PDA

View Full Version : Joke PrC, but a good one if you get the reference!

Gerrtt
2006-07-25, 09:25 PM
So, I've been working with my dad for a few days now that I'm done with college (trying to earn a few bucks ya know) and yesterday I had my mp3 player on and one of my favorite songs came on, "Holding out for a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler. Anyways...I got the idea to make a very silly prestige class based on the song and 24 hours later, viola! This isn't meant to be taken seriously of course. Just for fun :)

The Hero!
“I need a hero, I’m holding out for a hero till the morning light!”

The Hero is the epitome of the knight who comes to save the princess at the end of the story. He charges in, slays her captors and rides off with her hanging on to his armor while his mighty stallion gallops towards their wedding.

HD: 1d12
Skill Points at 1st level: 4 x (4 + intelligence modifier)
Skill Points at each additional level: 4 + intelligence modifier.
BaB: As Fighter
Saves: As Monk

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Spot, and Survival.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Hero is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as with all forms of armor and shields (except tower shields).

Class Abilities:

Where have all the good men gone?: Beginning at first level, the Hero has an aura of good and law equivalent to a caster of his level at all times. This aura can be concealed with a concentration check of 10 + Hero Class level, and doing so is a full round action. *This aura is of course, visible to damsels in distress.

Isn’t there a white knight, upon a fiery steed?: Beginning at first level, the Hero’s aura also extends to any mount he is riding, except this aura is visible to all creatures and appears as white flames.

Strong, fast, and fresh from the fight!: Beginning at 3rd level the Hero gains a +2 bonus to strength, dexterity, and constitution whenever he successfully kills a foe, this bonus lasts for 1 hour per HD of the creature slain (to a maximum of the Hero’s HD). At 7th level the maximum bonus the Hero can have increases to +4, at 12th level +6, and at 16th level +8. This bonus stacks with all others.

Sure, soon, and larger than life!: Beginning at 4th level, the Hero is able to cast Enlarge Person as a divine spell once per day. At 8th level he is able to cast the spell twice per day.

Somewhere after midnight, in my wildest fantasy: At 5th level the Hero is able to sense the dreams of imprisoned maidens within 10 miles per level. These dreams do not give away her location, but only that there is one in peril. At 7th level this ability can be used in conjunction with Someone reaching back for me.

Someone reaching back for me: At 7th level, the hero can use his own dreams/meditative state (induced by a DC 20 concentration check) to sense the direction of an imprisoned maiden that he knows about. This ability has no chance of failure, her location is always revealed.

Racing on the Thunder: At 9th level, the Hero’s mount does 2d6 sonic damage whenever it hits with a natural attack.

Rising with the Heat: At 11th level, the Hero can stand from prone as a free action, and when doing so his weapon is wreathed in flames for a split second. During this time he can make one free attack against the nearest creature as a swift action. This action provokes an attack of opportunity from the creature. The attack has a 2d6 fire damage bonus if it hits.

Through the wind and the chill and the rain: At 13th level, the Hero gains a 10-foot bonus to his movement speed. This bonus stacks with all other forms of speed increase. At 17th level the speed bonus increases again by another 10 feet.

Feeling his approach: At 16th level, a maiden can sense the Hero coming to her rescue and, if she dreams about it, the Hero gains a +5 bonus to all attacks, damage and saving throws which stacks with all others for 24 hours.

Like a fire in the blood: At 16th level, the Hero gains fire resistance 20.

I need a hero!: At 20th level, the Hero becomes a paragon of heroism. He is no longer susceptible to fear, he gains a +5 natural armor bonus (which stacks with an existing natural armor bonus if his race has one), and his strength, dexterity, constitution, and charisma permanently increase by 4.

Let the non-chalent critiques begin! ;D

*Doh...I labled it as a PrC, it's not, but I can't change the title of the topic now, it's a regular class obviously (hence the 20 levels).

Nerd-o-rama
2006-07-25, 09:26 PM
...this is one of those times I don't know which movie it will shame me more to think of: Shrek 2 or Short Circuit 2.

