PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Knight

StoryKeeper
2009-06-12, 04:19 PM
Why you might ask? Because it seemed like a fun idea, and it turns out it is! My kobold knight has survived to see the glories of level two. The thing is, I don't want him to conitnue being ENTIRELY useless in combat. I was hoping you guys could give me some tips on how to play/level-up my kobold knight to be effective in combat.

Strengths:
*19 Dex
*16 Cha
*Wealthy parents

Weaknesses:
*8 Str
*10 Con
*Standard kobold problems including not making for a very effective meat wall.

paddyfool
2009-06-12, 04:29 PM
I assume you already have weapon finesse...

Get him the best medium-sized mount money (aka a small bribe to the DM) can buy?

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 04:38 PM
go for an weapon that has a good crit range (rapier) and either get the scabbard of keen edges or get improve criticle whenever you can

Eldariel
2009-06-12, 04:42 PM
I suggest:
Spiked Chain + Weapon Finesse

Does the Knight's shtick pretty well. Your d12 HD should help you survive with that Con. Other than that, a small dip in Swordsage later to pick up Shadow Blade to get some damage seems good.

Right now, I'd focus on Spiked Chaining with Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill) to stop people from moving around. Maybe pick few Fighter-levels to pick up some extra feats.

Oh, and consider Imperious Command [Drow of the Underdark] + maxed Intimidate to make opponents Cower.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-12, 11:06 PM
The advantages of a Knight are that, unlike other meatshields, enemies are more likely to attack you than the squishies. Focus on that(Combat Reflexes, Reach Weapon, and Stand Still), and combine it with your Kobold AC. The problem is your high Dex and low Str. You need Weapon Finesse, which mostly eliminates Reach Weapons. Finesse+Reach only appears in the Spiked Chain and Kusari Gama, both of which require EWP. How much retraining can you do, and do you use the RotD web enhancement? It makes Kobolds better for control builds.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-12, 11:12 PM
You could use Power attack to exchange some of your bonus to hit for extra damage if you are Weapon Finessing.

I have a low STR high DEX character in one game who goes that way.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-12, 11:43 PM
You could use Power attack to exchange some of your bonus to hit for extra damage if you are Weapon Finessing.

I have a low STR high DEX character in one game who goes that way....how? Non-Light can't be finessed, and Light can't PA. I guess you could use one of the 2 finessable non-light weapons, but most people dislike them.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-13, 12:37 AM
Rapiers aren't so bad.

Go with a Rapier and a Shortsword. :)
It's a great combo. You use the shortsword in your off hand and power attack with the rapier.

Or Two Sun Blades held one handed.
Touch pricey though. lol.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-13, 12:44 AM
Rapiers aren't so bad.

Go with a Rapier and a Shortsword. :)
It's a great combo. You use the shortsword in your off hand and power attack with the rapier.Power Attack applies to all attacks made, whether the weapon benefits from it or not. At that point, I'd rather go with the Kobold Natural Weapon in the off-hand and avoid some of the TWF drawbacks.

Fishy
2009-06-13, 01:08 AM
Elven Courtblade, two-handed but finessable. Every Swashbuckler's best friend. Requires EWP, of course, and then you might as well get a Spiked Chain, but you're throwing away valuable style points.

I'd be tempted by Person Man's Fine But Deadly (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5998772&postcount=2) build. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the Slight Build Alternate Racial Trait (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) might let you use Confound the Big Folk to use a Medium sized enemy as a human shield while all of his friends are attacking you.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-13, 01:12 AM
...how? Non-Light can't be finessed, ...

Except, you know, spiked chains (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#chainSpiked).

Atcote
2009-06-13, 01:17 AM
I've always liked doing stuff like this... I have myself a Goblin Paladin running around now, and he's faired better than most of my other characters (of course, to be fair, this is in 4E, where the confusing Charisma bonus does a good lot of help).

