PDA

View Full Version : First drink ever.

Adeen
2009-06-12, 01:20 PM
Today is my 21st birthday, and I have no idea what I want to drink as my first drink ever tonight. So I thought I could get some of the lovely playground's opinions! I'll let you know when I decide! So please, give me some good ideas! :smallbiggrin:

Spiryt
2009-06-12, 01:23 PM
Some 90 % Russian spirytus (what's the english word). You'll get disgusted with alcohol and never had problem with it.

Or you will love it and become trully hardcore drinker.

:smallamused:

Seriously though, good beer is always wonderfull.

arguskos
2009-06-12, 01:27 PM
If you can get Cuban rum, have a really good mojito. It's cuban rum, mint, lime, a bit of sugar, and some carbonated water. The mint and lime ease the kick of the run, and let it go down smooth. It's a great drink, try one.

If you can't get Cuban rum, you can use Bacardi, but it's just not the same.

Miklus
2009-06-12, 01:29 PM
Pernod. Strait up and lukewarm.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-12, 01:30 PM
A vodka martini. Shaken, not stirred.

Lufia
2009-06-12, 01:31 PM
I'd suggest rum as well. I'm not sure what they put in a Planter, but it's damn good.

I'm surprised at people saying they never had a drink before turning 21. I had my first drink when I was around 8 and asked my dad if I could taste his beer. It was far too bitter for my younger self. :smalltongue:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-06-12, 01:32 PM
My first drink ever was a Margarita.
I'm such a girl :smallredface:

But, hey, its tasty!

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-12, 01:33 PM
Margaritas are good. So are Long Island Iced Teas, Bailey's, and Pina Coladas.

arguskos
2009-06-12, 01:37 PM
I'd suggest rum as well. I'm not sure what they put in a Planter, but it's damn good.
Good sir, Wikipedia is there for your aid! I do assume you meant Planter's Punch, yes?

The recipe of Planter's Punch varies, containing some combination of rum, lemon juice, pineapple juice, lime juice, orange juice, grenadine, soda water, curaçao, Angostura bitters, and cayenne pepper.

If so... well, there's no accounting for taste. I jest, I jest, take no offense! :smallwink:

Adeen

I'm surprised at people saying they never had a drink before turning 21. I had my first drink when I was around 8 and asked my dad if I could taste his beer. It was far too bitter for my younger self. :smalltongue:

Hmm, rum could be good, pirates liked it, so it can't be bad right? :smallbiggrin:

I actually accidentally had a gulp of vodka when I was 8 or 9, it was my dad's glass and I thought it was sprite. :smalltongue: It burned and I put it off 'till now.

smutmulch
I'm going to second both the good beer and the mojito- you're likely to like at least one of the two. If you've got a sweet tooth like I do, lean more to the mixed drinks.

mercurymaline
2009-06-12, 01:42 PM
Singapore Sling, Maidenhead, Monkeywrench, Blitzkreig, Infected [censored], Alligator, Hurricane, Carrot Cake, Cheese Cake

Faceist
2009-06-12, 01:42 PM
Huh. My first drink was some cruddy alcopops at my sisters 18th birthday. Even at the age of 16 it wasn't enough to get me drunk. I advise you instead work on acclimatising your body to fine whiskey! It takes a little while to get used to the taste, but once you do, you'll never go back. Unless you can't afford fine whiskey. Then you'll go back.

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-12, 01:44 PM
Have yourself a good microbrew from Wisconsin. Lakefront, Sprecher, Furthermore, New Glarus, Ale Asylum, etc.

Practically everyone on earth will enjoy a pint of New Glarus Spotted Cow.

Avoid Miller if you can.

If you're looking to dive into hard stuff, order a Mind Eraser. They're delicious, but I can never remember how they're made... :smallbiggrin:

mercurymaline
2009-06-12, 01:50 PM
Have yourself a good microbrew from Wisconsin. Lakefront, Sprecher, Furthermore, New Glarus, Ale Asylum, etc.

Practically everyone on earth will enjoy a pint of New Glarus Spotted Cow.

Avoid Miller if you can.

If you're looking to dive into hard stuff, order a Mind Eraser. They're delicious, but I can never remember how they're made... :smallbiggrin:

Incorrect. Mind Erasers are disgusting. Gin, Bailey's and tonic.

As for beer, the only acceptable kinds are Hornsby's and Woodchuck.

Lycanthromancer
2009-06-12, 01:57 PM
My suggestion is to avoid alcohol altogether.

Most of my family consists of drunkards, and it's ruined more lives than I care to remember. Lifelong paralysis, child abuse, drug abuse, prison, death-by-binging, and more.

I have an addictive personality myself, so I avoid it at all costs.

Hzurr
2009-06-12, 02:00 PM
Some good advice: Most beer tastes like moose urine. Don't drink it. It really isn't worth it.

mixed drinks are ok (unless you're a light-weight like me, then you should be careful)

While I'm not a big fan of straight vodka, I like vodka mixed with things. Sprite, orange juice, etc.

(Also, fun side note: If you do something like mix sprite & vodka, don't mix them 50-50. I waited til after I was 21 to start drinking as well, and didn't know very much about it, and when a friend suggested I go drink these two things together, I assumed he meant half of one, half of the other. The next day was very unpleasant. )

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-12, 02:00 PM
double sailor jerry rum and coke - and i say this as a non-drinker. It smells like liquid candy. And it will get you fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Corlindale
2009-06-12, 02:08 PM
I'm partial to White Russian myself (vodka, kahlua and milk). Tastes very nice, a bit like caramel, and should be easy to start off with. A bit strong, though, so be careful - its taste is deceptively sweet.

From my personal experience I can say that it is probably quite likely that you won't like beer at first. And while red wine is now among my beverages of choice, I really didn't like that at first either.

Rutskarn
2009-06-12, 02:12 PM
A coke with like half an avocado mashed into it.

Moff Chumley
2009-06-12, 02:12 PM
First drink ever? :smallsigh:

I'm fifteen, and this year for Passover I decided to take the ceremony litterally... four glasses of Manischewitz later, I'd developed some very strong opinions about alcohol in general and Manischewitz in specific. :smallyuk:

But I don't remember what they were...

skywalker
2009-06-12, 02:13 PM
Incorrect. Mind Erasers are disgusting. Gin, Bailey's and tonic.

As for beer, the only acceptable kinds are Hornsby's and Woodchuck.

Woodchuck is not beer.

I vote a screwdriver. Or a glass of white zinfadel. I know, I know, I'm a girl. I'm aware already, thank you.

Telonius
2009-06-12, 02:16 PM
The name of the drink isn't nearly as important as the quality of the ingredients. There is a world of difference between Stoli's and Grey Goose. Whatever you get, make sure the bartender makes it from the top shelf stuff. It will cost you more, but this is your 21st birthday. You deserve to enjoy it! Don't gulp, good drinks are meant to be enjoyed slowly.

If you're looking for beer, there are quite a few deceptive products on the market. Budweiser, Coors, Pabst, and Miller all claim to produce beer. They should all be in jail for false advertising. Look for craft beers at your local supermarket/beer distributor/liquor store/wherever Utah sells it. Or even better, stop by a local microbrewery. (Troeg's, Legend, and Rogue are all great beers that are fairly widely available across the country). For a first-timer, I'd avoid anything too hoppy or wheaty - try a brown ale or a blond ale. Word of caution: "Brooklyn Chocolate Stout" sounds like it ought to be delicious. It is not.

Wines are a little harder to recommend. Almost the only wines that are sold nationally are from California. There are quite a few good ones. You can be reasonably sure that anything with the Coppola label is decent. If Virginia wines happen to be available, I would definitely recommend Our Dog Blue from Chateau Morrisette - it's sweeter than the usual white wine, and a lot of people who don't usually like white wine like it. More expensive wine does not necessarily mean better wine; you might expect to pay about $15-20 for a good bottle.

Whatever happens, happy birthday!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-12, 02:17 PM
My first drink was Sambucca, and it was good.

mercurymaline
2009-06-12, 02:20 PM
To prevent a horrible evening: When you start to feel like you're a bit "far gone" you should probably stop. It takes a while for some alcohol to kick in, and if you're feeling like you're starting to be done, there's probably more in your system that isn't affecting you yet.

Eat before you go, to prevent sour stomach and getting messy drunk. Drink water before, after, and maybe even while drinking alcohol, to lessen drunken slovenliness and decrease the effects of hangover.

People may try to give you more than you can handle, being as it's your 21st. Don't cave if you don't think you can drink as much as they want. Furthermore, depending on the type of bar, telling the bartender/DJ/waiter it's your birthday may get you a free drink (or 9) or may get you called out in front of everyone and made to do a row of nasty shots. Beware.

My favorite drink is a Maidenhead, if the bartender doesn't know how to make it, one part each:
Vodka
Disaronno (amaretto)
Southern Comfort
Prickly Pear
sour mix

Tastes like drinking a Starburst.

Mando Knight
2009-06-12, 02:36 PM
A vodka martini. Shaken, not stirred.

If you're gonna do that, just call for a Vesper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesper_(cocktail)).

RTGoodman
2009-06-12, 02:56 PM
The name of the drink isn't nearly as important as the quality of the ingredients. There is a world of difference between Stoli's and Grey Goose. Whatever you get, make sure the bartender makes it from the top shelf stuff. It will cost you more, but this is your 21st birthday. You deserve to enjoy it! Don't gulp, good drinks are meant to be enjoyed slowly.

Heh, yeah, and it's even better if your friends are buying. :smalltongue:

If you want something pretty classy, I like a good Whiskey Sour (with real whiskey, like Jameson or something, NOT bourbon), a Southern Comfort (a.k.a. SoCo) and Lime, a Disaronno on the Rocks, and stuff like that.

For a more party-type drink, I actually really like Flaming Dr. Peppers. Get a half-glass of some kind of American beer (Miller, Bud, whatever), then get a shotglass of amaretto (Disaronno or some other brand) with a bit of 151 floating on top. Light the shot on fire, let it burn just a minute to caramelize the sugars (or so I hear), and then drop in the glass of beer and chug. Tastes just like a Dr. Pepper, and it's easier to drink than the other "depth charge" type drink I've had, an Irish Car Bomb (Guiness with a shot of Jameson and irish cream dropped in).

Lufia
2009-06-12, 02:57 PM
If so... well, there's no accounting for taste. I jest, I jest, take no offense! :smallwink:
Eh. None taken, even without that hidden text. You can never get everybody to agree on what tastes good or bad, after all. I don't think I ever had a Planter's cocktail with grenadine or cayenne pepper in it. I definitely had one with goyava juice which was great. Drink more goyava juice, people! *shakes fist*

I really can't drink beer without getting sick. The only one I can stand is Grimbergen. Also, draft beer or nothing!

MissK
2009-06-12, 02:59 PM
Some good advice: Most beer tastes like moose urine. Don't drink it. It really isn't worth it.

What beer are you drinking you poor thing?

As my husband (a former homebrewer) always says - "If you don't like beer, you haven't tried the right kind."

Here are my two favorite beers:

Chimay - It comes in huge bottles with champagne-style corks, tastes like chocolate, and is brewed by real Trappist monks, so it's like you're donating to the church when you drink! Spring for the Grand Reserve (blue label); it's the best.

And, for people who "hate beer and will never touch it":

Lambic - Brewed in Belgium with a variety of delicious fruit flavors, it doesn't taste like beer so much as the most wonderfullest soda in the world. My favorite flavor is black cherry, but they have apricot, raspberry and apple. (100% real fruit)

Both of these are rather expensive, but very, very worth it. Not for getting smashed, but for having a great time. And, they don't cost nearly as much as a wine of equivalent quality!

Faulty
2009-06-12, 03:06 PM
Alcohol tastes horrible unless its mixed with copious amounts of ice cream.

Have a mud slide.

reorith
2009-06-12, 03:13 PM
bourbon! do it good sir!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-12, 03:14 PM

Pfft. Tsingtao.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 03:17 PM
Splurg and get some Good Grey Goose vodka :smalltongue:.

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-12, 03:29 PM
double sailor jerry rum and coke - and i say this as a non-drinker. It smells like liquid candy. And it will get you fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Pancake has the right of it. If you're drinking rum, make sure you're drinking Sailor Jerry's.

raitalin
2009-06-12, 03:38 PM
First of all, congratulations on waiting until you were 21, it saves you from having to drink whatever crappy beer you're able to beg/borrow/steal in High School. My first drink was MGD, ugh.

Someone already suggested White Russians, I'll second that.

Screwdrivers are good, but cover up the taste so well they're easy to go to far on. The fact that they cover the taste so well also makes them a good idea when you're only able to acquire sub-par vodka. I actually prefer my "Electric Screwdrivers" which are 1/3 Mt.Dew, 1/3 Orange Juice and 1/3 Vodka.

Sailor Jerry is without a doubt the best reasonably priced rum. Rum and Coke is a solid drink.

Whiskey & Coke is good as well, though I actually prefer Root Beer & Jack Daniel's. Tastes like those Brachs Root Beer Barrels candies.

There are also a ton of excellent beers out there, though you probably won't like your first one. I find Dundee's Honey Brown to be a good, affordable beer to start on.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-12, 04:24 PM
Your first drink? Two words, two numbers, one slash mark:

Mad Dog 20/20

Now, they say its gut rot, they say only hobos drink it, they say it tastes like cool-ade fermented on the floor of a truckstop men's room, they say it costs $4.29 at most liquor stores, they say that a single bottle will get you tore up in no time fast.

Well, only the third and fourth ones are true. Hobos stopped drinking it when it got cut from 36 proof down to 26 in the 80s. Actually, come to think of it, some of the flavors do in fact taste like poorly fermented cool-ade (peach), so if you go this route, stick to the apple and rasberry, and by that I mean the green and blue.

If the idea of drinking "bum wine" is out of the question, try my own personal first drink, back in the day when some older friends bought me some booze for helping them move furniture -- the Jack and Cook! Take a big, tall glass, fill it up halway with Jack Daniels, then fill it up most of the rest of the way with cherry coke, and then top it off with YooHoo. And then -- this is important -- don't stir it. Drink the whole thing, then make one for your friend, who will tell you that its terrible, so you drink his too. Then lay down on the floor using a dented can of spaghettios as a pillow, and the re-enactment will be complete.

