PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding V's deal with the fiends (spoilers, probably)

Generic Name #6
2009-06-13, 03:19 AM
Is there anything that would force the Chaotic fiend to honor his agreement to only take V's soul for the same length as the splice? Chaotic beings generally don't care much about contracts.

Kaytara
2009-06-13, 03:41 AM
I'm guessing that yes - namely, the same universal powers that stop the IFCC from intervening on the Material Plane directly when not making a bargain. If the equal time thing is a magical effect, then his alignment won't matter much. Besides, he is part of the IFCC entity and thus subject to the rules they have set up for themselves, and they seem to have decided to use verbal contracts when it suits them.

tomandtish
2009-06-13, 04:41 AM
General rule is that fiends are bound by the letter of the agreement, and will not/can not do anything that violates those letters.

However, there are always loopholes and interpretational differences.

If the IFCC uses their time with V to commit acts of unspeakable evil, is he responsible for them? For example, while controlling V they use him to destroy two villages and set loose a demon. V dies and goes to whatever place his soul would go to (yes, I know elves don't normally have souls, but Rich has certainly indicated V does). When V dies, he may have to try and defend what happened, and be hampered by the fact that he WILLINGLY allowed them access to his soul.

I did notice that the IFCC was careful to say that the splice souls couldn't directly affect his alignment, not that THEY (the IFCC) couldn't or wouldn't, and nothing was said about whether or not the agreement itself might be seen by other powers (the ones who decide where you go) as evil anyway.

As an analogy (and maybe not a good one), My friends decide to participate in a simple corner store robbery. The store is supposed to be closed and no one present. I have the only car, so I agree to drive them there (knowing what they are doing). Turns out the owner is there working late, and my friends shoot and kill him.

In the USA, that is felony murder, and the law views me just as guilty of it as my friends.

V may not "know" what the fiends will do with him during their time, but it would require a much lower intelligence than his to not realize that it is probably evil.

Bottom line: Even holding to the letter of the agreement, there are certainly ways this could be written where V's soul ends up in evil hands anyway (outside the time of the agreement).