PDA

View Full Version : Make Some New Warlock Invocations

TSED
2009-06-13, 02:10 PM
Warlocks are awesome. Some players don't like sitting down and figuring out which spells they want to be able to cast that day. Some players don't like casting a spell because they're worried they'll need it later (ie: resource hoarders, of which I am one).

Warlocks solve both problems at once.

But there aren't many invocations to choose from.

So I'm sure a bunch of invocations have been made by YOU, an X in the Playground!
Mind sharing some?

(Bonus points: apparently incarnum and binder-thingies were popular too, if you have some of those lying around why not add them to the bin?)

TengYt
2009-06-13, 02:13 PM
Probably best to ask this over at the Homebrew forum. Interesting question, though. I quite like Warlocks and I'd like to see some new Invocations people have made as well.

TSED
2009-06-13, 02:48 PM
Probably best to ask this over at the Homebrew forum. Interesting question, though. I quite like Warlocks and I'd like to see some new Invocations people have made as well.

A durrrrr.

I should have, and have no idea why I did not.

Attention mods: mind moving this? (Thanks, and sorry.)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 02:56 PM
Check Complete Mage and Dragon Magic.

TSED
2009-06-13, 03:14 PM
Check Complete Mage and Dragon Magic.

Yeah, that's two books. There's some in... Cityscape or some such? too.

And an Underdark book.

They're not particularly good invocations... but still, just the fact that they exist is good enough to warrant their praise.

But it's not enough!

Zaq
2009-06-13, 04:07 PM
Yeah, the only WotC invocations I know are in Complete Arcane, Complete Mage, Magic of Incarnum, Drow of the Underdark, Cityscape, and Dragon Magic.

I think there MIGHT be a couple in an Eberron book somewhere, but I'm not as intimately familiar with Eberron as with the generic unspecified setting.

jseah
2009-06-13, 04:43 PM
Why not make a few basic ones?

Eg.
Heat/Cool
Minor Telekinesis/Weight
Light/Darkness
Mind Probe
Illusion
Summon
Transmute
Buff (call it Aid or something)
Minor Heal
Minor Teleport

And then go on from there to everything else. Make them work like eldritch blast but even more generic. (eg. Heat means you heat something. That's it) Then give them alteration options like eldritch blast has.

IMO, this is how the magic system should have been like.

pyrefiend
2009-06-13, 05:55 PM
I started a thread on this same subject a while ago. The results are here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67947).

13_CBS
2009-06-13, 06:04 PM
I started a thread on this same subject a while ago. The results are here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67947).

I contributed to that one! :smallbiggrin:

Maybe we could make a new thread for it, so people can come up with more invocations?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-13, 06:38 PM
I think one of the creators has said that they were balanced by taking the level at which a Sorc could have access to it as much as they want, and making the Invocation that level. It seems about right, IMHO.