PDA

View Full Version : Planum Commedia

Mad Mask
2009-06-13, 03:10 PM
Hello all, and welcome to

http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/logo.png

Planum Commedia is a fancomic in the Avbaroy series (yep, you can't have too many of them :smallbiggrin:). But unlike the rest of them, Planum Commedia is not about the backstory of a current ABR character, but about the one of the whole planet, more specifically its Afterlife.

Planum Commedia will follow the trials and troubles of a man, as he journeys through the history of the Avbaroy afterlife.

-Current comic-
Comic #11 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc11.png)

-Archives-

Act I
Comic #1 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc1.png)
Comic #2 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc2.png)
Comic #3 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc3.png)
Comic #4 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc4.png)
Comic #5 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc5.png)
Comic #6 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc6.png)
Comic #7 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc7.png)
Comic #8 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc8.png)
Comic #9 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc9.png)
Comic #10 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc10.jpg)
Comic #11 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc11.png)

Extras
Guest Comic By Onasuma (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pcg1.png)
Guest Comic By the Randomizer (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pcg2.png)

Szilard
2009-06-14, 10:21 AM
Awesomeness.:smallbiggrin:

This explains all the voting we had to do on cosmology and gods and stuff.

T-O-E
2009-06-14, 10:29 AM
Interesting... Good work on panel 2. Very impressive.

Will be reading.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-14, 10:30 AM
This should certainly be an interesting comic to read.

Szilard
2009-06-14, 10:36 AM
Now that I look closer, I can see that the god was coming into being in the 5th panel. Very good.

memnarch
2009-06-14, 11:21 AM
Hm. *subscribes*

The Gremlin
2009-06-14, 11:49 AM
Okay, so far, this is pure awesomesauce. I love the art on the second panel, it's incredible.

SinisterPenguin
2009-06-14, 11:59 AM
This is looking pretty interesting. I know I've said this before, MM, but your art is amazing.

Mad Mask
2009-06-14, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :smallsmile:

Additionally, comic #2 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc2.png) and #3 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc3.png) are up, introducing the main character, Bernard.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-14, 01:18 PM
And things continue to be interesting :smallbiggrin:

Ichneumon
2009-06-14, 01:21 PM
Fascinating comic, hope it is understandable for people who don't follow ABR so closely?

-skimmer-
2009-06-14, 01:25 PM
Incredible art:smallsmile:

I'm going to read this...

Mad Mask
2009-06-14, 01:27 PM
I have a question: when would be the best time to update the comic ? I would like to update the comic on a date that is not used a lot by the majority of webcomic artists.

Fascinating comic, hope it is understandable for people who don't follow ABR so closely?

I think so. It will mainly be about new things and new characters, so you don't have to know anything about Avbaroy to understand the main plot.

Tiffanie Lirle
2009-06-14, 01:28 PM
Ah, I've been waiting for you to finally make your comic MM. I've got high hopes for this one. Tis a decent start so far, if a tad humorless though. :smalltongue:

Wreckingrocc
2009-06-14, 01:39 PM
Wow, very nice start. Let's hope you can maintain this awesomeness.

Try updating Mondays. Nobody ever does Mondays (unless they update daily).

If you want to do multiple a week, perhaps also Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, though, update days don't usually matter. Just estimate how often you plan to update (1/week? 2/week? 4/week?) and pick a schedule that will allow you to have the easiest time updating. With 4/week, you might wanna go Sun/Tues/Thurs/Sat, since you'd then have time to work on the weekend comics the day of, and the weekday comics the day preceding it in addition to the day of, since you'll probably be doing more on the weekdays.

I have high hopes for this, though. Just make sure you're entertained in drawing them. The main turn off for artistry is boredom of the artist.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-14, 01:54 PM
If you're thinking of updating more than once a week, try and figure out the average time it takes you to make a comic and go by that.

It generally takes me 2 days to make a comic (One for scripting, one for comicry), but I like to have some free time for myself and a couple extra days in case I need to make another comic for buffer or other reasons.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-06-14, 02:02 PM
I say screw regular updates! I never cared for 'em! I just update wildly and randomly, whenever I feel like making a comic!

