PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Psionics

foxtrotpenguin
2009-06-12, 10:16 PM
So my DM is starting a Psion heavy campain tomorrow. I've never really read any psion stuff but I have the EPH. Is there any more neat or useful psionic stuff I should have at the ready?

Yuki Akuma
2009-06-12, 10:17 PM
You might want to narrow your request down there a little, sport. What sort of character are you intending to play?

Flickerdart
2009-06-12, 10:18 PM
No. There is no more useful Psionic stuff anywhere aside from the XPH, and never will be. :smallmad:

arguskos
2009-06-12, 10:20 PM
No. There is no more useful Psionic stuff anywhere aside from the XPH, and never will be. :smallmad:
Comp Psion has some alright-ish stuff, at least, I like some of it.

Flickerdart
2009-06-12, 10:22 PM
Yeah, but 90% of that book...:smallmad:

Malacode
2009-06-12, 10:23 PM
If you want to get a feel of what a Psionic character is capable of, read through the Powers section of whatever Psionics book your DM has. Keep in mind that a power has limits on how you can augment it though. If you're going to play a psionic character, note which classes have access to the powers you think are cool, then check the class description out. Beyond that, it's pretty much the same as building a Wizard, Sorcerer or Duskblade for the most part.

TheThan
2009-06-12, 10:23 PM

He means the book that shall not be named (or is it though?)

He means the really lackluster Complete Psionics

foxtrotpenguin
2009-06-12, 10:26 PM
You might want to narrow your request down there a little, sport. What sort of character are you intending to play?

Oh, I'm sorry...

I plan on going Psion (Either Telepath or Metacreativity, if those are the correct terms). My biggest worry is not being flexible with my powers so I was wondering if anyone knows of any useful Class Varients, powers, or Prestige Classes added through Dragon magazine or the like.

foxtrotpenguin
2009-06-12, 10:29 PM
Sorry if Double post

They made a complete Psion?

Aneantir
2009-06-12, 10:32 PM
Sorry if Double post

Yes, and aside from a few nice things, it's terribad.

Random NPC
2009-06-12, 10:33 PM
Sorry if Double post

Complete Psionic, a horrible book

you should not name it. It hurts us, the psionic lovers :smallsigh:

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-12, 10:34 PM
A Telepath with the right power selections(A few mind-affecting, a few blasting powers and a few mobility powers) won't have problems with versatility past level 5 or so.

tyckspoon
2009-06-12, 10:39 PM
Oh, I'm sorry...

I plan on going Psion (Either Telepath or Metacreativity, if those are the correct terms). My biggest worry is not being flexible with my powers so I was wondering if anyone knows of any useful Class Varients, powers, or Prestige Classes added through Dragon magazine or the like.

Most of what you need is in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, although there are some neat powers and feats scattered around other places. Keep in mind that psionics offers several ways to increase your powers known if you feel your normal progression isn't enough. There's the Expanded Knowledge feat, which explicitly allows you to pick powers from other disciplines or even class lists; you can grab a couple of the nicer PsyWar powers that way. There's researching, which IIRC costs 100 xp/level of the power and takes one week. Again, this allows you to choose powers that would normally be restricted. One of the best ways you can spend your XP if you have a little downtime. And finally there's Psychic Reformation, which lets you re-pick your feats and powers known going all the way back to first level if you're willing to spend the XP.

Basically, for a Psion, there's no reason you shouldn't ever know whichever powers you feel like as long as you're not stuck on the concept of absolutely preserving your XP.

TheThan
2009-06-12, 10:46 PM
Complete Psionic, a horrible book

you should not name it. It hurts us, the psionic lovers :smallsigh:

yeah, what he said.

woodenbandman
2009-06-12, 10:56 PM
Complete psionic is fine if you ignore the bad stuff like the Astral Construct nerf. I rather like Ardents, and it did introduce sweet powers like Synchronicity and... well... mostly Synchronicity.

Lycanthromancer
2009-06-12, 11:03 PM
Hey now. Don't forget The Mind's Eye archives (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/psi). It's 100% official, and as long as you stick with the 3.5 articles (Just Say No to 3.0!) you'll be fine.