H. Zee
2009-06-12, 06:45 PM
I cannot remember what my first drink was, apart from that I had a lot of it.

That might be why I can't remember. :smallamused:

RS14
2009-06-12, 07:32 PM
My suggestion is to avoid alcohol altogether.

Most of my family consists of drunkards, and it's ruined more lives than I care to remember. Lifelong paralysis, child abuse, drug abuse, prison, death-by-binging, and more.

I have an addictive personality myself, so I avoid it at all costs.

This is probably good advice. But even if you will handle it fine, remember that it's not compulsory or anything. So drink to have fun, not just to drink.

Personally, I'm waiting until my 21st birthday to try Kumis. It sounds... interesting, both technically and in terms of taste.

afroakuma
2009-06-12, 07:38 PM
As a non-drinker myself, I can offer no advice on the question itself.

My only advice would be not to let it rule your social/entertainment life. I have too many friends who I never see anymore because their every weekend involves going downtown to get smashed. We recently calculated that one guy spends in excess of $4000 CAD a year on this lifestyle. I'm sure drinking is good fun, but I'm also sure I can think of better uses for most of that money.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-12, 07:44 PM
Heh. My first drink ever was when I was 2. Granted, it was just a few drops of champaigne, but nevertheless.:smallbiggrin:

Anyhow, my advice on you first drink: get hammered. Smashed. Roaring, stumbling, vomiting all over the floor drunk. Not so drunk you'll die of alcohol poisoning, but still really, really drunk. Then you'll never become an alcoholic, as opposed to the people who gradually get used to being drunk- you'll have no tolerance, and realize what a terrible experience it is.

Anyhow... I doubt you'll follow my advice there, so if you want to know the true pleasures of alcohol, I strongly advise you go out to a nice restaurant, get a rare steak and a glass of nice red wine. Best meal you'll ever have; the wine compliments the steak perfectly. If you'd rather not do something so fancy, get a good bottle of beer (strong, dark ale- none of that Millers or Bud crap. I advise fat tire pale ale.) Anyhow, have that with a decent burger- a big, meaty one. That's delicious.
And if you just want some booze without the meal, grab some nice strong 100+ proof bourbon. Make sure it's good stuff. That's a true drinking experience. The mixed stuff with the juice and sugar and tons of other things is for people who want to mask the flavor of the alcohol, in my opinion. Might as well just do it nonalcoholic.

snoopy13a
2009-06-12, 08:12 PM
Your first drink? Two words, two numbers, one slash mark:

Mad Dog 20/20

Now this is the suggestion of the thread!! Still, maybe a 40 would be a better choice...

True story:
I went to wine party once where each guest was expected to bring a bottle, kind of like a covered dish supper. Anyway, one guy brought along a bottle of Mad Dog :smalltongue:

Mr. Mud
2009-06-12, 08:14 PM
If you are/become a vodka person, I'd suggest Smirnoff Orange... it's nothing fancy and not terribly expensive and I like it... but I don't really have taste, as long as it's good I'll drink it... which isn't a good thing :smallsigh:.

Kendrick
2009-06-12, 08:33 PM
My favourite drink ever is a glass of one part Absinthe Duplais with four parts water and a teaspoon of sugar dissolved in. However as first drinks go, absinthe is a bad choice, I'd suggest a pale imitation like sambuca and lemonade, which is probably easier to get hold of as well.

I also have a love of fruit beers and ciders, which are probably the easiest beers to start with if you pick one of the low ABV ones, at around 7% the taste becomes a lot sourer. :smallfrown:

As for my first drink, Fosters or Carlsberg or something similarly bland and uninspiring...

ghost_warlock
2009-06-12, 09:39 PM
Suggestion: cement mixer.

My cousin swears by it (I'm a teetotaler).

thepsyker
2009-06-12, 09:39 PM
If you're looking for beer, there are quite a few deceptive products on the market. Budweiser, Coors, Pabst, and Miller all claim to produce beer. They should all be in jail for false advertising. First off I just want to thank Telonius for this line, it is amazing.

Back on topic, I would just want to suggest that you mix it up a bit, not necessarily this first time, but in the future. By which I mean even if you find something you like don't necessarily just stick with that all the time be open to trying new drinks as there is an amazing array of different drinks out there. The vast variety of beers alone is mind boggling. As such it might be useful interesting to find someone that is an enthusiast who can teach you about the variety options out there, which I guess is what your are in a way doing with this thread...
Anyway, off my rambling I've always enjoy a nice glass of beer and I'm partial to whisky/ey straight up or in mixed drinks, personally I like Old Fashions.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-06-12, 09:53 PM
I highly suggest beer of some sort. You probably can't handle much hard liquor so you might want to stay away from it.

skywalker
2009-06-13, 03:26 AM
I'm fifteen, and this year for Passover I decided to take the ceremony litterally... four glasses of Manischewitz later, I'd developed some very strong opinions about alcohol in general and Manischewitz in specific. :smallyuk:

After my 4 glasses of Manischewitz, I remember developing some very strong opinions about how my girlfriend was way too uptight for that party, and that her parents definitely didn't care that my tongue was in her ear or that my hand... never mind... :smallredface:

Suggestion: cement mixer.

GW is either a horrible person or badly misinformed. Always, always turn down a cement mixer.

Renegade Paladin
2009-06-13, 03:31 AM
Today is my 21st birthday, and I have no idea what I want to drink as my first drink ever tonight. So I thought I could get some of the lovely playground's opinions! I'll let you know when I decide! So please, give me some good ideas! :smallbiggrin:
Here's a good idea: Don't. Anyone who actually recommended alcohol gave you a bad, nay terrible, idea.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-13, 03:33 AM
GW is either a horrible person or badly misinformed. Always, always turn down a cement mixer.

:smalltongue:

Honestly, my cousin does love them.

Although, he's also the sort of guy who, at a restaurant, will order a fish with the head still attached when dining with vegetarians...and then play with it, making it 'talk' to the most offended/disgusted person.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-06-13, 04:23 AM
Wow, you haven't had a drink and you're 21? Is that the legal age in America then?

Just have a good bitter. Unless you turn out to be a lager person, but you won't know until you try.

Justin B.
2009-06-13, 04:37 AM
A good American beer that you can get almost anywhere is Sam Adams. Don't get the Boston Lager. My favorite is the Cherry-Wheat Ale, but any of the Sam Adams Ale is solid.

Trust me, start on an ale, you will not regret it.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-13, 04:40 AM
Hmm, rum could be good, pirates liked it, so it can't be bad right? :smallbiggrin:

I actually accidentally had a gulp of vodka when I was 8 or 9, it was my dad's glass and I thought it was sprite. :smalltongue: It burned and I put it off 'till now.

If you don't like vodka, you definitely won't like rum. All spirits burn, that's the attraction.

Except Jack Daniel's, of course. That's why we don't describe it at 'whiskey'.

Start at something mild, like fruit cider, then work your way up through rose wine, lager, white wine, bitter or stout, red wine, vodka, rum, gin, whiskey. Work out what you actually like.
Oh, don't drink all of these in one night. And if absinthe is green, don't drink it.

thubby
2009-06-13, 04:48 AM
ask your parents. seriously, they've had drinking experience, and they know you.

not to mention they'll be thrilled you'd ask.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-13, 05:36 AM
My first proper drink was probably stolen vodka from a friend's parents house at age 14. I absolutely hated the stuff but I drained it all the same (damn you peer pressure :smallamused:)

My first legal drink was a pint of Stella Artois that I ducked out of English to go the pub and have because the teachers went there during lunch, so that was out of the question. Despite the fact that I'd drunk before it was still a memorable experience, sitting at the bar without the (slightly overactive) fear of being caught drinking illegally, it actually felt like a rite of passage.

If you have no experience of alcohol then go with cider, it actually has a flavour unlike most booze. You'll have to try different drinks to find your personal preference, and try not to limit yourself because of whether you think you'll like something or not. Eg. I am a massive fan of Porridge flavour vodka, it should taste rank but I love the stuff. Shame it's £2 a shot (stupid ripoff merchants...sorry, ranting).

Disclaimer:
Of course only drink if you want to, don't feel you have to. And if you do; drink responsibly. The mocking you will inevitably receive for spending a night in the cells is just not worth it.

daggaz
2009-06-13, 07:23 AM
Go out and get yourself a 40 ouncer of Nighttrain malt liquor. Preferably in a paper bag. Start from the bottom, and work your way up :smallamused:

Serpentine
2009-06-13, 08:30 AM
Here's a good idea: Don't. Anyone who actually recommended alcohol gave you a bad, nay terrible, idea.You mean the... what? two dozen-odd fellow Playgrounders who disagree with you and think that trying a few new drinks is not a terrible idea? He's not gonna die just because he tried one drink, and the fact that he has actually waited until he's legal makes him a pretty exceptionally good and responsible boy (my parents were trying to get me to taste wine since... the start of high school, at least).

I like Baileys and milk, and Toblerone (can't remember all the ingredients but it includes ice/cream/ice cream, Frangelico and chocolate syrup), margaritas (just last night I made some from scratch with fresh lemon and lime and fairly cheap triple sec and tequila, party ice and a bit of lemon, lime and orange soft drink to add a bit of sweetness (last time I made them they were too sour). Reports were good), and various combinations of vodka, tequila and lemon or lime.
I would like to try this chocolate-tasting beer.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-13, 09:02 AM
Baileys

I don't drink at all and even I think that stuff's heavenly! I'm damn fortunate that they make awesome (non-alcoholic) ice cream and candies, too. :smallsmile:

@V: I didn't realize they grew potatoes in China. :smallconfused: /sigh

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 09:18 AM
Here's a good idea: Don't. Anyone who actually recommended alcohol gave you a bad, nay terrible, idea.

What are you, a communist?

No wait... even they drink vodka. :smallamused:

Seriously,though, is there something wrong with our taste in alcohol?

Lady Tialait
2009-06-13, 09:34 AM
Well, there was ONE bottle of coke for the crown later that day....my brother is a cola hound...he drank it all. He didn't know we were going to drink later.

Sooo, after much fighting and epic witty comments....we ended up just drinking the crown...I still can't take a chaser or mix anything with wiskey..Gotta do it strait or not at all.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 09:36 AM
@V: I didn't realize they grew potatoes in China. :smallconfused:

Why wouldn't the Chinese grow potatoes?

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-13, 09:45 AM
You mean the... what? two dozen-odd fellow Playgrounders who disagree with you and think that trying a few new drinks is not a terrible idea?

Quite so.
Self-denial is not a sign of self control, after all: rather, it is an admission that one is not strong enough to control one's own desires. All things have their place in moderation, and acceptance of this is a sign of maturity.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-13, 09:59 AM
I assume you meant him not me, as I honestly don't care what people put in their bodies as long as I'm not personally inconvenienced by it. One of my coworkers is frequently late to work because she feels going out drinking heavily the night before, and having a hang-over as a result, excuses her from being punctual. :smallsigh: Since I'm not allowed to leave until she shows, this is quite frustrating. But that has absolutely nothing to do with alcohol and everything to do with her being inconsiderate and irresponsible.

Why wouldn't the Chinese grow potatoes?
*shrug* Just never really thought about it before. I've never been especially interested in agricultural geography. Interestingly enough, wikipedia had this to say:

China is now the world's largest potato producing country, and nearly a third of the world's potatoes are harvested in China and India.
Heh, I had no idea. But now I know... :smallsmile:

Quite so.
Self-denial is not a sign of self control, after all: rather, it is an admission that one is not strong enough to control one's own desires. All things have their place in moderation, and acceptance of this is a sign of maturity.

Out of curiosity, then, would you say that, if my self-denial of alchohol was based on a family history of alcoholism, my decision is an immature one?

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-13, 10:13 AM
Out of curiosity, then, would you say that, if my self-denial of alchohol was based on a family history of alcoholism, my decision is an immature one?

I have a family history of alcoholism, specifically in the maternal line. Myself and my sister reacted very differently to this (and, in particular, to my mother who drinks heavily to this day) - she started drinking heavily herself, whereas I swore off alcohol completely.
They're both extremes of reaction. My sister learned to cut down on her drinking, and now she drinks maturely and moderately. I, on the other hand, learned to deal with what is effectively a phobia and accept alcohol. I don't drink a huge amount - I probably have one or two drinks a week, generally after dinner, and the occasional bender on special occasions. Sometimes, when I feel depressed, I have the urge to go out and drink heavily - but I don't. I stay in control of my drinking.

If you really feel that drinking is too much of a temptation for you, and that you don't have the willpower to control it, then that's fine. It's hard, and we all have things which are beyond our willpower. I can control my drinking, others can't. I have other faults which some people can stay on top of that I can't. But being in control of oneself, and being able to drink moderately despite temptation to abuse the substance, is empowering. Especially in a family with a history of alcoholism.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 10:30 AM
Are we talking about a genetic suseptability here?

snoopy13a
2009-06-13, 10:45 AM
Quite so.

To play Devil's Avocate, does Heroin have its place in moderation? I believe something like 25% of first time Heroin users become addicted. Having a 1 in 4 chance of ending up like some of the characters in Trainspotting gives me an excellent reason not to try it once.

I have no problem with those who refuse to even try alcohol due to a family history of alcoholism. They know clearly what an alcohol addiction can cause and there is a better chance that they are genetically predisposed to become addicted than the general population. It is much, much better to be a teetotaler than an alcoholic.

Of course, alcohol in moderation is actually healthy and many people use alcohol responsible. Additionally, many people abuse alcohol on the weekends without becoming addicted or abused alcohol in college and grew out of it without becoming addicted. However, for those who do become alcoholics, life becomes very difficult.

Of the keys to handling alcohol in moderation is to limit oneself to one or two drinks. Alcoholics are people who binged drinked until they became chemically dependent. A person who limits themselves to one or two drinks a day will not becoma an alcoholic.

skywalker
2009-06-13, 10:52 AM

Most people do mean a genetic susceptibility.

I had never considered the alternative, that it might simply be a family pattern. This intrigues me, because I'm adopted. My birth mother told my parents she was an alcoholic, and I have always "been waiting on the shoe to drop" and alcoholism to seize me. But it never has. This is an interesting reason why that might be. Thank you for your new insight.