That's the most satisfying, I would think. Nobody breathing down your neck for updates (for course, that could be because nobody cares about my story, but probably not). :smallcool:

T-O-E
2009-06-14, 02:03 PM
I say screw regular updates! I never cared for 'em! I just update wildly and randomly, whenever I feel like making a comic!

That's the most satisfying, I would think. Nobody breathing down your neck for updates (for course, that could be because nobody cares about my story, but probably not). :smallcool:

I prefer regular updates to random ones. Gives me something to look forward to.

EDIT:

Try updating Mondays. Nobody ever does Mondays (unless they update daily).

What? Monday's probably the most common.

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-14, 05:18 PM
Finaly, i've been waiting for this.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-14, 05:28 PM
Just a few points:

In page 1:
-Frame #11 "Leave your old left." should probably be "Leave your old life."

In page 2:
-Frame #1 "Where I am?" should be "Where am I?"
-Frame #4 "...by the Great Hunter and live eternelly..." should be "...by the Great Hunter and live eternally..."

And I think it'd look better if the portal entry was more curved than a straight line.

Mad Mask
2009-06-14, 05:38 PM
Thanks, it's fixed now. :smallsmile:

Szilard
2009-06-14, 07:12 PM
Sundays and Wednesdays for two a week, or Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday or Friday for three a week. Any For four/five a week, do one every other day.
Or just do it randomly.

Wreckingrocc
2009-06-14, 08:04 PM

That's the most satisfying, I would think. Nobody breathing down your neck for updates (for course, that could be because nobody cares about my story, but probably not). :smallcool:Eh. You get less viewers with irregular updates; people will either come back to check in an obsessive manner, or they won't really check at all. The comics with regular updates can expect certain viewers at certain hours. It's nicer for the readers, and it keeps people coming back and reading it.

memnarch
2009-06-15, 01:16 AM
Regular updates are very nice, even if it is just once a week.

Sunday is the least used for webcomics I read, followed by Saturday. Szilard said everything of importance, so....

Comic; is he the same being as the one in the first comic?

Mad Mask
2009-06-15, 05:29 AM
Comic; is he the same being as the one in the first comic?

The god in the first comic has glowing eyes, and all the people in the second do not. So no.

Ichneumon
2009-06-15, 05:39 AM
I like the "British" humour in the first two comics.

Nameless
2009-06-15, 06:43 AM
Awesome.
I'll be reading this. :smallsmile:

Green-Shirt Q
2009-06-15, 10:42 AM
Eh. You get less viewers with irregular updates; people will either come back to check in an obsessive manner, or they won't really check at all. The comics with regular updates can expect certain viewers at certain hours. It's nicer for the readers, and it keeps people coming back and reading it.

Perhaps that's true, but you also have to remember to consider your own enjoyment.

Yes, perhaps regular updates would be more enjoyable for the reader, but then I, the writer, would be unhappy! I don't think I could do regular updates. I update when I feel like it. That way it's more of a hobby then a job.

If it was a job, then I probably wouldn't make comics anyway! Sometimes comic making can be hard work if you don't feel like it!

And I think that comics updating sporadically is better then no comic at all.

Then again, if you can tolerate regular updates, I encourage it.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-15, 12:25 PM
Perhaps take a stance like Population: Zero.

Which is, pick a specific day when you might update, and then whenever you manage to make a comic put it up then. That way your readers have a specific day to check for a new comic and you don't have the extreme pressure to make a comic all the time.

Mad Mask
2009-06-15, 04:55 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I've decided to update on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. I'll start normal updates Thursday, since I'm sort of busy for a good part of this week and it will give me some time to build my buffer. :smallsmile:

Fay Graydon
2009-06-15, 05:29 PM
Sorry to be a Kill joy...
But doing a Comic about Avboroy? seems a little too... decisive if you ask me...
I mean, If you were to choose your own planet to play with then heck you could do anything...
But this comic pretty much gives you free reign of what could happen in ABR...
Cuz you could have like things in here that would mean ABR would have cannon restrictions...
So for that reason im going to have to say im not overly fond of the Idea of this comic.
HOWEVER!
Your art is excellent (I'll give you that).

