PDA

View Full Version : The Adventurer's Epitome: PrC help [PEACH]

Catch
2006-07-25, 04:08 PM
[Edit:] Added the mandatory fruit reference. Maybe that will draw some attention. ::) Also added prerequisites.

For a while now, I've been looking for a PrC that really fits the adventurer archetype. Part duelist, part sneak, part spellcaster, and the jack of all trades who's seen and done just about everything. I've been trying to fit all that into a character (without playing a bard), so I really wanted to make a PrC that fit what I was thinking of.

The difficulty lies in that I haven't made a class in so long, I'm having difficulty spacing out the abilities over ten levels. Here's what I have so far:

Prerequisites:

BAB: +4, 8 ranks in any three skills.

Just enough to make it attainable at level 5, I think. Nothing all that steep; this isn't supposed to be an extremley powerful or exlusive class.

Hit die: d8
BAB: As Cleric
Saves: Poor Fortitide, Strong Reflex and Will
Skills: 6+int, class skills as Expert

Wanderer's Knowledge: Same as Bardic Knowledge.

Experienced: Treats all (Trained Only) skills as having 1/2 rank, and gains an insight bonus to any one skill (whether you have ranks in it or not), which is chosen at the beginning of each day.

I plan on starting the bonus at +2, and then increasing to +4, and finally +6, and with each upgrade, it takes less time to change which skill gains a bonus. I.e., 1 day, then 1 hour, then five minutes. This ability is to simulate the "Jack of All Trades" idea, and favoring the idea of adaptability.

Canny: Gains an insight bonus to attack rolls or AC (your choice) and can be changed at the beginning of your turn.

I'll start this off at +1, and then increase it to +2.

Jaded: Gains a luck bonus to all saves.

Same as before, I'll start this off at +1, and then increase it to +2.

Lucky: May reroll one d20 roll per day, but must accept the second result.

Fearless: Self explanatory.

I'll probably use this for the 10th level ability.

I'm also thinking of adding Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge, as they fit the archetype.

Now, I want spellcasting for this class, but not much. I was thinking of using the Assassin's spell progression, though with a different spell list. Mostly utility spells and buffs, I think, with maybe a healing spell or illusion tossed in there for kicks.

So, now that I've outlined what I want to do, can you pleasant and supremely knowledgable folks assist me in spacing things out over ten levels and making it mechanically sound? That would help me immensely. Heck, I'll even let you name it.

kailin
2006-07-25, 04:27 PM
What level do you want players to be able to take it? Make some requirements.

Looks ok. I was worried that you'd just throw everything in, but it's not overwhelming or stuffed with all the features of every base class.

I assume that those abilities will follow a progression, like every two levels or so. Toss in spellcasting and you've got you a class.

Not that you have gone overboard, but be careful you don't do so with the spell list. I'd mush together some combination of the assassin, bard, and ranger spells, not giving too much of anything -- utility, blasting, healing, etc -- and have them cast as bards. If bard spellcasting progression is too good, then tone it down to assassin.

Laser_Ghost
2006-07-25, 04:46 PM
Hmm.

They get a bard ability, a chameleon-esque ability, a couple of abilities roughly equivalent to magic equipment upgrades, that one luck thing, and a paladin ability as a capstone ability. Oh, and limited spellcasting. Maybe rogue abilities.

They don't seem to have much in the way of unique or defining characteristics. Even if you're fine with that, this class seems a little weak. Does someone else have an opinion on this?

If you are using it as-is, this seems like a reasonable progression:

1. Wanderer's Knowledge, Experienced (+2, change once/day)
2. Canny +1
3. Jaded +1
4. Uncanny Dodge
5. Lucky, Experienced (+4, change once/hour)
6. -
7. Canny +2
8. Jaded +2
9. Imp. Uncanny Dodge, Experienced (+6, change once/5min)
10. Fearless

I'm a bit annoyed about that blank level there, and not too sure about the Experienced progression. Also, you might want to look at the Ardent Dilettante, although the requirements for that one do get a little ridiculous, and you seem to be going more for a "grizzled adventure vet" thing, judging by the names of the abilities.

Speaking of requirements, you need them. I'm not really sure what they should be.

endoperez
2006-07-25, 04:46 PM
What kind of spells are you going to give him? I've wanted to see a 'wide' arcane caster for some time - knows lots of/all spells, can cast them (more or less) spontaneously, but pays for it by not getting high-level spells. Still, being able to cast any one 1st-level spell is a good ability, probably better than 're-roll any one roll once/day' because of all the utility spells that are balanced off by the fact that they aren't usually worth memorizing.

Catch
2006-07-25, 05:12 PM
They don't seem to have much in the way of unique or defining characteristics. Even if you're fine with that, this class seems a little weak. Does someone else have an opinion on this?

I was thinking that Experienced was the defining characteristic (I originally called it "Knack"), but now it doesn't seem that way. The idea of shuffling around the bonuses was my main idea, and I originally had it work for the Jaded ability as well, but I decided on just a generic bonus to all saves. I might swap that out for a higher single bonus that can be changed every few minutes or so.

I guess I'm trying to make the character that can cover a lot of bases, and shine when it really counts. In terms of crunch, I'm a little stuck on that part.

If you are using it as-is, this seems like a reasonable progression:

1. Wanderer's Knowledge, Experienced (+2, change once/day)
2. Canny +1
3. Jaded +1
4. Uncanny Dodge
5. Lucky, Experienced (+4, change once/hour)
6. -
7. Canny +2
8. Jaded +2
9. Imp. Uncanny Dodge, Experienced (+6, change once/5min)
10. Fearless

That works, thanks. Though I agree that it should have a 6th level ability. Maybe a bonus feat?

Or something like this:

Reliable: Once per day, the [class name] may add his class level to a single attack roll, ability check, damage roll, saving throw, or skill check.

Something along the lines of "strength when you need it." That's kind of my idea for the class.

Also, you might want to look at the Ardent Dilettante, although the requirements for that one do get a little ridiculous, and you seem to be going more for a "grizzled adventure vet" thing, judging by the names of the abilities.

I did look up the Ardent Dilettante, and I see what you mean. I was actually thinking of using "Seen It Before" as an ability name, but I went with Jaded instead. I'm really trying to make a "been there, done that" sort of character concept, so that's a pretty good referrence, thanks.

In terms of spellcasting, I've decided on the Assassin's spells per day/spells known progression, but I'm still dragging my feet about what spells can be chosen. I'd say that any spell from any list would be a bit much, but I like to think that this class would have a basic spell knowledge, with a few odd spells here and there. I'm thinking any spell from the Abjuration, Divination, Transmutation and Illusion schools, and gaining the Advanced Learning abiltity once or twice. That way, the spells known can vary, but all fall within certain limits. And with Advanced Learning (i'll call it something else), they can have one or two (I'm leaning closer to two) spells that are unique.

Any more thoughts? (Thanks for all the help, by the way)