Oh, and, threads about alcohol always bring out the moral police force. Take a look at the last alcohol-related thread, which has about 3 pages of bickering near the end.

Finally, while the Chinese do grow a lot of potatoes, I don't think vodka is very popular there. I'm pretty sure the "communist" crack was in reference to the Russians... Maybe I just had a sarcasm fail?

I'm kinda curious how it turned out for Kirrik last night...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-13, 10:53 AM
I still can't mix anything with wiskey..Gotta do it strait or not at all.
Couldn't agree more.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-13, 10:57 AM
I still can't take a chaser or mix anything with wiskey..Gotta do it strait or not at all.

No, no, you need to add the tiniest dash of water, or soda, because otherwise you don't release the full flavours of the spirit.

Just a few drops, mind you.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-13, 11:09 AM
I have a family history of alcoholism, specifically in the maternal line. Myself and my sister reacted very differently to this (and, in particular, to my mother who drinks heavily to this day) - she started drinking heavily herself, whereas I swore off alcohol completely.
They're both extremes of reaction. My sister learned to cut down on her drinking, and now she drinks maturely and moderately. I, on the other hand, learned to deal with what is effectively a phobia and accept alcohol. I don't drink a huge amount - I probably have one or two drinks a week, generally after dinner, and the occasional bender on special occasions. Sometimes, when I feel depressed, I have the urge to go out and drink heavily - but I don't. I stay in control of my drinking.

If you really feel that drinking is too much of a temptation for you, and that you don't have the willpower to control it, then that's fine. It's hard, and we all have things which are beyond our willpower. I can control my drinking, others can't. I have other faults which some people can stay on top of that I can't. But being in control of oneself, and being able to drink moderately despite temptation to abuse the substance, is empowering. Especially in a family with a history of alcoholism.

Thank you for the detailed, thought-out response, DI. :smallsmile: For me, the question was purely hypothetical. Well, sort of... Alcoholism does not appear to be a problem on my maternal side, although it could be said that most of my mom's side are lightweights. I remember hearing stories about my uncle (then in his teens-to-twenties) spiking punch at family gatherings simply because he thought it was funny the way my grandmother's nose turned purple when she had anything to drink. :smalltongue:

I've never met my father, know virtually nothing about him, so I can't say for that side.

However, I have a handful of friends who do have a family history of severe alcoholism, and some of them take the route of complete abstinence. Others are more interested in 'being a part of the family' or fitting in.

I've personally never really felt a need nor desire to drink; my only first-hand experiences have been with communion wine at church (of which I no longer partake; haven't since I left home for college in '97). I liked the (admittedly poor-quality) wine, but I didn't feel it was anything special; regular grape juice is just as good for my purposes and cheaper to boot.

Throughout high school and college various friends and some family members (particularly one of my cousins, who I generally consider my best friend) tried to pressure me into drinking when I really didn't feel the desire to do so. The harder they pushed, the more adamant I became in my resistance. These days most everyone has simply given up; which I think works fine for all of us since someone needs to be the designated driver. If I later decide to change my mind, it will be as a result of my own reasoning and design, not because someone coerces me. I'm sure I'd enjoy some Baileys, but since I can get the taste I like in ice cream form I feel my needs are filled. (I really, really like ice cream! :smalltongue:)

being in control of oneself...is empowering.
I've copied this out because it's something I strongly identify with...if perhaps not in exactly those words. Self-control is among the highest virtues, imo.

Finally, while the Chinese do grow a lot of potatoes, I don't think vodka is very popular there. I'm pretty sure the "communist" crack was in reference to the Russians... Maybe I just had a sarcasm fail?
Yes, I'm sure the crack was in reference to the Russians, which is why I asked about growing potatoes in China; since Russia does not have a monopoly on Communism (and neither does China, obviously).

Of the keys to handling alcohol in moderation is to limit oneself to one or two drinks. Alcoholics are people who binged drinked until they became chemically dependent. A person who limits themselves to one or two drinks a day will not becoma an alcoholic.

Some people would consider a person who has 'one or two drinks a day' to be a self-medicating alcoholic (http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/stories/alcohol/exp/5). If someone needs one or two drinks to get through the day, they're probably an alcoholic. Like any mental disorder, I suppose the litmus test is how it's affecting other aspects of their life.

afroakuma
2009-06-13, 11:22 AM
Throughout high school and college various friends and some family members (particularly one of my cousins, who I generally consider my best friend) tried to pressure me into drinking when I really didn't feel the desire to do so. The harder they pushed, the more adamant I became in my resistance. These days most everyone has simply given up; which I think works fine for all of us since someone needs to be the designated driver.

Are you... me? :smallconfused:

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-13, 11:23 AM
To play Devil's Avocate, does Heroin have its place in moderation? I believe something like 25% of first time Heroin users become addicted. Having a 1 in 4 chance of ending up like some of the characters in Trainspotting gives me an excellent reason not to try it once.

Oh, that's easy. Heroin is by it's very nature immoderate. Caffeine is a mild stimulant, alcohol a mild depressant - these can both be used in moderation. Heroin is an incredibly intense stimulant, and thus shouldn't.

If I later decide to change my mind, it will be as a result of my own reasoning and design, not because someone coerces me. I'm sure I'd enjoy some Baileys, but since I can get the taste I like in ice cream form I feel my needs are filled.

I drink the stuff I like the taste of, and that's the way I'll always keep it. It's the sensible way to drink. Bailey's is too sweet for me, so I cut the cream out of the irish cream and just drink the malt whiskey.

(I really, really like ice cream! )

HELL YEAH.

Some people would consider a person who has 'one or two drinks a day' to be a self-medicating alcoholic. If someone needs one or two drinks to get through the day, they're probably an alcoholic. Like any mental disorder, I suppose the litmus test is how it's affecting other aspects of their life.

I think the health thing is a reference to the antioxidants in red wine. Drinking one or two glasses of red wine a day is very healthy. Alcohol itself has little value.

snoopy13a
2009-06-13, 11:34 AM
I think the health thing is a reference to the antioxidants in red wine. Drinking one or two glasses of red wine a day is very healthy. Alcohol itself has little value.

In addition to the benefits from red wine (which one can get from red grape juice), alcohol is believed to have other health benefits in moderation:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol/SC00024

Of course, the key is moderation. It is better for a person to not drink alcohol then to go out on a Friday night and get drunk.

Serpentine
2009-06-13, 11:35 AM
To play Devil's Avocate, does Heroin have its place in moderation? I believe something like 25% of first time Heroin users become addicted. Having a 1 in 4 chance of ending up like some of the characters in Trainspotting gives me an excellent reason not to try it once.This would be why I am never going to try that, or anything else significantly/quickly/devastatingly addictive. I know caffeine's addictive, but I'm never going to take enough to get addicted to it (unless they start caffinating Milo... speaking of which, did you figure it out GW?). Substances like, say, cigarettes, however, I know if I ever got addicted it would be practically impossible for me to get off it, because I have incredibly poor willpower.

Out of curiosity, then, would you say that, if my self-denial of alchohol was based on a family history of alcoholism, my decision is an immature one?I think the difference is, to a large extent, the fact that you have chosen not to do this for your own, pretty well-founded, reasons, but without demonizing it or the people who decide that they are able to do so in moderation (or not, as the case may be). You're not claiming that your self-denial is a sign of self-control and that therefore you are exercising more self-control than the people who do not deny themselves thus, but that you have decided that this is the best thing for you to be sure in your self-control. Self-control self-control.
BUT
That's not what this thread is about :smallcool:
In the interest of contributing something thread-relevant, here's what I did for my extra-tasty margaritas:
In a normal-sized blender (2L maybe?): Something in the viscinity of one lemon and 1/4-1/2 a lime's worth of juice, 6 shots of triple-sec, 4 shots of tequila (I'd had a complaint from the birthday girl that the first one was too tequilary), most of the rest with ice, a "glug" (maybe a cup) of citrussy soft-drink. Mix 'til it's a soft slushy-like consistency, with as few ice chunks as possible.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-13, 11:37 AM
In the interest of contributing something thread-relevant, here's what I did for my extra-tasty margaritas:
In a normal-sized blender (2L maybe?): Something in the viscinity of one lemon and 1/4-1/2 a lime's worth of juice, 6 shots of triple-sec, 4 shots of tequila (I'd had a complaint from the birthday girl that the first one was too tequilary), most of the rest with ice, a "glug" (maybe a cup) of citrussy soft-drink. Mix 'til it's a soft slushy-like consistency, with as few ice chunks as possible.

A simpler recipe is two parts tequila, one part cointreau, one part lime and plenty of crushed ice.

Serpentine
2009-06-13, 11:48 AM
Oh yeah, there's heaps of margarita recipes. I just thought I'd put up the one I got a good response to.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 11:50 AM
Opiates are still used in some places as painkillers. Cocaine also used on occasion as a topical anesthetic, which was its original use at the beginning of the 20th century.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-13, 11:58 AM
I know caffeine's addictive, but I'm never going to take enough to get addicted to it (unless they start caffinating Milo... speaking of which, did you figure it out GW?).
Well, depending on the source, they either say that chocolate contains caffeine (http://www.wisegeek.com/is-there-caffeine-in-chocolate.htm) or they say that it contains theobromine (http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa090301a.htm), which acts like caffeine. According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate#As_a_stimulant), it contains both. So, yeah, it looks like Milo is likely a mild stimulant in any case.

I think the difference is, to a large extent, the fact that you have chosen not to do this for your own, pretty well-founded, reasons, but without demonizing it or the people who decide that they are able to do so in moderation (or not, as the case may be). You're not claiming that your self-denial is a sign of self-control and that therefore you are exercising more self-control than the people who do not deny themselves thus, but that you have decided that this is the best thing for you to be sure in your self-control. Self-control self-control.
I pretty much agree. Although I would add that I think I do exercise more self-control than some (one of my brothers springs immediately to mind). :smallwink: I'm rather comfortable being knurd (http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Knurd). :smalltongue:

Lufia
2009-06-13, 12:10 PM
Opiates are still used in some places as painkillers. Cocaine also used on occasion as a topical anesthetic, which was its original use at the beginning of the 20th century.
"Some" places? Ever heard of morphine? :smallconfused:

I personnally use a cost-benefits analysis of sorts. Sure, alcohol tastes like cirrhosis, cigarettes like lung cancer and McDonald's burgers like cardiovascular problems, but being ascetic is no fun at all.

I'm also pretty sure sniffing gas out of cars tailpipes on a regular basis is more harmful to my health than the occasional drink or cigarette. So, yeah.

Xsesiv
2009-06-13, 12:13 PM
Whatever you like.

Only don't have beer, it's an acquired taste and you'll be put off for life.

Seriously, you haven't drunk at all before your 21st?

Kendrick
2009-06-13, 12:17 PM
And if absinthe is green, don't drink it.

:smallconfused: Can I ask why? A pale green is a perfectly natural colour for an absinthe, I'm all for not drinking absinthe the colour of mouthwash, but absinthe is usually either green or white/clear (or if you have really expensive tastes a orange/brown from the chemicals that give it the green colour breaking down with time).

I'm also curious to hear from Kirrik how the night went, and more importantly what he tried and what he liked. :smalltongue:

Renegade Paladin
2009-06-13, 12:22 PM
You mean the... what? two dozen-odd fellow Playgrounders who disagree with you and think that trying a few new drinks is not a terrible idea?
“Nothing is more revolting than the majority; for it consists of few vigorous predecessors, of knaves who accommodate themselves, of weak people who assimilate themselves, and the mass that toddles after them without knowing in the least what it wants.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. :smalltongue:

The usual caveats about the majority opinion aside, encouraging him to go drinking on his 21st is a terrible idea, worse than drinking in other contexts, because everyone and their dog will be trying to stuff more into him, and since alcohol removes inhibitions, he'll be more likely to take it; this cycle accelerates as the night goes on.
What are you, a communist?

No wait... even they drink vodka. :smallamused:

Not quite; rather, there's something wrong with alcohol.

Quite so.
It's not self-denial; that would imply that I feel I'm denying myself something worthwhile. :smallamused: Alcohol is disgusting, vile, and poisonous to boot, and is the third leading cause of death in the United States. I can only conclude that someone who needs to resort to the chemical assistance of such a substance to enjoy himself has something wrong up top; otherwise there would be no need to partake of it at all.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 12:33 PM
The usual caveats about the majority opinion aside, encouraging him to go drinking on his 21st is a terrible idea, worse than drinking in other contexts, because everyone and their dog will be trying to stuff more into him, and since alcohol removes inhibitions, he'll be more likely to take it; this cycle accelerates as the night goes on.
That there will be other people present is an assumption on your part; it is neither stated nor implied in the original post.

Lady Tialait
2009-06-13, 12:58 PM
No, no, you need to add the tiniest dash of water, or soda, because otherwise you don't release the full flavours of the spirit.

Just a few drops, mind you.

It makes me sick really quickly if I put anything in it.

I usually have a few cups of water before I do any kind of drinking...i'm just kinda odd.

Serpentine
2009-06-13, 01:19 PM
Renegade Paladin, please don't start this again. The question in the original post was "what alcoholic beverage should I have first?" not, "should I drink an alcoholic beverage?" therefore your posts are irrelevant here and only falling on deaf ears. We're just all going to be going over the exact same things. If you must bring it up again, just link the last thread, and interested parties can read that rather than repeat it all over again. I'm not going to respond to any of your "arguments", because I've already done so. Several times.

snoopy13a
2009-06-13, 01:39 PM

Heroin was created by Bayer as a painkiller. It is basically an esterification of morphine that makes it more potent. It didn't quite work out how they planned.

Do you know that Imodium, which people take for dirrahea, is an opiate? Since it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, people cannot get high off it but it does have many of the pharmacological effects of other opiates such as causing constipation (hence the use of it to combat dirrahea).

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 01:45 PM
Heroin was created by Bayer as a painkiller. It is basically an esterification of morphine that makes it more potent. It didn't quite work out how they planned.
It is still used as a painkiller under the name diacetylmorphine.

kirbsys
2009-06-13, 03:11 PM
:durkon: Ach, I'd recommend a good Guinness lad. It be the one human beer that dinnae taste like moose urine.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 03:12 PM
:durkon: Ach, I'd recommend a good Guinness lad. It be the one human beer that dinnae taste like moose urine.