If you're looking at the shaper (that's the psion class that focuses on metacreativity) and you want to focus on astral constructs, definitely look at the 3.5 constructor.

Just remember that the strongest manifester is a single-classed psion; prestige classes (except for a single PrC, the anarchic initiate, from CPsi - not well-balanced at all) all lose manifester levels, but most are fairly balanced.

Except for the metamind. Avoid it like the spellplague.

If you can use 3rd party material, there's Hyperconscious (http://www.montecook.com/mpress_Hyper.html) (written by Bruce Cordell, primary author of the Expanded Psionics Handbook), the prestigious (and very well-balanced) books from Dreamscarred Press ([url=http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/index.php), and my revamped psionic powers revision (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=968968) (which is an attempt to rebalanced the entire core psionic manifesting paradigm - show it to your DM to see if he wants to use it in lieu of the XPH).

Just make sure your DM is okay with whatever you choose to use.

Aneantir
2009-06-12, 11:07 PM
Complete psionic is fine if you ignore the bad stuff like the Astral Construct nerf. I rather like Ardents, and it did introduce sweet powers like Synchronicity and... well... mostly Synchronicity.

And it has Soulbow!.... And thats all the high points. Congratulations, if you can find the descriptions for Arednts, Syncrhonicity, and the Soulbow prestige class, you no longer need to buy the book.

Aneantir
2009-06-12, 11:10 PM
Just remember that the strongest manifester is a single-classed psion; prestige classes (except for a single PrC, the anarchic initiate, from CPsi - not well-balanced at all) all lose manifester levels, but most are fairly balanced.

Actually, it's more likely that they ARE the balanced prestige classes, while the arcane casters prestige classes are imbalanced because they gain more abilities and power while not losing anything themselves.

Goatman_Ted
2009-06-12, 11:42 PM
And it has Soulbow!.... And thats all the high points. Congratulations, if you can find the descriptions for Arednts, Syncrhonicity, and the Soulbow prestige class, you no longer need to buy the book.

There's also the Anarchic Initiate, Erudite, some dry but useful spells reprinted as powers and the wonderful Link Power feat.

Enough of it is useful that the book's certainly worth a look if your group has it. There's just so much **** in there -- so little innovation in its material, so much fluff that doesn't make any sense at all, so much that's almost offensively dry -- that it's hard to recommend. (But I have to admit to using it in almost every psionic character I play.)

Also I remember a handful of powers that made a Psychic Warrior thrower work (mostly reprinted from RotW, I believe). So if you want one of those, for some reason...

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-12, 11:52 PM
There's also the Anarchic Initiate, Erudite, some dry but useful spells reprinted as powers and the wonderful Link Power feat.

Enough of it is useful that the book's certainly worth a look if your group has it. There's just so much **** in there -- so little innovation in its material, so much fluff that doesn't make any sense at all, so much that's almost offensively dry -- that it's hard to recommend. (But I have to admit to using it in almost every psionic character I play.)

Also I remember a handful of powers that made a Psychic Warrior thrower work (mostly reprinted from RotW, I believe). So if you want one of those, for some reason...Everyone forgets that Practiced Mnifester isn't XPH, too. It's CompPsi, though it's so poorly written I don't know why people are can't remember...

deuxhero
2009-06-13, 12:05 AM
The web preview for the soulbow should be around somewhere, anyone got the link?

Most people agree that the Soulbow is one of the few good things in Comp Psionic IIRC.

Lamech
2009-06-13, 12:06 AM
CPsi: There is ardent, erudite, synchronicity, anticipatory strike (RoD version is better IIRC, anyway Celerity for psions IIRC). Psycoportive shelter (rope trick) useful for obvious reasons. Psionic death knell is good if and only if your DM lets it give manifester levels. (Although its one of those mantels.) We also have archaic initiate, mandatory for all chaotic psionics. Some more metapower feats (linked power); the feat metapower. (Bestow power abuse FTW)

Also earth power is in races of stone, kinda useful. (And its one of those things that allows for bestow power abuse.)