Yeah, I'd go for spiked chain as well - your Con, frankly, denies you getting too close, but you can still be a very competant fighter if you just don't jump headlong into the fray.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-13, 01:38 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, spiked chain does work the best. :P

StoryKeeper
2009-06-13, 09:32 AM
Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I'll take a look through a few books and see if I can't find a way to work in proficiency with spiked chains. Also, though it changes the subject, I've heard that there are some potent dragonwrought combinations out there. What are they and could they be useful for this character?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 09:41 AM

I have a low STR high DEX character in one game who goes that way.

How do you PA with 8 Strength?

Eldariel
2009-06-13, 10:02 AM
Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I'll take a look through a few books and see if I can't find a way to work in proficiency with spiked chains. Also, though it changes the subject, I've heard that there are some potent dragonwrought combinations out there. What are they and could they be useful for this character?

Dragonwrought especially fuels spellcasters (you can get full age bonuses to stats without age penalties, some nice Alter Self-forms and two things to totally turbocharge your Sorcerer-caster in Loredrake (and other Dragon-templates) and Greater Draconic Rite of Passage; oh, and epic feats on level 1, but that's a bit cheesy :P), so it's of little use here.

You definitely should focus on your Dex. As I already said, Spiked Chain is truly the way to go - a two-handed finessable weapon. If you want to go that way, you could draw upon Dragon Magazine - 1 level in Exoticist Fighter [Crystalkeep Base Class Index (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) has it listed] would buy you Chain proficiency, a bonus feat (Weapon Finesse) and yeah... It could be useful. Other than that, you'll have to wait a bit longer.

A straight Knight gets the basic setup by level 5 (level 1 Weapon Finesse, level 3 Exotic Weapon Proficiency, level 5 Stand Still; after that, Martial Study: Something, Martial Stance: Anything Shadow Hand (Island of Blades?) and Shadow Blade on level 10. Combat Reflexes would be next and then Mage Slayer, Deft Opportunist & Robilar's Gambit. Getting two Flaws would of course help you a crapton, especially if you don't want to dip (Knight capstone is the best thing in evar).

Some dips could also get you Power Attack without the Str to qualify for it (Ranger 2 with Strong-Arm style); it's a great way to get extra damage with your Finessed Chain (something you sorely need). Straight Knight unfortunately doesn't enjoy the benefit of such options.

Fishy
2009-06-13, 10:23 AM
Sadly, Stand Still also requires 13 strength.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-14, 11:17 PM
How do you PA with 8 Strength?

Got it from a magic item or something.. cannot remember now. :(

What ways are the for gaining a feat that you are not qualified for BTW?

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-15, 01:28 AM
I re-statted Kobolds a while back due to seeing them as underpowered; you could ask the DM if you could use my stats (it's not perfect for this class, :

+2 Dex and Cha, -2 Str and Con, Small, 30' Movement, +1 Natural Armour, Darkvision 60', +2 to all Mining, Search and Trapmaking checks.

TSED
2009-06-15, 02:27 AM
You can't get Dragonwrought as it requires your first level feat, unfortunately.

On the bright side, it wouldn't do that much to help you, really. It really is more of a caster-feat. The only thing I could see it doing for you is opening you up to tasty true-dragon feats (of which I don't know any).

Find ways to increase your strength asap. Might as well put your 4th level stat-up into dex, though.

Person_Man
2009-06-15, 09:37 AM
Knight Handbook (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429&page=2)

woodenbandman
2009-06-15, 02:17 PM
I re-statted Kobolds a while back due to seeing them as underpowered; you could ask the DM if you could use my stats (it's not perfect for this class, :

+2 Dex and Cha, -2 Str and Con, Small, 30' Movement, +1 Natural Armour, Darkvision 60', +2 to all Mining, Search and Trapmaking checks.

They're really not underpowered. They have Dragonwraught (which really should be just a racial feature). That means +3 mental stats, as well as the actual dragon type and cool stuff like that.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-15, 02:26 PM

+2 Dex and Cha, -2 Str and Con, Small, 30' Movement, +1 Natural Armour, Darkvision 60', +2 to all Mining, Search and Trapmaking checks.Why do people want to make Kobolds more powerful? The key for tem is that they win despite the hindrances, notthat they can match humans on an even playing field. Kobolds should get MM racials and Slight Build. Everything else makes them too good for Kobolds.