PDA

View Full Version : Stronger Holy water (?)

Cicciograna
2009-06-12, 02:20 PM
In A&EG, page 137, the description of the Testing chalice says that the color of the chalice becomes shiny silver when holy water is poured into it. The note reagrding this color puzzled me, as it says that

The stronger the holy water, the more reflective the glass.

Why, are there different gradation of power of holy water?

Quoting from SRD:

A direct hit by a flask of holy water deals 2d4 points of damage to an undead creature or an evil outsider. Each such creature within 5 feet of the point where the flask hits takes 1 point of damage from the splash.

Are there other sources in which stronger holy water is descripted?

BigPapaSmurf
2009-06-12, 02:28 PM
I'd say this refers to diluted Holy Water, the 2d4 number is the pure(strong stuff)

Edit: Though this is D&D and you are encouraged to make **** up...How about a slimy/sticky holy water which adheres to the target..

As for stronger stuff I'd say that only extreme creatures could make it(non-PC types) such as planar/demi-gods or maybe someone like the king of the elves might know a trick or two.

Or just use the bile of an infant sandworm of Arrakis.

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 02:32 PM
well one would think that a higher level cleric creating holy water would be more powerful maybe the 2d4 dmg is from mass produced holy water (thus made by lower level mages to get money) and if a level 20 cleric made some then it would be more potent?

maybe a metamagic feat can boost its effects? like i think empowered does 1.5 times dmg maybe if you made holy water with that the water will do 2d4 X 1.5 ?

although the spell doesn't have random varibles the product does... hmm

Gerrtt
2009-06-12, 02:50 PM
I thought I saw rules somewhere once for enhanced alchemical items (stronger alchemists fire, acid flasks, etc).

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use similar rules for crafting holy water...use the craft skill in conjunction with the spell supplementing the magic with naturally divine ingredients or some such.

Also...perhaps this warrants the researching of a new divine spell "Greater Bless Water" or something.

daggaz
2009-06-12, 02:55 PM
Just house rule it... holy water and alchemy and such are so underpowered anyhow, it would really just help the game if you introduce a mechanic for making stronger items. Just make sure its hard enough to make them is all..

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 02:55 PM
it would help if a party hand anti-undead grenades that did more than 2d4 dmg or had more properties such as a cleric throws a holy water grenade and it also gives a turning attemp without the cleric having the use one of his

Hey kids! new and improved holy water gernades now stuffed full of turning power :D (or rubuking power)

PrismaticPIA
2009-06-12, 03:01 PM
Do that, and someone will find a way to use them with DMM: Persist.

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 03:03 PM
actually with the up comming game i think i'll let the cleric do things like that
:3 i just have to fine tune it so its fair

quick_comment
2009-06-12, 03:06 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Augmented_Alchemy

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 03:10 PM
hmm cool, but i think i'll also add in if a cleric gives up two uses of turn/rebuke undead then the holy water will have that effect (for whoever throws it) of course the cost will be higher and for the super holy water

also i think a cleric should use wis not int while doing that

*edit*

of course i'm thinking more magical than alchemic (is that even a word O_o)

JonestheSpy
2009-06-12, 06:53 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Augmented_Alchemy

Pretty cool, but seems awfully low power for an Epic feat. I'd say just add that +20 DC check for making items, and let anyone skilled enough do so.

Set
2009-06-12, 07:04 PM
Some sort of special training that allows a Cleric to Empower or Maximize Bless Water would be amusing.

And a higher level spell that allowed the creation of more potent holy water eruptions, either as spheres of water, holy rains or geysers, would be neat.

Bonus points if the spell is called Holy Water of Antioch or something...

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 07:30 PM
wow a cleric based on holy water and healing spells hmmmm of course the oposite will be harm spells an unholy water :p

hmmm i think i will make this sometime and put it on the homebrew section (along with a modified spell list)

PId6
2009-06-12, 08:04 PM
Edit: Though this is D&D and you are encouraged to make **** up...How about a slimy/sticky holy water which adheres to the target..
Corrosive Holy Water - this holy water really knows how to burn
Explosive Holy Water - holy water that goes boom when in contact with air
Animated Holy Water - living holy water that jumps at undead
Expanding Holy Water - holy water that keeps growing until it consumes the world
Glowing Holy Water - it glows; nothing more, nothing less
Talking Holy Water - holy water that sermonizes anyone you throw it at
Consumable Holy Water - holy water that tastes like sprite
Illusory Holy Water - holy water that vanishes on contact with enemy
Deus Ex Machina Holy Water - holy water that opens portal to celestial realms which summons infinite hordes of solars to battle enemies for you

Get your new and improved holy waters now! If you act fast, you'll get a 25% discount and a bonus to your next purchase.