Brilliant!

TengYt
2009-06-13, 03:31 PM
I strongly reccomend you only drink beer (good beer, mind you. As a measure of quality, if you've seen a brand advertised on TV, don't drink it.) for your first drinking experience. You'll have no idea of your own limits yet and having mixers or chasers can be deceptive, especially since alcohol takes a while to set in. Also, for your first few nights of drinking, try and settle on one or two types of drink for the entire night, as mixing lots of different types of booze can be dangerous for the inexperienced. When you have an idea of your limits and you're more used to getting drunk, experiment a bit with shots and mixers. Above all, enjoy yourself :smallcool:

Also, to those advocating not drinking at all, it's an interesting topic but not for this thread. Let him make his own decision whether or not he wants to drink again after his 21st. Nothing better to create an opinion than first hand experience.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-13, 08:26 PM
:smallconfused: Can I ask why? A pale green is a perfectly natural colour for an absinthe, I'm all for not drinking absinthe the colour of mouthwash, but absinthe is usually either green or white/clear (or if you have really expensive tastes a orange/brown from the chemicals that give it the green colour breaking down with time).

You shouldn't drink absinthe when it's green for the same reason you shouldn't drink cordial neat or chew tea leaves - it's not designed for that!
Absinthe, when drunk, should be a milky colour. The whole sugarcube, spoon and water thing? That's how you prepare it: you put a sugarcube in a perforated spoon (or a tea strainer works) and drip cold water over it into your absinthe until you've at least doubled the amount of liquid in the glass. That's how the stuff is, and always has been, intended.
The ones that come milky white are preprepared, and aren't as good as preparing it yourself.

Whilst on the subject, the idea of dipping a sugarcube in absinthe, setting it on fire and dropping it your drink is a marketing gimmick dreamed up by cheap Czech absinthe makers, and will spoil your drink. Just Don't Do It!

Ninja Chocobo
2009-06-13, 08:46 PM
Some people would consider a person who has 'one or two drinks a day' to be a self-medicating alcoholic (http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/stories/alcohol/exp/5). If someone needs one or two drinks to get through the day, they're probably an alcoholic. Like any mental disorder, I suppose the litmus test is how it's affecting other aspects of their life.

I don't have a drinking problem!
I have a drinking solution to a depression problem.

Anyway, I'd recommend a half-decent beer. Good but cheap, that's the ticket. You don't want a bad beer, that'll put you off it for some time (my first was Cascade Light, yeeuch), nor an exceptionally good one, since that'll make any of a lesser quality taste awful. If you were Australian I'd recommend Tooheys New, but I don't know American beers.

Generic Archer
2009-06-13, 09:42 PM
I strongly recommend you only drink beer (good beer, mind you. As a measure of quality, if you've seen a brand advertised on TV, don't drink it.)

This actually doesn't hold in Australia, we advertise decent beers as well, not as many or as often but we do, notable ones advertised are James Squire, Cascade of various kinds and Coopers advertise in magazines and maybe on TV. I don't actually own one so I can't say.

For a first drink I wouldn't suggest it but my preference is Scotch, straight or on the rocks if it's warm. Beer too is good and a whiskey sour is an interesting variation.

EDIT: Tooheys new? you want to put everyone off beer? no accounting for taste though, Cascade premium is good, Coopers pale ale, anything Matilda Bay makes (Bees Nees, Redback) or for imported any of the usual or Kirin

Dane

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-13, 09:47 PM
Water? ..... Stop laughing at me.... :smallfrown:

Ravens_cry
2009-06-13, 10:11 PM
Water? ..... Stop laughing at me.... :smallfrown:
If he hasn't drunk water by now, (with or without various additives) then something is very wrong with the universe.
Those vodka hard lemon aid drinks are pretty much pop with alcohol inside. They are pretty tasty. But be careful not to chug them. They may taste like soda, but they kick as well as a hard cider. Which is harder then most beers. I like rum and cokes myself. Despite what some may tell you, don't get a vodka martini. At least the one I had was like gargling Pine-sol. I drank it, liked it to a degree, but I prefer a gin and tonic. Which is a very good drink, but if you don't like the bitterness of tonic water, stay away.
I can't end this without recommending Guinness, but I do realize it may not be a good first drink. So my basic recommendation is rum and coke. Enough alcohol taste so that you know your not drinking pop, but still enjoyable as a bridge between the two.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-06-13, 10:12 PM
Cascade premium is good, Coopers pale ale,

I disagree. Coopers is only good on tap, whereas Cascade is worse than VB.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-13, 10:16 PM
Are you... me? :smallconfused:

Yes and no. After all...
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/clonewlk.png

I don't have a drinking problem!
I have a drinking solution to a depression problem.

:sigh:http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/kerisrain/other/XD.png

Renegade Paladin
2009-06-13, 10:30 PM
Renegade Paladin, please don't start this again. The question in the original post was "what alcoholic beverage should I have first?" not, "should I drink an alcoholic beverage?" therefore your posts are irrelevant here and only falling on deaf ears.
Correction: The OP asked for good ideas. I gave him one. Wasn't the first to give it to him either.
We're just all going to be going over the exact same things. If you must bring it up again, just link the last thread, and interested parties can read that rather than repeat it all over again. I'm not going to respond to any of your "arguments", because I've already done so. Several times.
And I'm still right. Concession accepted.

afroakuma
2009-06-13, 10:48 PM
Correction: The OP asked for good ideas. I gave him one.

That's a specious interpretation. Under that reading, I would be right in suggesting that he not drink orange juice after taking an antacid, or that he drive on the correct side of the road.

That was unnecessary, and incorrect. There was no "concession" there whatsoever, simply a rational decision not to continue an off-topic argument from a prior thread.

Warpfire
2009-06-13, 10:53 PM
{Scrubbed}

Jack Squat
2009-06-13, 10:53 PM
Correction: The OP asked for good ideas. I gave him one.

You seem to be pulling from his last statement:

So please, give me some good ideas!
However, the rest of the post is relevant to this:

Today is my 21st birthday, and I have no idea what I want to drink as my first drink ever tonight. So I thought I could get some of the lovely playground's opinions!
He's clearly wanting "good ideas" on drinks. This would exclude suggestions such as half a bottle of everclear or six kegs of natty light. He's asking for what people think is good to drink. If you wanted to push your ideas, you could have said milk, water, orange juice, etc. He didn't necessarily state alcoholic drinks only, although it's clear that's the point of this thread.

Serp didn't concede to your opinion being better, but rather said that here's not the place to bring this up. I would argue that it's not possible for an opinion to be right when both it and the opposing opinions are based on sound, logical reasoning. That's why they're opinions, not facts.

Now, on topic, I'll suggest a cryogenic screwdriver. take a 12 oz. can of frozen orange juice, put it in a blender with 4 oz. of vodka and some ice cubes. blend until you get a milkshake consistency. serves 2.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-13, 10:55 PM
{Scrubbed} If one wishes to start a topic on the potentially hazardous effects of alcoholic beverages, they are free to do so.

Warpfire
2009-06-13, 10:59 PM
Oh, and to add something on-topic, I'd go with beer for your first drink. Even if it doesn't become your favorite drink, it's good to have a taste for if only because it's so omnipresent.

Mewtarthio
2009-06-13, 11:20 PM
Wow, I feel really pathetic right now. For my twenty-first birthday, I had a token sip of a light beer. In Las Vegas.

Renegade Paladin
2009-06-13, 11:21 PM
Don't feel too bad; I spent mine in the hospital with the skin peeled off my right arm.

afroakuma
2009-06-13, 11:22 PM
Pfft. I went to work, came home and found out that my birthday cake had been eaten by people who had popped in for an unrelated matter and left. Happy 21.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-13, 11:32 PM
I spent my 21st birthday in my dorm room, pulling an all-nighter on a major research paper. Aahh, college memories... :smallsigh:

Now, on topic, I'll suggest a cryogenic screwdriver. take a 12 oz. can of frozen orange juice, put it in a blender with 4 oz. of vodka and some ice cubes. blend until you get a milkshake consistency. serves 2.
A good friend of mine, when we were in college, didn't really drink anything alcoholic except screwdrivers. They come highly recommended, I guess.

Alteran
2009-06-13, 11:36 PM
Well, I spent my 21st birthday 6 years and 3 months from now.

You'll understand why I have no recommendations for first drinks. Sorry.

Anuan
2009-06-13, 11:43 PM
If you don't like vodka, you definitely won't like rum. All spirits burn, that's the attraction.

Difference being that rum tastes good, wheras vodka tastes like distilled anus.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-13, 11:47 PM
I have a good idea from my cousin (who was born only 3 days after me, yet we are nothing alike, take that astrology) about how to drink your first drinks. Bring all the drinks into a room, close the door, and drink there and there only. That way anything stupid you do, and you will do something stupid, will be confined to that room.
No danger of you wandering town and into traffic or been traffic yourself and *balm* becoming a rather squishy, rather dead, statistic.
Been mildly drunk is fun, kneeling at the porcelain alter is less so, and been stuck in a morgue even less. I know this is off topic, but I have said my recommendations on what types of beverages for your first drink, now I am giving my recommendation on your safety for your first drinks.
Live long and party hard. They don't have to be incompatible.

Anuan
2009-06-13, 11:57 PM
Good advice from Raven, and one I'd follow if I ever decided I want to get drunk. Probably won't happen.

On topic; drink something light for your first time, seriously. You don't want to spend all night downing shots and wake up the next morning in Tijuana with a fat transvestite hooker, an engagement ring and no memory of the night before.

Slightly less off-topic; my first drink was rum punch at eight years old when I poured my father's half a bottle of Bundaberg Rum into my birthday punch not knowing what it was. This did not end well.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-14, 12:04 AM
Slightly less off-topic; my first drink was rum punch at eight years old when I poured my father's half a bottle of Bundaberg Rum into my birthday punch not knowing what it was. This did not end well.

LOL! I can totally see myself doing something like that intentionally at my next family birthday shindig, and then sitting back drinking Pepsi and watching the shenanigans. :smalltongue:

Unfortunately, I share a birthday celebration with my cousin's 5-year-old daughter and I'm certainly not going to be responsible for anything that could go wrong with that scenario.

Maybe I'll spike the coffee with something. Only the old people drink coffee at our family gatherings. :smalltongue::smallcool: I have no idea what would work with that, though.

Winter_Wolf
2009-06-14, 01:18 AM
Difference being that rum tastes good, wheras vodka tastes like distilled anus.

There's a horrible joke to be made here somewhere, but my brain won't let me put it into words.

I have to respectfully disagree about your views on rum and vodka. Vodka may be a vile drink (which I really like regardless), but I'd choose it any day over rum. I've learned the hard way that rum is not, in fact, meant for human consumption, at least not this human. :smallwink:

As to the fate of Kirrik, I am curious what he downed first, but I'm also very curious how long his recovery will take. I remember my 21st, it was kind of anticlimactic, considering I was in Japan, where the legal drinking age is 20 and I'd been taking advantage of it. Still, the Americans made a point of giving me the best surrogate bar experience. Luckily I have a high tolerance for kerosene, er, vodka spirits that is. It was the beer that did me in! Advice: spirits/beer, pick one and stick with it.

RTGoodman
2009-06-14, 01:31 AM
Maybe I'll spike the coffee with something. Only the old people drink coffee at our family gatherings. :smalltongue::smallcool: I have no idea what would work with that, though.

Er, Kahlua's a coffee-based liqueur, I do believe, so that could work if you want to "disguise" the booze. On the other hand, you could just tell folks you're making Irish coffee (coffee with Irish whiskey) and let 'em go from there if they don't know what that means. You can add Irish cream liqueur if you want, since people sometimes add that to coffee in place of milk/cream/sugar.

Renegade Paladin
2009-06-14, 01:32 AM
Vodka may be a vile drink (which I really like regardless), but I'd choose it any day over rum. I've learned the hard way that rum is not, in fact, meant for human consumption, at least not this human. :smallwink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0NPKCANhpQ

:smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2009-06-14, 01:35 AM
Wow, I feel really pathetic right now. For my twenty-first birthday, I had a token sip of a light beer. In Las Vegas.

Not pathetic at all...

A good friend of mine, when we were in college, didn't really drink anything alcoholic except screwdrivers. They come highly recommended, I guess.

Orange juice is already amazing. Adding alcohol makes it simply more incredible.

I find it funny how polarizing Guinness is. My girlfriend's father (who is rather proud of his Irish-ness) and his father feel Guinness is incredible. A couple of my friends feel otherwise. A rousing argument arose between the two, which ended like this:
Friend: "The only way to stand Guinness is ice cold,"
Gramps: "There's no wrong way to enjoy Guinness!"
Me: "Even boiling?!"
Gramps: "Even boiling..."

Renegade Paladin
2009-06-14, 01:38 AM
Boiling would improve it, yes, because the alcohol would cook off long before the water boiled. Just sayin'. :smallwink:

Orzel
2009-06-14, 02:30 AM
My first drink was Jack Iron rum.
but I don't recommend overproof rum as a first drink.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-14, 02:34 AM
Boiling would improve it, yes, because the alcohol would cook off long before the water boiled. Just sayin'. :smallwink:

It would do nothing to the stout taste. And they're right of course. Nothing save chilling it would do anything to ruin it. People who drink cold beer need their heads checked.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-14, 02:38 AM
Er, Kahlua's a coffee-based liqueur, I do believe, so that could work if you want to "disguise" the booze. On the other hand, you could just tell folks you're making Irish coffee (coffee with Irish whiskey) and let 'em go from there if they don't know what that means. You can add Irish cream liqueur if you want, since people sometimes add that to coffee in place of milk/cream/sugar.
Kahlua would go over wonderfully with my mother, and other family members, too, I'm sure. One of my mom's favorites is a Kahlua mudslide.

This is my primary concern with adding alcohol to coffee:

the alcohol would cook off long before the water boiled.
And what fun would that be, if the intent is to secretly get all the elders drunk? :smallwink:

RTGoodman
2009-06-14, 02:41 AM
This is my primary concern with adding alcohol to coffee:

I think you add the whiskey (or whatever) to already-brewed coffee; it won't cook off that way. That said, I don't drink caffeinated beverages, so I can't tell you how an Irish coffee actually is.