Just remember that the strongest manifester is a single-classed psion; prestige classes (except for a single PrC, the anarchic initiate, from CPsi - not well-balanced at all) all lose manifester levels, but most are fairly balanced.Not well balanced? Compared too... what? Are you saying its too good?: IotSFV is broken to all hell, and thats simply an extreme example; casters get much better toys to play with for prestige classes. Yes the requierments don't match the fluff, but that isn't balance.
Or are you saying it isn't good enough: I think its better than being a straight psion (those 2 free points are nice), and they get some other fun toys. So... whats the problem its still the best thing out there.

foxtrotpenguin
2009-06-13, 12:09 AM
The web preview for the soulbow should be around somewhere, anyone got the link?

Most people agree that the Soulbow is one of the few good things in Comp Psionic IIRC.

Soulbow? This sounds Awesome but Impractical.

Random NPC
2009-06-13, 12:21 AM
Soulbow? This sounds Awesome but Impractical.

It's awesome and practical. It makes playing a soulblade easier. And it's free (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2)

Lappy9000
2009-06-13, 12:52 AM
It's awesome and practical. It makes playing a soulblade easier. And it's free (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2)Wow. Re-flavor the "arrows" into "energy waves" and you've got a Dragon Ball Z-style warrior :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-13, 01:28 AM
This is the Soulbow (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2), you can use TWF with Mind Arrows and with Monk or Ninja 1 or Swordsage 2 and Zen Archery from CW it's SAD for Wis. A Thri-Kreen with Multiweapon Fighting can fire a Mind Arrow with each of its four hands. If you put the Lucky property on your Mind Arrows each individual arrow will get a 1/day reroll if it misses, which means every missed attack will get a second chance to hit. Throw in the Woodland Archer tactical feat from Races of the Wild and you'll almost certainly hit on most of your attacks, if not all of them.

Apart from that, Practiced Manifester works just like a Psionic version of Practiced Spellcaster, and I kind of like Ectopic Form: Emerald Gyre. There's also Anarchic Initiate, the only Psionic prestige class that doesn't lose any manifester levels. Synchronicity is also in Races of Destiny. Apart from those, you don't really need Complete Psionic for anything. Most of the decent psionic prestige classes only lose one level of manifesting, plus you could consider taking Legacy Champion from Weapons of Legacy which would grant 9/10 manifesting plus it will still advance your other class features, or even advance a current prestige class which in turn advances your manifesting.

If you're going Shaper, I'd strongly recommend taking Astral Construct, Ectopic Form: Emerald Gyre, and Boost Construct, along with the Personal Construct (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) class feature substitution at Psion 5. An Emerald Gyre automatically gets Improved Grab even at level 1, a Menu B ability. Boost Construct gives it one additional ability from a list it already has one from, i.e. a 1st level construct gets an additional Menu B ability, or two Menu A abilities. Personal Construct allows you to Quicken it for no additional powerpoint cost, without even needing a metapsionic feat, as long as you always get a construct of the same level with the same abilities and spend your psionic focus. Significantly better than the normal 1 round manifesting time, especially fully augmented. The Constructor (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b) prestige class is also a decent choice, the first nine levels give 8/9 manifesting, and the 10th level isn't even necessary with Personal Construct.

I've found that Psionic characters can be extremely interesting. One of my favorite grappler builds goes Human (or another race with a bonus feat) Monk 6/ Psionic Fist (of Zuoken) 10/ anything 4, maybe getting Slayer before the 10th level of Psionic Fist for more BAB. Get the following feats from Lords of Madness: Aberration Blood: Flexible Limbs (1), Inhuman Reach (1), Deepspawn (3), Warped Mind (in place of Wild Talent) (6), and Starspawn (9), along with Improved Grapple, Combat Reflexes, and Improved Trip from Monk, and probably get Practiced Manifester as your first bonus Psionic feat at Psionic Fist 5. If you can use flaws, just get your Aberrant feats a bit sooner and maybe get Up the Walls or even use a race with Powerful Build. Your powers should include Expansion, Grip of Iron, and Inertial Armor. This character is extremely good at grappling, and decent as a battlefield controller with long reach and Improved Trip. He could be twisted by his dark lineage, or maybe the result of some sort of experimentation.