BRC
2009-06-15, 05:35 PM
Sorry to be a Kill joy...
But doing a Comic about Avboroy? seems a little too... decisive if you ask me...
I mean, If you were to choose your own planet to play with then heck you could do anything...
But this comic pretty much gives you free reign of what could happen in ABR...
Cuz you could have like things in here that would mean ABR would have cannon restrictions...
So for that reason im going to have to say im not overly fond of the Idea of this comic.
HOWEVER!
Your art is excellent (I'll give you that).
How does this give him any more power than any other Avboroy member? I could limit things in ABR just as easily by making an ABR comic. I could have an entire UNA swat team decide to join the resistance just like that.

Besides, this comic is in the Afterlife of Avbaroy, so I'ts probably not going to really affect us in ABR.

memnarch
2009-06-15, 05:57 PM
Also, we did have a biggish argument about the origin of the gods and whatnot and came to a consensus.

Fay Graydon
2009-06-15, 06:12 PM
*raises hands in defense*
Hey I'm just saying, Giving any one person a cannon comic with a planets past could be potentially limiting.
And I wasn't aware of the discussions >,,<
Just Glad my characters originate from another Galaxy with their own pantheon of Gods ^,,^

Mad Mask
2009-06-15, 06:13 PM
Hey I'm just saying, Giving any one person a cannon comic with a planets past could be potentially limiting.
Just Glad my characters originate from another Galaxy with their own pantheon of Gods ^,,^

Why are they human then ?

Green-Shirt Q
2009-06-15, 06:17 PM

And I'm glad my characters came from another planet, with their own gods! ^,,^

Fay Graydon
2009-06-15, 06:17 PM
Why are they human then ?

:smallbiggrin: Never once have I refered to them as human! :smallwink:
Its like, why are most Alien's in Sci-Fi films, Bipedal and humanoid in general appearence?

My characters have specific differences that are either unable to be distinguished in Oots style, or are so minute there not worth mentioning.
or are Internal (such as their second storage stomache meaning they eat less often).

^,,^

D= Ma Bat Emote Smily!
Curse you Q! Give it back! >,,<

Mad Mask
2009-06-15, 06:24 PM
:smallbiggrin: Never once have I refered to them as human! :smallwink:
Its like, why are most Alien's in Sci-Fi films, Bipedal and humanoid in general appearence?

Because they don't have enough money to create realistic aliens ? :smallconfused:

I'll keep justifying them as being on an alternate universe Earth.

Fay Graydon
2009-06-15, 06:27 PM
Would you rather they were green and had tentacle faces?

EDIT:
O,,O *Has mental image of my usual avatar but with Cthulu style face*
If I wasn't so lazy Id draw that!
Lawl >,,<

Green-Shirt Q
2009-06-15, 06:32 PM
D= Ma Bat Emote Smily!
Curse you Q! Give it back! >,,<

NEVER! ^,,^

Fay Graydon
2009-06-15, 06:35 PM
Fine... I guess I'll have to take legal action...
I did have it Trade marked with a TM thats too small to see with the naked eye...

Green-Shirt Q
2009-06-15, 06:36 PM
Fine. Have it back.

*gives back smilie*

Why use ^,,^ when I can use :smallbiggrin: ?

Fay Graydon
2009-06-15, 06:42 PM
Fine. Have it back.

*gives back smilie*

Why use ^,,^ when I can use :smallbiggrin: ?

*grabs smilie and returns it to it's furry board*
*makes mental note not to use it outside again*

SinisterPenguin
2009-06-15, 07:15 PM
Because they don't have enough money to create realistic aliens ? :smallconfused:

Oh, c'mon. Do we really need realistic science in ABR, of all things?

VampireRot
2009-06-15, 08:09 PM
>,,>

Stopit. Yous not are vampires.

Grat comic MM. :smallwink: I like it already.