Serpentine
2009-06-14, 04:49 AM
{Scrubbed}

Yora
2009-06-14, 04:59 AM
I don't know what it was, but my parents had some half-empty glasses left standing on the couch table.
I was 2. ^^

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-14, 05:40 AM

How do you think a still works, if not by boiling alcoholic liquids to remove the water and leave a higher proportion of alcohol?

Jack Squat
2009-06-14, 06:21 AM
How do you think a still works, if not by boiling alcoholic liquids to remove the water and leave a higher proportion of alcohol?

They actually work the other way. The alcohol is boiled off, and is collected from the top, where it cools off, re-liquidizes, and goes through some cooling coils to separate it. At first, the alcohol is very pure, but over the course of distillation water is transferred over as well (The site I checked info from states that gallons of 15% will reduce to 1 gallon of 75%.

strawberryman
2009-06-14, 06:33 AM
My first drink: A few beers at like 15 when my youngest half-brother was born. My stepdad was all like "here, we need to celebrate!". I acted like I passed out just so he wouldn't force more down on me. >_>;

I do agree that beer is nasty, yes. Still not 21, but occasionally my stepdad offers stuff since I'm close enough. Vodka & Coke was okay, and Fuzzy Navel was enjoyable.

Anuan
2009-06-14, 06:48 AM
If 'Fuzzy Navel' was an anthropomorphic personification of mixed drinks, it would be the huggliest, cuddliest son of a bitch in the land. Just look at that name.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-14, 06:57 AM
Renegade Paladin, you still haven't answered the question of where you got the assumption that there would be other people present pressuring the OP to do stupid things while drink, as this was neither stated nor implied in the original post.

Generic Archer
2009-06-14, 08:02 AM
Jack Squat is correct, ethanol boils at ~70 degrees c (no I will not translate that for those that refuse to go metric) compared to waters 100.

You heat the mixture, the vapors rise and go into a condenser, this cools the vapor and alcohol runs out the other side, if you are patient and only apply heat to reach the boiling point you can get pretty close to 100% alcohol, but it's colourless, flavorless and odorless so there is really no point, most spirits are done rather hotter than this so there is some water and 'impurities' mixed in, these give us the flavour

Dane

Alarra
2009-06-14, 10:40 AM

This is clearly wrong. I know many people that like rum, but hate vodka, and vice versa. They taste very different from one another.

I would personally recommend something lighter, milder, fruitier as a first introduction to alcohol, since I know that the taste of many hard spirits (when not mixed with other things) and beer can often be off-putting until one has acquired a taste for them.

Personally, I'm a big fan of ciders, mojitos, daquiris, white russian, sweeter wines and amaretto sour. Or actually amaretto in anything. Amaretto is rather sweet though, so if that's not your thing. Cider is slightly lighter and sweeter than beer and can be a good starting point if you want to like beer, but initially don't.

And hey....let's all be nice to one another and not argue. This thread is not intended to be a debate over whether alcohol is good or bad.

Lufia
2009-06-14, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't recommend wine for a first drink. At least not one of the sweeter white wines. They're traitorous, you can down them like water and two hours later a nap is required.

At least stronger stuff, even cocktails, make you feel lightheaded way before you've had too much to drink.

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-14, 11:12 AM
This is clearly wrong. I know many people that like rum, but hate vodka, and vice versa. They taste very different from one another.

vodka isnt something you drink for taste - its more about the texture on your tongue

and also - drink RED wine

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-14, 12:24 PM
and also - drink RED wine

But only if you can get fairly good red wine, because a cheap red is far, far worse than a cheap white.

Lady Tialait
2009-06-14, 12:39 PM
But only if you can get fairly good red wine, because a cheap red is far, far worse than a cheap white.

Tis true.

I am sipping on a glass of Wiskey right now. Mostly to easy some tooth pain.

Anyway, I suggest for a first drink Wiskey...i'm a wiskey girl.

skywalker
2009-06-15, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't recommend wine for a first drink. At least not one of the sweeter white wines. They're traitorous, you can down them like water and two hours later a nap is required.

How is this a bad thing? Perfectly acceptable way to say "Hey body, this is alcohol, hi alcohol, nice to meet you."

reorith
2009-06-15, 01:02 AM
I do agree that beer is nasty, yes. Still not 21, but occasionally my stepdad offers stuff since I'm close enough. Vodka & Coke was okay, and Fuzzy Navel was enjoyable.

your male license has been suspended for 100 days. to file an appeal, contact the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives field office within business hours.

Brewdude
2009-06-15, 01:56 AM
amareto sour.
White Russian.
Long Island Ice Tea (prepared right, you can't taste the alcohol, prepared wrong, you...can)

Try the same brand of each type of beer, to figure out if you prefer the stout end of the scale, or the pilsner end, then compare brands of the beer type you find you like.

Bitter, Stout, ale, Lagar, Pilsner are the types that I can think of, pretty sure there are others.

Zeb The Troll
2009-06-15, 05:13 AM
Bitter, Stout, ale, Lagar, Pilsner are the types that I can think of, pretty sure there are others.Ale and lager are no more types of beer, in this sense, than red and white are types of wine. You would not suggest someone try chardonnay, shiraz, red, white, or pinot grigio.

For those interested, this is the difference between an ale and a lager. An ale is typically "top fermented", meaning that the yeast stays at the top of the brew while fermenting, and is usually brewed at warmer temperatures for a shorter period of time. A lager, conversely, typically uses a bottom fermenting yeast and is brewed at cooler temperatures, often just above freezing, which causes it to take a much longer time to ferment.

Telonius
2009-06-15, 07:52 AM
By the way, has the OP been back in, or was he too hung over to let us know how it went? :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-15, 08:32 AM
I would personally recommend something lighter, milder, fruitier as a first introduction to alcohol.
If you go for that, then I must recommend El Picu.

Alarra
2009-06-15, 09:52 AM
Long Island Ice Tea (prepared right, you can't taste the alcohol, prepared wrong, you...can)
I think this would be a bad introduction to alcohol, since it doesn't taste like you're drinking something strong. It's light and fruity and tasty....but there's enough hard liquor in them to knock most people out in short order.

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-15, 09:56 AM
I think this would be a bad introduction to alcohol, since it doesn't taste like you're drinking something strong. It's light and fruity and tasty....but there's enough hard liquor in them to knock most people out in short order.

No joke. Just one of those things had me out for a while. Not to mention that, as said before, if you don't prepare it right it's going to taste terrible.

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-15, 09:57 AM
My friend's friend went out and drank like 4 Long Island Ice Teas on her 21st birthday. Apparently she ate enough to not have the worst headache ever the next day, though she did sleep for about 13 hours.

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-15, 10:02 AM
LadyMeyers insisted that I have at least one (of her own make), in a tall glass. Finished it over a while, then followed it up with some of my usual drink to get the taste out of my mouth. :smallyuk:

This was a mistake.

I had just finished F.E.A.R. at the time...

...by the end of the night Alma was crawling out of the walls...

Renegade Paladin
2009-06-15, 10:14 AM
By the way, has the OP been back in, or was he too hung over to let us know how it went? :smallbiggrin:
He has not, though apparently he survived the night, as he's been posting in his PbP game.

golfmade
2009-06-15, 10:26 AM
Well a bit late but may I recommend a straight up shot of 151? That'll put some hair on your chest.

snoopy13a
2009-06-15, 11:22 AM

Yeah, depending on how strong it is made, it can be the equivalent of four drinks (and it definitely doesn't taste like four drinks). Four drinks is enough to make a non drinker drunk.

Set
2009-06-15, 01:29 PM
Alcohol tastes horrible unless its mixed with copious amounts of ice cream.

Have a mud slide.

Vanilla bean ice cream with Chambord (black raspberry liquor) poured over it is insanely yummy.

My first drink was a taste of beer. I was 3 hours old. Haven't been able to stand it since, including a dozen attempts by beer-loving friends who insisted that I 'hadn't had good beer' only to say that I was crazy when I said that it still tasted like what I would imagine chilled urine to taste like.

The french side of my family served wine with dinner on occasion, but I never really got a taste for it either. (Although a nice merlot, or really hearty red is tolerable, unlike white or champagne, which are like drinking rubbing alcohol, to my taste buds.)

Since the other side of my family is wracked with alcoholism (as in live under a bridge, jobless for 20 years, unable to function, alcoholism, not the mid stuff), I'm pretty happy with my lack of interest in boozing it up.

thorgrim29
2009-06-15, 05:22 PM
Wow, that must have been some bender.... Just saying. Personally, I tend to drink not often but in large quantities (no choice, I'm a big guy with a potent liver, and I like being drunk). My favorite drink is a liquid cocaine à la Sam (that's me).
This heavenly drink is made of 2 parts jagermeister (german herb drink), 1 part Goldshlagger (cinnamon shnapps), mixed with crushed ice and poured (with the ice) in a glass. The funny thing is that it looks like a rum and coke, and people's reactions when they taste it for the first time is pretty hilarious.

I also like strong coffee, either with Baileys or with a maple syrup whiskey we have over here called Sortilège added to it. Other drinks I like are Chartreuse, Porn stars, black russians, hell, who am I kidding, I just love booze in general as long as the quality is adequate.

Telonius
2009-06-16, 08:30 AM
Huh, haven't heard of that one. So basically, a Dead Nazi, substituting Goldschlager for Rumpel Minze. Sounds nice!

Though sadly, Goldschlager is out for me. A friend of mine in college once had such an awful experience with it that I can't drink it anymore. :smalleek:

Archonic Energy
2009-06-18, 04:09 AM

21 year old whisky

Generic Archer
2009-06-18, 04:21 AM
This heavenly drink is made of 2 parts jagermeister (german herb drink), 1 part Goldshlagger (cinnamon shnapps), .

The Problem with this is that i still haven't found anywhere that sells Goldshlager or an equivalent anywhere in Australia.

RTGoodman
2009-06-18, 11:44 AM
The Problem with this is that i still haven't found anywhere that sells Goldshlager or an equivalent anywhere in Australia.

That's odd - after the movie "Superbad" came out here, several new brands of Goldschalger-type drinks came out here. Besides the name-brand one, there's also one called Gold Rush and at least one or two others that I commonly see.

On liquid cocaine - I don't think I've EVER heard of it as something you drink on ice; it's always just a shot. I've also usually seen it as 1 part each Jäger, Bacardi 151, and Rumplemintz or Goldschlager. Of course, I've also seen it as a mix of Jäger, Jack Daniels, 151, and something else, which is probably GROSS.

Bookworm702
2009-06-18, 09:08 PM
Whatever you do, never, ever, EVER get the Strawberry Surprise. I don't know what the heck that was, but it sure wasn't strawberries.

Anuan
2009-06-18, 11:43 PM
That's the surprise! Sorry, it was set up, so i had to...

Jack Squat
2009-06-18, 11:46 PM
Whatever you do, never, ever, EVER get the Strawberry Surprise. I don't know what the heck that was, but it sure wasn't strawberries.

It's got strawberry in it, honest (http://www.drinknation.com/drink/Strawberry-Surprise)

Adeen
2009-06-23, 06:48 PM
OP is back! Sorry for taking forever to post how it went. I almost kinda sorta maybe forgot about this post after a long weekend.

Well, Friday night consisted of Mai Tais, JD wine coolers, and different flavors of mikes hard lemonades. Saturday night I had an Italian beer (don't remember the brand) at Olive Garden, and I was pleasantly surprised at the taste. After that I went to a local club with some friends and (gothic club, so I apologize if anyone gets offended at the name of the drink) had something called "Jesus Blood." It was EXTREMELY sweet, and tasted like cherry and maybe some other fruits and I think it was made with vodka, but it was strong enough to get me unable to drive my car home, so my friend took me.

All in all, I had a good time, and I assure you I won't become a drunk now, but so far I haven't had any ill effects.

Thanks to all who contributed, I actually have read all your posts and learned some fun facts! :smallbiggrin:

reorith
2009-06-23, 07:57 PM
OP is back! Sorry for taking forever to post how it went. I almost kinda sorta maybe forgot about this post after a long weekend.

Well, Friday night consisted of Mai Tais, JD wine coolers, and different flavors of mikes hard lemonades. Saturday night I had an Italian beer (don't remember the brand) at Olive Garden, and I was pleasantly surprised at the taste. After that I went to a local club with some friends and (gothic club, so I apologize if anyone gets offended at the name of the drink) had something called "Jesus Blood." It was EXTREMELY sweet, and tasted like cherry and maybe some other fruits and I think it was made with vodka, but it was strong enough to get me unable to drive my car home, so my friend took me.

All in all, I had a good time, and I assure you I won't become a drunk now, but so far I haven't had any ill effects.

Thanks to all who contributed, I actually have read all your posts and learned some fun facts! :smallbiggrin:

I commend you for acknowledging your inability to drive due to intoxication. Allowing your friend to drive you home was praiseworthy as well, howbeit your drink selection is less than admirable. For shame good sir.

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-23, 08:30 PM
as pennane you have to work through ALL suggestions in this thread

and report back to us with reviews

Adeen
2009-06-23, 09:34 PM
as pennane you have to work through ALL suggestions in this thread

and report back to us with reviews

Oh wow, that will take a while, but if you say so, I will be drinking this Friday again, and will attempt some more of the suggestions and give my reviews.

Oh, and the beer I had was Peroni, which I kind of liked.

As for my first selections, well, I was with my friends and kinda went with that. And so far I have liked what I have had, so everyone has their own tastes.

reorith
2009-06-23, 09:46 PM
Oh wow, that will take a while, but if you say so, I will be drinking this Friday again, and will attempt some more of the suggestions and give my reviews.

it won't take all that long if you became a problem drinker.

Serpentine
2009-06-24, 12:10 AM
According to some people, he already has :smallwink:

snoopy13a
2009-06-24, 09:18 PM
Oh, and the beer I had was Peroni, which I kind of liked.

It's interesting that you liked the beer the first time you drank it. Usually beer is an aquired taste. Next time you go to the Olive Garden, you could try wine. Pinot Grigio is a good wine for a lighter dinner while Chianti is a good match for a heavier entree (with Italian food, I drink Italian wine :smallsmile: ).

