PDA

View Full Version : Ventrilo Server advice

Zeb The Troll
2009-06-12, 01:34 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking into funding about a 25 or 50 person Ventrilo server for my WAR guild and I was hoping to get some advice on where to go. Google springs up dozens of places so I want to hear from people who have good or bad experiences managing/using one or another. Obviously, I'd like to keep the costs down but not at the expense of poor quality/uptime/service.

Coincidentally, the one I'm looking at right now is ZebGames. :smallcool:

Not only does it have a cool name, but they are at a decent price point and have a lot of the extras that I didn't see available on some of the others (like all 11 codecs for free, use my own domain, unlimited bandwidth, web control panel, et cetera).

So, thoughts? War stories? Testimonials or warnings?

1dominator
2009-06-12, 01:37 AM
Ventrilo is a tool of Satan, it bears nothing but hate and suffering for humanity!

In all honesty though, I had alot of trouble getting ventrilo to work in the first place, I would not even want to imagine what kind of hell it would be to set up and manage a server. I personally always preferred Team Speak. Thats just about all the advice I can give you, sorry if it wasnt very helpful.

Zeb The Troll
2009-06-12, 01:55 AM
I have set up and managed Ventrilo on a personal server without much issue at all. It's just limited to 8 when you do it that way and that's not enough so I have to go professional and rent one.

Personally, I prefer TeamSpeak too, however no one in game uses it so if I want to be able to use mine to manage large groups of people through an instance or a coordinated RvR attack, I need to be using Vent.

Crispy Dave
2009-06-12, 02:24 AM
Well I just got ahold of some servers myself. I might be able to host it for you for a small price or maybe free. Let me look into this. Also this might reuire you to let me into your WAR guild:smallbiggrin:

edit: alternatively I prefer team speak myself but Alot of people seem to like Vent better.

Zeb The Troll
2009-06-12, 02:30 AM
Also this might reuire you to let me into your WAR guild:smallbiggrin:Always welcome to my guild, Dave. :smallcool:

But seriously, you have professional servers?

Crispy Dave
2009-06-12, 03:18 AM
Always welcome to my guild, Dave. :smallcool:

But seriously, you have professional servers?

servers? yes

ability to use them? maybe

I need to see how much Version is blocking hosting wise.

Crispy Dave
2009-06-14, 12:09 AM
ok I have the ability to host one. with a few exceptions. I am PM'ing you details

Zeb The Troll
2009-06-16, 01:18 AM
Okay, so, Crispy Dave and I have discussed and decided that him hosting a Ventrilo server for me is not an ideal solution. With that in mind...

Does no one have any insight or experience renting a Vent server commercially that would help me make a decision to go with one over another?

Bouregard
2009-06-16, 04:02 AM
If you want a free version of a ventrilo server use version 2.1.4 however be carefull ventrilos makers don't like that and your users have to use the 2.1.4 client.

On a sidenote: Ventrilo is definitly the right choice. I'm sick of all those TS2 braindeads...

Ventrilo offers
-soundquality
-lesser ressources used
-less spammers and channelstealers out there for ventrilo
-As a guildleader: Whoever downloads ventrilo if he wants to join your guild isn't fully dumb and shows at least some interest.