PDA

View Full Version : What can i use Ocular Spell on?

Stormthorn
2009-06-12, 10:09 PM
I know i can use rays but it also mentions spells with a target othe rthna personal. That sounds to me like any spell i dont have to cast on myself can be used but i assume im missenterpreting.

Part 2: What SHOULD i store in my eyes at each level?

Can i make something like a Disjunction occular? It has a target: a target area.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 05:39 AM
I know i can use rays but it also mentions spells with a target othe rthna personal. That sounds to me like any spell i dont have to cast on myself can be used but i assume im missenterpreting.

Scorching Ray.

That way, you can fire your lasers.

jseah
2009-06-13, 06:07 AM
How much cheese do you want? XD

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-13, 07:16 AM
Split, Twinned, Maximized Enervation. One full round action fires four rays, each of which deal eight negative levels.

Nondamaging rays like Ray of Dizziness and Ray of Light could also be useful for no-save debuffing multiple opponents at once, again Split Ray is a good choice.

Stormthorn
2009-06-15, 10:57 AM
But can it be applied to non-ray spells? It seems like it can by how its worded.

AmberVael
2009-06-15, 11:00 AM
But can it be applied to non-ray spells? It seems like it can by how its worded.

Yes. It can use any ray spells, or any spell with a target other than personal.

However, they are converted into ray spells with Ocular spell.

lsfreak
2009-06-15, 12:53 PM
Split, Twinned, Maximized Enervation. One full round action fires four rays, each of which deal eight negative levels.

Nondamaging rays like Ray of Dizziness and Ray of Light could also be useful for no-save debuffing multiple opponents at once, again Split Ray is a good choice.

And if you really like your cheese, Arcane Thesis + Metamagic School Focus or Incantatrix, you can rack up a Split Ray Twinned Empowered Maximized Repeated enervation for a 6th- 8th level slot (depending on DM ruling) for 20-24 negative levels each this round, and 20-24 more next round.

Alternatively, Disintegrate. Can definitely get it Split Ray Maximized Twinned Empowered at 9th level for 1050 damage, and can technically get Repeated Spell in there for the same amount next round. Just hope they don't make their save, or it drops to about 150. Oh, and tack on Enervating Spell for 50% more damage to any living creatures.

Stormthorn
2009-06-16, 04:49 PM
Can definitely get it Split Ray Maximized Twinned Empowered at 9th level for 1050

Wouldnt that require like Improved Metamagic, levels in Incantrix, or levels in Dweomer weaver. Probably some combination therof.

Disintegrate= 6 levels
Maximized= +4 levels
Twined= +4 levels
Split Ray= +x levels (i dont know that one)
Empower= +2 levels

So even with Improved Metamagic (3) thats a level 10 spell. by bringing all the metamagics down to +1.

Hm..you must have way more splatbooks than me or something. I got the core +3 other books total. What is Arcane Thesis?

lsfreak
2009-06-16, 05:03 PM
Arcane Thesis drops all metamagic applied to that spell by 1, and can drop a single metamagic (though not the whole spell) below +0. I did mess up the math a bit, but you can combine Arcane Thesis with Metamagic School Focus, Incantatrix (broken version or not), etc and you get Disintegrate (6) Ennervating (5) Split Ray (5) Maximized (7) Twinned (9) Empowered (9). Throw in all three and you can fit Repeat spell in.

But don't actually do that, it's more of demonstration. Incantatrix or Arcane Thesis + Metamagic School Focus/Easy Metamagic is what I'd limit myself to if I were actually going to do something like this.

Stormthorn
2009-06-17, 05:05 PM
Is Arcane Thesis a feat? If so it would have to be epic level since its better than Improved Metamagic which is an epic feat.

Heck, the only other way i know to lower metamagic costs is to be a dweomerweaver and be at least level 16.

Im assuing Incantrix and Metamagic School Focus are from complete arcane or something?
Man, anyhting outside of the core that relates to casters is really broken.

arguskos
2009-06-17, 05:10 PM
Is Arcane Thesis a feat? If so it would have to be epic level since its better than Improved Metamagic which is an epic feat.

Heck, the only other way i know to lower metamagic costs is to be a dweomerweaver and be at least level 16.

Im assuing Incantrix and Metamagic School Focus are from complete arcane or something?
Man, anyhting outside of the core that relates to casters is really broken.
Yeah, Arcane Thesis is a feat. It only applies to a single spell though, which you have to choose when you take the feat, meaning its not the most broken thing ever printed. Just close.

It can be found in Player's Handbook 2.

lsfreak
2009-06-17, 05:13 PM
Anything that relates to casters in core is completely broken. Core gave us wizards, druids, clerics, shapechange, polymorphing, gate cheese, contigencies, scry-and-die. Want me to keep going?

Arcane thesis only applies to a single spell, so you take Arcane Thesis (enervation). Or whatever.

EDIT: Incantatrix is in Magic of Faerun, and the powerful-but-not-broken 3.0 version is on the Wizard's site.

Stormthorn
2009-06-21, 12:38 AM
Can i make something like a Disjunction occular? It has a target: a target area.

Haven
2009-06-21, 12:56 AM
Use disintegrate
Be Darkseid

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-21, 04:28 AM

There is no 'Target' entry in Disjunction, there's an 'Area' entry instead. Spells can have an entry of 'Effect' such as rays or summon monsters, 'Area' such as Disjunction and Fireball, and 'Target' which includes most touch-range spells as well as single-target and even multiple-target spells like Horrid Wilting and the Mass Cures/Inflicts. Of those three, 'Area' spells are the only ones that cannot be stored as an Ocular Spell. A Greater Dispel Magic could be used, since it has a targeted mode, but a spell without a 'target' entry or an 'effect: ray' entry cannot be an Ocular Spell.