The Gremlin
2009-06-17, 01:28 PM

Yeah, see, the odds of one planet being at all similar to another in inhabitants are incredible small. The only explanation is either alternate universe, or some sort of bond between them.

T-O-E
2009-06-17, 01:38 PM
Well, it's fantasy so...

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-17, 02:03 PM
I usually justify it in the same way nature does.

Clearly, for one species to develop the traits, they must have been useful for their lifestyle. Therefore, there's reason for another species with a similar lifestyle to develop them as well.

Then, as nature refines the traits, they are quite likely to become similar, especially if the two species have similar roots.

Mad Mask
2009-06-17, 02:15 PM
I usually justify it in the same way nature does.

Clearly, for one species to develop the traits, they must have been useful for their lifestyle. Therefore, there's reason for another species with a similar lifestyle to develop them as well.

Then, as nature refines the traits, they are quite likely to become similar, especially if the two species have similar roots.

I agree, but this explanation cannot apply to the identicalness of aliens and humans. Just look at Earth: birds of prey and dragonflies are pretty much built for the same thing (flying and catching prey) but they are radically different. Imagine a life form on another planet, and the differences should be a lot bigger since they don't even have a common ancestry.

Mad Mask
2009-06-18, 07:19 PM
Comic #4 is up (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc4.png).

Things will start getting interesting soon, don't worry.

VampireRot
2009-06-18, 07:23 PM
I like Polemos' expression in the last panel. :smallamused:

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-18, 07:35 PM
Are the starving or strong? :smallconfused:

VampireRot
2009-06-18, 07:39 PM
Are the starving or strong? :smallconfused:

I think Mad Mask is just paying attention to detail. Though they could be strong, seeing as they're primitive humans. Cavemen probably have to be strong to hunt all their food.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-18, 08:19 PM
My doesn't he seem humble...

SinisterPenguin
2009-06-18, 09:05 PM
Hasn't Bernard only met one person on the plane when he says "Everyone hates me and treats me like crap"? Isn't it a little early to be saying that? :smallconfused:

Otherwise, great comic.

Gourtox
2009-06-18, 10:09 PM
Hasn't Bernard only met one person on the plane when he says "Everyone hates me and treats me like crap"? Isn't it a little early to be saying that? :smallconfused:

Otherwise, great comic.

He could of been talking about the magistrate guy too.

Mad Mask
2009-06-21, 08:15 AM
I've made a few adjustments to the comic, namely separating the large comic #2 into two parts.

On another note, Comic #5 is up. (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc5.png)

Yes, Polemos is easily offended. :smallwink:

Fin
2009-06-21, 08:33 AM
Haha Excellent comic Mad Mask! Gotta love callous worshipper slaughter. Keep it up man.

Also 'Suck it up, Soulbag' brilliant line for a minion!

T-O-E
2009-06-21, 08:42 AM
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-21, 09:00 AM
Also 'Suck it up, Soulbag' brilliant line for a minion!

Personally I prefer Soulja boy, but that works too

VampireRot
2009-06-21, 01:19 PM
I think Polemos is an evil god. :smalleek:

That can't be good...

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-21, 07:21 PM
Why is there a naked man in MY cave? :smallfurious:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-21, 07:36 PM
I think Polemos is an evil god. :smalleek:

That can't be good...

Not sure about evil, but quite definitely high-ego slash corrupt with power.

Mad Mask
2009-06-21, 08:17 PM
Polemos is actually a stalwart defender of Celestia who'll do anything in service to his plane, and leads armies of celestials against fiends everyday.

At least whenever he's not torturing his worshippers slaves for his personal enjoyment.

ThePhantom
2009-06-22, 12:55 AM
I foresee a change in ruleship of Celestia in the future.

Mad Mask
2009-06-22, 06:15 AM
I foresee a change in ruleship of Celestia in the future.

You can guess all you want. :smallsmile: Your statement is true, but not in the way you'll expect.

Why is there a naked man in MY cave? :smallfurious:

It's not your cave, and people of this time didn't object to nudity.

And you don't see any private parts, since I censored them. :smallannoyed:

memnarch
2009-06-22, 01:29 PM
Psst! Front page archive!

