PDA

View Full Version : When you give a dragon a laxative... (PEACH)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-06, 12:42 AM
Fewmet Golem

Small Construct
Hit Dice: 5d10+10 (37 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+1 dex, +8 natural, +1 size), touch 12, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+0
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: 2 bites +5 melee (1d6+1) and 4 claws +3 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Elemental emanation, greed's fervor, hoard fever
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision, immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: -
Feats: Multiattack(B)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or Pile (3-8 fewmet golems)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Double standard coins and gems
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Small), 11-18 HD (Medium), 19-30 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Within the lairs of dragons magical energies permeate every inch of the abode, causing strange affects. When a dragon eats a mage or some other magical creature the forces within the dragon and those of the digesting creature sometimes merge and are absorbed. The leftovers from such a meal are particularly charged with magic and in rare instances spontaneously animate.

What appears as all the world as a dark manure pile arises, scintilating scales, gems, and coins glittering about its surface as cracked bones roil about within. Their sharp ends constantly jab the air around it and skulls rear up to snap at anything that moves as the most basic of instincts are revived in the remains. The entire collection flickers with a constantly burning fire, extrudes a glowing green cloud of gas, or in some way radiates the energies of the draconic being who produced it.

A fewmet golem weighs some 50 lbs. and its height varies form moment to moment.

Combat
A fewmet golem retains an instinctual ferocity and will attack anyone who breaches the borders of its dragon's lair or its own personal hoard. Extruding bone and tooth it gouges and bites until it is dead or left alone. They will not attack other dragons or draconic creatures.

Elemental Emanation (Ex): A fewmet golem radiates with the natural energies of the dragon that produced it. All those within 10 feet of a fewmet golem takes 1d6 points of damage a round. The damage type is as the dragon's main breath weapon.

Greed's Fervor (Ex): A fewmet golem will attack anyone with shiney armor, magical weapons, or any other sign of possessing expensive items above all others in an attempt to attain them. When engaging in such a battle it goes into a frenzy, gaining a +4 bonus to strength until it is slain or the item gathered. It also gains all the benefits of the Improved Disarm feat as it tries to snatch away worn items as the rest of it attacks. Once it has captured the item it will attempt to retain it within its own body for later adding to its collection. A fewmet golem cannot retain more than the ammount of its light load (50 lbs. for a small-sized fewmet golem).

Hoard Fever (Su): A living, thinking creature bitten by a fewmet golem must succeed on a DC 15 will save or over the course of 1d6 days become increasingly fascinated with wealth. They will do anything in their power to be near large sources of coins and gems, anything with a shine, as long as it does not mean certain death. They will not mindlessly try to cross over a chasm for instance, but will try to find a way down or around it. If in contact with such treasure they will not willingly part with it and many may die of thirst before leaving. This fever also includes rampant kleptomania, the victim snatching up money and items of worth wherever they can find it. In addition these affects result in 1d4 Wisdom damage.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A fewmet golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A fewmet golem gains the same energy immunities as the dragon that produced it. It does however gain vulnerabilities to the opposing energy, such as a fire-based fewmat takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from a cold effect, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

Maryring
2006-07-06, 12:49 AM
Unless I remember wrong, there are no leftovers from a Dragon's meal. So I don't think these creatures can actually exsist. I might be wrong though.

Just wondering, but how do you cure Hoard Fever? Remove Disease or Restoration? Can it be cured by mundane means?

Skyserpent
2006-07-06, 12:54 AM
I believe Dragons feed their food into a Magical reactor, since a lot of dragons can eat stone and gems, and they basically just feed their energy core, Described in the Draconomicon.

But then again, that is a pretty cool little robot...

Murky_Pool
2006-07-06, 05:23 AM
It's certainly a deterrent for adventurers trying to sneak in the back door of a lair.

I'd certainly want any of the contents of this monster well cleaned before I picked them up.

PMDM
2006-07-06, 06:34 AM
Is it a golem? Or is it actually a piece of crap?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-06, 07:26 AM
Unless I remember wrong, there are no leftovers from a Dragon's meal. So I don't think these creatures can actually exsist. I might be wrong though.
It says the 'vast majority' of a dragon's meal is burned up. And its anatomy chart does appear to have coiled intestines going you know where.

Just wondering, but how do you cure Hoard Fever? Remove Disease or Restoration? Can it be cured by mundane means?
Just treat it like any other disease. So yes, Remove Disease spells and hefty healing checks can help deal with it.

Is it a golem? Or is it actually a piece of crap?
Is a stone golem a golem, or is it actually a chunk of rock? ;)

MMad
2006-07-06, 09:28 AM
The biggest problem I have with using this cool little creation in a dragon's cave is is that I can't really see dragons taking a dump on their hoard or even in their cave - especially if they know their crap occasionally animates into ugly little golems obsessed with wealth, I imagine they'd make sure to take their dump *far* from their hoard.