Edit: I almost forgot, one of the best tricks for a Psion is to get Psicrystal Affinity and the powers Vigor and Share Pain. Use Share Pain on your Psicrystal every day, you'll each share your damage received by half. Use Vigor with Share Powers, you and the Psicrystal will each gain 5 temporary HP per powerpoint spent. That means you have a cushion of 10 HP per powerpoint before you take any actual damage. Just keep the psicrystal in your pocket or backpack and out of LoS/LoE for any sort of attacks, and the only damage it will take would be half of whatever you would otherwise take.

Zaq
2009-06-13, 12:36 PM
Complete Psionic gets an unnecessarily bad rap. Yeah, there's more crap in there than there really needs to be (did we seriously need a feat to turn a mind blade into an orc double axe? Seriously?), but honestly there's enough good stuff to make it worthwhile. Just, you know, avoid the Divine Mind like the plague. It wants to be a paladin, a marshal, and a bard all at the same time, and it fails miserably at being any of them. (The Lurk is mechanically inferior to the Psion or Psiwar, but it's not BAD. I'd rank it above the CAdv ninja and below the Incarnate.) Oh, and be really careful reading the prestige classes before you actually take them, because a lot of them have hidden drawbacks. There are a lot of useful powers in there, though, the coolness of the Ardent really can't be understated (one of the most flavorful and, in my experience, most well balanced full caster-types around). Oh, and while 60%+ of the feats are crap, the feats that AREN'T crap are actually quite cool (Practiced Manifester, Linked Power, Metapower, Enervation Endurance, that sort of thing).

As for the psionic system in general, at the risk of insulting your intelligence by telling you what you already know, there are two major things to keep in mind when playing a psionic character/campaign for the first time that aren't really found elsewhere in D&D.

1) The PP=ML spending cap. This, as you probably already know, is THE most important rule in psionics. Never forget it! I don't know why they didn't take up an entire splash page with just this rule, in giant red letters. It's that important.

2) Dealing with psionic focus. One of the big reasons that psionics tends to be far less broken than traditional magic is the fact that you basically can't stack metapsionics the way you can metamagic, primarily due to the mechanic of the psionic focus. If expending your focus is important to you, make sure you have some good ways of regaining it. It's very easy to end up frustrated if you simply don't have enough ways of getting your focus back in an expedient manner.

Having a good way of keeping track of your power points, other than simply scratching out a number and scribbling in a new one on a piece of scratch paper (do NOT use your character sheet for this. Trust me.), makes life a lot easier. Depending on what level you are (keeping track of a level 5 psion's PP reserve is VERY DIFFERENT from keeping track of a level 15 psion's reserve), good options include a pool of tokens that you can physically move around (which you can, if you desire, pre-sort into groups based on how expensive your favorite or most often used powers are... handy, trust me) or a set of d10s used as counting dice.

Once you grasp the basic mechanics, psionics is a pretty easy system to work with, really.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-13, 02:56 PM
I dunno; I think the Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) is pretty neat.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z276/Tikiman010/motivator8752299.jpg

Eldariel
2009-06-13, 03:03 PM

The Mind's Eye (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/psi) article series on WoTC site is pretty good. It has a lot of ACFs, classes and material for psionic characters to use, and it's pretty well-balanced and well written. Definitely the best of WoTC since XPH.

There's also Untapped Potential: New Horizons in Psionics (http://www.amazon.com/Untapped-Potential-New-Horizons-Psionics/dp/0615169244/ref=sr_1_1/188-9834652-9418266?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244923440&sr=8-1) and hell, even Hyperconscious: Explorations in Psionics (http://www.amazon.com/Hyperconscious-Explorations-Psionics-Roleplaying-Adventure/dp/1588469956/ref=sr_1_1/192-4978113-4087005?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244923498&sr=1-1). Hyperconscious is an adventure, but also contains a bunch of crunch. Neither is officially WoTC-published, but the makers of 3.5 Psionics had their hand in those books, so they're semi-official and perfectly compatible.

