PDA

View Full Version : (likely) Next OOTS book to be Extra and come soon, Compilation later

ilcane87
2009-06-12, 04:51 PM
Since the story arc is being wrapped up so nicely I came to expect a new compilation book announcement any day, and so did many other (relatively) new members of this forum.

But I just checked the boards history, and realized that the last book was announced the day strip #590 was uploaded (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85518), which is 106 strips after the last one included in the book itself, and even then it was just avaible for preorder, with the actual shipping beginning about one month later.
Should history repeat itself, with an average of 2.5 strips per week, the new book will be avaible for preorder more than 10 months after the final strip is published on this website, and I roughly estimate 1 year from now.

But the Giant may have a surprise in store for the upcoming months, namely a new Extra book à la SoD/OtOoPCs, of which we already know he plans to release more than another one (from commentaries on other books). :smallredface:
I expect it because, following the pattern, he released (approximately) one book per year, and it's been 11 months since he announced War and XPs, so it would fall exactly between that and the next compilation book.

Also, his current release list consists of: Compilation, Extra, Compilation, Extra, Compilation; it's pretty safe to assume that the next one will be Extra.

Start of the Linear Guild? On The Order of the Scribble? Not a prequel at all? Take your guess. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2009-06-12, 04:55 PM
Sapphire Guard? The other side of the story probably needs to be told (as it stands, SoD makes their behaviour look very bad)

A book covering Shojo, his ordering of the massacres, his recruitment of Miko, his decision to feign senility, perhaps ending with "My blades will be bathed in the blood of those responsible" (end strip of Dungeon Crawling Fools) would be good.

also- seeing as there are 3 books- how long between strip ending and book of the strip being released was it?

For Dungeons Crawling Fools and No Cure for the Paladin Blues, for example?

ilcane87
2009-06-12, 05:06 PM
also- seeing as there are 3 books- how long between strip ending and book of the strip being released was it?

For Dungeons Crawling Fools and No Cure for the Paladin Blues, for example?

No Cure for the Paladin Blues was announced on 6/24/2006, but unfortunately all forum posts before 2007 have been deleted, so i have no way to find out which strip had been uploaded right before it.

But, as you can see, it still follows the trend of roughly 1 book per year, with Start of Darkness being released in 2007 and War and XPs in 2008 (OtOoPCs 2006, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools 2005).

Lufia
2009-06-12, 05:16 PM
I'd love to read something about the Linear Guild. Or a story about another group of adventurers in the same world who are somehow affected by the actions of the OotS. Like guys who were supposed to get a trinket in the dungeon of Dorukan but have been screwed over by the mountain exploding.

In other news, this topic prompted me to finally order Origin of PCs and Start of Darkess. Let the long wait begin. :smalltongue:

Ellye
2009-06-12, 06:20 PM
I'd suspect a book on the Origins of the Linear Guild, because I think they're about to become much more serious villains now that we know about Sabine and the IFCC. But maybe the origin isn't really long enough for a book and will be explained in a few strips on the webcomic itself.

The Order of the Scribble could be interesting, but I'm not sure if it would really fit in one book... it's a whole campaign that's probably just a big as the one of the Order of the Stick.

Zombie Nixon
2009-06-12, 06:42 PM
Honestly, I don't think Nale's backstory would be all that interesting. He's a pretty tame villain, unlike Xykon.

The order of the scribble would be great, though.

David Argall
2009-06-12, 06:54 PM
It seems that the Linear Guild will be a major part of the next book, and our author seems to be wanting some surprises about it. That means any LG book is at least 2 years away.

Jagos
2009-06-12, 06:57 PM
I'd suspect a book on the Origins of the Linear Guild, because I think they're about to become much more serious villains now that we know about Sabine and the IFCC. But maybe the origin isn't really long enough for a book and will be explained in a few strips on the webcomic itself.

The Order of the Scribble could be interesting, but I'm not sure if it would really fit in one book... it's a whole campaign that's probably just a big as the one of the Order of the Stick.

To be Honest, the Scribble has had mostly their story through flashbacks as of late. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of Girard through something of the halfling thief's diary and that would take care of that.

The Linear Guild is really rotational. We might hear about 50 different members before it's settled on the most recent ones. I can find all kinds of comedy in that situation.

Mystic Muse
2009-06-12, 07:08 PM
I want to know more about the holey brotherhood and baron pineapple:smallbiggrin:

shadzar
2009-06-12, 07:44 PM
The adventures of Mr Scruffy. A look at the highlights of his life through his own eyes.

We would probably first see Therkla and Qarr working as Scruffy is on his nightly prowls, as well as many other people and goings on in Azure City.

Axl_Rose
2009-06-12, 08:02 PM
A book covering Shojo, his ordering of the massacres, his recruitment of Miko, his decision to feign senility, perhaps ending with "My blades will be bathed in the blood of those responsible" (end strip of Dungeon Crawling Fools) would be good.

