PDA

View Full Version : Feats for a Paladin? [d20r/3.5]

Flickerdart
2009-06-13, 04:57 PM
In a 3rd level gestalt game, I'm playing a Paladin (Fax's homebrew). The campaign is set to take place in a flooded world. However, instead of the usual choice of "take a shark for a mount" I decided that swimming was for suckers and soaked up the LA for a Half-Fey Aasimar on one side of my gestalt. So now I fly, which means Mounted Combat and Spirited Charge aren't the feats for me.

I have one feat slot left over from flaws, after Power Attack, Flyby Attack and Reinforced Wings (for my Breastplate). What should I use it for, considering that I'll be spending most of my in-between-turn time in the air (after Flyby Attacks)? Something that may grant me iteratives on them might work nicely, or perhaps Dodge (to build up to Mobility and then Improved Fly-By Attack) even though it's not that great.

My HP's not stellar (24) so AoOs are going to eat away pretty fast, even with 18 points of Lay on Hands. AC is a respectable 18, so that's not too bad, next level I can take another mantle for CHA to AC, so that'll skyrocket.

Keld Denar
2009-06-13, 05:31 PM
Divine Might (CWarrior) allows you to add your Cha to damage for a full round at the expense of a TU attempt. Law Devotion from Complete Champion gives you a bonus to your AC or AB for 10 rounds, depending on your level. Both are REALLY good for a Paladin.

Flickerdart
2009-06-13, 05:37 PM
Fax's variant doesn't allow for Turning Undead unless you take the appropriate Mantle. My next level's will be Humility (CHA to AC), so I'd have to put off the Purity mantle (for turning Undead) off until 7th, meaning those will have to be my 9th and 12th feats, which is a good 6 and 9 levels away respectively.

AB isn't really a problem either, since I have +13 with my lance from the Honor mantle (CHA to melee attack), and Humility (CHA to AC) handles the AC component. But Divine Might does sound good, aside from PA, dive-charging and Smites, my damage isn't augmented.

Keld Denar
2009-06-13, 05:49 PM
Law Devotion by itself doesn't require TU. You take the feat, you get 1 use per day. If you want to use it again, you need to burn 3 TU attempts. Still, once per day, its great for "boss" type encounters.

Flickerdart
2009-06-13, 05:51 PM
Huh, you're right. Sweet, that's a definite option then, though it might get a bit redundant with Honor and Humility, wouldn't it?

Keld Denar
2009-06-13, 06:09 PM
Its not cha based at all. Its a fixed bonus based on your level. +3 til 5, +5 til 10, and +7 forever after. I don't remember what bonus type it is though.

Flickerdart
2009-06-13, 06:23 PM
It's Sacred, same as the two aforementioned Mantles, so it wouldn't stack.

Battle Blessing seems good, as I can swift-cast Divine Sacrifice at 5th level when it becomes available, and strike in the same turn. But that's a bit of a one-trick pony, and one that'll leave me bleeding out before long (with my poor 12 CON).

I currently went with Charm the Arrow, which replaces DEX with CHA to ranged attacks, so I have +10 to hit with my masterwork bow. If I run low on health, I could stay up high and pelt the enemy with arrows. 1d8+3 ain't bad.