The biggest problem about Complete Psionics is that it unnecessarily nerfs a bunch of interesting Powers. Most importantly, it completely wrecks Astral Construct-focused Shapers. The Constructor PrC on Mind's Eye is all that Power needed. The best plan is just to ignore the nerfs to Powers and just take the interesting new powers, PrCs and Ardent and profit (oh, and Linked Power, best metapsionics evar).

The other big problem is that the fluff is from hell; tons of planar influence and stuff that belongs to Clerics rather than to Psions (which is entirely about the power of your own mind rather than channeling X, Y or Z).

Yora
2009-06-13, 03:06 PM
For first steps into psionics, I would really go just with plain vanilla XPH and nothing else. There's enough new stuff in it as it is.

foxtrotpenguin
2009-06-13, 08:55 PM
This is the Soulbow (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2), you can use TWF with Mind Arrows and with Monk or Ninja 1 or Swordsage 2 and Zen Archery from CW it's SAD for Wis. A Thri-Kreen with Multiweapon Fighting can fire a Mind Arrow with each of its four hands. If you put the Lucky property on your Mind Arrows each individual arrow will get a 1/day reroll if it misses, which means every missed attack will get a second chance to hit. Throw in the Woodland Archer tactical feat from Races of the Wild and you'll almost certainly hit on most of your attacks, if not all of them.

Apart from that, Practiced Manifester works just like a Psionic version of Practiced Spellcaster, and I kind of like Ectopic Form: Emerald Gyre. There's also Anarchic Initiate, the only Psionic prestige class that doesn't lose any manifester levels. Synchronicity is also in Races of Destiny. Apart from those, you don't really need Complete Psionic for anything. Most of the decent psionic prestige classes only lose one level of manifesting, plus you could consider taking Legacy Champion from Weapons of Legacy which would grant 9/10 manifesting plus it will still advance your other class features, or even advance a current prestige class which in turn advances your manifesting.

If you're going Shaper, I'd strongly recommend taking Astral Construct, Ectopic Form: Emerald Gyre, and Boost Construct, along with the Personal Construct (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) class feature substitution at Psion 5. An Emerald Gyre automatically gets Improved Grab even at level 1, a Menu B ability. Boost Construct gives it one additional ability from a list it already has one from, i.e. a 1st level construct gets an additional Menu B ability, or two Menu A abilities. Personal Construct allows you to Quicken it for no additional powerpoint cost, without even needing a metapsionic feat, as long as you always get a construct of the same level with the same abilities and spend your psionic focus. Significantly better than the normal 1 round manifesting time, especially fully augmented. The Constructor (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b) prestige class is also a decent choice, the first nine levels give 8/9 manifesting, and the 10th level isn't even necessary with Personal Construct.

I've found that Psionic characters can be extremely interesting. One of my favorite grappler builds goes Human (or another race with a bonus feat) Monk 6/ Psionic Fist (of Zuoken) 10/ anything 4, maybe getting Slayer before the 10th level of Psionic Fist for more BAB. Get the following feats from Lords of Madness: Aberration Blood: Flexible Limbs (1), Inhuman Reach (1), Deepspawn (3), Warped Mind (in place of Wild Talent) (6), and Starspawn (9), along with Improved Grapple, Combat Reflexes, and Improved Trip from Monk, and probably get Practiced Manifester as your first bonus Psionic feat at Psionic Fist 5. If you can use flaws, just get your Aberrant feats a bit sooner and maybe get Up the Walls or even use a race with Powerful Build. Your powers should include Expansion, Grip of Iron, and Inertial Armor. This character is extremely good at grappling, and decent as a battlefield controller with long reach and Improved Trip. He could be twisted by his dark lineage, or maybe the result of some sort of experimentation.

Edit: I almost forgot, one of the best tricks for a Psion is to get Psicrystal Affinity and the powers Vigor and Share Pain. Use Share Pain on your Psicrystal every day, you'll each share your damage received by half. Use Vigor with Share Powers, you and the Psicrystal will each gain 5 temporary HP per powerpoint spent. That means you have a cushion of 10 HP per powerpoint before you take any actual damage. Just keep the psicrystal in your pocket or backpack and out of LoS/LoE for any sort of attacks, and the only damage it will take would be half of whatever you would otherwise take.

