classes that provide spellcasting on thier own accord who use INT as the primary stat.
In addition to the already-mentioned Assassin, there's Trapsmith.

Chronos
2009-06-12, 04:06 PM
Rogues partially do as well as only they can spot traps with a DC higher than 20 using search which is intelligence based.Rogues also get Skill Mastery which depends on their Int bonus. By contrast, they don't actually get any Dex-based class features at all, just a bunch of Dex-based skills on their class list.

Cloistered Clerics are still Wis-based, though.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-13, 12:01 PM
By contrast, they don't actually get any Dex-based class features at all, just a bunch of Dex-based skills on their class list.
What? Evasion and Uncanny Dodge are Dex-based.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-13, 10:47 PM
Artificer
Lurk
Psychic Rogue

Thank you, this was just what I was looking for! I cant believe I missed Artificer, I knew there were some others.

Anything else, or is that it?

AmberVael
2009-06-13, 10:57 PM
Erudite from Complete Psionic works off of Intelligence.

Southern Cross
2009-06-14, 12:18 AM
For those with Arcana Evolved or its predecessor,Arcana Unearthed,it has two spellcasting classes (magisters & runethanes) that are Intelligence based.
The unfettered's parry attacks class feature is also INT-based.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-14, 12:43 AM
For those with Arcana Evolved or its predecessor,Arcana Unearthed,it has two spellcasting classes (magisters & runethanes) that are Intelligence based.
The unfettered's parry attacks class feature is also INT-based.

What pages are they on in UA? I have never been able to find those classes. :P

Dhavaer
2009-06-14, 12:57 AM
What pages are they on in UA? I have never been able to find those classes. :P

Arcana Unearthed, not Unearthed Arcana.

Generic Archer
2009-06-14, 01:18 AM
Is the irony of the topic name and the ease of playing intelligent characters apparent to anyone else.

The only intelligence based class I've played are rouges but thats my way of playing them and more int = more skill points.

Dane

Gaiyamato
2009-06-14, 11:15 PM

Oh yeah.. switcheroo... lol.

Collin152
2009-06-14, 11:18 PM

The fact that this problem exists at all makes me facepalm.

dspeyer
2009-06-14, 11:35 PM
Another class worth remembering is warlock. It isn't really anything-based (slightly dex and cha, but you don't need them). It makes a nice gestalt complement to any caster or skillmonkey.