PDA

View Full Version : Spur of the moment magic item (PEACH please)

Zeful
2006-07-25, 11:55 PM
Okay I saw this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1153846692 ) and I thought of the Deck of many things used in conjuction with my own artifact.

Warning: This is being made up as I write. It will most likely be unbalanced please don't point it out I know already.

Shadow gauntlet: Major artifact
This item appears to be a simple magic gauntlet. A DC 10 seach check reveals a small 3inch by three inch slot. This slot is only apparent when the glove is worn. An Identify spell (or similar effect) reveal it as a +1 gauntlet. When this gauntlet is within 100ft of a Deck of Many Things it begins to vibrate making a slight humming sound. The owner must make a DC25 will save after the first 24 hours of experiancing this noise or be compeled to find the nearest Deck of Many Things (deafness or magical silence does not negate the need for a saving throw). If a Deck is in your possesion you may draw and then place one card within the slot. Which card you place with in the gauntlet determines the addtional effect. You must draw the card from the deck in order to use it with the gauntlet. The Donjon and Void cards have no effect when used with the gauntlet. Only the Comet card alters the properties of your other weapons.

Balance: Deal 1d6 extra damage to any opponent who's alignment does not macth yours. Take 1d6 damage from any opponent who's alignment doesn't match yours.

Comet: Your melee attacks become ranged attacks with a 30ft range incriment and deal fire damage instead of there normal types. This effect extends to on additional melee attack of the users choice.

Euryale: Attack places Bane on target. CL5

The Fates: Once a month you may reroll an single melee damage roll with a +1 to damage

The Flames: Outsiders see you as enemies, and attack on sight.

The Fool: NPC's attitude starts at indifferent

Gem: Your attacks destroy inatimate objects.

Idiot: 1d6 permanate intelligence drain with each successful melee attack.

Jester: Your attacks deal non-leathal damage

Key: Once per day you may attack a locked baracade and it is subject to a knock spell.

Knight: You are immune to one attack/week

Moon: Able to cast shadow conjuration 1/day

Rogue: You take 2d6 extra damage when subject to a sneak attack.

Ruin: You attack destroys magic items. No magic item works within 100ft ofyou

Skull: You gain the death touch granted ability of the death domain once per month as a twentyith level cleric. If you destroy your opponent you take half of his Hp in damage.

Star: Your attack and damage rolls benefit from your highest ability modifier, instead of strength.

Sun: The guantlet becomes a +2 flaming burst spiked gauntlet of wounding. You lose one random magic item.

Talons: Your attack deals 4d6 slashing damage. You may use no other weapons besides the gauntlet.

Throne: You gain a +6 to charisma.

What'cha all think.

Jack_Simth
2006-07-26, 12:04 AM
1) Do you still suffer the effects of the drawn card yourself, or are they diverted into the guantlet?
2) Does the card remain available if someone else decides to Draw from the Deck?
3) +6 Charisma... to who, exactly? Most the effects seem to target the person the gauntlet is used on.
4) Shouldn't most artifacts have some nasty drawback?

Zeful
2006-07-26, 12:11 AM
1) Good question I should clear up that line, you are subject to the effects of the individual effects
2) No it's removed from the deck
3) You gain a +6 to charisma, it's the only thing I could think of for throne
4) It's a +1 gauntlet, it's practically useless without a Deck of Many Things. And some of the card effects are bad for you to... Well they are now.

Steward
2006-07-26, 01:52 AM
You might want to change that 'rouge' to 'rogue' before someone makes another lame make-up joke.

Gyrfalcon
2006-07-26, 02:34 AM
Hm... overall, I think these are actually good. Some mitagate (or at least provide a silver lining to) the effect of the Card you draw, while others enhance the card's effect, good or bad. Suggestions:

The Flames: Remove the 'Monks lose all their monk abilities' - there's no reason for this, and the fact that you can never again have peaceful contact with an outsider of any form is bad enough.

Jester: interesting, but needs definition - is there any way to reverse this, or does everything you touch now deal non-lethal damage, no matter what? It's not bad, except towards the high end of the campaign, where you go up against a fair number of constructs and undead (or other creatures with immunity to non-lethal) and you suddenly can't do anything against them.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-26, 02:43 AM
Rouge: You take 2d6 extra damage when subject to a sneak attack.

You mean a spank attack (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1123787949 ;start=0#0). ;D

Zeful
2006-07-26, 03:15 PM
No, I don't. I mean sneak attack.

Zeful
2006-07-26, 11:14 PM
Hello, anybody.

Gyrfalcon
2006-07-27, 12:12 AM
It was a play of the rogue/rouge thing. The rouge class was statted out a while ago for tongue in cheek purposes... and come on, there's nothing like being able to suddenly spank attack someone, is there? ;D

Zeful
2006-07-27, 12:41 AM
I ment about the item not about the rouge reference. I shook my head at it then, I shake my head at it now.