PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a rule

Gaiyamato
2009-06-12, 09:34 PM
Playing a game where I'm a pretty beefy barbarian.

It is with a whole bunch of PCs in an almost endless constantly shifting totally randomly generated dungeon. We are level 8 and start off in pants but with ont nasty magic item. I have a great axe:

WEAPONS

NAME : Slaungunbrand
TYPE : Greataxe +1 + Everbright (Magic Item Compendium pg 34)
CRYSTAL SOCKET: Crystal of Life Drinking, least (Magic Item Compendium pg 64-65)
ATT : +1 (+11 total)(WF: +13. FB: +14.)
DMG : 1D12+1(+4 Total (WF: +6. FB: +7.))
CRIT : x3
RNG : -
WGHT : 12lb
TYPE : Slashing
SIZE : M
COST : 4470gp

WF = Whirling Frenzy
FB = Frenzied Berserker Frenzy

Currently under the effects of a whole bunch of STR boosters (including FB).
However I am still alone in the dungeon, not being lucky enough to meet up with another PC yet.

I entered a room and approached what I thought was a locked chest.
Turned out to have suckers and taste for my flesh. It grappled me, I took an awkward swing with my axe and hit it, but did not sever it's tentacles.
My axe got stuck to boot.

Then I passed all of my grapple checks and I am free and able to act right now.
DM says I can make a STR check to get my Axe.
Which is fine and dandy. lol.

However I was wondernig. Are there any rules for me to grab the suckers and then tear them right out of the bloody thing?
I want to just brute force rips it's arms off.

Are there any rules in 3.5 for that?
lol.

DM does not think so, but if there are I'd much rather recover my axe that way. :smallbiggrin:

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-12, 09:46 PM
Playing a game where I'm a pretty beefy barbarian.

It is with a whole bunch of PCs in an almost endless constantly shifting totally randomly generated dungeon. We are level 8 and start off in pants but with ont nasty magic item. I have a great axe:

WEAPONS

NAME : Slaungunbrand
TYPE : Greataxe +1 + Everbright (Magic Item Compendium pg 34)
CRYSTAL SOCKET: Crystal of Life Drinking, least (Magic Item Compendium pg 64-65)
ATT : +1 (+11 total)(WF: +13. FB: +14.)
DMG : 1D12+1(+4 Total (WF: +6. FB: +7.))
CRIT : x3
RNG : -
WGHT : 12lb
TYPE : Slashing
SIZE : M
COST : 4470gp

WF = Whirling Frenzy
FB = Frenzied Berserker Frenzy

Currently under the effects of a whole bunch of STR boosters (including FB).
However I am still alone in the dungeon, not being lucky enough to meet up with another PC yet.

I entered a room and approached what I thought was a locked chest.
Turned out to have suckers and taste for my flesh. It grappled me, I took an awkward swing with my axe and hit it, but did not sever it's tentacles.
My axe got stuck to boot.

Then I passed all of my grapple checks and I am free and able to act right now.
DM says I can make a STR check to get my Axe.
Which is fine and dandy. lol.

However I was wondernig. Are there any rules for me to grab the suckers and then tear them right out of the bloody thing?

Are there any rules in 3.5 for that?
lol.

DM does not think so, but if there are I'd much rather recover my axe that way. :smallbiggrin:

If you win the STR check, just describe it that way. Say you got back your axe by ripping the tentacle off, "Rrraarrgh!". It's a shapechanging monster, a mimic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mimic.htm) actually, not a person. It can always grow another psuedopod thingy so there's no need to suppose that you hurt it by ripping off a little piece of it.

Besides there are plenty of D&D monsters with appendages that can be ripped off without affecting the main hit points, like the roper and the hydra. The only difference is that those have explicit sundering rules and this one doesn't.

Edit: If you really wanted to have a mechanic for ripping it's arm off (though that's not necessary as I said), then that's a sunder attempt. So you have to do X points of damage (unarmed at this point). What X is up to your DM, though I would say something like 10 hp is fair. And I wouldn't count these damage against the main monsters hit points.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-12, 10:00 PM
Damn.

Ok then. Get Axe! Smash thing in head/trunk/whatever.....

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-13, 07:58 AM

I think you need to be a Wookie to rip peoples' arms off. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

daggaz
2009-06-13, 08:14 AM
Unless its MM description specifically states so (see fiendish octopus, hydras, etc) then you cant make called shots, which is what that amounts to.

Yeah, you are just going to have roll the str check and fluff it out some. It still wont take any actual damage tho, even if you do "rip its suckers off."

If I was the DM tho, I would allow you to make a melee touch attack and then an opposed strength check, where you also had to roll higher than, say DC 15 or 20 depending... Then you do 1d8 damage, rip its arm off (which promptly regrows- its a shapechanger) and get your axe back. Failing to roll higher than the DC but beating the monsters str check, and you just pry its arms off the axe, which you then have in your hands. Failing the actual str check, and you are back in the grapple.

Tho personally, I woulda just leap attacked it.. :smallcool:

Irreverent Fool
2009-06-13, 09:27 AM
This is the problem with having so many rules. We are discouraged from doing things the rules don't cover.

It's a monster. The party is probably going to kill it. Make an opposed strength check, win by enough, tear its arms off. Feel cool.

obnoxious
sig