Re: Naughty bits.
This is OotS style, do you expect there to be enough detail for that sort of thing, even with MM's super detail?

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-22, 01:32 PM
I don't even know why these people are in my cave. *chases them with broom*

Mad Mask
2009-06-22, 01:34 PM
I've updated the archive. :smallsmile:

I don't even know why these people are in my cave. *chases them with broom*

Why do you say it's your cave ?

Is it some joke I don't understand ?

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-22, 01:34 PM
Because it's MY cave.

Mad Mask
2009-06-22, 01:41 PM
Because it's MY cave.

No, it's owned by His Almighty Grace the 17th Saviour of Mankind Lord Polemos (bless him). And your character wasn't even born then.

memnarch
2009-06-22, 01:42 PM
He's just acting silly MM.

Mad Mask
2009-06-22, 01:52 PM
He's just acting silly MM.

In my opinion, that's not silly, that's random. :smallsigh:

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-22, 01:55 PM
Yes, but you're not a normal 11 year old. :smallsigh:

Green-Shirt Q
2009-06-22, 02:04 PM
In my opinion, that's not silly, that's random. :smallsigh:

No. Silly defines it better. Not that that justifies it. :smallannoyed:

The two aren't mutually exclusive, either.

Mad Mask
2009-06-24, 08:12 AM
Comic #6 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc6.png) is up.

I would have uploaded it earlier, but I was too tired. :smallsigh:

Nameless
2009-06-24, 08:59 AM
Wait, if he took his mouth away and they have no noses... How will he breath? :smalleek:

Oh weit, they're already dead. :smalltongue:

Mad Mask
2009-06-24, 09:00 AM
They actually have noses, but Plotus cast invisibility on them. :smalltongue:

Nameless
2009-06-24, 09:23 AM
They actually have noses, but Plotus cast invisibility on them. :smalltongue:

Ah right. :smalltongue:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-24, 09:42 AM
Man, Polemos is a real Richard Cranium.

memnarch
2009-06-24, 05:33 PM
Who's that? :smallconfused:

Also, God-person seems kind of like a jerk.

Mad Mask
2009-06-24, 05:44 PM
Who's that? :smallconfused:

A more polite way of saying the first four letter of Charles Dickens last name + head, no space.

Also, God-person seems kind of like a jerk.

That's an understatement.

memnarch
2009-06-24, 06:11 PM
*facepalm*

I suppose we'll get to see more of that behavior later?

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-24, 06:12 PM
That's an understatement.

Forum word filters prevent us from using anything more profane.

Mad Mask
2009-06-25, 09:23 PM
Comic #7 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc7.png) is up.

Next strip the characters are going to finally leave the dull magma tunnels of Celestia for more... interesting locations. Be ready for some massive landscapes. :smallsmile:

MethosH
2009-06-25, 09:30 PM
@comic 7; pane 6:
Shouldn't it be "I wish I could just strangle him while he sleeps."?

Great comic by the way :smalltongue:

Mad Mask
2009-06-25, 09:38 PM
@comic 7; panel 6:
Shouldn't it be "I wish I could just strangle him while he sleeps."?

Great comic by the way :smalltongue:

That's weird, I saw that typo and immediately forgot about it. :smalltongue:

I'll fix it tomorrow, it's already far too late for me to be awake.

EDIT: Also, obligatory typo when you correct somebody's spelling error. It's really ironic. :smallwink:

MethosH
2009-06-25, 09:51 PM
EDIT: Also, obligatory typo when you correct somebody's spelling error. It's really ironic. :smallwink:

god bless the irony of the universe :smallbiggrin:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-06-26, 10:29 AM
I don't suppose his name is Peter Stone is it? :smallbiggrin:

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-26, 11:28 AM
I don't suppose his name is Peter Stone is it? :smallbiggrin:

... Why is there no indiferent face?

Wreckingrocc
2009-06-27, 07:46 PM
...Wow. I guess this says something about alignment. Good characters don't have to be nice in the least. They're just as prone to being jerks as evil characters. Same with cockiness.

