PDA

View Full Version : Archmage's High Arcana as Metamagic Feat Prerequs

Chrizzt
2009-06-13, 04:08 AM
Hello Folks!

Some of the Archmages High Arcana emulate effects of metamagic feats: Arcane Reach, Mastery of Shaping and Mastery of Elements.

There are metamagic feats that can accomplish similiar effects to those High Arcana's, although most times not so efficiently.

Therefore, my question to you, my fellow players:

Consider the epic Prc "Arcane Lord" in Dragon#297. It require's you to have 5 metamagic feats (or item creation feats).

Would you consider it appropriate to let those three High Arcana count as metamagic feats for entry in Prestige Classes, like the example above, that require a certain amount of metamagic feats? (Of course, concering the example above one would still need at least two more metamagic feats or item creation feats to fulfill the prereqs)

Technically High Arcana's aren't, but beside the loss of a spellslot they are better than their corresponding metamagic feats.

What do you think?

Thanks in Advance!

Keld Denar
2009-06-13, 04:18 AM
No. They are special abilities that are similar to, but not actual feats. There is no limit to usage per day, and no level adjustment. They are not feats. Thus, they don't qualify you for Arcane Lord.

Unless your DM actually says they do. But RAW, they don't.

Chrizzt
2009-06-13, 04:34 AM
Sorry, I should have asked my question more precise. I know that by RAW they don't count as metamagic feats.

I was just interested in your opinion whether you would consider them appropriate RAI-wise.

The Prereqs of such PrC like Arcane Lord are to make sure the Character has quite some skill on the field of altering spells and magic. Those High Arcana do the same.

Justin B.
2009-06-13, 04:39 AM
Rules and balance wise- Definately not.

Roleplaying and story wise- absolutely.

The Prestige Class requires you to have those metamagic feats as a measure of arcane knowledge. The High Arcana represents that idea without fail.

That would just be my interpretation.

quick_comment
2009-06-13, 11:51 AM
From a common sense point of view, I dont see how you can say that mastery of elements doesnt count as being elemental substitution.

From a mechanics point of view, no.

The Glyphstone
2009-06-13, 11:54 AM
Well, from a completely strict interpretation that way (the common sense approach), Master of Elements would count as five metamagic feats on its own, since you can Substitute for any element of your choice. Which is silly.

Yuki Akuma
2009-06-13, 11:57 AM
If a PrC/feat/etc. requires you to have Reach Spell, and you have the Arcane Reach ability, I'd allow you to take the PrC or feat or whatever.

If the PrC says "five metamagic feats", then no, certainly not.