PDA

View Full Version : Making my own game

Origomar
2009-06-13, 05:26 PM
I cant really find anyone that i know that is willing to DM a game for me and my friend so im taking it up for myself.

It looks like my friend is going to be a fighter taking feats and such to become a dragoonish character and im just going to be a ranger/assasin.

Ive used a monster generator to come up with some simple things we are going to be fighting.

The only books i have access to is the core rules online and the PH.

Basically the story is going to be simple and ill just make most of the stuff up on the way and there arent going to be any strict guidelines to what we are to do.

The story is something on the lines of his character is betraying his family because they are cruel dictators (and hes lawful good so that kind of messes things up :p) so hes going to a resistance which is a guerilla fighting force thats waging war on their oppressive lords(kind of generic but i dont want anything too complicated) And my character is an upper ranking member of said "resistance"

My guy will essentially help my friend fight and will have dialogue but will not choose any real descisions on where we should go what we should do ect. because i think it would be unfair because i know what will happen.

Any suggestions or tips which would make DMing the game and having a character in it easier?

Edit: Also we are both starting at level 5 because i dont want to be killing rats for 5 hours to gain a level :)

SSGoW
2009-06-13, 05:30 PM
make sure your character doesn't outshine (in or out of battle) or have all the answers for the main chracter for any puzzles that come up (that gets annoying FAST as my old DM did it >.<) also try to find someone else to play so that you wont have to cause if you outplay the player to much then your friend may get annoyed (whihc may cause out of game problems)

i made a NPC once that had horrible stats except for one (primarary stat) that way he was to weak to do much :p

MrEdwardNigma
2009-06-13, 05:33 PM
I believe a campaign with only one player would still be preferable to one with a DM PC.

Origomar
2009-06-13, 05:38 PM
Well again, my character isnt going to do much except shoot at stuff and when i can heal. i mean even if the character decides for some random reason he wants to kill a commanding officer he will go to jail then ill just spring him out or whatnot then we will be running away from both armies :)

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-13, 05:43 PM
My main suggestion would be; Recognise that in general, DM-PC's are frowned upon, because they tend to hog the spotlight, or be overly good, or any number of other things. Then don't worry about it. :)

I'd suggest playing it light, keeping things loose and not-too serious. If you're up for it, play your guy as pure sidekick matirial, go for laughs, get into trouble and have HIM rescue your guy, rather than the other way round. Stuff like that.
But mostly just make sure you're both having fun. ;)

Origomar
2009-06-13, 05:48 PM
My main suggestion would be; Recognise that in general, DM-PC's are frowned upon, because they tend to hog the spotlight, or be overly good, or any number of other things. Then don't worry about it. :)

I'd suggest playing it light, keeping things loose and not-too serious. If you're up for it, play your guy as pure sidekick matirial, go for laughs, get into trouble and have HIM rescue your guy, rather than the other way round. Stuff like that.
But mostly just make sure you're both having fun. ;)

B-b-but i was planning on giving myself Wand of Control the Gods! /sarcasm off

ya basically my character was just going to be a sidekick that was assigned to protect my friend. Ive never really played dm or a character before so i wanted to do both and i dont think my friend would like to go solo.

AslanCross
2009-06-13, 05:49 PM
My quick and dirty (but effective in my experience) solution to having too few players for the recommended 4 PCs: have players run multiple PCs. I think if he handles two PCs, that would be enough. DMPCs should be used with caution and avoided unless absolutely necessary.

SSGoW
2009-06-13, 06:06 PM
If you haven't been a DM or a player before then taking both roles may not be a good idea...

Origomar
2009-06-13, 10:22 PM
hmm i think i changed my mind, ill just be a DM and every once in a while(if the main character chooses) to throw in characters like ochul, where i control them and they are like a temporary party member but are not neccessary

Maerok
2009-06-14, 12:04 AM
That works. Observe the difference between a simple guide and a Mary Sue. If anything, when you need to have the PCs team up with NPCs, maybe send a few mooks/redshirts instead.

If you want, you and your friend could switch off between being players and DMs each chapter or however you want to arrange it.

Origomar
2009-06-14, 12:14 AM
That works. Observe the difference between a simple guide and a Mary Sue. If anything, when you need to have the PCs team up with NPCs, maybe send a few mooks/redshirts instead.

If you want, you and your friend could switch off between being players and DMs each chapter or however you want to arrange it.

Ya, my friend doesnt like reading manuals though(and i love reading them i dont know why) so i figured after the first session or second session he could try and take over nad one of the npcs would be uprgraded to pc for a small time or something :)