Alarra
2009-06-24, 09:20 PM
Unlike many other restaurants, Olive Garden's house wines are actually very good.

Roland St. Jude
2009-06-24, 09:27 PM
Unlike many other restaurants, Olive Garden's house wines are actually very good.

Agreed! Especially the rose, which I'm usually not a big fan of.

Silverain
2009-06-24, 09:31 PM
Congrats on celebrating your b-day safely!

If you've got a designated driver, give coffee cocktails a try when you get the chance ... Coffee with Bailey's or chocolate liqueur is pretty awesome. But the hotness of the drink, and the caffeine, cause the alcohol to hit hard and fast, so drink it slowly.

skywalker
2009-06-25, 12:12 AM
According to some people, he already has :smallwink:

Don't poke them unnecessarily tho...

It's interesting that you liked the beer the first time you drank it. Usually beer is an aquired taste. Next time you go to the Olive Garden, you could try wine. Pinot Grigio is a good wine for a lighter dinner while Chianti is a good match for a heavier entree (with Italian food, I drink Italian wine :smallsmile: ).

Chardonnay kicks Pinot Grigio's butt...

reorith
2009-06-25, 12:26 AM
Don't poke them unnecessarily tho...
whenever i see that guy's posts, i just kinda skip over them and hear the sound of durping in morgan freeman's voice.

pinot noir is the only wine worth consuming. anyone who says otherwise is wrong! and by "is wrong" i mean "has an opinion different from mine."

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-25, 05:30 AM
pinot noir is the only wine worth consuming. anyone who says otherwise is wrong! and by "is wrong" i mean "has an opinion different from mine."

you sir, have just discounted the entirity of red wine. If i still drank, thems would be fighting words

Telonius
2009-06-26, 08:10 AM

Depends on the Chardonnay and on the pasta. If the Chardonnay is oak-aged, it probably wouldn't go as well with a tomato-based pasta. The flavor would be too buttery, at least for my taste; go with a Grigio instead. (If you're pairing it with an alfredo, go for the oak Chardonnay).

JerryMcJerrison
2009-06-26, 10:32 AM
My first drink ever was an appletini, easy on the 'tini. Normally I'm a teetotaler, but it was my cousin's wedding and if I was going to be forced to try something, it was going to be a great Scrubs reference.

To quote the bartender: "This isn't actually for you, right?"

To quote me: "Oh god this is really freakin strong"

I had always assumed that along with the homosexual connotation, J.D. always ordered those thing because they had a low alcohol content. I was wrong. It wasn't that bad after I mixed it five 5 parts Sprite, though. :smalltongue:

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-26, 10:46 AM
My first drink ever was an appletini, easy on the 'tini. Normally I'm a teetotaler, but it was my cousin's wedding and if I was going to be forced to try something, it was going to be a great Scrubs reference.

To quote the bartender: "This isn't actually for you, right?"

To quote me: "Oh god this is really freakin strong"

I had always assumed that along with the homosexual connotation, J.D. always ordered those thing because they had a low alcohol content. I was wrong. It wasn't that bad after I mixed it five 5 parts Sprite, though. :smalltongue:

An appletini, to my knowledge, is one part vodka, one part apple sour liquer and a dash of lime juice. As drinks (especially cocktails) go, it's pretty light as it only totals around 1.5 UK units.
A pint of beer comes in between 2-3 units, most cocktails have at least 2, and I can't remember wine off the top of my head (though it depends on the size of the glass - a small UK measure is 125ml).

EDIT: If you want a really light drink, order apple sours and lemonade.

MountainKing
2009-06-26, 10:58 AM
When I saw the title of the thread, I immediately jumped in, ready to tell the tale... then I saw it was in fact an advice thread, and not only that, but I'm also *far* too late. Alas.

However, it's good that your 21st went off without a hitch. I personally didn't wait for my own 21st to come calling; I tend to be a fairly headstrong person, and when my dad gave me the "If you're old enough to go get shot in another country, you're old enough to have a drink with your old man" speech, I latched onto it like a very hungry dog on a choice cut of meat. That was four years ago though, and my first drink came onto the scene six years before that (when I was *twelve*)... Being twelve, I didn't know what "vodka" was, but I knew it was good enough for my dad... so surely, it would be good for me too, right? Then, of course, I sniffed it, and it was awful*... so I poured milk in to fill the other half of the glass. I sipped it, it was disgusting, but I drank it anyway... I don't remember if anything happened that afternoon, but I suspect it was fun. :smallbiggrin:

However, I would never recommend a "ghetto" White Russian for anyone's first drink. From the sound of things, your friends took good care of you mate. Cheers!

* - My dad drank, and still drinks, disgusting vodka. We're talking the likes of Five O'Clock... urgh. Give me Absolut or better *any* day.

reorith
2009-06-26, 11:23 AM
* - My dad drank, and still drinks, disgusting vodka. We're talking the likes of Five O'Clock... urgh. Give me Absolut or better *any* day.

in an attempt to make vodka even more horrible, i tried infusing it with things like garlic and hot peppers. good stuff, you should try it.

MountainKing
2009-06-26, 11:48 AM
...that's a disturbing mental taste. I think I'll pass. :smalleek:

skywalker
2009-06-26, 12:06 PM

Pinot grigio /= pinot noir! Not all pinots are created equal. What happens if someone orders "frakking merlot?"

Depends on the Chardonnay and on the pasta. If the Chardonnay is oak-aged, it probably wouldn't go as well with a tomato-based pasta. The flavor would be too buttery, at least for my taste; go with a Grigio instead. (If you're pairing it with an alfredo, go for the oak Chardonnay).

Fair enough. I meant as a general rule, I prefer Chardonnay to Pinot Grigio.

Hannes
2009-06-26, 12:49 PM
I suggest cream liqueur (spelling please, I hate that word). Maybe mix it with even more milk. It's yum and sweet and it's yum.

Also, there's this bar in Tallinn, which makes one of the wackiest shots ever.
It has... Spirits, cayenne pepper, rum and about 5 more ingredients. It's one hell of a shot.

reorith
2009-06-26, 04:03 PM
I suggest cream liqueur (spelling please, I hate that word). Maybe mix it with even more milk. It's yum and sweet and it's yum.

Also, there's this bar in Tallinn, which makes one of the wackiest shots ever.
It has... Spirits, cayenne pepper, rum and about 5 more ingredients. It's one hell of a shot.

1. you spelled it right.
2. alcohol shouldn't be sweet. it should be a bitter burning stinging reminder that makes your liver cry when it realizes it is friday. it is fifth o'clock. i bid you all adieu.

Hannes
2009-06-26, 04:30 PM
1. you spelled it right.
2. alcohol shouldn't be sweet. it should be a bitter burning stinging reminder that makes your liver cry when it realizes it is friday. it is fifth o'clock. i bid you all adieu.

Um. Depends on why you drink. And who you are.

MountainKing
2009-06-26, 06:19 PM
Um. Depends on why you drink. And who you are.

THIS. Bloody well seconded!

kjones
2009-07-20, 11:02 AM
My 21st birthday is coming up, and you all know what that means... For a variety of reasons, I've never really drank alcohol before, so I'd like to do it responsibly, at home, in the company of friends.

That being said, any suggestions on what I should try? (The only thing I'm really not interested in is beer.)

(I think there was a thread like this a while ago, but I couldn't find it, so... yeah.)

Jesse Drake
2009-07-20, 11:04 AM
My 21'st birthday is tomorrow, but in honor of Pirates, I intend to drink alot of rum and ask "But why is the rum gone?" Heh heh, 21 on the 21st.

Player_Zero
2009-07-20, 11:13 AM
Spend time with friends, that's all. Partying and drinking is fine and all, but the memories you make with those dear to you last a lifetime.

kjones
2009-07-20, 11:16 AM
Spend time with friends, that's all. Partying and drinking is fine and all, but the memories you make with those dear to you last a lifetime.

The spending time with friends is a given - I've already worked that bit out. Now I'm getting down to the nitty-gritty details of what, exactly, to drink. :smallbiggrin:

Player_Zero
2009-07-20, 11:22 AM
Afterall, drinking makes you cool.

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-20, 11:23 AM
Now I'm getting down to the nitty-gritty details of what, exactly, to drink. :smallbiggrin:
Water, fruit juice, milk, soda, really whatever you've been drinking up to this point. Alcohol is grossly overrated, not to mention downright foul. The world would be better off without the substance; no good and a great number of ills have come of its consumption.

SDF
2009-07-20, 11:26 AM
"What should I drink?" is a bit broad to say anything other than what the poster's personal preference is. Wine? Hard A? Mixed drinks? A combination there of?

Jesse Drake
I can honestly say that I'm not gonna drink to be cool, nor to escape anything. I'm having a shot with my Grandmother, and then one with my mom, then I have the rest of the night to spend with my friends, D&D&D (or drinking and dungeons and dragons)

After that, who knows when the next time I'll drink will be. I live in America, so it's not unbelievable that I've drank before, and it's not all that it's cracked up to be. I enjoy Captain Morgan rum, but the last time I drank at all had to be two or three years ago.

kjones
I've never drank before, but it's something that I'd like to try once, if only to have better reasons for not doing it.

It's all well and good for someone else to say "alcohol is foul", but I really think that's the sort of thing I need to figure out yourself.

EDIT: SDF: I think I'd prefer some sort of interesting hard liquor, followed by wine. But what's wrong with hearing different people's personal preferences?

I guess really what I'm looking for is something that is cheap, tasty, and isn't so strong as to knock me flat.

Like I said, I'm flying blind here.

WalkingTarget
2009-07-20, 11:40 AM
I've never drank before, but it's something that I'd like to try once, if only to have better reasons for not doing it.

It's all well and good for someone else to say "alcohol is foul", but I really think that's the sort of thing I need to figure out yourself.

For the most part, I agree with Renegade Paladin. I'd tried sips of various things before turning 21, turned 21 with no fanfare at all, and only started drinking (lightly and only occasionally, never been drunk anyway) when I was 24 or so to stop making people uncomfortable/stop asking me why I didn't drink.

That being said, tastes vary from person to person (I've never gotten the hang of beer for example, just can't stand the stuff). If you want to try things, go ahead but don't go on drinking something you hate just because it's expected of you. Whatever you do, just don't be stupid about it.

raitalin
2009-07-20, 11:59 AM
Personally I'm a big fan of rum (Sailor Jerry) and whiskey (Wild Turkey). Either straight or mixed with Coke. Rum is also the core ingredient to many fruity girl drinks that are both tasty and alcoholic (like the various daiquiris).

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bartending/Cocktails/Glossary Has a pretty extensive list of drinks where you can have a laugh at some of the crazy names people have come up with and maybe find something that looks tasty to you.

Everyone should try a Long Island Iced Tea at least once, if only to marvel over the fact that a huge glass of alcohol can be so palatable.

I can't get behind wine. It always makes me feel like I should be drinking either beer or grape juice, not some bizarre mix of the two. One of my favorite drinks is a Boilermaker- a glass of beer with a shot of whiskey. Tastes better than its individual parts.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-20, 12:08 PM
Everyone should try a Long Island Iced Tea at least once, if only to marvel over the fact that a huge glass of alcohol can be so palatable.

If he hasn't done any drinking before, then something like this will put him on the floor in no time.

Whisky/Rum and cola are good standbys. Just watch yourself because it's easy to go overboard. Rum Sunrise is another good mixed drink. Amaretto Stone Sours are ok, but they can be a bit harsh.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-20, 12:10 PM
Unasked for Advice
Step 1: Drink in moderation. Aside from nasty physical effects from drinking a lot when your body isn't used to it, you don't want to forget what happens on your 21st Birthday :smallsmile:

Step 2: Reconsider Beer. If you don't like the "bitter" taste, you can try some Fruit Beers (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/9) or Fruit Lambics (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/10). I mention this because hard liquor alone will cut your evening down considerably.

Step 3: Eat. Greasy food beforehand is good, and starches later on work for me.

Step 4: Drink at least a glass of water before going to sleep. In my experience one or two tall glasses of water at the end of the evening will be enough to ward off a hangover.

For a quick checklist, look here. (http://health.howstuffworks.com/hangover8.htm) Obviously, you don't have to do all of this to survive a night of drinking - but it all sounds like good advice.
If you're going to stick with hard liquors, here's an order for your sampling list:
(1) Mead - it's fermented honey, about the least-intrusive non-beer I can think of. Plus, it's delicious

(2) Rum - I'd say a Gold Rum to start; Silver Rums are really only good for mixing (IMHO) and Spiced or Dark Rums might be a bit much to start.

(3) Gin and Whiskey - try these in small amounts. Gin can have an off-putting flavor for some and Whiskey will kill your tastebuds. Since you're IN AMERICA, I'd say try some Jack Daniels (I prefer it to Jim Beam) for your whiskey; it's reasonable priced and good quality. If you want to splurge, get some Gentleman Jack - it's really good.

Gin-wise, I don't have much experience (can't stand it myself) but don't go too cheap here.

I'd skip Vodka entirely - save it for after you know what you like to drink. Tequila is just a bad idea :smalltongue:
Now, once you've tried all of those straight, start mixing. Good base mixers are Coca-cola and Sprite - cheap and they do a good job of "mellowing" the liquor. Otherwise, look up some of the classic drink recipes (Gin & Tonic, Whiskey Sour, Mojito) and have the ingredients on hand.

Aside from being educational (you'll learn what you like to drink) it'll be fun messing around with some cheap mixers to figure out how to mix a drink by eye.

EDIT:

I think I'd prefer some sort of interesting hard liquor, followed by wine. But what's wrong with hearing different people's personal preferences?

I guess really what I'm looking for is something that is cheap, tasty, and isn't so strong as to knock me flat.

:eek:

Good lord no! Don't drink hard liquor and then follow it with wine - you won't taste anything!

If you want to drink wine (which I'd argue against - it is a highly finicky liquor) then you should just drink wine. Get some cheeses. sausages and meats and make a night of it. If you must drink hard liquor too, drink it after you're done with wine.

Now, if you just want a bottle of something tasty, you have two choices:

(1) Get a bottle of mid-grade vodka (Smirinoff) and whatever mixers sound tasty to you. Mix away.

(2) Choose (but choose wisely) between rum, gin and whiskey. In general Rum & Coke and Jack & Coke are fun party drinks - sweet enough for pretty much anyone to drink, and cheap to boot. Just go easy on the liquor to start with.