I like it so far. It's very interesting; it's definitely got me wanting to read more. Keep up the great work. Little humor, but it doesn't really matter- it's got a story that's good enough that it doesn't need humor.

Mad Mask
2009-07-05, 03:21 PM
Comic #8 is up. (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc8.png) Regular updates restarting today.

I'll try and give you extra strips to compensate for my three missed comics. :smallsmile:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-07-05, 03:37 PM
This is going to be good and yet I foresee a lot of copy paste coming.

Mad Mask
2009-07-05, 03:45 PM
Comic #9 is up ! (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc9.png) That should give you a clue as to where Celestia currently is.

Don't worry, I won't fall so low as to make one template for every soldier. I've already started making them. :smallbiggrin:

BRC
2009-07-05, 04:31 PM
Don't Diss Copy-pasting. That is pretty much how I do everything ever.

memnarch
2009-07-05, 04:48 PM
Yay! It's starting up again! :smallbiggrin:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-07-05, 05:02 PM
Hmm...

Yugoloths are Neutral Evil, though they tend to function as organisers, which suggests that Celestia is currently placed somewhere between the Abyss and (assuming it exists at this point in time, which is unlikely) the Nine Hells, however they state that they tolerate the Yugoloths so it is likely that Celestia is breaking away from the two locations as good souls become more prevalent.

Then there's the Styx, which runs through the Nine Hells and so probably cuts through where they will be right now.

Which leaves the region still pretty vague, but that does give us a few landmarks to work from.

Mad Mask
2009-07-05, 05:17 PM
Hmm...

Yugoloths are Neutral Evil, though they tend to function as organisers, which suggests that Celestia is currently placed somewhere between the Abyss and (assuming it exists at this point in time, which is unlikely) the Nine Hells, however they state that they tolerate the Yugoloths so it is likely that Celestia is breaking away from the two locations as good souls become more prevalent.

Then there's the Styx, which runs through the Nine Hells and so probably cuts through where they will be right now.

Which leaves the region still pretty vague, but that does give us a few landmarks to work from.

Celestia is a volcano, as evidenced by the smoke in comic #4 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc4.png).

And where is region in which the Styx passes that has volcanoes ? :smallwink:

Also, the Nine Hells did exist at the time, but were a lot different, and had Ancient Baatorians instead of devils. Who may or may not feature in the comic. Plus, the Yugoloths still lived in the Grey Waste of Hades in the time of Planum Commedia.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-07-05, 05:40 PM
Celestia is a volcano, as evidenced by the smoke in comic #4 (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc4.png).

And where is region in which the Styx passes that has volcanoes ? :smallwink:

Also, the Nine Hells did exist at the time, but were a lot different, and had Ancient Baatorians instead of devils. Who may or may not feature in the comic. Plus, the Yugoloths still lived in the Grey Waste of Hades in the time of Planum Commedia.

...holy smeg.

Celestia is presently part of Layer 1, Avernus?! :smalleek:

Nameless
2009-07-05, 06:30 PM
Good comic so far.
But why wasn't I there to reap the souls? Huh? HUH?! O_e

The Gremlin
2009-07-05, 06:37 PM
From my experience, Yugoloths tend the River Styx, and also serve as mercenaries and stuff. However, this is really early on, so it might be different.
EDIT: Wait, I thought that water from the Styx purged your memories? Or is that only a certain part, or something? I can never remember...

Salty
2009-07-05, 06:39 PM
Comic seems cool so far, but in the archives, comics 7, 8, and 9 are all the same comic.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-07-05, 06:51 PM
EDIT: Wait, I thought that water from the Styx purged your memories? Or is that only a certain part, or something? I can never remember...

D&D and Greek mythology are very different things.

Mina Kobold
2009-07-06, 01:45 AM

Those are certain pools inside Hades, the river Styx just contain souls that will try to pull you down with them for the eternity :smalltongue: As far as I remember at least

The Gremlin
2009-07-06, 12:20 PM
Those are certain pools inside Hades, the river Styx just contain souls that will try to pull you down with them for the eternity :smalltongue: As far as I remember at least

Okay, that makes sense. Well, not the souls part. The whole idea of the Styx is that souls are carried across it, not that souls are bound to it. Do the Yugoloths make a practice of tossing the souls out? Yipes.

