PDA

View Full Version : Magic item to allow sight

LibraryOgre
2009-06-13, 01:16 PM
So, in our Pathfinder game, we accidentally got a local NPC wizard blinded, and his tongue removed (in the interest of multi-tasking, we asked him to investigate a swamp through his crystal ball; the dragon with her army of lizardmen took exception, had him kidnapped and tortured).

Now, no one is capable of regenerating his eyes or tongue, but we'd kinda like to at least alleviate his suffering a little. Using only Druid spells of 2nd level or lower, or priest spells of 3rd level or lower, or wizard cantrips (not sure what our two wizards are capable of, or willing to do), what magic items would you fashion to allow him to see and speak? Remove Blindness/Deafness has, incidentally, been established to not work for this character, due to the extent of his injuries.

Douglas
2009-06-13, 01:35 PM
Assuming non-Pathfinder 3.5 sources are allowed, the Blindfold of True Darkness from Magic Item Compendium would be perfect, provided you can either buy it or your wizards have See Invisibility. Other than that, all I can think of is talking your DM into allowing a custom item of Blindsight (Cleric 3, Spell Compendium), but going by the formula that would be rather expensive.

Flickerdart
2009-06-13, 02:04 PM
A scroll of Regenerate will do the trick, and should be cheaper than any magic item.

Yora
2009-06-13, 02:06 PM
Blindsight helps a lot. But unfortunately, he's a wizard. And can't read with blindsight.
As his own eyes are of no use anymore, I'd say he'd to see through other eyes. Magic items come to mind first, but maybe his familiar could lend him his eyes too?
I don't think there's a spell in any books, but you could have one researched for him. As he has to learn the spell before he can cast it, I think you still need to get an expert hired. With the spells of your party, I don't think there's much you can do to let him read again.

Clearcoyance has the exact effect he needs, but it has a duration of only 1 min/level. Making that one permanent would cost a LOT of money.
A variant of prying eyes would also work, but that spell is 5th level, so it also will get expensive. The spell allows you to create 1d4+CL magical eyes which last for 1 hour/CL. A 9th level caster would have 10 to 13 eyes that last for 9 hours. If you could create an item that allows him to activate only one eye at a time, that's enough to make him last through the day with lots of surpls eyes. If you limit it, that the magical eyes always have to be in the location of for example the jewel in his headband, that would drop the price a lot. But of cause, that's a lot of customization of the spell and the gm would have to allow it. And you need to get a 9th level wizard who can create wondrous items on top of that, which might be a problem.

Zaq
2009-06-13, 02:37 PM
While it is definitely not within the list of sources you mentioned, the first thing that leaps to my mind is the 1st-level power Synesthete. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm) Since it's such a low-level power, perhaps you can research or fudge something similar, or find a low-level psion NPC who knows it?

There's also the 1st-level Wizard/Cleric/Bard spell Scholar's Touch, from Races of Destiny. It lets you read a book in one round just by touching it... and I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually mention that you have to use your eyes. Since it's a Cleric spell, your Cleric will know it automatically, which is handy. It doesn't let him see properly, but it at least lets him read, which is a start.

cherez
2009-06-13, 03:18 PM
If you can get some Universal Items crafted, the Synesthete and Create Sound powers should do what you want. Since they're both 1st level powers, an item to give an always-on effect would cost 2000 gp each.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-13, 03:35 PM
So, in our Pathfinder game, we accidentally got a local NPC wizard blinded, and his tongue removed (in the interest of multi-tasking, we asked him to investigate a swamp through his crystal ball; the dragon with her army of lizardmen took exception, had him kidnapped and tortured).

Now, no one is capable of regenerating his eyes or tongue, but we'd kinda like to at least alleviate his suffering a little. Using only Druid spells of 2nd level or lower, or priest spells of 3rd level or lower, or wizard cantrips (not sure what our two wizards are capable of, or willing to do), what magic items would you fashion to allow him to see and speak? Remove Blindness/Deafness has, incidentally, been established to not work for this character, due to the extent of his injuries.

It does not matter whether you can find an official magic item to make him see or talk. Since the wizard can't study his spells, he can't prepare. Since he can't speak well, he can't use verbal components. Essentially the character is worthless and should be replaced if he can't see somehow.

The real question is does the player and the DM want a "blind" and "mute" wizard? That is have a character that has no eyes and speaks but sees in and cast spells in some other way? Examples could be some kind of magic item that lets him see, a feat that lets him see through his familiars eyes, or actually leave him blind but with blindsight and let him use a Braille-like spell book. And perhaps he can relearn to speak or he gets a, literal, silver tongue. If done right, anyone of these leaves a playable that retains traits from his backstory. Cost should not be an issue.

Or you could return his sight through remove blindness or regeneration or heal or magic sight restoring fountain, regardless of RAW or cost, and thereby get back the usefulness of the character. The character still has the backstory but does not retain the trait. You could even choose to play him as affected by the experience. For example, perhaps he's afraid of darkness or dragons.

Or, make the character an NPC and roll a new character.

The lesson here, is not for the players but for the DM. Never do something to character if you are not willing to meet the consequences. You don't have a monster attack the character, if you are not willing to risk the character dying at that point. You don't blind and mute the wizard, or cut the arms off the fighter or the hands of the thief, if you are not willing to have the character leave the game, or you have someway to have the character deal with the problem. You don't just dump a problem like that on the player.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-06-13, 03:42 PM

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that if it is just damage, Cure x Wounds ought to fix him up. With GM permission, perhaps Lesser Restoration might be able to help him.

Clairaudience/Clairvoyance might do the trick. 3rd level Wizard Divination spell. That would at least let him see.

Kornaki
2009-06-13, 03:48 PM

The real lesson is RTFP! He's talking about an NPC

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-13, 07:19 PM
The real lesson is RTFP! He's talking about an NPC

Ok. I was wrong about it being a pc. But if it's an npc then everything I said still applies...if the pcs care about the npc.

If the game is find the splatbook that let's you be a blind and mute wizard that is one thing.

If the game os how to make this chararacter a viable wizard in-game, that is another thing.

If it is an in-game problem, then the solution is in-game and should be discussed with the dm.

Maube the blind npc is meant to be a blind npc.

Maybe the pcs can somehow work to payback the money for a regenerate spell.

However, it is resolved, it would be best for the players and dm to understand what each expects about this in-game "problem".

J.Gellert
2009-06-14, 05:48 AM
Get him a grafted eye or two... They come in many varieties in Fiend Folio. But I don't know pathfinder well so I'm not sure if they work together.

BobVosh
2009-06-14, 05:55 AM
Get him a grafted eye or two... They come in many varieties in Fiend Folio. But I don't know pathfinder well so I'm not sure if they work together.

They are made to be very compatible. 3.5 is closer to pathfinder than 3.0.

Pony up for a scroll of regeneration has my vote. It is just a CL check to cast a scroll higher than you can prepare. DC is equal to 1+Scrolls Caster level. So on a 3 you would be fine.

Haven
2009-06-14, 06:11 AM
I'd have to agree with the "scroll of regenerate" option. I like the uniqueness of the "Synesthete/Create Sound" suggestion, but he probably wouldn't be able to cast spells that way.

LibraryOgre
2009-06-14, 11:23 AM
I talked it over with my GM yesterday, and he said the scroll was probably the best option; it's entirely possible that the NPC will buy the scroll, have his friend the 6th level priest read it, and go about his merry way, paranoid as all hell and unwilling to do us favors.