Gin & Tonic and Gin Slings are also just fine, if you go in for those.

kjones
2009-07-20, 12:24 PM
Good lord no! Don't drink hard liquor and then follow it with wine - you won't taste anything!

:smallbiggrin: What I meant to say was, "My first choice of alcohol would be hard liquor; my second choice would be wine." Not both!

Thanks for the advice, though. That's exactly the sort of stuff that I don't know.

And for those concerned about my health, I appreciate the concern. My friends are responsible drinkers, and look out for one another. I feel that I'm well educated as to the risks, and I don't want to get really drunk in the first place, so I'll be careful.

Knaight
2009-07-20, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't start with hard liquor. My advice.

Mead-Its fairly low alcohol, and is fermented honey. Its a sort of subtly sweet drink, weaker than beer in alcohol content, with just enough alcohol to make it subtly sweet with a texture rather than tasting like sugar water.

Wine-Get advice from parents or grandparents on how it works. There is a huge variety, and some stuff is better than others. If you have it, then go french style. Get cheese, bread, maybe a croissant, with some wine.

Schnapps-I've never had this, but I've heard bad things. My mother had a friend who nearly died from alcohol poisoning off the stuff. The general consensus is that it is sickly sweet, and makes it hard to tell how much alcohol you've had. So this one is filed away under "Do extensive research and calculations to figure out exactly how much is equivalent to a beer bottle. Drink half that amount".

Everclear-Pine needle alcohol. Sounds suspicious already.

Flavored Vodka-Similar to Schnapps, though not nearly as bad.

Getting Drunk-I've never done so, and never even been tipsy. However I have it on good authority that hangovers bear a certain resemblance to migraines. I do get fairly severe migraines and they absolutely suck. If you get migraines you know what I'm talking about, if you don't, then keep in mind the whole impaired judgment thing. Getting drunk isn't something you want to do.

Water, fruit juice, milk, soda, really whatever you've been drinking up to this point. Alcohol is grossly overrated, not to mention downright foul. The world would be better off without the substance; no good and a great number of ills have come of its consumption.

Soda? Seriously? You want to talk about a substance the world would be better off without, then continue talking about it. A lot of people are addicted, and drink multiple cans of soda per day. The sugar content alone gets dangerous quickly, and its basically added chemical soup. Diet soda isn't much better, studies have been done that indicate that using artificial sugars screws up your bodies ability to sense the amount of sugar needed for a certain amount of energy. It is a huge contributor to childhood obesity, as well as diabetes becoming common. It has the same upside as alcohol, it brings a certain amount of enjoyment to the people who drink it, that's good coming of its consumption. But don't kid yourself that it is somehow better, it is just as addictive as alcohol, possibly more so. Nicotine beats it, but nicotine beats pretty much everything.

RTGoodman
2009-07-20, 12:40 PM
Here's a quick list of boozes I enjoy and that aren't terribly strong or potent:

-Southern Comfort - it's a fruit-based liqueur that's got hints of peach and a few other things. You can drink it straight, but for a simple mixed drink, SoCo and Lime (i.e., with Lime Juice) is pretty tasty.

-Amaretto - a nice, almond-based liqueur that, if you like Dr. Pepper, you'll LOVE. It's the same basic flavor, so straight or on the rocks it tastes like Dr. Pepper without the carbonation. I drink it on the rocks, but for a "party"-style drink, you can pour a shot of Disarronno or whatever brand you get, float a little Bacardi 151 (a VERY alcoholic rum I DON'T suggest drinking by itself) on top, and then light it on fire. Let it burn for a second, then drop the shot glass into a half-glass of domestic beer and drink. It's called a Flaming Dr. Pepper, and it's pretty good.

-Beers - I know you said you don't care for beers, but that's like saying you don't like any meat based on just having tasted ONE meat. There are enough different kinds of beer out there that surely there's ONE you might like. I prefer witbiers (Blue Moon, etc.) and Irish Reds (a kind of ale; Killian's, Sam Adam's Irish Red, etc.), but like someone suggested, fruit beers/lambics might also be worth a try. I'd suggest, not necessarily right on your 21st, sampling a new kind of beer (a stout, a dunkelweisen, a lager, etc.) ever so often and find what kinds you like best. From there, start trying different brands/variations.

-Basic Mixed Drinks - Jack & Coke, Whiskey Sour (my go-to and personal favorite drink), Rum & Coke, and all those are generally palatable, easy to make, and not particularly expensive (unless you go for top-shelf brands).

After you've done that, I suggest trying new drinks when you go out with friends or when you go to liquor store, just to see what's out there. I personally can't stand tequila and anything made with them, but my cousin is the exact opposite. I tend to prefer dark liquors (Irish whiskeys and scotch, but not bourbon) over clear liquors (I hate vodka, and gin is something I could only drink occasionally).

Remember, don't over-indulge, don't do anything stupid (like get drunk and drive around), and just have fun!

For more info, HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114631)'s another thread to read.

EDIT: Also, if you go to a Japanese place at some point, get sake! I've been on kind of a sake kick lately for some reason, and just thought I'd mention it. Cold sake, though - can't stand the warm stuff.

Knaight
2009-07-20, 01:00 PM
Also as you have said your planning on playing D&D. If your playing D&D, and alcohol is involved, if the GM is even the least bit tipsy then the session should probably be non canonical. Otherwise things will make no sense afterward for a while.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-20, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, though. That's exactly the sort of stuff that I don't know.

And for those concerned about my health, I appreciate the concern. My friends are responsible drinkers, and look out for one another. I feel that I'm well educated as to the risks, and I don't want to get really drunk in the first place, so I'll be careful.
On drunkenness:

In my experience, there are various stages of drunkenness, which have differing effects.
(1) Tipsy - light drinking over a long period of time. A mood exaggerator, so with friends and with a positive outlook you'll likely be cheerful. Good times.

(2) Inebriated - still feeling tipsy, but with demonstrated decreased motor control (fumbling, slow eye tracking). This is a warning sign - slow down until you're back to the "warm glow" phase.

(3) Drunk - obvious motor impairment. You'll be walking heavily, prone to stumbling or staggering, and you'll basically lose all fine motor control. If you're sitting down and find you miss your glass several times, you're Drunk. Stop drinking booze, drink some water.

(4) Smashed - serious motor impairment and vision/reaction impairment. All of Drunk, but now you're having a hard time seeing things or following conversations. If you can still think straight, stop drinking anything at all until you're away from the booze. Then start drinking water (slowly!). Chances are it's too late to save yourself from nausea (so be prepared!) but if you keep hydrated you'll be spared from the aches and pains of the hangover.

(5) Stupid - never been there myself, but I've seen other people like this. Basically the situation when people pass out on the floor and their roommates have to make sure they don't choke on their own vomit. Don't be that guy.Yeah, there are a lot of horror stories about alcohol, but so long as you keep an eye on your status and don't operate heavy machinery or walk in hazardous areas (like sidewalks next to traffic) you'll probably be fine.

Also: if you decide to do a shot (a shot, no more than one!) then do it at the end of the evening, once all the drinking is done. Be no more drunk than Inebriated at the time, and if you take care of yourself, you'll be good.

I mention shots because Birthday Shots are Highly Traditional so you may be tempted to try one. Do, but not with anything more than 100 proof.

N.B. Not everyone experiences drunkenness the same way. Only time and practice will teach you how you, personally, experience its effects. Some people are, in fact, "angry drunks" or exhibit other unfortunate traits while drunk. Obviously, drink responsively.

EDIT:

Also as you have said your planning on playing D&D. If your playing D&D, and alcohol is involved, if the GM is even the least bit tipsy then the session should probably be non canonical. Otherwise things will make no sense afterward for a while.
Oh my yes - never Drink and DM. I've done it, and it's no good; you lose your ability to improvise well which really harms the session.

Players drinking, though, usually results in hilarity. At least, in my experience :smalltongue:

Telonius
2009-07-20, 01:05 PM
Reposted from a similar thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114631) not too long ago...

If you're looking for beer, there are quite a few deceptive products on the market. Budweiser, Coors, Pabst, and Miller all claim to produce beer. They should all be in jail for false advertising. Look for craft beers at your local supermarket/beer distributor/liquor store/wherever Utah sells it. Or even better, stop by a local microbrewery. (Troeg's, Legend, and Rogue are all great beers that are fairly widely available across the country). For a first-timer, I'd avoid anything too hoppy or wheaty - try a brown ale or a blond ale. Word of caution: "Brooklyn Chocolate Stout" sounds like it ought to be delicious. It is not.

Wines are a little harder to recommend. Almost the only wines that are sold nationally are from California. There are quite a few good ones. You can be reasonably sure that anything with the Coppola label is decent. If Virginia wines happen to be available, I would definitely recommend Our Dog Blue from Chateau Morrisette - it's sweeter than the usual white wine, and a lot of people who don't usually like white wine like it. More expensive wine does not necessarily mean better wine; you might expect to pay about $15-20 for a good bottle.

Whatever happens, happy birthday!

EDIT:

EDIT: SDF: I think I'd prefer some sort of interesting hard liquor, followed by wine. But what's wrong with hearing different people's personal preferences?

Ah yes, this. It is usually a Very Bad Idea to mix different kinds of alcohol (beer+wine+spirits) if you don't know what you're doing. If you must, remember the magic words: Beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer, you're in the clear.

There's good reason for this. Beer is absorbed by the body more slowly than hard liquor. So, if you have a beer and chase it with hard liquor afterwards, you get basically two servings of alcohol hitting your bloodstream at once. Whereas if you take a shot of hard liquor first, it will usually have worked its way out of your system by the time the beer gets to you. Remember, the purpose of the exercise is not to get yourself plastered and end up with an ungodly hangover the next day. It's to enjoy yourself.

pflare
2009-07-20, 01:07 PM
Tequila,tequila,tequila...TEQUILA!!! It is by far one of the best and at the same time most dangerous drinks out there. As for other drinks I enjoy rum and coke.

Jesse Drake
2009-07-20, 01:09 PM
Oh my yes - never Drink and DM. I've done it, and it's no good; you lose your ability to improvise well which really harms the session.

Players drinking, though, usually results in hilarity. At least, in my experience :smalltongue:

That's what we're going for- proving it's not necessary to get drunk to have fun. You can just watch your friends walk right to certain doom.

KuReshtin
2009-07-20, 01:09 PM
My personal choice of drink that is generally tasty, has a decently low alcohol content (enough so that you can keep you going for an entire evening without getting smashed) and is relatively cheap is Cider.

They are usually about the same alcohol content as a beer, but taste a whole lot better. I am one of those that really can't stand drinking beer, and I've tried a whole bunch of them, and they all give me the same sickly feeling after only about half a pint, so for me, Cider is a very good substitute.

If I'm in the mood to get drunk, which happens very, very rarely, I tend to go for shots instead of mixed drinks, although I do like a well put-together Mojito. My poison of choice when it comes to shots is Sambuca (and no, don't set it on fire just because the 'cool kids' tell you to try it).

[grown-uppy bit]
Just because it's your 21st birthday doesn't automatically mean that you HAVE to drink, and you should never drink because your friends expect you to if you don't feel like it yourself. I'm not saying that to warn you off drinking, but please make sure you drink responsibly. A lot of bad things can happen if you can't control yourself with it.
Don't be afraid to stop if you think you're starting to get to your limit.
[/grown-uppy bit]

Other than that, Happy Birthday and enjoy your evening with your friends.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-20, 01:11 PM
Personal Grumbling: Never spring for Grey Goose or any other "top shelf" vodka.

Unless you're having a "Vodka Martini," whatever the vodka is mixed with is going to overpower whatever extra quality the high-priced vodka provides. Don't go with a cheap vodka (it is poorly filtered) but for pretty much every situation, Smirnoff (or its equivalent) is good enough.

Rums, Tequilas, Gins and Whiskeys all improve with price (or, at least, provide different experiences). For example, Crown Royal makes for good Manhattans but is wasted in a "Jack and Coke." Vodka, not so much.

This is why I never order vodka drinks at bars :smallannoyed:

EDIT:

That's what we're going for- proving it's not necessary to get drunk to have fun. You can just watch your friends walk right to certain doom.
IMHO, if you have to drink to make something fun, you shouldn't be doing it.

kjones
2009-07-20, 01:30 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

McBish
2009-07-20, 01:33 PM
First off I saw the word Everclear in this thread. Don't. I say this to everyone. Seriously this stuff is the worst, can cause you to puke your guts after one shot... well ok it was a double. It could be ok mixed but I doubt it.

Secondly may I suggest Sake. I have grown to like it a lot. It is a lot like Vodka and can be good to mix, though you need to get used to it to do it straight in my experience. But the Plum Sake is delicious and taste like candy. They make many different varieties and all are pretty good.

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-20, 01:52 PM
Soda? Seriously? You want to talk about a substance the world would be better off without, then continue talking about it. A lot of people are addicted, and drink multiple cans of soda per day. The sugar content alone gets dangerous quickly, and its basically added chemical soup. Diet soda isn't much better, studies have been done that indicate that using artificial sugars screws up your bodies ability to sense the amount of sugar needed for a certain amount of energy. It is a huge contributor to childhood obesity, as well as diabetes becoming common. It has the same upside as alcohol, it brings a certain amount of enjoyment to the people who drink it, that's good coming of its consumption. But don't kid yourself that it is somehow better, it is just as addictive as alcohol, possibly more so. Nicotine beats it, but nicotine beats pretty much everything.
I'm well aware of the downsides of soda; there is an excellent reason I listed it last. As I've alluded to in the past, my mother is a dietitian, and I paid close attention as a kid. I personally do not keep any in my house, but at least it doesn't cause destructive behaviors when consumed; I rate it low, but higher than alcohol.

I'm pretty sure everyone's already seen me say my bit the first two times, so I'm going to bow out of the thread now.

Pyrian
2009-07-20, 02:03 PM
It's all well and good for someone else to say "alcohol is foul", but I really think that's the sort of thing I need to figure out yourself.The hell of it is, if you have the biological inclination towards alcoholism, you'll find the experience much more enjoyable than if you don't. :smalltongue: It's a good fact to keep in mind. The more you like being drunk, the more likely you are to need to abstain completely!