Gerrtt
2006-07-25, 09:30 PM
I'm gonna say Short Circuit 2...just cause it's an older movie. Good job just the same.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-07-25, 09:37 PM
Short Circuit 2 came to mind first for me.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-07-25, 09:40 PM
Well, same here, but it was followed quickly by the other. I dunno, something about an overweight fairy doing karaoke/Godzilla-sized cookie montage sticks in my mind.

Even if it was a Witches Abroad ripoff.

The Demented One
2006-07-25, 09:43 PM
Pretty sure it's a song. Nice idea, don't have time to look over the mechanics.

Gerrtt
2006-07-25, 09:46 PM
Oh it's definitely a song...a song that appeared in both Short Circuit 2 and Shrek 2.

Falrin
2006-07-25, 09:52 PM
Also he'll need some knowledge skills. From royalty to social behaviour.

Raum
2006-07-25, 09:56 PM
It was also in Footloose. Made it into a lot of movies it seems.

Jarl
2006-07-26, 03:40 AM
Bandits, too.

-Looks good to me. Though "Where's the Streetwise Hercules" seems to suggest to me some kind of... oh, wait, class skills, I see, you've got it covered.

Wehrkind
2006-07-26, 03:52 AM
I am fairly certain the reference to a "fiery steed" did not imply the horse was actually on fire... but it is a pretty funny mental picture.

There probably should be a "flaming blade" or some other not so subtle gay joke in there. I might only be thinking that because a buddy of mine used to play that song all the time and dance around...

MagFlare
2006-07-26, 07:38 AM
...this is one of those times I don't know which movie it will shame me more to think of: Shrek 2 or Short Circuit 2.

Hey, Shrek and its sequel were fine films. Short Circuit 2's a whole different story, for the following reasons:

1.) Generic Male Lead and Generic Love Interest couldn't be bothered to return, leaving us in the less than completely capable hands of Generic Ethnic Comic Relief.
2.) They changed Generic Ethnic Comic Relief's last name between films, either because they thought "Jahrvi" was easier to pronounce than "Jabituya," or else through indifference. I'd put money on the second one there.
3.) Generic Ethnic Comic Relief was played by a white guy with dark makeup and a funny accent, which is about half a step away from Al Jolson's blackface routine in terms of racial sensitivity.
4.) Johnny 5 replaced his kickass laser cannon with a hang glider. A hang glider. How many problems arise that can be better resolved with a hang glider than with a kickass laser cannon? Not many, I'd bet.

Squangos
2006-07-26, 08:46 AM
…You can change the name of the topic. I've done it myself. Twice.
There weren't as many posts in either topic as there are in this one, but…

So, d12 hit die, full BAB, all good saves, 4+int skill points, proficient in all simple and martial weapons, all armour and all but the tower shield… Bit powerful, but its not that serious a class.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-07-26, 11:13 AM
MagFlare: yeah, good points all. SC2's just an ingrained part of my childhood, back when I couldn't tell the difference between an Indian (South Asian or Native American) and a white guy in makeup. Or a good movie from a lame one, for that matter.

And I'm a big Terry Pratchett fan, so it just amuses me to point out things that seem to be following his novels, as opposed to the typical other way around. Shrek 2 was distinctly lacking in voodoo, though...

MagFlare
2006-07-26, 12:43 PM
MagFlare: yeah, good points all. SC2's just an ingrained part of my childhood, back when I couldn't tell the difference between an Indian (South Asian or Native American) and a white guy in makeup. Or a good movie from a lame one, for that matter.

Yeah - I, too, remember SC2 being much better when I was nine. Poor Johnny, the years have not been kind to you...

And I'm a big Terry Pratchett fan, so it just amuses me to point out things that seem to be following his novels, as opposed to the typical other way around. Shrek 2 was distinctly lacking in voodoo, though...

Much to its detriment. Everything's better with zombies. And gumbo.

Oeryn
2006-07-26, 01:06 PM
Well, if nothing else, you've got the song stuck in my head.

Well done. :-/

Gnorosch
2006-07-26, 02:26 PM
That remembers me of the old "Ivanhoe" cartoon, the powers fit. Just that Ivanhoe got mystical aid from King Richard Lionheart when trying to defend his throne against prince John and his lackeys.