If a dragon's hoard is part of a huge system of caves and tunnels, and a band of adventurers tried to sneak in through the back door like someone said above, it'd make good sense to have them stumble into the dragon's lav and encounter one of these guys. :) I don't see there ever being more than one of them, though - the way I see it, anytime the dragon goes there to do his business, he'd probably destroy any fewmet golems he'd encounter - especially if they were to attach him (which I'm not sure from a quick read if you mean they would).

Jack Mann
2006-07-06, 09:34 AM
I have this vision of dragons leaving sacks of their own poo in front of other dragons' lairs.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-06, 09:41 AM
I have this vision of dragons leaving sacks of their own poo in front of other dragons' lairs.
And those who can light them with bursts of dragonflame and flying away laughing.

"Aww, come on, guys! I'm only a Young Adult, I don't need this #@%!"

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-06, 09:41 AM
The biggest problem I have with using this cool little creation in a dragon's cave is is that I can't really see dragons taking a dump on their hoard or even in their cave - especially if they know their crap occasionally animates into ugly little golems obsessed with wealth, I imagine they'd make sure to take their dump *far* from their hoard.
I dunno, supposedly dragons will sleep for centuries on their hoardes. Even if their metabolism goes way down I'd think they would still have to go from time to time ;)

And the golems are obscessed with wealth, yes, but if its already in a pile they'd just claim it as their own and roam about it happily and up to the gills in treasure.

I don't see there ever being more than one of them, though - the way I see it, anytime the dragon goes there to do his business, he'd probably destroy any fewmet golems he'd encounter - especially if they were to attach him (which I'm not sure from a quick read if you mean they would).
Maybe, though with all the half-breeds roaming around, who knows what goes through a dragon's head. It might just think the fewmets as pets or something.

Also, no, they don't mess about with dragons. Adjusted the post to make that more clear.

Happy Halloween ::)

Nerd-o-rama
2006-07-06, 11:27 AM
My dog just created a Diminutive Fewmet Golem in my house. I hate you for the sheer coincidence of it.

Vaynor
2006-07-06, 12:32 PM
My dog just created a Diminutive Fewmet Golem in my house. I hate you for the sheer coincidence of it.
Oh, did it steal your pocket change?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-06, 01:06 PM
Well, a fewmet is traditionally only dragon refuse actually (though who made up a name for a made up creature's droppings is beyond me ::) ) .

I actually meant this as a serious creature despite its nature. I mean, it'd definetely be a way of allowing low-leveled players to deal with dragons (while the beast is away, the adventurers will play), but not be killed outright.

Leon
2006-07-06, 01:10 PM
Aww, like the 1st title.

when i saw it earlier it turned out to be almost what i thought it was hinting at

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-06, 01:13 PM
Aww, like the 1st title.

when i saw it earlier it turned out to be almost what i thought it was hinting at
Yeah, but I thought the first title was just a tad too crude.

*shrugs*

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-06, 01:13 PM
I missed it, what was it?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-06, 01:14 PM
I missed it, what was it?
'Dragons are fulla crap!' ::)

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-06, 01:18 PM
'Dragons are fulla crap!' ::)

*snicker*

Jack Mann
2006-07-06, 05:27 PM
Okay, it's like this. Fumet, which literally meant "pleasant aroma" referred to the smell of cooked and seasoned meat. Eventually, it started to mean the smell of meat that had been kept too long, presumably meant with some amount of irony. Then they used it to mean the dung of game, such as deer. This being before they invented spelling, there were many variants on fumet, such as fewmet, fumette, etc. Eventually, writers like T.H. White and Madeleine L'Engle came along and said that the variant fewmet referred to the spoor of dragons.

So while I suppose you could say that the traditional meaning of fewmet is dragon droppings, it's a relatively modern tradition.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-06, 08:47 PM
Okay, it's like this. Fumet, which literally meant "pleasant aroma" referred to the smell of cooked and seasoned meat. Eventually, it started to mean the smell of meat that had been kept too long, presumably meant with some amount of irony. Then they used it to mean the dung of game, such as deer. This being before they invented spelling, there were many variants on fumet, such as fewmet, fumette, etc. Eventually, writers like T.H. White and Madeleine L'Engle came along and said that the variant fewmet referred to the spoor of dragons.

So while I suppose you could say that the traditional meaning of fewmet is dragon droppings, it's a relatively modern tradition.
Well, even one of the old originals, such as meaning spoiled meat also works in this reguard, so all's good ;)

Jack Mann
2006-07-06, 10:25 PM
Well, their most common modern meanings are animal droppings, and fewmet is generally associated with dragon droppings, so you used the word correctly. I just wanted to point out that the word hadn't been created for that purpose.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-26, 02:09 PM
Well, their most common modern meanings are animal droppings, and fewmet is generally associated with dragon droppings, so you used the word correctly. I just wanted to point out that the word hadn't been created for that purpose.
Languages come and go, but manure is forever...

Zeal
2006-07-26, 02:50 PM
Another thing to fear in Vorpal Tribble's game worlds:

Dragon crap