Was I the only one that thought of this when I read that quote? :smallconfused:

JonestheSpy
2009-06-12, 08:06 PM
And a higher level spell that allowed the creation of more potent holy water eruptions, either as spheres of water, holy rains or geysers, would be neat.

Speaking of which:

A Pope has a Water Cannon....It is a Water Cannon.

He fires Holy-Water from it....It is a Holy-Water Cannon.

He Blesses it....It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.

He Blesses the Hell out of it....It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.

It leaks....It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.

He makes it official....It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.

Batman and Robin arrive....He shoots them.

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 08:21 PM
lol a 3.5 cleric door to door salesman... O_O i wouldn't want to say no... to afraid of clericzilla :(

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-12, 09:30 PM
Though this is D&D and you are encouraged to make **** up.
And charge the PC's for it!

How about a slimy/sticky holy water which adheres to the target..

Plus if you think of ****, someone else probably beat you to it, a long time ago...

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/holywater.htm

Renegade Paladin
2009-06-12, 10:45 PM
Some sort of special training that allows a Cleric to Empower or Maximize Bless Water would be amusing.

Holy storm, cleric 3/paladin 3, Spell Compendium.

Mewtarthio
2009-06-12, 11:51 PM
He makes it official....It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.

I find that far more amusing than I really should.

Reminds me of that epic (not in the lvl 21+ sense) "Army of Commoners" campaign journal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3373541&postcount=233). :smallamused:

Maerok
2009-06-12, 11:53 PM
Epic Spell: Holy Water Ocean.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-13, 12:03 AM
Reminds me of that epic (not in the lvl 21+ sense) "Army of Commoners" campaign journal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3373541&postcount=233). :smallamused:

RESISTING...URGE...TO READ...THE ENTIRE THING...FOR THE SECOND TIME THIS WEEK...

Cicciograna
2009-06-13, 06:41 AM
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/holywater.htm
This is nice.
I like the idea of applying metamagic feats to holy water. A homebrewed more potent version of holy water could deal more than 2d4, or have some other side effect, such as paralizing an undead or sort...

Fishy
2009-06-13, 07:12 AM
I still want a Holy Water Elemental.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-13, 07:19 AM

12d8*Divine Caster level explosive damage, if you can count to three (Not two, unless proceeded by three, you shall not count to four, and five is completely out of the question.) before throwing it, and have a convient quartet of bards nearby.

hamishspence
2009-06-13, 07:22 AM
Stormwrack has something fairly close to being an unholy water elemental- Caller from the Deeps, Always Neutral Evil and very dangerous.

MM IV's Waterveiled Assassin is pretty similar.

Set
2009-06-13, 10:46 AM
Sword & Sorcery's Player's Guide to Clerics & Druids had variant holy water types for each of the setting's dieties (and variant unholy water types as well). The god of destruction's unholy water could reduce hardness of items it was splashed upon (to make it easier to sunder / destroy), while the goddess of healing's holy water could cleanse sickened or fatigued conditions or remove some nonlethal damage, IIRC. Each of these sorts of holy or unholy water required a priest to perform some sort of special rituals and use a 'Craft: Theurgy' skill roll. It was kind of a neat concept.

Holy Water is definitely an untapped resource in the core game, there's lots of potential to mix it up.

(Even that sad Augmented Alchemy feat doesn't really feel terribly 'epic,' and could probably be buffed up, or made non-Epic and left as is.)

Fishy
2009-06-13, 11:24 AM
And you can turn a Water Elemental into a Necromental.

But going back to vials of liquid, there's the Alchemist Savant prestige class from Magic of Eberron- Among other things, you get the ability to potion-ize offensive spells, and combine those with alchemical splash weapons and suchlike.

If holy water counted as an alchemical substance... and *especially* if you could get your DM to let you qualify with divine spellcasting and some sort of hypothetical 'Favored in Church X' feat...