PDA

View Full Version : How Much?

Nostri
2009-06-12, 12:53 PM
So I'm creating creating my own version of D&D, yet another 3.75 as it were. Though I'm basing it more in 2nd Edition then 3rd Edition with elements of Pathfinder thrown in there perhaps if I manage to get ahold of copy of it. The question is this- how much can I post of it on the internet before I have to worry about stepping all over copywrite infringment laws and all that?

I don't want to print it or anything, just put it up on the interent for perusal and appraisal. Balance purposes and all that.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-12, 04:13 PM
So I'm creating creating my own version of D&D, yet another 3.75 as it were. Though I'm basing it more in 2nd Edition then 3rd Edition with elements of Pathfinder thrown in there perhaps if I manage to get ahold of copy of it. The question is this- how much can I post of it on the internet before I have to worry about stepping all over copywrite infringment laws and all that?

I don't want to print it or anything, just put it up on the interent for perusal and appraisal. Balance purposes and all that.

Funny; I'm also making a 3e+2e type revision and planning on putting it online eventually.

Regarding 3e stuff, you're fine as long as it's OGL (i.e., if you reference something in the d20SRD, you're fine; copy-pasting swaths of Complete Arcane, not so much. Regarding 2e...not sure.

Yora
2009-06-12, 04:23 PM
If it is based on a d20 system, your mostly save.

TSR doesn't exist anymore, but I think all the rights for 2nd Ed are owned by WotC now. In theory they could make a lot of trouble if you use old AD&D material.
But I somehow doubt they would cause any real trouble over AD&D, that franchise is completely dead by now and I doubt anyone at WotC cares the least for it. But you never know how corporate peons might think, so I wouldn't recommend it.

But if you make it a d20 based game and don't charge anything for it, it should be totaly safe to rip off AD&D for all it is worth.

Vadin
2009-06-12, 04:45 PM
As long as you aren't selling it yourself or reprinting here excerpts from a product currently on the market, you're fine.

Kellus
2009-06-12, 04:50 PM
I agree. As long as you're not selling it, publishing it, or using intellectual property of WotC (like beholders or mind flayers), you can do pretty much anything you want with the basic rule set.