PDA

View Full Version : Giant Man-Eating Clam (P.E.A.C.H)

TheThan
2006-07-26, 04:57 PM
Giant Man-Eating Clam

The giant man eating clam is a strange creature of the seas. These clams grow on coral reefs where they feed on small marine animals that get caught on their sticky tongue. They can live for centuries and can grow quite large; large enough even to devour human sized beings. Since man-eating clams can’t move around they have developed an interesting way of luring creatures to their doom. They grow a tremendously large pearl attached to a sticky tongue like muscle. This pearl catches light, reflecting it. It acts like a lure many fishermen use to catch fish. When something tries to take the pearl or touches the beasts tongue the clam slams its mouth closed and starts to devour its meal.
The Giant sized one’s usually feed on greedy Sahuagin or unwary adventurers. Sea elves and merfolk usually teach their children to stay away from them.

-- The almanac of the sea

Giant Man-Eating Clam

Large animal (aquatic)
HD 4d8 (36 average)
Initiative: -4
Speed: 0 (immobile)
Armor class 17 (10, -4 int, –1 size, +12 natural armor)
Base attack/grapple +3/12( 3 basee,+5str,+4 size)
Attack +7 (3 base, +5 str, -1 size) slam(tongue attack) 1d6+5 (str), bite +7 (3base +5 str
Full attack +7 (1d6+5 tentacle) or +12 grapple
Space/reach 10/5
Special attacks improved grab, swallow whole
Special qualities: blind sight, charming effect, adhesive
Saves: fortitude +8, reflex +5, will +5
Abilities: str20, dex --, con 20, int 2, wis 3, cha,6
Skills: survival +4
Feats: improved natural armor (x2)
Environment: warm aquatic
Challenge rating: 5
Treasure: 1 silver pearl worth an average of 100 gold. There is a 30% chance to find a black pearl worth an average of 500 gold.
Advancement:
Level adjustment: --

Special attacks and qualities

Tremorsense
These creatures have no conventional senses. They rely on their sensitive tongue to sense prey.
Charming pearl,
Any creature that sees the Giant man-eating clam’s large pearl must succeed a dc 15 will saving throw or be compelled to approach the creature, any creature with the aquatic sub type automatically takes a –2 to their saving throws. as the subject approaches the clam it may make a dc 15 saving throw each round to break free of the effect. Once the target is in the clam’s square it must succeed a dc 20 will save or be compelled to swim into the creature’s open mouth and attempt to grapple the clam’s pearl.
The Clam can only use this ability when its mouth is open. When the clam’s mouth is closed any creature that was under this effect becomes released from it.

Adhesive
The Giant man eating clam has a tongue like muscle that can excrete a sticky substance similar to sovereign glue, yet not as powerful. When a creature comes into contact with its tongue it become stuck to the tongue. To break free the creature must succeed a DC 25 strength check. If a creature breaks free of the adhesive then the clam cannot produce more adhesive for 1d4 rounds.

Improved Grapple:
Once a clam has a creature stuck to it’s tongue or grapples the pearl, it attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required. Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The Clam has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a -20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents. A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text). When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight.

Swallow whole:
Once the Clam has grappled a creature it attempts to swallow the creature, digesting it. A clam can only swallow a creature that is at lease one size category smaller than it is.

A swallowed creature is considered to be grappled, while the creature that did the swallowing is not. A swallowed creature can try to cut its way free with any light, piercing weapon (the amount of damage required to get free is noted in the creature description), or it can just try to escape the grapple. The Armor Class of the interior of a creature that swallows whole is normally 10 + ½ its natural armor bonus, with no modifiers for size or Dexterity. If the swallowed creature escapes the grapple, success puts it back in the attacker’s mouth, where it may be bitten or swallowed again. a creature caught inside the clam’s mouth may attempt to pry its way free. This requires a tool of some kind (prybar, or instance) and a dc 25 strength check.

Once swallowed the clam floods its mouth cavity with acid. The following round any creature inside takes 1d6 initial points of acid damage plus another 1d6 points of acid damage each round it is caught in the Clam’s mouth. After its meal is completely dissolved by the acid it absorbs the remains and then 1d4 round after absorbing its meal it opens its mouth back up and waits for more prey, leaving no remains in its mouth.

Combat:

Typically the Giant man eating clam uses its charming effect to lure prey into its mouth. Once the creature touches its tongue or makes a grapple against its pearl, the clam attacks with its improved grab and swallow whole special attacks. If threatened a clam can also use its tongue to as a weapon, dealing bludgeoning damage. It cannot us its tongue as a weapon if it has it’s mouth closed or it has caught a creature in its mouth.
These clams cannot move about and are quite easy to hit however they have a heavily armored shell for protection. Creatures may attack the clam’s tongue, which has an AC of 5 and counts for 1/3 of the creature’s total hit points.
A Giant Man eating Clam is always proficient with all of its attacks.

NullAshton
2006-07-26, 04:59 PM
You might want to add if the adhesive stays when swallowing something whole.

wippit
2006-07-26, 05:06 PM
I'd add a '0' to the pearl prices. something that big, and hard to get, would be worth more.

TheThan
2006-07-26, 05:08 PM
i was considering increasing the price of the pearls myself

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-26, 05:11 PM
I would change the creature type to vermin.

TheThan
2006-07-26, 05:19 PM
why should i change it to vermin? also i forgot to mention in its description that its always proficient with all of its attacks.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-26, 05:36 PM
Proficiency is assumed. And I'd change to vermin because:
1. It's got no skills and no feats, so there's no point in it having an Intelligence score.

TheThan
2006-07-26, 05:43 PM
Ahh I see where, your coming from. I made a slight mistake I read in the monster manual that mindless creatures receive no skills or feats. For some reason I took this to mean that only sentient animals received feats and skills. That’s a mistake I’ll go back and fix.

edit:
Ok I've gone back and fixed that mistake.

Deepblue706
2006-07-26, 06:36 PM
A+

Annalia
2006-07-26, 06:54 PM
Uh-oh. Is it normal that I do not like the feel of it just after starting an aquatic game with you as a DM? Better watch out for clams. :P

It's really cool, TT. Nice monsters.

TheThan
2006-07-26, 07:16 PM
I figured that my players would feel that way. Really I thought up the idea when I started thinking about all those images you see of the gigantic clamshell that opens up to reveal a beautiful mermaid. Well I was wondering how they got in the shell in the first place. That’s when I got the idea.

Hario
2006-07-26, 08:06 PM
if you have 0 dex you have a -5 modifier which means this should have -5 inititive... and for the armor its -5 dex not initivitve

TheThan
2006-07-26, 08:12 PM
i dont know if i did it write but it says that if a creature has no dex your supposed to use its intelegence mod..and i forgot to change it from 0 to --. I'll go and fix it.