Mad Mask
2009-07-07, 08:30 PM
New comic is up. (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc10.jpg) Warning: file is super-heavy.

The scary thing is that, in the first panel, the tiny volcano is about the size of Mount Everest. :smalleek:

Green-Shirt Q
2009-07-07, 08:48 PM
I have no clue what that means. :smallconfused:

Nobody explain it too me. I wouldn't read it anyways.

I'll just try to follow along as best I can. :smallsmile:

You're doing a great job there, Mask. And, if it were my choice, you'd be the artist who'd make my guest comic in the upcoming Secret Santa. :smallbiggrin::smallwink::smalltongue:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-07-07, 08:55 PM
This explains the lack of sky shots, we'd have seen the metal cubes :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2009-07-08, 02:22 AM
Okay, that makes sense. Well, not the souls part. The whole idea of the Styx is that souls are carried across it, not that souls are bound to it. Do the Yugoloths make a practice of tossing the souls out? Yipes.

I only know Greek mythology (and Norse, and Egyptian but you get the idea) so I can't say but I think the source I got it from got it wrong (According to wikipedia being doomed to drown forever was not in the river but some muddy waters) Styx actually makes a human immortal (Achilles was dipped in it but held by his heel) and if a god drinks from it they lose their voice for a year and gets exiled for nine. Also from wikipedia it seems that Charon the ferryman (the guy who sails you to hades inner parts) is on another river and not Styx so that might not be it's purpose after all.

The Gremlin
2009-07-09, 02:15 PM
I only know Greek mythology (and Norse, and Egyptian but you get the idea) so I can't say but I think the source I got it from got it wrong (According to wikipedia being doomed to drown forever was not in the river but some muddy waters) Styx actually makes a human immortal (Achilles was dipped in it but held by his heel) and if a god drinks from it they lose their voice for a year and gets exiled for nine. Also from Wikipedia it seems that Charon the ferryman (the guy who sails you to hades inner parts) is on another river and not Styx so that might not be it's purpose after all.

A certain part of the Styx makes you immortal. Charon ferries the Styx.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-07-09, 02:20 PM
The Styx runs through quite a few planes in D&D cosmology, and it does inflict amnesia but not on extraplanar creatures (Living mortals and souls and such are affected, temporarily or permanently depending on exposure).

It's a great travel route for transporting new souls around Baator but you really need to take the risk of losing all the value of the soul in the process unfortunately.

Keris
2009-07-09, 02:32 PM
Charon ferries the Styx.

In Greek mythology, Kharon ferries souls across the river Acheron. In Roman mythology, he ferried them across the Styx.

The Gremlin
2009-07-09, 05:20 PM
In Greek mythology, Kharon ferries souls across the river Acheron. In Roman mythology, he ferried them across the Styx.

You jest. Are you saying that the Styx was Roman?
Also, are you certain it was spelled Kharon? :smallconfused:

Mina Kobold
2009-07-10, 07:59 AM
You jest. Are you saying that the Styx was Roman?
Also, are you certain it was spelled Kharon? :smallconfused:

It was spelled Kharon but now it's spelled Charon (old grammar is confusing)

And the Romans stole everything but the gods names from Greece (I believe Jupiter was what they called Zeus) this includes the five rivers of Hades (Styx and Acheron are two of those)

@Lying: That's because they didn't do the research (I don't blame them, nobody knows anyway and amnesia fits better than immortality in this case)

Mad Mask
2009-07-12, 08:14 PM
Okay, I've now decided to temporarily put Planum Commedia on hold until I finally start the Future Imperfect plot of ABR. This way I'll be able to set my priorities straight and not worry about doing two things at the same time. :smallsmile:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-07-12, 09:47 PM
Okay, I've now decided to temporarily put Planum Commedia on hold until I finally start the Future Imperfect plot of ABR. This way I'll be able to set my priorities straight and not worry about doing two things at the same time. :smallsmile:

I am simultaneously gleeful and saddened.