Pernix
2009-07-20, 02:07 PM
Personally, my drink of choice is the 40, but I'm broke so its whats clever.

You should probably get nips early in the day and decide on your bottle from there. That being said, if you can shell out the cash for a bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon, forget the nips and drink like a king!

Berserk Monk
2009-07-20, 02:08 PM
Buy a gun and a six pack of beer. I see nothing bad happening with that, also, have unprotected sex, start a fire and leave it to put itself out, and make sure not to buy a car that doesn't horribly pollute the air.

Knaight
2009-07-20, 02:11 PM

I'm thinking playing Paranoia on the youngest player in the groups 21st birthday, where the GM doesn't drink could be extremely entertaining. Its a match made in heaven. Plus I'm the GM, and have enough of a twisted evil side for paranoia to be downright natural, although I usually repress it. It promises to be entertaining.

arguskos
2009-07-20, 02:13 PM
EDIT: Also, if you go to a Japanese place at some point, get sake! I've been on kind of a sake kick lately for some reason, and just thought I'd mention it. Cold sake, though - can't stand the warm stuff.
HELLS YES. This stuff is glorious, esp cold. Warm sake is vomit inducing, don't drink it. Ever.

Oh, and for sake fans, try a Black Samurai sometime. It's sake and soy sauce. Sounds nasty, right? Well, it is. It's worth trying once though. :smallamused:

@OP: I personally enjoy sake, some darker beers (trust me, just cause you don't like one beer doesn't mean you won't like any, beer comes in hundreds of varieties, experiment), and a little hard stuff (mostly vodka, though I don't recommend it to kick off with). Really, anything can be good, you just have to have an open mind and be willing to try things. Oh, and have someone more experienced there to watch out for you and make sure you don't do something stupid. Always a good plan.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-20, 02:29 PM
Meh, sake has too subtle a flavor for me; 'course, I'm a whiskey drinker by choice :smallbiggrin:

That said, I have a big ol' bottle of Gekkeikan that's been staring me in the face for awhile now. Gotta finish it sometime :smallamused:

Oh! Food!

Pairing alcohol with food is a good idea. Whiskey goes well with red meats and fried food; sake goes well with fish (sushi, ideally).

I don't know about rum - my inclination is something with a strong sauce or spicing. Gin... well, it's pretty light, so it could go with anything, I guess.

That's straight, mind you; food pairings might change depending on the mixer used.

arguskos
2009-07-20, 02:32 PM
Meh, sake has too subtle a flavor for me; 'course, I'm a whiskey drinker by choice :smallbiggrin:

That said, I have a big ol' bottle of Gekkeikan that's been staring me in the face for awhile now. Gotta finish it sometime :smallamused:

Oh! Food!

Pairing alcohol with food is a good idea. Whiskey goes well with red meats and fried food; sake goes well with fish (sushi, ideally).

I don't know about rum - my inclination is something with a strong sauce or spicing. Gin... well, it's pretty light, so it could go with anything, I guess.

That's straight, mind you; food pairings might change depending on the mixer used.
Not as much as you might think. I've found that one fun way to mix-n-match is to have a big buffet style party with lots of kinds of food (stew, soup, sandwiches, pizza, burgers, get some variety in here) and a good selection of alcohols and mixers. Then, just play about. Have half-glasses of drinks while you munch on something, then something else, then another thingy.

It's a fun way to pass your time, and not too bad for the eating/drinking either. :smallamused:

skywalker
2009-07-20, 06:35 PM
Jack and Coke!

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-07-20, 08:39 PM
Chartreuse is sublimity in a bottle. If you can find it, I'd absolutely recommend it.

Oracle Hunter: Heh, Gekkeikan is great. I have a lot of fond memories with the stuff.

Coidzor
2009-07-20, 08:49 PM
One of my friends was trying this recently. http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink8076.html

He then proceeded to mix it with some Mtn Dew. Was supposed to be mixed with 7-up though.

Another friend suggests watermelon vodka(smirnoff, I think) and mountain dew.

Haven
2009-07-20, 09:08 PM
I started with wine, but then, I was in Italy when I had my first sips (aside from some beer, which I didn't like at the time, though corona with lime is quite nice). So if you have decent wine available to you I'd go for it.

Otherwise, Bailey's with milk is always excellent. But it's pretty strong for your first time. Jack with Coke is also a good starting point, as it basically tastes like, well, coke.

Jack Squat
2009-07-21, 04:52 PM
I have a suggestion, keep a friend over who won't be drinking. Especially if this is your first real time consuming alcohol, you don't know how much of a lightweight you might be.

I know someone who got horrendously drunk and can't remember anything off of 4 wine coolers, which doesn't even begin to buzz some people. This is why it's good to have a safety net of sorts...if for nothing else than so you don't end up grabbing your keys or drunk texting.

However, onto the drinks. I actually suggest getting some of the fruity "wine cooler" drinks...such as Bacardi O3, Those flavored Smirnoffs, or the like. They're not really anymore alcoholic than beer, and you can't taste the alcohol. This is probably one of those things that it's better to start off small rather than have 3 pints of mead and waking up in a boat off the coast of England with smoldering villages dotting the coast line.

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-21, 05:18 PM
Recipe:

1. Take one standard-sized (70cl) bottle white rum and pour into a large jug.

2. Take eight bird-eye chilli peppers and cut into quarters.

3. Put quartered chilli peppers (seeds and all) into jug with rum.

4. Cover jug with cloth and leave in cool, dark place for three days.

5. Strain, and serve. Delicious!

EDIT: If made correctly, the resultant liquid should be a light golden colour. Tastes best sipped straight, served refrigerated. Can also be used in cooking.

YPU
2009-07-21, 05:27 PM
Start a journey trough the history of alcohol working in chronological order?

Froogleyboy
2009-07-21, 05:33 PM
Strawberry martini with an onion

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-21, 05:34 PM
Strawberry martini with an onion

Surely sir you mean an olive?

KerfuffleMach2
2009-07-21, 09:11 PM
I gotta say, beer is a good starting point. And there's such a wide variety of beers out there, you will find one you like.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-21, 09:36 PM
Surely sir you mean an olive?

No, I never get olives, They have these little bitty baby onions

Flame of Anor
2009-07-22, 12:41 PM
A coke with like half an avocado mashed into it.

:smallconfused: WAAAAT :smallconfused:

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-22, 01:51 PM

Whiskey, I find, is best served to you in a living room armchair with erudite companions who also appreciate a good malt.

Shikton
2009-07-22, 01:54 PM
Whiskey, I find, is best served to you in a living room armchair with erudite companions who also appreciate a good malt.

Whiskey is best NOT served at all :smalltongue: Trying really hard to like that stuff, but I keep getting that damned whiskeyface like old drunks have every time I try to drink it. Bah! It looks and smells so good though.

My vote goes to beer! Then Bacardi+coke+lemons.

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-22, 02:06 PM
Whiskey is best NOT served at all :smalltongue: Trying really hard to like that stuff, but I keep getting that damned whiskeyface like old drunks have every time I try to drink it. Bah! It looks and smells so good though.

My vote goes to beer! Then Bacardi+coke+lemons.

What whiskey are you drinking?

Shikton
2009-07-22, 02:16 PM
I've tried tons of different ones, and none have been good. Been trying cognac lately, to sort of ease into it, but that's not working either. =/

Damnit! I have chest hair but can't drink whisky, where's the man in that??

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-22, 02:19 PM
I've tried tons of different ones, and none have been good. Been trying cognac lately, to sort of ease into it, but that's not working either. =/

Drinking cognac and brandy won't ease you into whiskey. If you really want to train yourself to like it, drink it with lots of ice and gradually decrease the amount.
Irish whiskey is smoother than scotch whiskey, and also smoother than many bourbons. Japanese Yamakaza whiskey is also very smooth, and suitable for beginners. Avoid anything described as having a rich, smoky or peaty flavour and instead aim for delicate flavours.

Shikton
2009-07-22, 02:21 PM
Had a go at Jameson, because the Thirsty Traveler on Travel Channel recommended it for n00bs =P Didn't do the trick.

I've heard it actually tastes MORE when cold, that's not the case?

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-22, 02:28 PM
Had a go at Jameson, because the Thirsty Traveler on Travel Channel recommended it for n00bs =P Didn't do the trick.

I've heard it actually tastes MORE when cold, that's not the case?

Jameson is fairly mild.

Whiskey doesn't taste more when cold, it tastes more when it has a little water added, as that releases more of the flavour. However, if yet more water is added (say, from melting ice cubes) then it starts to be diluted.

Try Glenmorangie. It's scotch malt, but it's mellow. Or Tyrconnell, if you can find it.

You might also consider trying whiskey and soda.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-22, 02:30 PM

Have you been drinking whiskey (and whisky) straight? Those tend to be rather strongly flavored - there is no shame in drinking them with seltzer or flat water.

If you want something to drink straight, try some good old American Bourbon - Gentleman Jack is a fine sippin' bourbon.

EDIT:
Meh, ninja'd.

Say, how hard is it to get Bourbon outside of the 'states?

Shikton
2009-07-22, 02:33 PM
Yeah, been drinking it straight. I even tried doing shots. At that time I was drunk though.

Got some Glenfiddich or whatever the name is here. Undrinkable!

EDIT: I can probably get bourbon here. We can order pretty much everything from the liqour store.

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-22, 02:49 PM
Say, how hard is it to get Bourbon outside of the 'states?

Easy. I'm partial to Bulleit and Knob Creek bourbons myself.

Got some Glenfiddich or whatever the name is here. Undrinkable!

Nothing wrong with Glenfiddich. Sticks in the throat a bit though.

Currently, my liquor shelf holds:
Isle of Jura scotch malt
Glenmorangie scotch malt
Tyrconnel irish malt
Locke's irish malt
Cutty Sark blended scotch
Cumin & dill flavoured akvavit
Cointreau
Chilli rum

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-22, 02:52 PM
Easy. I'm partial to Bulleit and Knob Creek bourbons myself.
Good to know :smallbiggrin:

I just wish it was as easy to get unfiltered whisky in the 'states. A friend of mine brought some back from a trip - delicious!

Can't remember the name, of course, but he did say that some Customs regulation kept it from being imported.

Shikton
2009-07-22, 02:57 PM
I (think I) have: Glenfiddich, Jameson, Absolut Vodka, Braastad (cognac), some polish vodka?, Chill Out (red wine) Rosemount (white wine, in da fridge) and of course a bottle of clear Havana Club.

EDIT: Lacking something crucial. Beer.

Totally Guy
2009-07-22, 02:58 PM
Has anyone seen that Jack Daniels advert where they spend entirly too long talking about the slow pace of life in their town?

It's lookes like some kind of charity appeal. "Please do your bit to support our poor town". Well that's one way to feel good about drinking.

RTGoodman
2009-07-22, 02:59 PM
Speaking of whiskey (or, more specifically, Scotch), has anyone ever tried The Balvenie? Two of my friends and I are thinking of buying a bottle of it* for about $65 that's from their 15-year aged collection, but by the date on the bottle at the ABC Store, it's actually almost TWENTY years old. I've never really heard much about it, so I just wondered if it's particularly good or bad.

*The plan is to split the cost, but not open it until one of us either gets married or dies.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-22, 03:07 PM
The worst thing I ever did to my brain was a jam jar half full of Canadian whisky, and half full a ginger ale. Hardly any alcohol taste so my first instinct was to guzzle it. Stupid, stupid. It made me, very, very, sleepy. Not a bad hangover though, the worst was getting drunk for the first time off of Guinness. Lord, my head was a-pounding. A rose from a local vinyard I have to say was my favourite wine ever. It didn't give me a headache like the others did, and it went LOVELY with pasta and oyster tomato bolognese. Just swirled around enhancing the flavours, while cleansing the palate after. Beautiful stuff.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-07-22, 03:14 PM
The worst thing I ever did to my brain was a jam jar half full of Canadian whisky, and half full a ginger ale. Hardly any alcohol taste so my first instinct was to guzzle it. Stupid, stupid. It made me, very, very, sleepy.
Ah, a fine combination of quick consumption and carbonation; it makes for a rapid intake of that lovely poison.

I may have to try that with some cheap bourbon sometime.

Anyone got a good rotgut recommendation? I usually default to Jim Beam, but I know I can get cheaper :smallbiggrin:

Shikton
2009-07-22, 03:15 PM
<snip> A rose from a local vinyard I have to say was my favourite wine ever. It didn't give me a headache like the others did, and it went LOVELY with pasta and oyster tomato bolognese. Just swirled around enhancing the flavours, while cleansing the palate after. Beautiful stuff.

And that's what the right wine+food combination does. God, I wish I was good at knowing what to drink to food. It's an art.

RTGoodman
2009-07-22, 03:19 PM
Anyone got a good rotgut recommendation? I usually default to Jim Beam, but I know I can get cheaper :smallbiggrin:

It might not be cheaper (haven't check the price), but you can now buy "moonshine" legally at the liquor stores around here. It's made by Junior Johnson, one of the original NASCAR drivers (and, thus, originally a moonshine runner), and it's ROUGH. Like, one of my friends drinks a LOT of whiskeys, bourbons, scotches, and stuff like that, but he can barely take a shot of the Midnight Moon (http://www.piedmontdistillers.com/midnightmoon/main.php) without scrunching up his face and yelling "Woo-wee!" :smallamused:

HellfireLover
2009-07-22, 03:23 PM
Being a heathen sort, I like my Jim Beam, straight where possible, and tend to take my whisky with some Irn-Bru, but I'll usually default to a brandy and ginger - or Remy Martin straight, if you're offering.

I have to admit to being VERY partial to Glenfiddich, having done the distillery tour. Oh, the 21 year old Glenfiddich is delish. They also serve a Glenfiddich whisky liqueur, which is not widely available. Yum.

And I'll take the Cairngorm Brewery's Black Gold over Guinness any day. :smallbiggrin:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-07-22, 04:34 PM
Ah, a fine combination of quick consumption and carbonation; it makes for a rapid intake of that lovely poison.

I may have to try that with some cheap bourbon sometime.

In Maryland we have a plastic handle whiskey called "Kentucky Gentlemen", which is pretty awful. I'd go with MD 20/20 or Night train though.