PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Size-increasing template?

AslanCross
2009-06-12, 10:21 PM
I've looked through MM2, MM3, and MM5 (the only MMs I own). I need a template that increases size by one. I know MM2 has the Titanic template, but it raises size to Gargantuan. I just need Large.

Requirements are as follows:
-Size category +1 is enough.
-CR doesn't increase by too much (+2 tops, I guess).
-Needs to be applicable to outsiders (monster in question is a Rakshasa).

One unconventional idea I had was to use the Tauric template, but apparently it's only applicable to humanoids and monstrous humanoids.

Last resort is just flat-out increasing the monster's size for the +1 CR, I guess, but I'd like to see if there is an actual template that does this for me.

Saph
2009-06-12, 10:28 PM
You're the DM, you don't have to follow the rules. :P Just make the size whatever you want and CR it appropriately.

Seriously, I don't think there's a template that does exactly what you want (at least, I don't know of one within the MMs). You could give the critter additional Hit Dice until they pushed it up a size category, but that would mean more than a +2 CR increase.

- Saph

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 10:29 PM
couldn't you just use the the enlarge monster/person spell after making your monster? it would tell you what to do to it to make it a size catagory bigger

shadzar
2009-06-12, 10:33 PM
Permanent Enlarge Person on it? :smallconfused:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsDtoE.html#enlarge-person

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-12, 10:35 PM
Half Ogre increases size to Large if Medium.

AslanCross
2009-06-12, 10:37 PM
You're the DM, you don't have to follow the rules. :P Just make the size whatever you want and CR it appropriately.

Seriously, I don't think there's a template that does exactly what you want (at least, I don't know of one within the MMs). You could give the critter additional Hit Dice until they pushed it up a size category, but that would mean more than a +2 CR increase.

- Saph

Sure, though I'd rather work with an existing template. I guess the size up is fine. Rakshasa don't increase in size with hit dice since they advance by character class, but the size up +1 CR/+8 Strength would work I guess.

couldn't you just use the the enlarge monster/person spell after making your monster? it would tell you what to do to it to make it a size catagory bigger

I originally wanted to give him an item that does that, though technically an outsider is not an appropriate target for enlarge person. I'll just work with the default rules for making a monster one size bigger.

Jastermereel
2009-06-12, 10:38 PM
Ah, but Half-Minotaur increases Medium to Broken!

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-12, 10:43 PM
Ah, but Half-Minotaur increases Medium to Broken!

So a half-ogre half-minotaur tauric human is.. what size?

AslanCross
2009-06-12, 10:44 PM
Half Ogre increases size to Large if Medium.

Half-Ogre doesn't look like a template to me. The one in Races of Destiny isn't, at least.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-12, 10:47 PM
Half-Ogre doesn't look like a template to me. The one in Races of Destiny isn't, at least.

It's from a Dragon Mag. I just checked up on it and it's only Giant/Monstrous Humanoid/Humanoid so it doesn't work for your Raksasha.

AslanCross
2009-06-12, 10:49 PM
It's from a Dragon Mag. I just checked up on it and it's only Giant/Monstrous Humanoid/Humanoid so it doesn't work for your Raksasha.

Ah, I see. Thanks anyway. Again, the default option of using the MM's size increase rules looks like it's going to work.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-12, 10:52 PM
What about a Ring of Expansion that only works for Lawful Evil outsiders?

SSGoW
2009-06-12, 11:08 PM
Sure, though I'd rather work with an existing template. I guess the size up is fine. Rakshasa don't increase in size with hit dice since they advance by character class, but the size up +1 CR/+8 Strength would work I guess.

I originally wanted to give him an item that does that, though technically an outsider is not an appropriate target for enlarge person. I'll just work with the default rules for making a monster one size bigger.

if you are the DM you can just make the spell enlarge outsider :p

Zemro
2009-06-12, 11:42 PM
I regards to enlarge person, it's be better to simply just up the size from the monster advancement rules. Enlarge Person only grants the recipient +2 Str and -2 Dex in addition to the -1 size penalty to attacks and AC while advancing to large gives +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, and +2 Natural Armour in addition to the size penalties.

For a CR increase the natural size advancement is the way to go, maybe another 2 HD to get that +2 total CR.

Irreverent Fool
2009-06-13, 09:20 AM
I regards to enlarge person, it's be better to simply just up the size from the monster advancement rules. Enlarge Person only grants the recipient +2 Str and -2 Dex in addition to the -1 size penalty to attacks and AC while advancing to large gives +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, and +2 Natural Armour in addition to the size penalties.

For a CR increase the natural size advancement is the way to go, maybe another 2 HD to get that +2 total CR.

Almost all templates that increase size will have those adjustments as well.

So a basic 'large' template would just use the info about a third of the way down this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm) under the heading 'size increases'. Apply all the relevant changes and add +1 CR as listed further down under 'Advanced Monster Challenge Rating/Increasing size. "Size increased to large or larger: +1 CR" . It's all in the Monster Manual.

Edit: I just realized this is what you suggested at the end of your post, OP. Don't feel bad about it. Unless you want to add further abilities, this is really the way to go. You're not even bending the rules. It's all laid out.

Edit Edit: Also realized you didn't mention you had the MM... so um... it's all in the SRD :smallbiggrin:

obnoxious
sig