Ooo, that would be good.

wootage
2009-06-12, 09:45 PM
But, as you can see, it still follows the trend of roughly 1 book per year

Well yeah. The guy's gotta eat :smallsmile:

xyzzy
2009-06-12, 09:52 PM
For any of these, the numbering system needs to be kept in mind; what would the numbering be for a Shojo story or for the Linear Guild? It's only a small matter, but it's something that will inevitably come up.

Of course, the easiest solution is imaginary numbers; Shojo is i, LG is -i, maybe?

Porthos
2009-06-12, 10:16 PM
I'd love to read something about the Linear Guild.

If Rich decides he wants a LG book, the perfect name has already been suggested (at least IMO): :smallsmile:

Spoilered on the very minor chance that Rich is reading this thread:
A Brief History of Crime :smalltongue:

Originally suggested here by Bogardan_Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2574571&postcount=16)

[TS] Shadow
2009-06-12, 10:48 PM
I would enjoy a Linear Guild book a lot more than a Scribble book. As cool as seeing the scribble's adventures would be, I don't think they'd have a lot of impact on the main story. A Linear Guild book would definately impact the story; they're major villains.

Dagren
2009-06-12, 11:54 PM
Sapphire Guard? The other side of the story probably needs to be told (as it stands, SoD makes their behaviour look very bad)

A book covering Shojo, his ordering of the massacres, his recruitment of Miko, his decision to feign senility, perhaps ending with "My blades will be bathed in the blood of those responsible" (end strip of Dungeon Crawling Fools) would be good.Seconded, that would be awesome. I always thought Shojo was great, even though he did con the party. It was a shame when he got killed, even if it was kind of his fault. Would be good to see some more of him, which I doubt we'll see online. And yeah, it kind of goes without saying that some defence should probably be offered for the Sapphire Guard.

SPoD
2009-06-13, 01:31 AM
Honestly, I don't think Nale's backstory would be all that interesting. He's a pretty tame villain, unlike Xykon.

Keep in mind that an LG backstory book would ALSO tell us a lot about the IFCC, because it would include Sabine's backstory.

hamishspence
2009-06-13, 04:38 AM
Via checking the Discussion thread index, I have found that strip 326 was uploaded immediately before 6/24/2006.

and since strip 300 was uploaded 4/4/2006, thats just under 3 months between Book Ending and Book Release Announced.

ilcane87
2009-06-13, 04:53 AM
Via checking the Discussion thread index, I have found that strip 326 was uploaded immediately before 6/24/2006.

and since strip 300 was uploaded 4/4/2006, thats just under 3 months between Book Ending and Book Release Announced.

That seems to invalidate one of my points, but there's still the pattern of alternating 1 Compilation book with 1 Extra book every year.

Going by that reasoning, the Giant probably decides to announce a new compilation book when it's been about 12 months since the last (extra) book was released; considering War and XPs was released 11 months ago, it's safe to expect him to hold back the new compilation for an year, and publish a new extra book instead next month, or shortly thereafter.

That's exactly what he did with SoD and W&XPs.

hamishspence
2009-06-13, 05:00 AM
Seems reasonable- and there can be a very long gap between an announcement and a release.

I am hoping that another prequel will be released soon.

Also- when was Origin announced and when did it come out?

ilcane87
2009-06-13, 06:37 AM
Seems reasonable- and there can be a very long gap between an announcement and a release.

I am hoping that another prequel will be released soon.

Also- when was Origin announced and when did it come out?

Announced on 8/1/2005 (month/day/year), but I'm not sure about the actual release date.

Anyway, back in the day Rich's schedule was probably much different and less organized than it is now, so i wouldn't take any hints from what he was doing in his very first years of activity.

FafnerMorell
2009-06-13, 08:47 AM
Frankly, I don't care what the topic is, as long as the plot, humor & drama is as good as in "Start of Darkness". And I'd happily send in some $$$ for another compilation of the recent strips + bonuses. Rich's commentaries before each chapter are great for insight into where he's coming from.

Morgan Wick
2009-06-13, 09:30 PM
It seems that the Linear Guild will be a major part of the next book, and our author seems to be wanting some surprises about it. That means any LG book is at least 2 years away.

Except that an LG book would be a good way to set up plot points for the next book. Also, if the LG is going to be all that important in the next book, past experience should tell us they should show up at least ONCE in this one. I don't think the IFCC counts, certainly if the LG's involvement is going to be the "your father kidnapped my father" thing. No two potential LG story angles could be more different.

Announced on 8/1/2005 (month/day/year), but I'm not sure about the actual release date.

Because of the way books are/were released, that answer would be... complicated. Looking at old news posts on archive.org, however, shipments started on 10/24 (http://web.archive.org/web/20051125122708/http://www.giantitp.com/) (or thereabouts), about when #235 came out.

David Argall
2009-06-14, 02:23 AM
Except that an LG book would be a good way to set up plot points for the next book.

There are some hints that our writer wants a surprise here, one that an LG book would have to ruin. [The twins are actually triplets?] So the LG book has to wait until after the surprise is sprung.