Jokasti
2009-11-23, 08:50 PM
This is awesome. The attention to detail is just incredible. Great job.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-11-23, 09:10 PM
This is awesome. The attention to detail is just incredible. Great job.

Uh...If I'm not quite mistaken, you just necro'd this thread.:smallamused:

onasuma
2009-11-24, 02:43 AM
Necro doesnt really apply to threads in the fan comic section if ive understood the ruling properly.

kpenguin
2009-11-24, 04:19 AM
Indeed you have. Hopefully, we'll be seeing this return within a month or so, given the deadline MM's given himself for his current project.

Threeshades
2009-11-24, 06:08 AM
Nice comic, lots of potential, I shall stick around :smallcool:

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-11-24, 04:40 PM
Necro doesnt really apply to threads in the fan comic section if ive understood the ruling properly.

Ok, maybe not in the technical, against the rules way. But it has been a few months, and I think the general agreement is that it counts as "dormant" if either

A: the comic is dead, (in which case you shouldn't post,) or
B: the comic will come back soon, (in which case you should wait for the creator of the thread to raise the thread, instead of doing it yourself.)

In this case, I think it was a B scenario. But it's still good manners to wait for the author to actually, you know, say so in the thread before you post.

Sorry if I'm being nit-picky, that's just what I was told.

Mad Mask
2009-11-24, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the compliments, people. :smallsmile:

Emerald Phoenix, I don't mind the comments, the only thing they do is boost my interest in re-starting the project. Although I think the "Don't post until the authors says so" only applies to dead comics, not on-hiatus comics. The author usually appreciates those because they can help him for the next strip.

Keris
2009-11-24, 08:20 PM
Necro doesnt really apply to threads in the fan comic section.
Actually;

Thread Necromancy
The “one comic strip, one thread” rule means that practice of “Thread Necromancy” (posting to threads from months or years earlier to bring them back to the current page) will gain more leniency from the moderators in this forum, under certain circumstances. Specifically, the creator of a fan comic thread will be permitted to post to his thread to bring it out of “hiatus” at any time, even if it has fallen out of current use. (This does not mean you can constantly “bump” your strip to keep it at the top of the page!) Readers of comics, however, are limited to the normal message board rules regarding raising old threads. If a creator wants to let his comic drift down the forum list into oblivion, we suggest you don’t fight it.
Emphasis mine.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-11-24, 09:11 PM
Actually;

Emphasis mine.

*Does dance of victory*

HA!:smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Jokasti
2009-11-26, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the compliments, people. :smallsmile:

Emerald Phoenix, I don't mind the comments, the only thing they do is boost my interest in re-starting the project. Although I think the "Don't post until the authors says so" only applies to dead comics, not on-hiatus comics. The author usually appreciates those because they can help him for the next strip.

Does dance of victory!
So it's more like thread revivification.
Anyways, hope to see this pop up again.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-11-26, 07:37 PM
Does dance of victory!
So it's more like thread revivification.
Anyways, hope to see this pop up again.

Comments are not a defibrilator!:smalltongue::smallamused:

Jokasti
2009-11-26, 07:52 PM
Revivify is also a spell.

The Gremlin
2009-11-27, 02:49 PM
Revivify is also a spell.

Meh, I like Reincarnate more. Go druids!
...okay, let's not get the thread locked by going off-topic. Just shut up, everybody, and we'll leave the thread until MM returns. :smalltongue:

Elrond
2009-11-27, 09:27 PM
I like this alot the art is fantastic:smallbiggrin:

Mad Mask
2010-01-31, 03:50 PM
New comic is up. (http://www.kinogo.com/victor/pc/pc11.png)

I would have preferred something more spectacular for the end of the hiatus, but I already had a plan about where this was going.

CrimsonAngel
2010-01-31, 03:52 PM
I wonder who how (my bad) they'll fight.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-02, 01:41 AM
Heh, interesting.

Good to see this back.