I actually planned out the Share Pain half of this already, but this Idea is just awesome

Yora
2009-06-14, 05:14 AM
No! They didn't! ^^

Oslecamo
2009-06-14, 06:02 AM
No! They didn't! ^^

I always loved this mentality of "psionics are great as long as you ignore 99.9% of the oficial material printed for it".

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-06-14, 06:08 AM
I always loved this mentality of "psionics are great as long as you ignore 99.9% of the oficial material printed for it".
Complete Psionic is not 99.9% of official psionic material so stop trolling.

Oslecamo
2009-06-14, 08:08 AM
Complete Psionic is not 99.9% of official psionic material so stop trolling.

So 2e psionics and 3.0 psionics also never existed right?

ghost_warlock
2009-06-14, 08:54 AM
So 2e psionics and 3.0 psionics also never existed right?

Thread title says 3.5, and we're discussing 3.5 psionics, so why are you even bringing up previous editions? :smallconfused:

Seriously, that's your argument? May as well say rogues aren't core because they weren't in the very first Player's Handbook...

Yora
2009-06-14, 09:00 AM
What is whose argument? And for what?

This is seriously getting confusing. ^^

Kosjsjach
2009-06-14, 11:35 AM
I find that when things get like this, it's best to just back away slowly. :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2009-06-14, 11:48 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I personally like having to use fewer rulebooks for the same things.

JMobius
2009-06-14, 11:57 AM
1) The PP=ML spending cap. This, as you probably already know, is THE most important rule in psionics. Never forget it! I don't know why they didn't take up an entire splash page with just this rule, in giant red letters. It's that important.

Any time the subject of psionics comes up, this will get mentioned a half dozen times, at least. Is it really that easy to miss? I know they repeated it a few times.

AstralFire
2009-06-14, 12:01 PM
Any time the subject of psionics comes up, this will get mentioned a half dozen times, at least. Is it really that easy to miss? I know they repeated it a few times.

I frequently see it forgotten by people who are very casual to the ruleset.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-14, 12:30 PM
Forgotten power point spending caps are the leading cause of "OMG psionics is broken!!111!1!!" n00bishness. Please, remember your caps.

This has been a public service announcement.

(They also probably should have put "BONUSES OF THE SAME TYPE DON'T STACK, EXCEPT FOR DODGE AND SYNERGY BONUSES" in big block letters in the Magic Overview and Magic Items sections of the rules, just to be safe.)

Waspinator
2009-06-14, 01:17 PM
Seriously, every once in a while someone starts a thread where they complain about psionics being overpowered because one of their players spent all of their power points for the day in one giant attack and vaporized everything. Personally? I suspect it is due to people using the SRD instead of the actual book to learn the rules and that "max PP = ML" cap is not mentioned in the Psion class description and can be easy to miss when you're not reading a book cover-to-cover.

The other common mistake, probably again because it's not listed in the relevant class description and instead in another chapter of the book, is letting Tome of Battle characters take maneuvers way too soon (level 6 characters getting level 6 maneuvers, for example).

Psionics gets an especially bad reputation though because it WAS pretty terrible most of the time before 3.5. However, that doesn't mean it is fair to judge the 3.5 version by the previous editions.

Edit: Oh, and the other huge thing to remember is to use Psionics-Magic transparency. Power Resistance = Spell Resistance, Psionic and Magic versions of dispel can effect both kinds of stuff, null psionics field = anti-magic field, etc. If divine and arcane are considered the same for that stuff, it's only fair to do it for psionics too.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-14, 01:29 PM
Edit: Oh, and the other huge thing to remember is to use Psionics-Magic transparency. Power Resistance = Spell Resistance, Psionic and Magic versions of dispel can effect both kinds of stuff, null psionics field = anti-magic field, etc. If divine and arcane are considered the same for that stuff, it's only fair to do it for psionics too.

Yes! What probably bothers me the most about games that use the 'psionics are different' option, though, is that it hurts psionic characters way more than it does arcane/divine casters, since psionic characters tend to be more limited by powers known than spellcasters (especially clerics, druids, and wizards) are by spells known.